Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-14-2018, 11:28 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default My photoshop/lightroom wishes

Are there certain things you wish were possible with the programs you scrap with?

For me.. hands down.. and if this is an option please share I would LOVE it if there was a lightroom plugin or something for photoshop because I would like to be able to have my photos in photoshop (which are already placed on my PL templates) and be able to click on that photo.. bring it into lightroom and have it automatically saved with the edits in lightroom (gosh it must be really annoying to read anything I type because of how poorly I write things haha)

I know I can bring a photo into photoshop easily from lightroom but It's not as easy the other way around..
Old 04-14-2018, 11:31 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I scrap from android which limursme biggie. I frown about my glitchy app that doesn't always produce the best quality ( sometimes I even have to just screen shot)

But if I could just do shadow styles and maybe photo masks I would sneeze glitter and rainbows
Old 04-15-2018, 01:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I can't think of anything on the top of my head...

oh yes! being able to select all layers at once and make all shadows a certain angle. I know it's possible if the "global light" icon is ticked. But otherwise you have to go through each one separately.

Kristin what do you do in Lightroom that you can't do in Photoshop? I always thought the programs were similar.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:21 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan37 View Post
Kristin what do you do in Lightroom that you can't do in Photoshop? I always thought the programs were similar.
I love processing my photos in lightroom soooo much more than I do in photoshop.

I subscribe to the adobe CC photographers plan so i have access to photoshop and lightroom for $10 per month (or something)

In lightroom you can see instantly what you're doing for correcting rather than running a photoshop action or going in adjusting levels/curves. I find it's way more time consuming in photoshop.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm big into customizing my workspace so it's efficient- one thing that I LOVE about CC is the 'color' option in toolbar items. It makes them stand out so if it's something I use often- like the wave filter- I can color it green, or red, or any of the 5 or 6 color options so my brain doesn't have to read the options. THE ONLY bad thing, it doesn't work in the panels you right click on- like in the layers panel when you right click on a layer- the color options don't show up there- which is where I work the most. Maybe in the next few updates that'll be added!?

Do you know what I mean? Clear as mud!? I can post a screenshot!
Old 04-15-2018, 02:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Screenshots:
I use Wave on many of my shadow layers- so I like to pick it out of the quickly!

To customize your color options- go to Edit -> Keyboard Shortcuts (or menus, but you can toggle between both tabs once you're in either dialogue box!) You can also toggle OFF the visibility of options- as I did for any of the Bridge options, as I don't use bridge. It's just nice to have LESS things on the menu list!

Old 04-15-2018, 02:52 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

i don't utilize that feature but maybe i should.. my workflow is a bit of a hot mess :P

hopefully they'll add it to panels soon for you!
Old 04-15-2018, 04:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
Screenshots:
I use Wave on many of my shadow layers- so I like to pick it out of the quickly!

To customize your color options- go to Edit -> Keyboard Shortcuts (or menus, but you can toggle between both tabs once you're in either dialogue box!) You can also toggle OFF the visibility of options- as I did for any of the Bridge options, as I don't use bridge. It's just nice to have LESS things on the menu list!

Can you tell me what exactly you change with the Wave filter? I love the look of altered shadows but I don't do it. I'd love to try.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

oh yes! being able to select all layers at once and make all shadows a certain angle. I know it's possible if the "global light" icon is ticked. But otherwise you have to go through each one separately.

If all of your layers that have the global light option checked will change when you change the angle on one layer. If you're using presets that don't have the global light box checked, I would check it and re-save them! Another way to do it, is to right click on your layer style from your layers palette and copy the style. Then you can paste that style (which includes the angle of the shadow) to multiple layers concurrently by right clicking and choosing paste layer style. HTH!

Last edited by SeattleSheri; 04-15-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
Are there certain things you wish were possible with the programs you scrap with?

For me.. hands down.. and if this is an option please share I would LOVE it if there was a lightroom plugin or something for photoshop because I would like to be able to have my photos in photoshop (which are already placed on my PL templates) and be able to click on that photo.. bring it into lightroom and have it automatically saved with the edits in lightroom (gosh it must be really annoying to read anything I type because of how poorly I write things haha)

I know I can bring a photo into photoshop easily from lightroom but It's not as easy the other way around..
I don't think this completely solves your issue, but when I save a file I've moved from the LR to PS, it saves a copy (as a TIFF since that's how I have my preferences set) and then that new version also shows up in LR without me having to do anything - no transfer needed.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:04 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I don't think this completely solves your issue, but when I save a file I've moved from the LR to PS, it saves a copy (as a TIFF since that's how I have my preferences set) and then that new version also shows up in LR without me having to do anything - no transfer needed.
not really

I have all my photos inserted to my templates already but I wish they were edited in lightroom.. I guess I wish lightroom worked as a plugin like totally rad so that I could just click on the one photo.. open up the plugin and have it edited right there.. I'll have to go searching through to find all my photos or re-save and then insert them again if i want to edit with lightroom. It's mostly that I wasn't thinking prior to organizing and setting up my pages.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

In LR, I wish there were more options for adjustment brushes. I like the features that are currently included, but I'd love to be able to adjust the curves in just one area of a photo instead of having to use a combination of other features to achieve the same affect. I also wish there was a way to adjust the opacity of the brush (density is just not the same). I guess I'd rather have a tool bar like in PS instead of having to select a new brush and adjusting the settings of it (or choosing one of my adjustment tool presets)
Old 04-15-2018, 05:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
not really

I have all my photos inserted to my templates already but I wish they were edited in lightroom.. I guess I wish lightroom worked as a plugin like totally rad so that I could just click on the one photo.. open up the plugin and have it edited right there.. I'll have to go searching through to find all my photos or re-save and then insert them again if i want to edit with lightroom. It's mostly that I wasn't thinking prior to organizing and setting up my pages.
Well shucks, I totally glazed over about the template! I wish PS and LR were integrated into one program!
Old 04-15-2018, 05:28 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Well shucks, I totally glazed over about the template! I wish PS and LR were integrated into one program!
me too!!
Old 04-15-2018, 07:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
If all of your layers that have the global light option checked will change when you change the angle on one layer. If you're using presets that don't have the global light box checked, I would check it and re-save them! Another way to do it, is to right click on your layer style from your layers palette and copy the style. Then you can paste that style (which includes the angle of the shadow) to multiple layers concurrently by right clicking and choosing paste layer style. HTH!
Thanks Sheri. All of my own shadows have the Global Light ticked on. But I was referring to using templates that sometimes don't have them ticked on. And if I don't replace the shadows with my own because I like the way they look, then I have to redo them all one by one. I should just get into the habit of replacing them with my own.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
In LR, I wish there were more options for adjustment brushes. I like the features that are currently included, but I'd love to be able to adjust the curves in just one area of a photo instead of having to use a combination of other features to achieve the same affect.
In Photoshop there is a way to do that with using a layer mask. Not Lightroom?
Old 04-16-2018, 12:29 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
In Photoshop there is a way to do that with using a layer mask. Not Lightroom?
In LR, curves and several other options are not included with the adjustment brush tool You have to use exposure, highlights, shadows, whites and black to manipulate the image if you don't want to apply it to the full image.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:45 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Thanks Sheri. All of my own shadows have the Global Light ticked on. But I was referring to using templates that sometimes don't have them ticked on. And if I don't replace the shadows with my own because I like the way they look, then I have to redo them all one by one. I should just get into the habit of replacing them with my own.
Yeah, I've noticed a few template designers who use styles without global light. I almost always restyle my pages, but occasionally I'll find a rogue layer at a different angle.

The copy/paste option would still work for the layers on the template that have the same shadow. Just check the global box first, copy the style and paste it to those other layers all at once so you don't have to go into the layer styles each time. Not a perfect solution, but saves a little bit of time! I've been using the layer type filter on the layers palette to isolate similar layers ... for example, you can use the name option to just show similarly named layers like "photo" or "paper" which usually have the same styles. I find this feature to be nice when I'm trying to apply a style multiple layers when there are lots of layers.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:43 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Can you tell me what exactly you change with the Wave filter? I love the look of altered shadows but I don't do it. I'd love to try.
I usually change the generator between 3-5; the wavelength 1-999 & the Amplitude 1- 5 (sometimes up to 10!) If you do more than one shadow but you don't want the exact same distortion- you can just hit the randomize button & it'll keep your settings but make it random!

Old 04-16-2018, 04:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I've been using the layer type filter on the layers palette to isolate similar layers ... for example, you can use the name option to just show similarly named layers like "photo" or "paper" which usually have the same styles. I find this feature to be nice when I'm trying to apply a style multiple layers when there are lots of layers.
Oh I've never even thought or noticed that there is a search option! That's nice!
Old 04-16-2018, 05:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I usually change the generator between 3-5; the wavelength 1-999 & the Amplitude 1- 5 (sometimes up to 10!) If you do more than one shadow but you don't want the exact same distortion- you can just hit the randomize button & it'll keep your settings but make it random!

Awesome thanks! I'll have to try it!
Also I can't click on your screenshot to see it bigger. It keeps sending me to a login yahoo page.

Also just a thought since you mentioned wanting to find Wave quickly. Have you thought of creating your own Action while using the wave filter. Then you can set a keyboard shortcut and you would be even faster!
For example I have my "resize layout for web" as an action (I added sharpen too) and when I'm done with my layout I flatten it and press F3 and it does it all for me. That might be a cool action to create to be even faster for your Wave filter. And by the way I'm gonna start using it! I love the look! I always tried to alter my shadows but it was manually with the mouse and it took forever.

Last edited by Leablahblah; 04-16-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I get frustrated with not being able to apply a customized shadow to a few layers. But then I make the style, go to it and select. It's jumping corners, but it works.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Awesome thanks! I'll have to try it!
Also I can't click on your screenshot to see it bigger. It keeps sending me to a login yahoo page.

Also just a thought since you mentioned wanting to find Wave quickly. Have you thought of creating your own Action while using the wave filter. Then you can set a keyboard shortcut and you would be even faster!
For example I have my "resize layout for web" as an action (I added sharpen too) and when I'm done with my layout I flatten it and press F3 and it does it all for me. That might be a cool action to create to be even faster for your Wave filter. And by the way I'm gonna start using it! I love the look! I always tried to alter my shadows but it was manually with the mouse and it took forever.
Hm- here's a larger shot-

I have thought about making an action/shortcut but since I change the options so often (never have the same, I'm not sure it'd be worth it!) I DID make an action, & shortcut to seperate layer styles & then select the shadow layer. So all I do is hit f2 (my shortcut) then hit ctrl + W (shortcut I made for warping)! That alone has sped up my workflow!

I also made a shortcut (ctrl + shift + c) to copy layer style and (ctrl + shift + v) to paste layer style. That way if I have a bunch of flowers, or papers or something similar- I can copy one style that I like & then paste it to all the layers I've selected I LOVE making my own shortcuts! lol!
Old 04-17-2018, 04:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Hm- here's a larger shot-

I have thought about making an action/shortcut but since I change the options so often (never have the same, I'm not sure it'd be worth it!) I DID make an action, & shortcut to seperate layer styles & then select the shadow layer. So all I do is hit f2 (my shortcut) then hit ctrl + W (shortcut I made for warping)! That alone has sped up my workflow!

I also made a shortcut (ctrl + shift + c) to copy layer style and (ctrl + shift + v) to paste layer style. That way if I have a bunch of flowers, or papers or something similar- I can copy one style that I like & then paste it to all the layers I've selected I LOVE making my own shortcuts! lol!
Ah good! I'm glad you have something that helps you be faster.