Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Hybrid without a color printer? What do you do?

Just wondering if there is anyone out there does not have a color printer and still does hybrid?

If you try to take it to an office store, etc. to print do they give you a hassle saying it violates copyright?

Our color printer would get clogged and the inks were expensive so I got rid of it years ago. I used to make cards when rubber stamping was popular. Now I have all of these wonderful Sweet Shoppe kits that I just love. Yesterday I bought Back to School cards for the kids. They are cute and all but I'm sitting here thinking that 1) that money could have purchased another kit or two in the Sweet Shoppe and 2) If I had made the cards myself they could have been more personalized to each child.

So please give me ideas on how you get around not having a color printer...and if you think I need a color printer do you have any recommendations for something that is both inexpensive and small?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

You can take projects to Staples, Kinkos or Office Depot and have them printed on cardstock or regular paper. I'd expect it to be $1 per sheet you print.

I used to try to do smaller projects and print on photo paper at Wallgreens, but they it's all shiny and well - just not the right look sometimes.

I begged for a color laser printer last Christmas and I'm really happy with it. It's a Samsung. I use it almost daily for work and for projects. Do you have any friends that could print for you? Maybe you could pay them a certain amount per page?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think if you had to, you could carry the designer terms of use with you if necessary. But if you explain that you used photoshop to create your project, that should really be sufficient.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think if you are going to do a lot of hybrid stuff it would be more cost effective to just buy an midline printer, just my opinion though

I have in a pinch or when I needed a wierd size printed at Office Depot and never had a problem, hth
Old 08-31-2012, 08:56 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I, too, have printed at Kinkos and other stores and never had problems with hybrid stuff (photos - that is another story - ).

Color Laser printers sure have come down in price of late... I still like my inkjet for my hybrid and will only use our color laser for big jobs like party favors. However, I know it's more cost effective to print on the laser.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks ladies.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I used Staples in the past and they were super helpful. The girl made sure my project did not get anything cut off and saved me a little money by making it a tad smaller so I could print two on one paper. I was thrilled with the print quality. It looked exactly like what it did on my computer and they had a huge variety of papers to choose from (some are special order if I remember correctly).

But I do agree you can get a good quality printer to print at home for a fairly good price. If you are wanting to do hybrid often it might be a good investment. If it is only occaisionally then an office store would work fine. I would recomend a cardstock personally so it is a little heavier

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 09-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

I don't do it often, but when I do, I email it to Staples and have them print it on cardstock.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to print my hybrid 'bits' on the 4x6 cheapy prints at the photo place and then cut them up. I liked the quality of the prints from the photo place and think they made great cards!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Since Wal-Mart loves to give me grief and the other stores (Office Max, Office Depot) require a trip into town, I usually carefully plan my hybrids around when I print my regular layouts and then just go through Persnickety Prints. I can usually get two images on a single page, so it's about the same cost as in-town (and saves me gas money). I've never been disappointed with Persnickety.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
Since Wal-Mart loves to give me grief and the other stores (Office Max, Office Depot) require a trip into town, I usually carefully plan my hybrids around when I print my regular layouts and then just go through Persnickety Prints. I can usually get two images on a single page, so it's about the same cost as in-town (and saves me gas money). I've never been disappointed with Persnickety.
Duh. Why didn't I think of that?

Thank you. That's just another reason why I love asking here. There are so many people willing to share ideas.

Last edited by scrap2day; 09-08-2012 at 05:12 PM.