Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann
Default Talk to me about....

Coconut oil. I know that we have talked about it before but I want to know the health benefits of it...from a DIY beauty stand point. Not a cooking way. I've pinned a thing about using baking soda and coconut oil as a face wash. I have been getting horrible adult acne but I read that its supposed to help with clearing up the skin. I've also heard its good for hair. So how do you use? What DIY recipes do you have that uses coconut oil?

Or anything else you think will help this acne issue.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Huh. My daughter just started taking it as a supplement to try to regulate her hormones. It seems to be great for many things.

No idea about using it for acne, but I know the same daughter makes a homemade makeup remover with olive oil, baby shampoo and water. Maybe substitute the olive oil with coconut oil to make a face wash? http://www.kristanlynn.com/2011/05/diy-clean-eyes.html

Huh, after going to the link they suggest using coconut oil. She swears by it and she has great skin for a teenage girl.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just use it straight out of the jar as a moisturizer. I don't have acne problems though (just old dry skin ) It also helps fade stretch marks and age spots
Old 02-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been using it as a deodorant for about a year and just started using it to wash my face in place of the olive & castor oil mixture I had been using. I've heard that it's good for age spots (not that you have to worry about that anytime soon!) and stretch marks. I don't use conditioner in my hair anymore and just put a little coconut oil on it when I get out of the shower if I feel it needs a bit of moisture. I also use it 'down there' and haven't had a yeast infection in over a year. Not totally sure if that's related, but it could be.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

i heard of great benefits of coco oil, too. i use other veggy oils because i have quite fatty skin but might want to try it as a eye make up remover.

miss kim, i did the same thing as your daughter regarding the makeupemover but i have to say that using the oil only with a hot watered towel afterwards is even better to the eye.
the baby-shampoo really made my eyes burn.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateD View Post
I've been using it as a deodorant for about a year and just started using it to wash my face in place of the olive & castor oil mixture I had been using. I've heard that it's good for age spots (not that you have to worry about that anytime soon!) and stretch marks. I don't use conditioner in my hair anymore and just put a little coconut oil on it when I get out of the shower if I feel it needs a bit of moisture. I also use it 'down there' and haven't had a yeast infection in over a year. Not totally sure if that's related, but it could be.
"Down there" lol is totally a diy beauty area.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I've been using it as a deodorant for about a year
Do you just use it straight, as a deoderant, or is there a recipe? I want to ditch store deoderant...just figuring out what to use in its place.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by k23m View Post
Do you just use it straight, as a deoderant, or is there a recipe? I want to ditch store deoderant...just figuring out what to use in its place.
I'm curious as well! I've tried several types of anti-perspirants, deodorants and sorry for the TMI, only a fraction of them barely work for me :/ We've an abundance of coconut oil here, so I'm willing to give it a try.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
At first, I was mixing up a recipe that included some kind of powder - cornstarch, maybe. My skin got really dark and irritated after a couple of months and I switched to just plain organic virgin coconut oil. Honestly, I was surprised at first that the homemade deodorant worked, but it really has. It's just a deodorant, though, not an antiperspirant. That took a bit of getting used to. I haven't had problems with a lot of sweat, it's just a bit sticky at times. And, I really think that I've been sweating less now that my body is allowed to work the way it's supposed to and not being blocked by the antiperspirants.

My hubby teases me sometimes about how "crunchy granola" I've gone, but I feel a lot better knowing that I'm not using a product with aluminum since that has been linked to breast cancer. I've tried a brand of natural deodorant and, frankly, I like my coconut oil better.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I use it for tons of stuff, but this year I've had SUPER dry skin on my legs (dry heat, I guess) and have been slathering it on. It really helps. A friend also used it on her baby's cradle cap and it worked much better than olive oil!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Okay, the more I read up about it, the more I think I'm going to give it a try. I've had some pretty horrible back-acne and a lot of people have been claiming it helps soothe the skin because of its anti-bacterial properties. We'll see.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I also use it 'down there' and haven't had a yeast infection in over a year. Not totally sure if that's related, but it could be.
It is related! I've read that. I now use it instead of diaper rash cream.

Coconut oil is magic. I loooooove it.

I was mixing tea tree oil and coconut oil for a deodorant but I wasn't happy with the way I was applying it. I want to make my own stick... I pinned a recipe about that! Just need to try it out.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Here's the one I want to mess around with: http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/...-or-spray.html

But after what Kate said, maybe just w/o cornstarch...

Old 02-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I use it as a full body moisturizer, on my daughter's eczema, as a lip balm, hair conditioner, brush my teeth with it, treat/prevent yeast infections, foot cream to treat/prevent athletes foot, homemade vapor rub, and am going to start making natural deodorant. I am kinda obsessed
Old 02-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been meaning to try it as a deodorant. I NEED the antiperspirant properties though. I sweat a LOT, always have. It's a genetic thing.

Interesting about it preventing yeast infections. I'll have to look into that. My daughter had horrible issues with yeast when she was a baby. I wish I had known about it then! I've never had a yeast infection myself so her experience was the only experience I've had with that.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm too sweaty to use it as a deodorant and using it for the oil cleansing method didn't work for me. I still use it a lot, I take off my makeup with it, use it as a body moisturizer, I use it on my hair periodically. I think it's super tasty in the kitchen for certain recipes. I love rubbing it on my cuticles. DD has severe eczema, she uses it as a make up remover too. She's used it as a moisturizer but it doesn't treat her eczema, but hers is severe, I think if hers was a milder case it would be more helpful.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I wanted to mention that the brand you choose really does sort of matter. I've heard "Spectrum" is not that great. I like Nutiva (smells coconutty) which I order through Frontier Co-op for a good price, and I like to get Tropical Traditions expeller-pressed coconut oil for cooking (no coconut taste, just all the benefits) whenever they have a sale. I literally buy it in a huge white bucket. They have really good quality products.

I pretty much only use coconut oil and olive oil for cooking, do not use any vegetable oils (soybean, canola, etc) for health reasons.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Oh, and if you go to the Tropical Traditions website (not sure if it is OK to post link here) they actually do have skin care products, etc. I haven't tried them, but I have been tempted and probably will one of these days!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:57 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

i just found this on pinterest:
http://www.deliciousobsessions.com/2...downright-odd/