Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2016, 06:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Backing up brushes, styles, actions etc

How do you make sure they are backed up? Dealing with an unexpected service call for my laptop (under warranty I hope) at the moment but was unable to do a back up before the screen stopped working. The service company said they will back up my data and I asked if they would go into my ps program folders to grab the brushes etc and they said no at this stage so am a bit frustrated cause I bought most of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 05-20-2016, 07:53 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I keep my actions and brushes in folders on my desktop and on my external hard drive for back up (so they are also backed up with backblaze - or whatever other cloud service you may use if you use one). But if I have ever had a crash/had to reformat I do have to reload them. I still have the actions/brushes I bought but they do need reloaded. It's helpful for the ones you make too. A bit of a pain to reload them but better than losing them completely.

I'm not sure if there is a better/easier way - I'm sure there is I just don't know what it is.

I'm sorry you are having issues - computer issues are the worst!
Old 05-20-2016, 09:12 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

If you bought them, you should have the files on your computer. Photoshop itself doesn't 'hold' the files. All of the brushes and actions are stored in a folder on your computer. When you load them into Photoshop, you show it where they are on your hard drive.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
If you bought them, you should have the files on your computer. Photoshop itself doesn't 'hold' the files. All of the brushes and actions are stored in a folder on your computer. When you load them into Photoshop, you show it where they are on your hard drive.

I loaded them directly into the preset folders so dont have a back up which is why I had a freak out when the service place said they wouldnt go in to the preset folders and get them out

Scrappy Instagram

Old 06-03-2016, 06:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well good news, I got my laptop back with a new lcd screen, bios update and fan cleaned out, with all my data incl presets still on it but I will be backing up my presets from now on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scrappy Instagram

Old 06-03-2016, 01:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

Glad to hear you still have all your presets and computer all fixed up.

I keep my originals separate but still keep a backup of the my photoshop preferences folder that holds all the presets, actions, brushes etc. I try to re-save my brushes and actions sets from PS every few months since I update and change things every now and then.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

If you're in PS, you can save your brushes as a one aggregated new abr file by clicking on the little arrow on the upper right hand side of the palette --> Save Brushes --> navigate to the location you want to store a copy and name your file. Same process works for styles and actions. This ensures all of your brushes, styles, actions are one filer per type and it captures anything that you've custom made Glad everything was saved for you!