Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2014, 07:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default So, How I met your mother finale-Spoliers!

What did you think?

If you haven't watched it yet, don't click, spoilers I'm sure will come.

So, I liked it. I always kind of thought Robin and Ted belonged together, it's a shame they killed the mom off, because she perfect for him. But I thought it was a nice that Ted still had that wife and children he always wanted, but he also got the girl he always wanted.

I didn't however love this season.

I don't understand why they spent so much time on the wedding for it to fail in the end.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I'm still mentally processing it. I go through moments where I'm like, Yes, I liked it. And others where I don't like it all.

I know that I liked Barney's story the best. It seems the most authentic to his character over the years. And the look on his face when he met his true love was perfection.

I'm also glad that the writer's didn't try to introduce some artificial conflict into Lily and Marshall's relationship. I love them too much! They're adorable!
Old 04-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclelady View Post
I know that I liked Barney's story the best. It seems the most authentic to his character over the years. And the look on his face when he met his true love was perfection.
I liked that too.. but man. THIRTY ONE. that was ick haha
Old 04-01-2014, 09:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I do think they tied Barney up nicely! I loved when he scolded the girls at the bar. LOL!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I mostly don't like it. I found some things completely out of character. For example, Ted and Tracy not getting married for 7 years. No, if Tracy said she didn't want to get married while she was showing the Ted I've been watching would have thrown together a very sweet ceremony almost immediately. Not waited 7 years. The only reason I can think that they did that was so they could show Robin coming to the wedding after being away from the group.

I feel like they planned the ending in the second season (they had the kids tape their part because they were growing up) and then stuck with it even though the characters went to places they didn't plan back in the 2nd season. I have a lot of issues but the biggest is that I feel that they've spent the entire last season telling us Barney and Robin were meant to be together and giving us glimpses that Ted was about to meet the love of his life... and now I'm supposed to be OK with the mother dying, Barney and Robin divorcing and Ted ending up with Robin. I just can't forget an entire season.

I won't be watching the creators new show, even though for many, many years this was my favorite show. I just don't want to invest years in a show to have the ending not be satisfying.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i read somewhere that the writers felt like they had completely screwed up by not putting robin and ted together earlier in the series. i think they wanted to rectify that even though they were already entangled in the whole robin/barney story. lame that the whole season was centered around that dang wedding - but at least they put the people together that i always felt should have been together in the first place!!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

The last episodes had too many emotions for me to process in 1 hr. By the end I felt like I had run an emotional marathon and was a wreak. The idea of Ted finally finding the love of his life and her dying, Barney and Robin only lasting 3 years, the group falling apart, Robin realizing she really wanted to be with Ted once he was happy with someone else...it was just too much sadness to overcome before the happy ending part. I like the final ending, but they went about it the wrong way. It was like they tried to fit another entire season into 1 hr.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:42 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I agree that they could have done this whole last episode based off what happened in that single finale.

As a whole, Season 9 was a mess I thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Barrette View Post
The last episodes had too many emotions for me to process in 1 hr. By the end I felt like I had run an emotional marathon and was a wreak. The idea of Ted finally finding the love of his life and her dying, Barney and Robin only lasting 3 years, the group falling apart, Robin realizing she really wanted to be with Ted once he was happy with someone else...it was just too much sadness to overcome before the happy ending part. I like the final ending, but they went about it the wrong way. It was like they tried to fit another entire season into 1 hr.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:10 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Sounds like a soap opera episode. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-02-2014, 09:33 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I, too, have mixed feelings... I've been a loyal watcher of this show for the last 8 years... but this year, I just could not get into it... to spend the whole season on a 3 day weekend and then rush 15 years in an hour?

I would have been happy if they left it at and "that is how I met your mother"... and maybe a song montage of the classic moments through out the years and it really is a story on friendship... I didn't care for the after 6 yrs of Ted finally found "the one" that passed away, he shows up at Robin's... what happens now? Ted okay with Robin's traveling for work? If Barney couldn't do it... Ted is way more clingy!
Old 04-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I, too, have mixed feelings... I've been a loyal watcher of this show for the last 8 years... but this year, I just could not get into it... to spend the whole season on a 3 day weekend and then rush 15 years in an hour?

I would have been happy if they left it at and "that is how I met your mother"... and maybe a song montage of the classic moments through out the years and it really is a story on friendship... I didn't care for the after 6 yrs of Ted finally found "the one" that passed away, he shows up at Robin's... what happens now? Ted okay with Robin's traveling for work? If Barney couldn't do it... Ted is way more clingy!
I was happy with robin and barney ending up together.. and ted finally meeting the love of his life and it just ending like that too....

Barney totally could have been happy with all of Robin's traveling.. he could have passed along his playbook ways to all the boys in the different countries :P haha
Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I can see the appeal of bookending the series with the same scene(ish) from the beginning as if it was destiny for R. + T. to end up together, but if that were to be the case, I think they owed it to their fans to show a change in R. and/or T. to justify ending up together.

Instead of hitting year after year of unnecessary milestones (e.g. M. + L. are great, but I don't need to know how many kids, their jobs, etc. as long as I know they stay together) for the whole gang and showing R. and T. continuing to be themselves, only without any interaction with one another, they could have spent that time showing R. becoming softer (or T. becoming less womanly). Not that I would have wanted them to show some sexual tension-filled scene in while the Mom was still around, but SOMETHING to justify throwing them together when everyone knows they are not going to work as they are.

T.'s scene with his children at the end of the show is the perfect example of how exactly the same he is: still seeking validation & approval, still insecure with himself, still in denial abt who he is (and who R. is). Even though he's 45? 50? at that point, he's no different than he was at the beginning of the series. There's not even a conversation at the end where he could have acknowledged their journey, trying to be different, etc. -- just waving that horn around as if that makes it all okay.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think their major differences were the facts that Ted wanted & needed children & a wife. Robin didn't. He got that with the mother, and it was perfect. So that issue is completely eliminated from their relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This season was the worst, it just sucked. I've always had a soft spot for the show and have watched since the beginning. I was meh about the finale, there were things I really liked and things that didn't jive with me. I don't think Ted would have waited to marry Tracy. It wasn't the worst finale but it could have been better and I think I'd have felt better about it if this season hadn't been so disappointing.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to haydensmommy217

I like this ending much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0caCEG1nH3E

Proudly Creating For:
Amanda Yi, Becca Bonneville, Digilicious Designs, Jady Day Studio, Lliella Designs, Meghan Mullens, and Miss Fish.
I have guested for Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Traci Reed, and Krystal Hartley.

♥♥Facebook♥♥Pinterest♥♥Gallery♥♥
Old 04-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

I thought it was perfect. Life doesn't always have a happy ending.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I didn't love or hate it, but we didn't get to watch until last night so I'd already seen spoilers before we watched. I think most surprising to me was when we were only 10 minutes from the end and they hadn't killed off the mother yet. I think maybe the finale would have had more impact if they'd spread out what happened over the season rather than having it be 90% filler of a wedding that was never going to matter.

I tend to agree the writers had this idea of Ted & Robin ending up together from the beginning but it just didn't fit for me at that point in the story. I actually liked that Barney and Robin didn't last since that seems most authentic to their story but killing off the mother just so they can put Robin & Ted together at the last minute? I don't get that. It made what Ted & the mother have seem that less special which to me isn't authentic to Ted's story at all.

Overall I much prefer the fan edit of the finale that's been floating around to the actual finale, but I definitely didn't hate it as much as I hated the Lost finale.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

basically i think that titling this series 'How I Met Your Mother' and then have it NOT be about that at all was a bit of an epic fail on the writers part.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:46 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I JUST watched it. I still have tears on my cheeks. I seriously bawled from start to finish. So many unanswered questions but overall I loved it.

I cried so hard when Barney met his daughter. So many feelings.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flergs View Post
I JUST watched it. I still have tears on my cheeks. I seriously bawled from start to finish. So many unanswered questions but overall I loved it.

I cried so hard when Barney met his daughter. So many feelings.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
Barney meeting his daughter was definitely my favorite part!