Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Well said Bree!

Old 01-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
I agree with Lynnette..40% is a HUGE discount...and it should be worked for.
This kind of comment really bothers me. I am thankful for ANY discount, but this comment implies that we didn't work for it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
These kind of threads deflate me so much b/c we work so hard to make sure you gals and guy are happy. Of course we welcome the suggestions and you know we'll do all we can to make sure the challenges are enjoyable and achievable for everybody.
I don't believe that anyone here was knocking the new challenge structure or the amount of work that you all put into the challenges here. Just because I don't care for it, doesn't mean that I was knocking it. I did say that I am one that doesn't like change, and that this new structure will grow on me.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny

Ok, just to clear things up...

For me, I don't mind working hard for a big discount. I mean, 40% off is a BIG discount and I think it should be challenging (pardon the pun) to get that discount. If you want it bad enough, you'll do what it takes to get it, ya know?

With that said, I feel like there are some good suggestions being put out there. And to be told over and over again basically, "no, you're wrong" is pretty off-putting. We are the customers and we are allowed to have opinions. And *some* of those opinions should maybe be taken into consideration. We're not all looking for free hand-outs. Just some consideration as customers of a very successful store.

I hope I didn't offend anyone or hurt anyone's feelings. SSD will always be my home and I will always do the majority of my digi shoppping here. I'm here for the friendships and the quality of product, not the discounts.

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 01-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

i can promise you that the revamp of the challenges was in now way a blow to our community to make a (very generous, very uncommon) discount so hard to get. our first priority in changing things was just to start 2009 with a fresh approach and to offer up daily inspiration to you guys...our family...our friends!

it breaks my heart that such harsh opinions have been stated. while i feel like your entitled to them, i think some of them could've been handled with a little more finesse. a little more understanding that yes, this format is new and yes there may be some kinks we need to unravel.

i'm sorry for the babble. please just know that everyday behind the scenes. EVERY SINGLE DAY. we are always planning and scheming on fun new ideas for you guys. new things to keep SSD the fun fresh place it has always been. not ways to make your lives more difficult.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
This kind of comment really bothers me. I am thankful for ANY discount, but this comment implies that we didn't work for it before.

I don't believe that anyone here was knocking the new challenge structure or the amount of work that you all put into the challenges here. Just because I don't care for it, doesn't mean that I was knocking it. I did say that I am one that doesn't like change, and that this new structure will grow on me.
I'm always resistant to change, myself...I have a hard time with it for the first little while! But I do hope that everyone gives the new structure a fair shake!

I will be honest and say that not ONCE before I became a designer here did I actually earn enough to get a Sweet Rewards discount, lol. I just don't scrap that much and the amount of challenges would overwhelm me. I think if I tried to earn the discount now, this new structure would be better *for me* because it's just a little at a time. But I can see how the old way would have worked better for others as well.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No need to be sad or deflated, Meg & Manda et al.

We're just sharing our thoughts. I still like you guys & SSD, just not the challenge structure. I don't expect that just because I don't like something means it should or has to change for the site at large. I'm just one member, and I know that. I can either follow the rules for the challenges or abstain from them altogether. That's all.

I'm not advocating that other people change their minds or follow my lead, just stating my opinion.

ETA: It's nothing personal against any particular person or anyone behind the scenes. Of course, there will always be parts of the story that I don't know because I do not have the same access that designers and Babes do to the backend of things. This is just how I see it as a regular ol' average customer & scrapper.

Last edited by LeeAndra; 01-29-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I really hope that I am not one of those on the harsh comment list. The challenges are what brought me here two years ago, but the people are what kept me here.

I love that we have the chance to work for discounts by doing challenges and for the most part, I love all the challenges. I am not into hybrid, so sorry hybrid peeps, those are the challenges that I don't care for or do.

I just don't care for the new system. Like I said, I really don't care for change, but this will grow on me. I do like the deadlines because it gives us an extra incentive to get it done. That doesn't bother me. I guess it's that I like to have a list of stuff to do, and with doing one a day, I can't check my list off. I know it sounds anal, but that's me. LOL

I like to get my challenges done within a day or two of them being posted to avoid that chance that I'll forget to get it done. I do appreciate all the work that goes into doing this. I was the points keeper at The Digi Shoppe before it went down and it is a LOT of work. So, if this new way makes Meggy's job easier, and it's easier for the Babes, then that's great!!
Old 01-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I know nobody meant to hurt feelings or upset anyone...I agree, everyone should be allowed to express their opinions. These girls (the Babes and Robin especially) pour so much of themselves into planning and every change is discussed extensively, so when something negative is said, it is going to sting a little bit.

That being said, this is the first month of the new structure, and we may find ways to make it work a little bit better, and iron out some kinks. Please just be patient and know that we value EVERY member of the community and want this to be a fun, inspiring place to hang out (and shop, lol)!
Old 01-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

Well I feel the need to go on record as saying...

I didn't mean to make anyone sad.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful.

I do work very hard for my points. Did when I began the challenges last March and earned 40% in 11 days by buckling down and doing every challenge I could. I do still work hard today.

I know you girls behind the scenes work very hard and get very tied to the immense amount of work it takes to keep us inspired on the front end. It makes it personal for you.

I do think there are some very valuable ideas being voiced here, I agree with Jenny. The challenges have been dynamic the entire time I've been an active member of this site. Since I've been here, things have changed SO many times. Challenges have been added, challenges have been taken away. Cookies were twice a month. Then they were four times a month. Then, they were gone. Then, they were thirty times a month. Then, they were twice a month.

I'm trying to go with the flow...I'm a lifer. But my point is, things have been dynamic in the past. I don't understand why they must be so rigid now.

I can give up my second point for a new release. No biggie I can check in every day for a challenge, no problem I'm just saying that it doesn't hurt to listen to the suggestions.

Meg has now told us that the cookie was the last scrapping challenge this month. THAT would have been FANTASTIC to know! I can tell you atleast 2 challenges I would have skipped were I SURE that the last couple of challenges wouldn't have been things that weren't my taste. I don't understand why an overview is impossible? I'd LOVE to see what I have to look forward to! I mean, based on the first week of the month, I could have expected 8 hybrid challenges this month. I was panicked. I know a lot of other peopel were too. Yes, change is scary. And not knowing is scary too. I think a lot of people mulled around all month, waiting to see how things panned out. Now that they HAVE panned out, people want to have their say. Want to have their opinions heard. That should be embraced

((hugs))
Old 01-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post

Sorry my comment bothered you Paula..was not my intention. I never said the coupon wasn't being worked for before...NEVER....I know how hard it was to earn 40% off..I did it plenty of times before I was a babe

I never said anything about knocking it either..I welcomed the suggestions--but what started out as a simple thread asking how you (NOT YOU..but you in general) were doing with the challenges and people took the liberty to slam and the harshness came out. It's one thing to state an opinion and tell how you feel, but no need to bash challenges that earn a discount. We could be like the majority of sites out there that give you fun (albeit copied) challenges and you earn nothing...There's plenty that do that.

Anyways as I said I welcome the suggestions and if we see something that can be changed to benefit the customers then it's something of course we'd consider. DO NOT think for a minute that the customers are being told no you are wrong or their suggestions or comments ignored. Everybody knows that customers are what keep a site going and make it successful. Your wants do get listened to.

Not everybody is going to be completely happy all the time. We can't satisfy everybody. It's impossible as we're all so different.

Melissa..I know you didn't start the thread with anticipating it turning into this...no worries

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 01-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaBrandenburg View Post

Meg has now told us that the cookie was the last scrapping challenge this month. THAT would have been FANTASTIC to know! I can tell you atleast 2 challenges I would have skipped were I SURE that the last couple of challenges wouldn't have been things that weren't my taste. I don't understand why an overview is impossible? I'd LOVE to see what I have to look forward to! I mean, based on the first week of the month, I could have expected 8 hybrid challenges this month. I was panicked. I know a lot of other peopel were too. Yes, change is scary. And not knowing is scary too. I think a lot of people mulled around all month, waiting to see how things panned out. Now that they HAVE panned out, people want to have their say. Want to have their opinions heard. That should be embraced

((hugs))
I actually said that earlier in the month..not sure when or what thread--it was pretty random, but I said there would be no LO challenges with the exception of a cookie at the end of the month.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 01-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I understand Meg. Thanks for taking the time to clarify your comment.

To be honest, I've gone back and read this thread and I thought the comments for and against have been respectful. I haven't read any comments that I thought were harsh, but some have and that's ok. If any of mine sounded that way, then I am truly sorry because I didn't mean to sound harsh at all.

I've said it numerous times, I am one of those that doesn't do well with change. The new system will grow on me, after all, it's only the first month. I do look forward to looking and seeing what the new challenge is for the day. It's kind of fun to anticipate what it will be. I really hope you guys don't put up a list of what challenges will be offered on what days - that would take the fun out of it for me.

Anyway, I do appreciate all the work it takes to go into the challenges and keeping track of the points. Like I said, I was the challenge coordinator and points keeper at TDS before it shut down and it is a LOT of work.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I think the reason for there being no overview of what's to come is that not knowing is what makes it fun and exciting. You never know what fun new challenge to expect when you get up in the morning.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodoNY0123 View Post
I think the reason for there being no overview of what's to come is that not knowing is what makes it fun and exciting. You never know what fun new challenge to expect when you get up in the morning.
Or when you are stalking the forums late at night waiting for the next challenge. I have totally been know to do that and I know I'm not alone!! LOL!!

Old 01-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions. I'm sorry I didnt get to this thread sooner as I've been spending time with Rocky and the kids but I wanted to take a few minutes to get back to you with some of my thoughts.

This thread represents a wide range of views on our new challenge structure, some love it and find it's working for them and some don't care for it and find it isnt. I think the same can be said of every challenge system we've ever had in place.

For example, when we had a the bonus point for new releases, we had some people who couldnt afford to shop every weekend feel like they were excluded from getting that point and therefore earning the 40% was more difficult for them at that time.

When I came up with the new Challenge-A-Day format for 2009 - I thought it would be a way to address the people who said they couldnt get enough of our challenges and hated waiting a week to see the new ones. For me, what better way to address that than posting something to inspire you guys to have fun and get creative EVERY single day?

As this is the first month for the new system, I hope you guys will give it a chance to work for you. Like many of you, I am resistant to changes in my routine so I can understand the intial discomfort but I sincerely believe that this format evens the playing field among creative team members and non, people with big budgets and those without them, stay at home moms and those who work full time - it's a 1 challenge to 1 point system that I think is the most fair, straightforward and uncomplicated we've ever had.

I know that we cant please 100% of you 100% of the time, but know that we sure try and I'll be touching base with the team to take some of the suggestions made in this thread into consideration.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,
Robin
Old 01-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmos75 View Post
Or when you are stalking the forums late at night waiting for the next challenge. I have totally been know to do that and I know I'm not alone!! LOL!!
nope, you are not alone!

Old 01-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

On the tracker it says I have 11 points, but once it's updated I should have 22 I think.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've done enough for my 40%!!!! Yay!!!!! I've been adding so many kits to my wish list so I can get them at 40% off! I've been wanting MANY of the new releases, but since they're ust 20% off, and there's no extra point to use NEW stuff, I can wait and get a larger discount!

Now I hope I don't empty my paypal account buying the ones off of my wish list! LOL!

(this is my 1st month participating in the challlenges, so I can't compare it to others)
Old 01-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Carlton View Post

...when we had a the bonus point for new releases, we had some people who couldnt afford to shop every weekend feel like they were excluded from getting that point and therefore earning the 40% was more difficult for them at that time.

The new challenge structure seems very fair to me, Robin. I haven't done any other months so I don't really know how they've worked in the past, but I can tell you that I don't shop every week- it's just unrealistic with this economy and it was unfair to those who can't shop every week.

I tell you, I've been enjoying doing a challenge every day. I've gotten more pages done this month than in any other month since I started digi-scrapping, so I feel like I'm winning in more than one way.... I get many pages done (with themes that I normally wouldn't have done) and I get a good discount at the end of it. It's been fun!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I gotta agree with you there Rachel! I've done 40 LOs this month alone!! I do think the new system is fair for everyone.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilcameronsmommy View Post
I just think there are a few kinks that maybe need to be worked out.
For example, the beginning of the month was filled with some "easy, quick" challenges that would have come in handy here at the end of the month rather than trying to cram LO challenges into the last few days of the month, ya know?
That's exactly what I was thinking. I have 18 pts now, and depending on what they give us the next few days I'm hoping for 22. I'm fine with the new format, but there were too many non-LO challenges early on and too many LO challenges within the last week and a half. There were also times when all the "current" challenges were lifts or cookies, and it would have been nice if some of the more open designs (slogan, one word, etc) were scattered throughout the month. I'll also never get the 40% with this system (not that I usually did before) because I scrap too slowly and refuse to do some of the more time-consuming non-scrapping busywork challenges. But I got some nice LOs done this month, so thanks to Robin, Meghan, and all the Babes for the month of inspiration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
Missing the double points also stops me from shopping at 20% off every week. Before I'd go grab a kit or at the very least an element pack to ensure I could have my extra point. It encouraged me to use a kit twice, for that reason. Now I'm waiting to buy everything I want at 40% off instead, because there is no incentive to pick it up every week.
Ditto to this, too. I think I bought less this month because there was no advantage to buying weekly.

Last edited by rach3975; 01-29-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I haven't accumulated too many points this month. I had two vacations and a week of my lap top being worked on.

So, I'm hoping next month I can do the challenges more, even if I don't make it to the 40%, sometimes it seems I need the challenges to make scrap
Old 01-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

First of all, I wanted to show you all how I track my challenges. I copy the list that Meg posts, add it to my PMs and then keep track of my layouts with links....

Here it is:
...*1*Jan 1st - Treat of the Month: Kenna Ewing- Cute
...*2*Jan 2nd-FOBTY- Here
...*3*Jan 3rd-Hybrid Challenge-On Plan
...*4*Jan 4th-Spin-A-Lift Gingerbread Joy
...*5*Jan 5th - Quick Hybrid Challenge Cupcake Cards
...*6*Jan 6th- Cookie Challenge California Poppies
... *7*Jan 7th-Yourself in Photos me
...*8*Jan 8th-FOBTY HERE
...*9*Jan 9th-Scrap Your Day Jan 9
...*10*Jan 10th - Gallery Scavenger Hunt HERE
...*11*Jan 11th - Spin-a-lift: Junebug First Lost Tooth
...*12*Jan 12th - Ad Challenge Ride Hard
...*13*Gallery Standout!!! HERE
...*14*Jan 13th - Journal Challenge These Boots
...*15*Jan 14th - Color Confectionary Challenge Cherish
...*16*Jan 15th - From Our Blog To Yours HERE
...*17* Jan 16th - Photo Challenge HERE
...*18*Jan 17 - Neapolitan Challenge Gifts
...*19*Jan 18th - Spin A Lift: Samara U Make my Heart
...*20*Gallery Standout!!! HERE
...*21* Jan 19th - Sweet "Window" Shopping DONE
...*22*Jan 20th-One Word Challenge New Love
...*23*Jan 21st - Slogan Challenge Value Every Moment
...*24*Jan 22nd - From Our Blog To Yours Cupcakes
...*25*Jan 23rd - SWTSB Scrap Jammies
...*26*Gallery Stand Out HERE
...*27*Jan 24th - Paper 2 Digi First Birthday
***Jan 25th - Spin-a-Lift Deadline Jan 31st
***Jan 26th - Recipe Challenge Deadline Jan 31st
***Jan 27th - Cookie Decorating 101 Deadline Jan 31st
...*28*Jan 28th-Random HERE
***January 29th - From Our Blog 2 Yours Deadline Jan 31st
-----------
28 points

This makes it really easy for me to check and see which layouts/challenges that I need to complete.

Next thing. I for the most part like the new format, I just have issue with the due dates. I work full-time outside of the home. I scrap primarily on the weekend, and sometimes we go away for a few days without internet. WIth the old system. I'd bring the challenges with me, and just upload them when we got home. Now, this is very hard and I anticipate that some months like Nov, Dec, March, April, and June-July I may not be able to complete the challenges in time.

I also felt that some weeks of this month I had very little to do, as the challenges were very easy. Yet other weeks (like this one) are pretty difficult.

I have also found that I have spent a lot less since I don't have to worry about extra points. There have been some kits that I like, but I've put them on my wishlist. With the old challenge I always bought at least 2 kits on Saturdays and then a bunch more with my 40%.

I know this is NO easy task for the SSD and I applaud you for all your time and effort. I do think it's important to hear what your customers are thinking. I agree, you can't please 100%, 100% of the time.

I totally love you guys and have no intention of ever leaving (you're totally stuck with me.)
Old 01-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have read this thread and I honestly saw nothing that was said disrespectfully or should make anyone feel sad or deflated. I mean, its your feelings to have, I am just surprised anyone felt that way. I thought it was a very respectful thread.

The only thing about the bonus point for new releases that surprised me was that I think its losing money for the store. I know I personally won't buy new release Saturdays when I can get it for 40% off later. Just surprised me.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I'm not doing well!!! I'll probably be at 20%
Old 01-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

((hugs)) to all--I love SSD and everyone here. Like so many people said, it's impossible to find a perfect system that works for everyone, and change can be hard. But I appreciate the hard work everyone puts into creating these challenges for us. Regardless of the specific format we go with, I find the SSD challenges more inspiring and numerous than any other site's. I push myself to get the 30%, but I do it because having a goal helps me get more pages scrapped. Some months I don't even use the discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamaraGugler View Post
First of all, I wanted to show you all how I track my challenges. I copy the list that Meg posts, add it to my PMs and then keep track of my layouts with links....
I'll show you how I track mine, too. I set up this Word Doc and I'll save a month-specific version every month and add to it as challenges come out. I put an x in each challenge as it expires (or if I have no intention of doing it) and then I can tell easily what's still available for me to do.

As far as the question of whether to post a schedule or not, maybe you could tell us at the start of the month that there will be 3 cookies, 2 hybrid challenges, 4 FOB2Ys, etc. That way we'll still have a daily element of surprise, but we'll have more confidence that choosing to skip a certain day won't come back to haunt us later.

Last edited by rach3975; 01-29-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I actually really like the new way the challenges are. I love waking up each day wondering what today's challenge is. The way I keep track is to respond to each of the challenge threads with a layout or a comment. Then when I go into the challenge folder I can see the little arrow on the ones I've responded to and know that I've completed them.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We moved last month, so we're still getting the last boxes unpacked and organized, so I decided not to do the challenges for this month. I'm totally going to do them next month, though! I think it seems fun to be able to see a new challenge each day. Thanks to all the staff for their hard work with the challenges, it's what drew me to SSD!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I keep track of the challenges on my iCal. It's pretty easy for me to keep track that way.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

lol, i'll be lucky if i get 20% this time. i had too much drama this month to really try hard enough. maybe next month!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Hi... I'm a newbie... I got excited about your challenges I love the cookies... but when it started to be daily I got out of track and couldn't follow. I'll try next month...
Old 01-30-2009, 05:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have 4 points so there is no way I am going to get even 20% off this month - mostly my lack of participation is because of the ADSR & CT duties

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 01-30-2009, 07:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like the new challenge a day format. don't like that there is a week deadline or you don't get points. I work full time and don't have the option of sitting here during the day scrapping.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am was not going to post my thoughts on this because I don't want to seem disrespectful to those that work so hard on these challenges but I feel that this is my home and I should be able to have an opinion. I spend a lot of money in this store (not as much as Paula )with or without a discount and will continue to do so but I do have to say that making the 40% goal is always a biggie to me.

I am in no way saying this to hurt anyone's feelings and I do appreciate any discount I get so please don't take it that way! I really do appreciate all that the babes and designers do to make this my favorite site.

As for the intended question as to how I'm doing on the challenges I'll be lucky to get 20%. I used to get 40% every month. I really relied on the extra point for using new product and also I just can't scrap all the time so the deadlines are killing me because I used to get them done when I could. That being said, I don't intend to not do challenges and I'm hoping that as I get used to the new structure I'll get better at completing as many as I can!

Old 01-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I didn't do any of the challenges this month since I've just been kinda checking out the new system first. But, it seems like a lot of the concerns raised above could be solved by extending the deadlines some. That would help those people who don't have the luxury of being able to scrap every day and it would give people some more flexibility in the order in which they do the challenges. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

according to my records...I have to do 3 more...guess i better get busy! I'm hoping for an easy one on the 31st. Luckily I have a cookie one to do...one of my favorite challenges!