Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-18-2018, 12:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Random question: what would you do?

I just finished reading a series of books about the last police man on Earth. The reason he is the last cop? The Earth is about to be hit by an astroid that will wipe out 99% of mankind.

In the book they find out a bout a year in advance and people start doing all kinds of crazy things with the time they have left. I don't want to give too much of the story away by telling you the different things they do, but I wanted to ask you all if the world was going to end in the next year, what would you spend the time doing?

I've been thinking about it a lot since I read it and wondering what I would do. I think I would stay put and just spend it with my family. Maybe take a little inspiration from my Amish neighbors and just lead a more simple life with my loved ones around me.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

family, simple life and travel with my boy to anywhere we could go, experience life and make some great memories.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yep I agree. Disconnect & spend time with those I love! How awesome to actually have time to do that in advance!
Old 06-18-2018, 02:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd travel to as many places as possible and soak in time and adventure with those I love. Also, I'd probably do some realllly dumb stuff because...well...why not?
Old 06-18-2018, 03:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I would make sure my life is completely aligned with God, that I have repented of any wrong doing, and that I am following Christ as best as I can. I would be more Christlike to my neighbour and serve others more. In essence, I would do everything I'm already supposed to be doing now.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Unplug and spend time with my Family!!
Old 06-18-2018, 03:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Besides the obvious spending time with family, I think I'd clean my house less and get more animals to love on. lol
Old 06-18-2018, 03:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Spend it all with my family and indulge in any food I want :P without feeling guilty.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Spend lots of time with my family. Spread God's love and word to people around me. Continue to scrapbook (or at least journal) because there will be survivors. Learn to do more without electronics and teach skills to others. Things I should do more of now.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Prepare in any way possible to increase our family's chances of being part of the 1% that survives. Other than that, spend lots of time with family. Indulge in interests (our own and our kids) that we usually put off as too expensive. For example, a trip to Disney, a super fast gaming computer for our oldest, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2018, 04:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

this sounds like a hulu show I started reading recently called Hard Sun, and I was talking about the same thing with my family. I guess in short I would not do anything different. Maybe just be hyper aware of enjoying every moment.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:07 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Prepare in any way possible to increase our family's chances of being part of the 1% that survives.
I think this is the one thing I wouldn't do. I am not sure I would want to live in that type of world that would be left after such an event. (The climate would change and photosynthesis would like end, meaning no plants.) I'm afraid that surviving the initial impact would mean a long, slow death later.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I would make sure my life is completely aligned with God, that I have repented of any wrong doing, and that I am following Christ as best as I can. I would be more Christlike to my neighbour and serve others more. In essence, I would do everything I'm already supposed to be doing now.
I think you put it the best way.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:25 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Travel to see the beautiful places I haven't yet gotten to and visit friends and family I haven't visited in a long time. Spend lots of time with my son and fiancé. Eat whatever I pleased and bake lots of stuff for other people. Stop stressing. Plus prepare my family just in case we did survive.

What books are these, Lorie? Sounds like ones I would enjoy.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm actually surprised at how willing everyone is to just accept their fate and not try to come up with a solution?! (I don't mean that in a critical way). I would put my energy into rallying around finding ways to avoid total decimation! I know we are talking fiction here, but surely we could find a way to destroy an asteroid before it hit earth! ... if that didn't work, I would do my best to find out what I needed to do to remain safe and keep others safe too. Society would be in such a panic, I doubt very much there'd be much enjoyment.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
I think this is the one thing I wouldn't do. I am not sure I would want to live in that type of world that would be left after such an event. (The climate would change and photosynthesis would like end, meaning no plants.) I'm afraid that surviving the initial impact would mean a long, slow death later.
I can see where you're coming from, but my thinking was a lot like Sheri's--I don't think I could just accept the idea that we were all going to die and there was nothing we could do about it. Whether we ultimately survived or not, I think we'd need the hope that preparing would bring. And while we're living in the world of fiction, there are plenty of post-apocalyptic novels where the small percentage of people who were left managed to start over and build something worthwhile from the chaos and destruction.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:03 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Sheri and Rachel, you both have a very valid point. In the book they made it clear there was no way to destroy it so that is where my mind set was. And Sheri, you are right, there was not much enjoyment in the book that last year.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:06 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
What books are these, Lorie? Sounds like ones I would enjoy.
It is a three book series by Ben H. Winters called The Last Policeman Trilogy. I got it with my Amazon Unlimited.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:39 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

What a terrible world that would be to live in.

Can you imagine the type of things people would do or justify knowing they were going to die soon? Murder, rape, theft... I think it would be impossible to travel safely anywhere. I would hunker down with my family & hope we made it to the meteor hitting.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:56 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
What a terrible world that would be to live in.

Can you imagine the type of things people would do or justify knowing they were going to die soon? Murder, rape, theft... I think it would be impossible to travel safely anywhere. I would hunker down with my family & hope we made it to the meteor hitting.
Exactly.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i would fulfill as many items on my bucketlist with my family as i could, starting with visiting a zoo in every state and seeing the northern lights.