Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2010, 11:50 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm
Default pet hair question..

What do you use to remove pet hair from like.. blankets and stuff? I have two fleece like blankets on my bed- and kitty sleeps in there- so yeh. I hate fur. lol and i have two fuzzy animals
I just read about trying dryer sheets in the dryer to help draw the hair out-- does this work? and if so.. can anyone suggest a dryer sheet that won't spazz my allergies? lol .. the blankets are pretty big- so i'd prefer not having to use the hair roller on them all the time.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

have you tried one of those brushes that are supposed to remove the fur your cat is shedding on your bed? Probably would not get rid of all of it but if you could brush the cat and get the fur before he/she sheds then using a lint brush might not be so bad. Other then that I use a lint brush that I got at the Dollar Tree. (not the sticky kind but one of those ones with the velvet stuff that you can reuse)

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 02-10-2010, 12:03 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

ooh.. do the velvet ones work better? I just have the sticky one and i hate having to use it ... because well.. you have to keep buying them ^_^

we have a brush- but i think it might be sucky.. or he's just really fluffy. haha I'll have to look for a better one
Old 02-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery
Thumbs up

Perhaps not ideal for a large blanket, but the best solution I've found for getting pet hair off (especially off of clothing) is to get your hands damp (run under water & shake off the excess), then run your hands over your clothing like you would a lint brush. The hair will collect on your hands and you can just rinse it off. I was skeptical, but it works great!

HIH
Carrie
Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I throw it in the washer and dryer. Regularly!! We have two polar fleece ones on the couch that they live on...on my bed I roll it with the sticky kind and then wash it every few weeks. The boys beds? Wash and dry them. With 4 cats hair is everywhere all the time...we just do our best!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

In the dryer with the Bounce Free dryer sheets (no scent). We had two beagles (now one) and they shed constantly in three different colors!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:11 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I think the velvet ones work pretty well. I like them because I felt like we were wasting money with the sticky ones and ine4vitably would run out at a crucial moment when we really needed to make sure we were not covered in kitty fur. I wear alot of black and we have white & light colored cats so that does not mix well. You know you can save money and just buy a big roll of duct tape. Wrap it around your hand (or brush or anything round) and roll it over the blanket. Works much better then the sticky lint rollers. It is fairly inexpensive to do it that way too because the tape lasts so much longer then one of those sticky lint brushes.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 02-10-2010, 02:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctp70 View Post
Perhaps not ideal for a large blanket, but the best solution I've found for getting pet hair off (especially off of clothing) is to get your hands damp (run under water & shake off the excess), then run your hands over your clothing like you would a lint brush. The hair will collect on your hands and you can just rinse it off. I was skeptical, but it works great!

HIH
Carrie
We've used this technique! lol

We are constantly battling cat hair at our house (2 long hair cats...never again!) Would love to hear what you come up with La!

Old 02-10-2010, 05:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
You know you can save money and just buy a big roll of duct tape. Wrap it around your hand (or brush or anything round) and roll it over the blanket. Works much better then the sticky lint rollers. It is fairly inexpensive to do it that way too because the tape lasts so much longer then one of those sticky lint brushes.
I have done this SO many times because I have given up trying to find the lint brush in our house when I need it. I just use cheap clear packing tape and it works really well!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

With 4 cats and VERY hairy wolf hybrid I have to second the throwing it in the washer and dryer. I wash the fleece blankets at least once a month, sometimes more, but also throw them in the dryer once a week to dehair. I realize that if you don't have a washer/dryer combo in house this would be difficult, so I also recommend a damp washcloth to rub the hair off as well. Duct tape, masking tape or clear packing tape will also work very well. We don't even own lint brushes because I've just never found them to be very effective.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:46 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

yeh i had actually just taken them out of the dryer wheni posted this and they were still covered ^_^ that's why i was all roarish
Old 02-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'll be watching this because our husky seems to shed all year and on our nice vellux blankets that stuff is like velcro!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ugh we have a golden retriever, and i deal with his hair everywhere! i sweep the wood floors and it gathers in corners like dust bunnies and sticks to the bottom of the broom. i HATE it. its hard to get off of blankets. i try to keep him off the bed but DH likes him to cudddle. freaking p's me off! lol
Old 02-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I can totally relate! I have a long-haired tabby who sheds in white and orange. Lucky me!

I frequently use the sticky lint roller but find it doesn't do a good job AT ALL with bedspreads. The fur just seems to accumulate everywhere! I swear if I saved it all, I could make a small sweater in a week!