Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Default another makeup thread

Sell me on mineral makeup. I noticed from KCB's thread there are several Bare Minerals/Bare Escentuals users out there. Tell me why you love it? Does it provide good coverage? Will it work for sensitive skin?
Old 04-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have used it and do not love it as my main makeup. It doesn't give good enough coverage for me. Ever since being pregnant I have some dark splotchy spots that just don't cover up completely with the mineral powders. Also, in the summer here it is super hot and humid and the mineral makeup just doesn't last all day, I feel like I'm constantly re-applying. BUT. I do love Bare Minerals and since I still have it in my makeup stash, I will use it in the cooler months when I don't care about looking flawless. It feels like you're not even wearing makeup and it's great for your skin. Their blush is gorgeous, as well as the eye shadow. I still use those.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love it because now that I'm pushing 50 it gives me good coverage without settling into the fine lines around my eyes and mouth I have a ruddy complexion and it does a great job of taking the red out of my skin tone - I wear nothing else but mineral makeup. I use the foundation, finishing powder, and bronzer as well as the eye shadows when I wear full makeup. Most days I don't wear the eye shadow though.

I have the opposite effect when it's hot and humid here in the summer - regular cream/liquid makeups melt and slide right off my face but the BM powders last all day, but then I have very dry skin to begin with.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have only ever tried a few mineral makeups but I do believe that bare minerals contains bismuth oxychloride which can cause a reaction with people who have sensitive skin

The powders always make me feel dry and itchy.

I have tried everyday minerals and i didn't have a reaction to that one .
Old 04-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I was one of those faithful BM users, LOVED it, but I got the horrid cystic like acne and on my chin. I looked like the wicked witch of the wild west girl! *lol* So I had to stop and now use Everyday Minerals and don't have that reaction. I am gonna attempt to use MAC eyeshadow makeup so I'm super excited because I hear so many great reviews and this will be my 1st time using funny no?! I just love how those gals on You Tube apply their shadow work.....eye shadow work, that is. P
Old 04-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I really wanted to like it because it made my skin look flawless, but I had two problems with it. It didn't stay on because of the humidity (back when I lived in Arkansas, since there's none to speak of in Colorado), and I had a reaction to the bismuth oxychloride that it made my skin feel like it was burning. I did try it again now that I'm out of the humidity, but I still had the burning sensation.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I have fairly sensitive skin and have used Clinique for a long time and not had any problems with it. I just get tired of the whole foundation and powder routine - and since I'm getting older there is that whole wrinkle issue! I thought maybe mineral makeup would be an easy one step application but sounds like many of you have had issues with the bismuth oxychloride - I may just stick with what I know!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I didnt care for it either. I felt like I didnt get good coverage with their foundation like I do my Mary Kay foundation. Plus it really made my skin itch and I couldnt stand it.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I like that it looks natural. The normal ones feel so heavy to me and I didn't like all the work involved with applying it. Plus like Marie said, that stuff settles into everything. The mineral make ups are easy and light feeling. Also, I have senstive, acne prone skin and I have none of those issues others have mentioned. Every where that I know of that sells Bare Minerals will put it on you to try. Go into a store and check it out.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeet View Post
I was one of those faithful BM users, LOVED it, but I got the horrid cystic like acne and on my chin. I looked like the wicked witch of the wild west girl! *lol* So I had to stop and now use Everyday Minerals and don't have that reaction. I am gonna attempt to use MAC eyeshadow makeup so I'm super excited because I hear so many great reviews and this will be my 1st time using funny no?! I just love how those gals on You Tube apply their shadow work.....eye shadow work, that is. P
Wait this can happen? Because I switched to Bare Minerals a couple months ago and I've had a terrible time with breakouts in the my chin area since. It didn't occur to me it might be the makeup since I also changed up some of the other products I was using but now I'm wondering. Maybe I'll go back to the liquid foundation I was using and see. Sad because I really like the way Bare Minerals looks - its like my skin has been smoothed in Photoshop.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
Also, I have senstive, acne prone skin and I have none of those issues others have mentioned. Every where that I know of that sells Bare Minerals will put it on you to try. Go into a store and check it out.
Good advice. I may have to make a trip to Sephora!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
Wait this can happen? Because I switched to Bare Minerals a couple months ago and I've had a terrible time with breakouts in the my chin area since. It didn't occur to me it might be the makeup since I also changed up some of the other products I was using but now I'm wondering. Maybe I'll go back to the liquid foundation I was using and see. Sad because I really like the way Bare Minerals looks - its like my skin has been smoothed in Photoshop.
Yup and from what I have read, most women experience breakouts on the chin area when they have that reaction to the Bismuth O*** (however you spell it). That is why I went with Everyday Minerals and I'm a freak cuz I did my homework on makeup ingredients and this one, thus far, has been good to me. I use the Matte Finish and it gives me the same coverage like BM did as far as foundation is concerned, plus I love their concealer much more than BM's (wide awake or whatever it was called) LOL!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeet View Post
Yup and from what I have read, most women experience breakouts on the chin area when they have that reaction to the Bismuth O*** (however you spell it). That is why I went with Everyday Minerals and I'm a freak cuz I did my homework on makeup ingredients and this one, thus far, has been good to me. I use the Matte Finish and it gives me the same coverage like BM did as far as foundation is concerned, plus I love their concealer much more than BM's (wide awake or whatever it was called) LOL!
Oh ok, cool, I'll check them out!