Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Kids and thunderstorms....

So my boys are 7 and 5 and just recently have started FREAKING out when it thunders. My oldest is currently sitting UNDER his desk with his fingers in his ears. REEEEEE-DICULOUS. They used to get a little scared with storms and would come in our room at night but its gone way beyond that now. Is this just a phase they are going through and will they out grow it?

And yes...I did get a picture of this. Gonna have to scrap it to embarass him later!
Old 07-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mine don't do this. My little sister did though.......she out grew it. It didn't last too long. Maybe a year. I am sure your boys are feeding off each other too. Ugh. Sorry Amber. I know that has to be irritating and frustrating. ((HUGS))
Old 07-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Dude. I just about do this. I don't like thunder--it's unsettling! But we get LOUD thunder in Florida...

Two nights ago, I swear something just about hit the house. The noise was so loud and right on top of us, I woke up yelling "WTF?!" (and, um, I don't normally say things like that out loud. LOL!).

Old 07-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

My sister did the same thing. And she sat inside during parades bc of the noise.

You should read/do the book thundercake by patricia polacco. Great book and it distracts from the storm! .
Old 07-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the recommendation Kristin! Will have to check on that book.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:44 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

My 7 year old has started to freak out too. He also obsessively checks the weather on my phone so that he can worry for hours beforehand if a storm is coming. I can only hope that he will outgrow it. I'll have to check out that book Kristin recommended too.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Ok, my DD has a serious fear of thunder. And like Nicole said, it is LOUD here in South Florida. We have checked out many books about thunder from the library. We also "made" thunder one time together after a bad storm. I pulled out pots, pans, put rocks in an empty milk jug... we stomped our feet and banged on the table. The kids said BOOM! And it was fun... I was hoping to lighten up DD about it. Get her to see it's loud, sure, but it's harmless.

I remember my mom telling me about thunder when I was scared as a kid. She said God was bowling. LOL! like: Booom... the bowling ball rolls down and CRACK! there goes the pins!! I tried that once with DD and she just said something like, well... God better stop bowling it is scaring me.

She is still afraid of it, but she's much less dramatic about it. Last night she woke up 3 times because it was thundering. But at least she isn't screaming in fear anymore.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ha ha! My mom told me it was God bowling, too. Makes me wonder if it was in a popular movie or something...

Old 07-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I have really bad storm anxiety myself. I get super nervous and sick to my stomach when it's going to storm :0/

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 07-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My SIL is like you Meg. Especially when there is a tornado watch. Makes her get the bathroom trots! LOL!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh, I hate storms... have always been afraid of storms. As a child, I was the one up in the middle of the night listening to the radio and police scanner on where the storm was, what was spotted, etc... didn't help that my dad LOVED to sleep through storms and my mom is deaf without her hearing aid - so that left me. And even today, when there is a bad storm in the area - I'm collecting up valuables ready to head down to the tornado hideout in the basement (under the steps). Now that I'm a mom - I can hold it together as not to freak out Jake... he is weather obsessed... he always checks the weather, not for storms - just to see what the weather is like. We went through a two week phase where he had to watch the weather for an hour or two every morning... haha

Yeah, I was told bowling, too... but it was the Angels bowling, not God... I also heard that they were moving a piano... and the angels were throwing a party with fireworks to celebrate nice weather...
Old 07-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Thunder here in Florida is really bad and it sometimes startles me. If you try to explain that thunder is just a noise and can't hurt you maybe thta will ease their fears?

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Rachel (6) doesn't like it when it's really loud, but she doesn't hide...but she will ask if there's a tornado coming and tell me we need to go to the shelter. She used to cry when she was younger (4 maybe?)

The best thing for her in dealing with her fear was to explain, in as simple a way as possible, what thunder was. So we got a book from the library and talked about it...now she tries to explain it to us. LOL
Old 07-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Thunderstorms don't bother me.. tornados freak me the hell out.

Abby is terrified of thunder. She's 8. It admittedly drives me a little insane.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My kids have all gone through a period of being scared, but it was around 2-5 years old. My 3 year old DD woke up screaming in panic during a storm earlier this week. The boys (6 and 8) have been okay with the few small evening storms we've had lately, but I don't know how they'd do if they were awake during a big storm.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My son gets a little scared. I tried explaining what it really is, but it didn't seem to matter much. Then he got obsessed with super heros. Now I just tell him its Thor and he's happy. lol
Old 07-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

emma used to be terrified, but when my grandma passed away, we started with the 'oh, it's just grandma bowling with her friends in heaven! she's letting you know she's ok!!' and since then she's been fine.

madelyn is still petrified but she's little still.

it's so cute to hear emma tell madelyn, 'madsy! it's just grandma telling you she's happy you're in the house and safe!'

Old 07-12-2012, 07:48 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallMoments View Post
You should read/do the book thundercake by patricia polacco. Great book and it distracts from the storm! .
That is a great idea. I love that book!

We don't have bad summer thunder storms here. Every once in awhile it will thunder and lightening, but it is rare. My three year old nephew lives with us and he was terrified of the fireworks on 4th of July because of the noise. Poor guy. I thought I was providing a fun experience for him but he sat huddled in my lap the whole time. I hope your kids outgrow their fear; it is no fun being afraid.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I was frightened of thunder here in Florida until I was 14. It took me telling myself that I am 14 now and need to grow up. I was so scared in between a thunder and a bolt I would run to my parents room and sleep on the floor. I can't tell you why I was so scared of it though, but Florida thunderstorms are loud and viscous!