Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Google+ vs Facebook?

So, do you guys think Google+ is going to replace/be as popular as Facebook? I do like a lot of the differences (easier to post things to specific groups of friends, great for us digi-peeps that don't want to annoy our RL friends) but I hate learning/setting up a new platform.

What are your thoughts?
Old 07-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

It's still a little awkward, but I love the no-ads feature to it (knowing it probably won't last). I'm not sure about replacing, though. FB seems to have it's foot firmly planted in the world.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Heard that the plan, competition. while i like google+ , not alot activity going on yet due to being invite only, need to pull more ppl in to make it more active. Otherwise i'm staying where all my friends are at, which is facebook as of now, if everyone goes to google+ then use that. right now using both with facebook being my main site

anyone can add me:
ccray85@gmail.com

Old 07-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is the first I've heard of it. So, obviously I like FB better! LOL
Old 07-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't think it will be as huge as FB (and most "ordinary" people won't change I think), but I'm rooting for Google+ to get into the picture. So far I'm cross-posting (posting simultaneously on G+ and FB, you can do it with a Chrome extension) and hoping for the best. I'm on FB, but I sincerely dislike it, it's an ugly platform. I've known better.

You never know what happens. I was there when LiveJournal was huge, and it's gone (not really gone, but it's no longer huge). I remember when MySpace was big (I wasn't there, but I can remember), and now it's FB. Social media aren't long-lived, it's all in the stars.

So far it seems to me that Google+ has learned from FB's mistakes - like, it has an Edit button, I never understood why the feature is missing on FB. And the circles idea is pretty intriguing and much easier as a concept than the groups on FB - honestly, most people don't use them because they don't even know they exist.

Last edited by adrianka; 07-17-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

what is the Google+ you speak of?
Old 07-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
what is the Google+ you speak of?
https://plus.google.com/

Old 07-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianka View Post
I don't think it will be as huge as FB (and most "ordinary" people won't change I think), but I'm rooting for Google+ to get into the picture. So far I'm cross-posting (posting simultaneously on G+ and FB, you can do it with a Chrome extension) and hoping for the best. I'm on FB, but I sincerely dislike it, it's an ugly platform. I've known better.

You never know what happens. I was there when LiveJournal was huge, and it's gone (not really gone, but it's no longer huge). I remember when MySpace was big (I wasn't there, but I can remember), and now it's FB. Social media aren't long-lived, it's all in the stars.

So far it seems to me that Google+ has learned from FB's mistakes - like, it has an Edit button, I never understood why the feature is missing on FB. And the circles idea is pretty intriguing and much easier as a concept than the groups on FB - honestly, most people don't use them because they don't even know they exist.
Agree, technology and social media are always changing, coming up with the next huge thing after another

Old 07-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

All I know is it took forever for my high school and college friends to get on FB (some still aren't). And most are there clumsily...it will take a lot to get my friends to move.

But I always think competition is good - maybe it will make FB better. (Like how about having a customer service department that you can actually get an answer from?? :P )
Old 07-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

FB badly needs some serious competition. It's a totally user-unfriendly service and all default settings are unfair for the user. When I first set up an account, I was dismayed at how horrible it was when compared to my old home at LiveJournal. Even though it's unfair to compare those two, they are different services. So far Google+ has convinced me, it's just that loads of people need convincing for it to really work.

And if some of my real friends would switch, I wouldn't even mind if most people wouldn't. I seriously like the cross-posting thing so far, even though a friend of mine said that functioning on two platforms is worse than sitting on half a chair with two monitors and three keyboards, and it's true in a way. The LiveJournal community died when half the people moved over to DreamWidth and other LJ-code-based communities. :-)

I feel really old when talking like this... I can still remember when all my online friends went over to LJ - before that, we only used forums or Yahoo Groups... Time sure flies and social media change too rapidly.

Last edited by adrianka; 07-17-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

ok so I signed up and if you were there I added you to my "scrapping friends" circle

Last edited by nun69; 07-17-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do not hate it, but I prefer facebook. I am getting the hang of it though, and that is probably the only reason I like FB more, is that I am used to it. My MySpace has long since been forgotten so who know what will happen to FB once Google+ really gets going. I do like all the apps on FB though.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I haven't heard of it.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't have facebook due to some questions I had about the security of it that I did email and ask about and never got a reply. I haven't checked out google+ but if its easier to control your setting on I may have to x
Old 07-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't like it as well, yet, but maybe it's just cause I'm not as used to it yet. That being said, I'm sure Google's goal is to corner that market, ya know.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of google+/facebook, anyone know how to link the two??

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 07-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

So let me get this straight:
I can have a circle for people I know IRL,
another one for people who I don't particularly care about but don't want to offend,
and another one for my scrappy friends I love dearly.
Then I can say different things to different people? Like having a separate status update for each group?
Is that right?

Because that would be awesome.
And if it didn't tell me whenever people changed their profile pic, that'd be great too.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Kellie... you can do that with FB too... put all your friends in different "lists" and then you can post to certain lists instead of everyone.

as for the profile pic thing... I think you still see it in Google+ when someone changes their profile pic.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
So let me get this straight:
I can have a circle for people I know IRL,
another one for people who I don't particularly care about but don't want to offend,
and another one for my scrappy friends I love dearly.
Then I can say different things to different people? Like having a separate status update for each group?
Is that right?

Because that would be awesome.
And if it didn't tell me whenever people changed their profile pic, that'd be great too.
Yup, you can make a catty status about your MIL, and make sure she doesn't see it, you can post about your fave kits and not bug RL people, add people you are too nice to ignore...but then not really interact with them; it does seem kinda nice!

Oh, and you can e-mail a post to someone that doesn't even use Google+, and share the post with them.

Last edited by Jenn Barrette; 07-17-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

so far I LOVE the circle thing and my scrappy friends is my biggest one
Old 07-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
so far I LOVE the circle thing and my scrappy friends is my biggest one
HAhaha, yeah that's me.

The most I've been doing is adding people who've added me into their circles. I posted a few things, but for the most part am kinda meh about it. But then, I'm hardly on Facebook, so no surprise
Old 07-18-2011, 12:27 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I love it, but I have always loved everything Google. I detest FB and only made an account because my MIL was able to figure it out well enough to look at photos on my SIL's page. Saying she "doesn't get" computers would be kind. I'm hoping more people get the hang of it and use it.

Feel free to add me: Amy Girnas -same photo as here. Wonder if there are more of "me" out there haha??

Happily creating for Two More Days and Guest for Little Butterfly Wings June & July
Old 07-18-2011, 12:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can see how this is going to be very good. I use Linked In for professional colleagues then have FB for family and 'fun'. I can see how everyone can be in one place now. I still have to figure out how to make a status notification to only one circle...
Old 07-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Barrette View Post
Oh, and you can e-mail a post to someone that doesn't even use Google+, and share the post with them.
I dont have google+ but have gotten a few emails from it. I had no idea what it was until then!
Old 07-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just posted a couple of things that seem helpful - a cheat sheet and how to import photos from FB.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post
Kellie... you can do that with FB too... put all your friends in different "lists" and then you can post to certain lists instead of everyone.
I never knew this ... how?
Old 07-19-2011, 08:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love the idea of Google+ but haven't really gotten the hang of it yet....I am kinda tired of Facebook, so I might have to take a closer look at it
Old 07-19-2011, 08:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbysMommy View Post
I love the idea of Google+ but haven't really gotten the hang of it yet....I am kinda tired of Facebook, so I might have to take a closer look at it
This is me, too. I'm getting so tired of Facebook. I like G+ so far, but still getting the hang of it.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:33 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Finally was able to get into Google+ and so far....lovin' it since FB is blocked at work. Also like the circles more than FB groups. Thanks y'all for hookin' me up.

remixmel@gmail.com

Melanie
Old 07-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I love Facebook, but I do have Google+. I'm trying to like it, but it's hard because I really DO love Facebook that much LOL!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:16 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I'm still undecided bout trying it. I've got a few invites but haven't even been to inviestigate or anything. Then again I only got a twitter account this month and I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to do.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

On the face of it...I like Google+ especially the circles and the fact that it is linked in with my other google bits and pieces like gmail. I never really got into the aps in FB so the lack of them doesn't really worry me and I love the fact that I can post for specific circles...that is awesome! So yeah I think I'm going to like it.

Don't know whether it will totally kick FB to the curb but I think it will give it a good run for its money

Fee

Wear this -
Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappurple View Post
I never knew this ... how?
you need to put your friends in groups... and then in your status box is a little "lock" symbol... click on that and customize who you want to see it, before you send your status.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Barrette View Post
Yup, you can make a catty status about your MIL, and make sure she doesn't see it, you can post about your fave kits and not bug RL people, add people you are too nice to ignore...but then not really interact with them; it does seem kinda nice!
I do all that with Facebook. I have all my in-laws added on Facebook, but blocked from seeing almost everything except my pictures. They had to message me birthday wishes last week because they can't post on my wall. My feeling is this... I wouldn't be friends with them on Facebook if I wasn't married to their brother. I'm not going to share my "real life" with them.

Not a huge fan of Google+ right now.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The trouble with groups on FB is that they are totally un-intuitive. Which is FB's strategy, they hide everything so that the average user settles for the (very user-unfriendly) default settings.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i like the fact i have more control on who sees pics, like i can post pages and make it visible to the my scrappies circle only, and the interface as well

oh there is an app for G+ on iPhone now (not sure about android yet)

Old 07-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Jury's still out on this one . . . I haven't even joined G+ yet, but I barely have time to keep up with the stuff I already have, so I'm not sure I need to be adding yet another time thief to my agenda!

My Blog: Quantum Leaps