Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Default Adoption Lifebook

Has anyone put together a Lifebook for an adopted child? Our sweet girl is turning 5 soon and so far hasn't asked many questions, but I know they are coming. I have been trying to start on her Lifebook for months now but am paralyzed. For some reason I am feeling a lot of pressure to make it perfect and struggling with what to include, what not to include, etc. Anyone have any advice...or just encouragement to get me started??
Old 03-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

What a lovely idea. Just googled adoption life book and this is the 1st website that came up looks quite useful http://foreverparents.com/2008/01/ad...ife-books.html hope this helps get some ideas flowing
And this one http://crystal-killion.suite101.com/...ifebook-a46959
And another http://www.adoptivefamilies.com/articles.php?aid=1131

Last edited by winipeg1; 03-19-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Thank you for the links. I will take a look.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was adopted when I was around a year old. My parents never did a book - I think that would have been really neat! I hope you're able to come up with something that will put your mind at ease!! My parents decided to use a story - they told it to me from .... well, honestly I think they told it to me from the beginning. I don't remember NOT knowing. SO! I'm sure whatever you come up with, your little girl will be grateful for it and cherish it always. I know I do - that story is beyond precious to me!! I ever made a layout about it

Good luck!! I would love to see it when you get it finished (that is if you're sharing)
Old 03-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't done a lifebook for my adopted kids, per say. I have always scrapped about it because it is part of their story. I did a family life book when we were in the process of adopting though.......for the social workers and birth moms to look through.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did an "adoption story" book for my DD. It talks about us pre-kids and her pre-us and then how we all came together to make a famly. I talk about her biological parents but not in great detail because I feel like it's something that we should talk about amongst us and not necessarily just put down my view of things in a book. And I wanted her to be able to share the book with others if she wanted to but still let her decide what she wants to tell people about some of the details. Reading through it always sparks some questions and conversation, though, which is good.

It's a tough balance because you don't want it to be all superficial "and everybody lived happily ever after" stuff, but there are different levels of things that you address about adoption over time as kids grow, so you can't just put everything into a book to share with, say, a 2 year old. I suppose there's always the option to add more pages over time?
Old 03-20-2012, 12:26 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

[QUOTE=It's a tough balance because you don't want it to be all superficial "and everybody lived happily ever after" stuff, but there are different levels of things that you address about adoption over time as kids grow, so you can't just put everything into a book to share with, say, a 2 year old. I suppose there's always the option to add more pages over time?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think this is part of my problem. I want to be as honest and open as possible but what you share with a 5 year old vs. an 18 year old is very different. Maybe it can evolve over time as you suggest.