Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-03-2018, 05:30 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Default Photoshop Help

Hi everyone, thought I'd ask here since there are so many photoshop gurus All of a sudden I am having an issue with Photoshop CS2, for some reason I can no longer edit text layers on templates where the text is inside of a shape. I used to be able to, and I don't know what's happened. Now whenever I try to edit the text layer within a shape, I get a message that says "some text layers might need to be updated before they can be used for vector based output". If I say no, then I can't edit the text. If I click "update", then it takes the text out of the shape. Within the layers palette, any text layers now have an exclamation mark on them

I've tried everything I can think of, I reinstalled Photoshop, no luck. I googled the problem and they recommended to delete the psp file, which I did, but nothing has worked. Anyone else ever have this issue?
Old 06-03-2018, 09:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Is it certain designers or all templates?
Old 06-03-2018, 09:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

That's so strange. I use CS5 and I often get it...it's made from those creating templates in CC or CS6 (from what I've been told). I always just click "no" and have no problems. I've never clicked "update" because I wasn't sure what would happen.

Perhaps it was created in CC and it's no longer compatible with CS2? Goodness, I hope that isn't the case, because it won't be long before they aren't compatible with my CS5
Old 06-03-2018, 09:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I did a google search and this was recommended:
Go to edit-preferences-general, at the bottom you can choose to turn off the warning dialogues.

**don't know if it will work**
Old 06-03-2018, 10:12 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

It seems to be all templates, any layers where the text has to fill a shape, or go on a text path. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to try them out and see if that works. I had wondered too if perhaps my version is just getting too old, hope not!
Old 06-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Unfortunately none of that worked. Since I keep TIFF copies of my old layouts, I decided to open up one with journalling that was in a heart shape text box. It will no longer allow me to edit the text without changing the layout of the textbox. I'm stumped, it must be changes to compatability. Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone uses Photoshop Elements instead of Photoshop? I really love templates with lots of journaling spaces like these -

https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/s...cat=883&page=1

I don't want to spend the money to get a newer version of PS, but if I can use these kinds of templates with PSE then that might be a great option.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

To me it sounds like you don't have the font that the designer used in their template. That's when I always get the exclamation icons on my text layers. The program is trying to replace the font they used with one it thinks will work instead, and it's not obviously not working! See which font they used and see if you can download it somewhere and then install it. Maybe that will help! Good luck!
Old 06-06-2018, 06:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen104 View Post
Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone uses Photoshop Elements instead of Photoshop? I really love templates with lots of journaling spaces like these -

https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/s...cat=883&page=1

I don't want to spend the money to get a newer version of PS, but if I can use these kinds of templates with PSE then that might be a great option.
I can't say for sure since I use CS6, but I think I remember reading that the limitation in PSE is for creating text on a path, not using shaped text paths created in another program. I'm guessing most PSE users won't read this thread, so you might want to make a separate thread to get their input. You could also see if there's a free trial to download and try it yourself. Good luck!
Old 06-07-2018, 10:30 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Great idea about the free trial, thank you! I'm going to do that.