Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default Oh this is so embarassing....

OK you 'hybrided' godesses, I have no paper experience to fall back on and am about to put together my first Maya Road album. I am going to do the sanding, inking thing, but ummm, don't really know how to ink in the 3D world (I am great with the Atomic Cupcake inking action though!!). What do I need to own and do to achieve the ink look. And what size sandpaper do you use? Thanks in advance for holding my hand through this scary time.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm so glad you're trying hybrid! It's incredible!

I don't use really course sandpaper but not too fine either. Somewhere in the middle (or whatever I have in the house). Just sand up the edges like you would the rough edges of a piece of wood.

You need ink pads to ink the edges...here's 2 I recommned: Versa Mark Dew Drops and Colorbox Cat Eye inks. You want ones that will dry quickly. The Cat Eyes come in pigment ink and chalking ink - you want chalking because those dry quickly without the help of embossing powders. I personally like the Versa Mark ones. They are sold in singles at scrapbook stores (my local scrapbook store has them at least) or sometimes I buy the 4 packs available at Michael's or Joann's (w/one of their coupons of course!). All you have to do is hold the ink pad in your hand (they're small) at an angle and with the ink in your hand run it along the side of a page. I have an example of a maya road album in my gallery (arrow album "Cherry Blossom Festival") if you want to see the edges inked (I did them in purple for that album). It's really just trial and error. Don't expect it to be perfect - inking the edges is supposed to be grungy anyway! You may want to practice on a scrap sheet of paper before committing to the album.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I use the Making Memories Sanding Block for my sanding..I do find though I end up using one end more than others and go thru it rather quickly...

I'm cheap when it comes to ink :0x I need to invest in some good ink instead of the cheapy ink that I buy now lol..

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 04-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I just use the cheap files for acrylic fingernails - the ones that are usually two sided with a sheet of foam between. The coarser sides usually works best for me. I hold the file perpendicular to the edge of the chipboard and swipe downward. Usually a fresh file will cut through the paper in one or two swipes. As for ink, I've used Colorbox cat eye pigment ink, Hero arts pigment ink squares, an antiquing dye ink pad from Micheals and even acrylic paint on a small piece of sponge. Just experiment on a piece of cardboard first to get the hang of it. Good luck!
Old 04-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Another one who hit up the beauty supply store and stocked up on nail files and blocks. They're only about .99 cents each and they rock!!

R
Old 04-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mandy

I 2nd the Colorbok Chalk Inks. I LOVEEEEEE them! I used them a lot when I did paper scrapping.

This may help you too! 5 Ways To Ink Edges

Old 04-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

TY Mandy for the link...so helpful!
Old 04-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love the Cat's Eye pads and also The Distress Ink Pads by Ranger.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a chalk inker too...i have about 15 different colors and use them all the time.....I also hit the beauty supply store for sanding blocks, same thing less $$$$$$$$ Maybe someday I wall actually print my stuff and get them on my albums

Proudly creating for:
LCC by Amy Stoffel, Cori Gammon, DIGI SCRAP ADDICTS Site CT,
Faith True, Geek Chic Scraps, Jac Bernardo, Laura Banasiak, Litabells Designs, Kelley Mickus, Micheline Martin Designs, Nikki Epperson,
Penny Springmann, SCRAP ORCHARD Site CT, THE DAILY SCRAPPER Site CT
Old 04-13-2008, 08:22 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

yep, colorbox chalk inks are my fav too. I think I'm using the same nail file as Heather for my edges. Yay, for cheap supplies!
Old 04-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Oh I knew I could count on you gals!!
Thank you so much. I think I can actually do this (after I go to Micheals and then get do my nails!! ) .
Old 04-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For sanding, the Making Memories block is the best - I haven't been able to find it at Michaels, though. For ink, I swear by the Ranger Distressing pads - they have a great Walnut Ink pad. But really any ink pad with the pad above the base and dye-based ink (the chalk ones count here, too) will work. But the Distressing pads are designed to be used for inking edges and other "rough" work - they last forever without breaking down (I've had my Walnut ink one for more than 2 years and I still haven't needed to re-ink it). Some of the foam-y pads tend to break down when using them to ink frequently (but they're great for stamping images).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fan of ALL the designers at: