Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-13-2011, 02:37 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Organising kits

Hi everyone,

I have bought a lot of kits during my visits here at SSD. So many that I can't really keep up with it. I have all kits organised by designer. In the folder I have an alpha and a papers folder.

But do you tag everything?
Do you make separate "summer" folder, a christmas folder, etc?

I also have a separate folder with all previews so when I am looking for a kit it is a little bit easier.

But I am not completely happy with it.....

So spill it out! How do you organise?
Old 08-13-2011, 02:48 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't have time to organize. I used to have everything organized by designer, but now I organize by month downloaded. If I'm looking for stuff, I rely on the titles of elements being named something obvious from the designers. I do have stitches, brushes and other specialty elements grouped by type, since I typically use them to supplement kits (I'm mostly a kit scrapper).
Old 08-13-2011, 02:57 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I do it the way that you do it. By designer and I also have a separate preview folder for kits, alphas, embellishment packs so I can flip through and decide which kit to use. Then I also have a separate preview folder for just Cindy's templates.

Just recently I've made a folder for kits that will work for scrapping my vacation... I don't put the kits in the folder, just a copy of the preview. If I was sorting by season or theme, I'd just put preview copies in that folder. I'd really hate to have kits out of their designer's folder, but that is just my preference.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I tag in ACDSee. Not every single item. But I tag previews according to themes, like:

Holidays > Christmas, New Year, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day
Seasons > Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn
Events > Birthday

I also tag colour schemes, and various "helpful" things, like:

Templates
Photo Masks
Tags
Journalling Strips etc.

I have all alphas tagged by both colour and style (Krafty, Painted, Handwritten, Metallic, Wood etc.) - with alphas is close to impossible to remember what kind of alpha is in what kit.

I also tag many other things, and I have to say it's not as much work as it seems - I lost my database 3 times due to computer trouble (ACDSee unrelated trouble) and had to built it up from scratch with about 100 GB of stuff.

Organising by designer doesn't help me if I'm looking for something specific. That requires to remember which kit is by which designer, and honestly, I don't remember that.

The good thing about tagging is that you can have one kit in many categories, unlike with the folder system.

That said, for some people tagging doesn't work, it's all about personal preferences.

Last edited by adrianka; 08-13-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:19 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leontine78 View Post

I have all kits organised by designer. In the folder I have an alpha and a papers folder.

But do you tag everything?
Do you make separate "summer" folder, a christmas folder, etc?

I also have a separate folder with all previews so when I am looking for a kit it is a little bit easier.
Like you, but also have separate folders sorted by item - ribbon, flowers, stitching, alphas etc. This takes heaps of room on my EHD but easy to search if I'm after a particular something.

And I never thought to have a folder of just the previews, what a great idea!

Donna
Old 08-13-2011, 03:49 AM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I have kits organized by theme, alphas organized by color/type and templates organized by number of photos. Since I nearly solely used SSD products, I don't bother sorting by designer.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I'm the most unorganised person ever.

For CT's I have a folder for each one and put the kids in them, once I've used a kit they go into a sub folder called used within each one.

For bought kits I have a folder called 'Bought' and they all go in there, once a month I put them on my EHD if they've been used and I have a folder for each SSD designer on that then each kit goes in the right folder!

That's it, no tagging etc for me!
Old 08-13-2011, 04:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Now I think of it, organising hugely depends on how you scrap - if you're a one-kit scrapper, tagging might be worthless for you (I still find it useful, but it's not so important if you don't mix). And elements and such can be rather easily found by simple Windows search.

The most difficult things to sort are papers and alphas, because they're not named according to their theme/colour - if you're looking for a wood paper, you will never find it unless you remember in which kit it was (but hey, when lost, you can always ask here at the forum).

I like to keep everything in its original folder, so tagging is fabulous for me, but I can see why it's not so appealing to many peope.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:29 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My folder stracture is the same as yours. Shop - Designer - Kit. Then Im using Adobe Bridge to further sort things. I have collections called "Kits and Co" (kits, mixed element packs and papers), "Alphas", "Templates", "Quickpages", "Extras" (like masks, frame sets, ect.). In go only the previews.

So I can browse all kits and all alphas in once place. You can also put more tags in, but I am pretty good at remembering kits. Also, very often I buy kits with certain photos in mind. So when I get to scrap the pictures, I usually remember the kit.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:44 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

i.am.not.organized. LOL i like to feel clustered in my scrap hoard, which is why i tend to buy double alot or get overwhelmed when i actually DO scrap for myself:| its a sickness LMAO! i do however have designer folders that each kit will go into if i actually like stop rolling around on my scrap stash and saying oh its mine LOL
Old 08-13-2011, 04:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

After my long break from digiscrapping, I came back and wanted to do the SSD portfolio again, but I had problems finding the right kits for my pages. I had used most of my kits from SSD (some 2 or 3 times) and I wanted to make new combinations with parts from different kits. So I started the daunted task of tagging my stuff in ACDSee again. (had done it years ago, but lost a lot due to a pc crash). I started with my SSD folder, which is huge! I spent days tagging. I tag stores, previews, colors, theme and type. (for templates the number of photos)

Now that it's all done, I'm really having a blast scrapping again. It's so easy to see what I have in a particular color or a particular theme. I've made several pages with stuff from A LOT of different kits that I really like, it's like you suddenly have a ton of new kits, haha Unlike Adrianka, I tagged rather excessively. But I might change my method and stop tagging every little detail, and only the most used stuff.
I also bought the script from Anna Forrest to keep track of the credits, which is a huge timesaver if you use so many kits (but you can't break up folders if you use that!).
Now the biggest challenge will be to keep tagging all the new stuff! Up till now I do it immediately after I download it. I hope to keep doing it that way
Old 08-13-2011, 05:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Organizing - whats that?

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 08-13-2011, 05:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Everything is in a big folder. When I am working on a specific project, I start folder for the project, and then I drag anything I'm using into it... for example, with my pregnancy album, it has a folder with all of the layouts, and then it also has a copy of Hip 2 Be, Hip Mama 2 Be, and Janet's 9 Months and Counting. I also used stitches from Traci on that album, but since I didn't use them much, I didn't copy them all over there... When I finish the project, I delete the duplicate version of the kits so it's not taking up space.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 08-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

my scrapping stash is a bit of a mess i have folders for all of my CTs - with a "used" subfolder in there for kits i've already used. i have a few other subfolders for basics - i.e., alphas, templates, stitching, date elements, etc. i am mainly a kit scrapper so this works for me ... for my non-CT stash, i have an unused kit folder and used kit folder, as well as the same basic folders for elements/alphas/stitches that i buy separately. i rarely separate any basics from kits unless i REALLY love something from a kit and will use it over and over.

i'd like to be more organized and tag a bit - but haven't had time yet!

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 08-13-2011, 07:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When I first started here at SSD I didn't have many supplies that I was willing to scrap with (about the only pre-SSD things I use are templates) so I could keep track of my stuff pretty easily. I organized my kits by designer and put copies all the previews in folders to browse through. That worked for about 9 months, I guess, before I started having a hard time finding things. I was also getting away from being purely a kit scrapper and it was a challenge to find the embellishments I wanted. So... I made the leap about 4 months ago to using Lightroom to organize my supplies. The physical files are still in folders by designer, but they're also keyworded (tagged) in Lightroom so I can find things so much more easily. I've tried tagging before, but my collection is so big (photos and supplies) that my system would get bogged down and not work well. What I love about Lightroom is that it stores thumbnails of the images in a catalog (database) rather than looking at the folders each time it's opened which makes it much faster. Also, I have it set up to write all my keywords and other metadata right to the file itself so I'll never lose it - even if I lose my Lightroom catalog. I have things keyworded by type and by color and it's been great being able to search for things that way! I have just about all my supplies imported into LR now. Although most of the individual pieces aren't tagged yet, I do have all the previews tagged by theme and that's making finding a kit to use so much easier! I also import my layouts and it's so easy to keep track of what supplies I've used on the layout this way. It is a lot of work to get set up initially (I have to convert my png files to tiff's and I'm also tagging everything in every kit), but tagging my new purchases doesn't take a lot of time.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I am a kit scrapper, so organising on kits seems most appropriate.
I also have a special folder for templates, because without them I feel really naked. I have a folder for each template designer. And the ones from Cindy are also divided into 1 photo, 2 photo's etc. Just for easy searching.

Separate bought alpha's go in one folder too.

So I guess I am pretty good organised.
I like the idea of a not used yet folder. Because I have a lot of kits which seem great to buy but which I didn't use yet. With that new folder I can keep an eye on that.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
I have kits organized by theme, alphas organized by color/type and templates organized by number of photos. Since I nearly solely used SSD products, I don't bother sorting by designer.
I think I am going to add subfolders to my template folder based on number of photos. Good idea. I'll always scrolling through counting those darn things.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:45 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
This is me... I do have a separate folders for all the kits that Heather has created for Sticky Learnings. Otherwise, I rely on search in windows to find what I want (thank you Designers for putting title/part of the title in the name of the element/paper ).

Alphas are sorted by color...

Oy - I also have an unused folder... but it's getting WAY TOO BIG, so I start pulling things out and putting them into themes since I tend to go there first... lol!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
(thank you Designers for putting title/part of the title in the name of the element/paper ).
I do this similarly as above, although I do tag the designers and kits as well for easy search when I list credits because several don't put their name and the kit title in the title of the paper/element and it takes too long to rename everything after extracting. (hint, hint...I would love it if designers didn't just name papers, paper1, button1, but actually put their name and part of the title then paper1. That would be a HUGE timesaver!)
Old 08-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynesgirl View Post
I do this similarly as above, although I do tag the designers and kits as well for easy search when I list credits because several don't put their name and the kit title in the title of the paper/element and it takes too long to rename everything after extracting. (hint, hint...I would love it if designers didn't just name papers, paper1, button1, but actually put their name and part of the title then paper1. That would be a HUGE timesaver!)
Adobe Bridge has a batch rename function that makes it really easy and quick to rename everything in a folder. It's what I use when the kit name isn't in the filename. However, it is *much* nicer when the kit name is already there!!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I basically do wihat some of the other girls do:
1. I have an SSD folder {or whatever store I buy from...only a few}
2. Designer folder {inside the designer folder I put the papers so you can see them right when you open the folder and then I have a sub folder for the alpha and elements}...I also have all of that designer's previews in this folder as well as a preview folder
3. I havea template folder {sub divided by designer}
4. I also have an unused folder {but I copy the kit and preview into the designer folder so after I use somethign in my UNUSED folder I just delete it}
5. I have a CT folder that has each designer I CT for with each of their kits{ I am thinking of just merging this with my regular folder because some of their kits I forget about}
6. I have a template preview folder and a kit preview folder

so when I am looking for something, sometimes I just go straigh to the preview folder and I really like seeing the previews!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
I think I'm the most unorganised person ever.

For CT's I have a folder for each one and put the kids in them, once I've used a kit they go into a sub folder called used within each one.
Gemma, I want to know when you let the "kids" out of their folders?
Old 08-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a folder for SSD kits, and then everything is just organized alphabetically within it for the kits. templates are by designer if I have a lot(i.e. traci, cindy, and nettio), or by photo quantity for the rest(cookies, etc). Embellishments(stitching, buttons, ribbons, etc.) are in a separate folder, if they were purchased as solo items. Same with Alphas, they have their own folder
Old 08-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I have one big folder labled stash. I then have sub folder for my favourite designers each; other ssd designer; non-ssd designers; ssd collabs, templates; previews; old; and used lots. Kits are sorted into each designers folder and each kit has folder called used.

I'm a multikit scrapper and I don't tag -EVER. I can usually tell which new kits will work well with which older kits. (traci's kit from today with heather's valentine kit from feb comes to mind). Also by having a previews only folder i find matching kits that I might have forgotten.

If i find an item which I love using (there's a diamond brad in KCB's Jadore kit which i love using) it goes into the 'used lots' this makes finding my favourite versatile items very easy.

Also i keep my kits as full kits on a 6-9 month cycle. Basically that means about now i'd be going through my kits from Dec/Jan and culling them. Remove the solids; keep only the things i don't have much of in other kits (cliparts, wordarts etc) and remove the rest. Then they move the 'old' folder which is sorted by item type not kit
Old 08-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I organize by shop and then designer and then by kit. I do most of my shopping here and occasionally pick up a template or a kit or two elsewhere, but mostly here. I put all multi-designer kits (ie. 2 scoops, triple dips, collabs) into a folder called Collaborations. I use a Mac for most of my scrapbooking and so I use the preview .jpg as an icon for the folder that contains the kit, so I can quickly page through my folders to see what I am looking for.

I have started a separate template folder for all the templates that I get here, organized by designer and then template. Again, I use the preview .jpg to identify each folder.

I don't tag or anything like that. I generally use one kit at a time, occasionally I will use items from another kit.

I have a lot of scrapbooking freebies that I think I would just like to delete from my hard drive as I never use them.

How does everyone back up their files on their EHD in case it crashes? Do you burn to disc or do you have a backup EHD?
Old 08-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Everything of mine is mirrored on two EHDs every two weeks. It's kept multiply backed up-scrapping EHD, my backup EHD, and the community backup that everyone in the house uses.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:10 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
I do it the way that you do it. By designer and I also have a separate preview folder for kits, alphas, embellishment packs so I can flip through and decide which kit to use. Then I also have a separate preview folder for just Cindy's templates.

Just recently I've made a folder for kits that will work for scrapping my vacation... I don't put the kits in the folder, just a copy of the preview. If I was sorting by season or theme, I'd just put preview copies in that folder. I'd really hate to have kits out of their designer's folder, but that is just my preference.
I love the idea of having the previews in a separate folder so you can browse through them. I am going to have to do this. What a time saver.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by origami View Post

How does everyone back up their files on their EHD in case it crashes? Do you burn to disc or do you have a backup EHD?
I burn to DVD for kit back ups; DVD & CD (double copies) for photos (getting quite the disc collection I can tell you LOL)

Donna
Old 08-14-2011, 01:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My scrapping stuff is organized by designer (because some of them change shop) and by shop (for the collabs). I also have a folder with all my previews. And everything is tagged in ACDSee in a very detailed way:
Elements:
  • alphas (with subcategories alpha, numbers, punctuation)
  • attachers of some sorts (with subcategories like buttons, brads, misc., paper clips, other clips, etc.)
  • bling (sequins, jewel-type of embellishements)
  • bookplates
  • borders
  • brush, doodles, stamps
  • frames (with subcategories for the number of pix and the shape of the frame)
  • charm
  • chipboard
  • heart
  • corner
  • stitching (with subcategories for the shape of the stitching (line, circle, ...) and the type of stitching (zigzag, straight, ...)
  • stars
  • arrows
  • flowers
  • glitter
  • journaling
  • mats
  • bows and knots
  • overlays
  • paper elements (notebook pages, for example)
  • paint, splatter
  • pearls
  • ribbons (with subcategories like patterned, plain, twisted in some way, bits and pieces, etc.)
  • stickers
  • swirls
  • tab, tags, journaling strips, talk bubbles, etc.
  • fabric stuff
  • wordarts (with subcategories for the theme like love, friendship and family, kids, seasonal, holidays, etc.)
Papers:
  • color (with subcategories for each color and multicolor)
  • patterned (with subcategories for each pattern type, like grid or squares, stripes, circles and dots, plaid, floral, vintage and damask, etc.) or plain
I also have a tag for CT stuff, for SSD stuff, a theme category (with subcategories like christmas, other holidays, each season, birthday, other party, pregnancy (since we're TTC...), P365, etc.), quickpages (with subcategories for the number of pix), inspiration (with subcategories for design, theme, color combo, etc.), template (with subcategories for number of pix).

Okay, now that it's written I realize I might be slightly (just slightly OCD about my scrap stuff! LOL And the most pathetic part is that most of it is totally unnecessary since I'm mainly a kit scrapper, but whatever, now it's done! LOL

Signature created using "To The Moon And Back" by Amanda Yi & Meghan Mullens
Old 08-14-2011, 02:53 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Wow, Chloe, how do you even find time to scrapbook with all that tagging?!

I back up on one EHD once every month...and then once every quarter on a second EHD. I don't have that much....but it doesn't fit on two DVD's anymore!
Old 08-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Tagging honestly doesn't take that much time! And it surely takes less time than any other type of organising (again, this depends on the type of scrapper / person you are). The beauty of it is that you can assign one thing to as many categories as you can, which you can never achieve with a folder system.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateD View Post
Adobe Bridge has a batch rename function that makes it really easy and quick to rename everything in a folder. It's what I use when the kit name isn't in the filename. However, it is *much* nicer when the kit name is already there!!
Kate... I have been looking for adobe bridge...is this something that only comes with Photoshop CS? I have elements right now... cannot afford the cs version yet...this would be hugely helpful. Several designers here at sweet shoppe that I absolutely love repeatedly name their kits the same.. like button1, button 2, paper1, paper 2. I would love to be able to easily name them for easy retrieval and easy identification when posting LOs.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
LOL! Actually, it took forever to create the system and do the initial tagging, but now I tag everytime I add stuff to my stash and it goes pretty quickly. I batch-tag a lot of things too!

Signature created using "To The Moon And Back" by Amanda Yi & Meghan Mullens
Old 08-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I do a kit preview folder with all the kits and label them the name of the kit and designer. All my kits are then labeled the kit name and designer and all the kits are in one folder. I also am migrating a copy of all alphas to one folder with a preview folder as well.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am another one who sorts by shop, then Designer/Collab, then kit. However, I do put my Alphas separately by shop, and I have recently started creating folders for each designer where I have any of the retired kits or freebies/gifts or kits from previous shops. I also put any unused kits just in the shop folder and after the kit folder name I put their initials (although in the case of Julie Billingley and Jenn Barrette I put the first initial and spell out the last name). When I use it, I transfer it into the designer's folder.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fan of ALL the designers at: