Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2023, 10:08 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Newest and hottest gifts for 2023

Our grandkiddos have SO many toys, that this year we're giving them gift cards - Nintendo gift card for our grandson and American Girl cards for the girls - that way we KNOW they will play with whatever THEY pick out. We will also do something as a family after Christmas ... water park ... day at the Arcade, etc.

So I'm really out of the loop as far as what the hot new gift ideas are.

Spam me with what gifts your family has on their Christmas list this year.
Old 12-08-2023, 10:58 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I didn't ask for lists...I sort of just winged it lol

Got a lot of graphic t-shirts for the teens (we have 6 kids ages 7-21). Art stuff and gardening stuff for my 7yr old. I'm excited to watch everyone open their stuff

Old 12-08-2023, 12:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabobaura View Post
I didn't ask for lists...I sort of just winged it lol

Got a lot of graphic t-shirts for the teens (we have 6 kids ages 7-21). Art stuff and gardening stuff for my 7yr old. I'm excited to watch everyone open their stuff
Graphic T's are a great idea! Your 7 year old sounds very creative!!
Old 12-08-2023, 12:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ugh, having teenagers is the worst- everything is so expensive!

My daughter (15) is pretty easy to shop for as she loves all the hair/makeup/clothes stuff popular now. She wants lululemon shorts and tank tops- although she's sent me some amazon dupes links that I've forwarded on to my mom/sister for her. She wants a new bat for softball & of course the one she wants is $500. So that's pretty much all she gets.

My son (12) needed a new gaming system, his old one was almost 8 years old & either needed a new hard drive or just replaced. So he is getting a new xbox. That's all he pretty much cares about. His list was a new xbox, xbox giftcards and a Kraken Jersey.

My inlaws are taking us to Hawaii for Christmas, so the kids both get their big gift from us and then I've loaded their stockings with reef safe sunscreen, waterproof phone cases and travel supplies. We all are getting new swimsuits for Christmas too. We've been preaching to the kids that Hawaii is for Christmas and that we will want to do some adventures there as well as buy souvenirs, so I think they understand that under the tree will not be much this year- but our gifts are plenty!
Old 12-08-2023, 01:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

WOW, that's one heck of an inlaw gift. I want your inlaws. Damn!

lol

I'm out of the loop too. My kids are 18/19 and they are long away from toys and even farther from trends. We've always been a frugal family. So never been trendy anyway, always find the dupes if we can.

Last year was the last year for "lists" since my son was 17 - technically not an adult. lol
So this year I'm just doing whatever I feel like, which will probably be some Visa gift cards. and other little things I know they like.

Old 12-08-2023, 02:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My 17-year-old son is very into speech and student congress so he always asks for dress clothes and books. So this year his big present is a second suit in a more fun color (burgundy), he's gonna be excited about it. I also got him books, hoodies, a video game, and gift cards for fast food places he likes to go with his friends.
Old 12-08-2023, 02:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We do 4 gifts each: something they want, need, wear, read and because I have a hard time keeping to that sometimes, we add in a couple extra gifts too.

My girls also do "secret sister". They each draw the name of one of the other girls and with a $20 price limit purchase something for that one sister. Now that they are older and they all have jobs, they use extra money and purchase at least something for each of their sisters also. Then they are given a budget to shop for me and my husband also. It started as 1 gift from 2 of the girls for my husband and the other 2 girls picked out something for me. But this year, they all combined and purchased the gifts all together.

We usually do a Secret Sister shopping trip one weekend before Christmas where we are all supposed to finish our Christmas shopping (or sometimes it's been starting it). But I'm not sure what they have planned for this year. I believe most of them are finished with their shopping!

When the girls were younger, we had a hard time with Birthday parties. We live farther away from most of their friends, so noone ever came to any parties we threw. So we started doing a different "thing" each year. Out to dinner (the girl picks the restaurant), an Event (we have done- the zoo, a movie, a concert, a sports event, water park, etc). Also, when they turned 16, each girl chose a dream vacation for that year. We went to the UP of MI, on a Disney Cruise, a WDW Halloween vacation, and a trip to CA/Disneyland. We have a birthday 3 days before Christmas, so for us, coming up with a Birthday idea and Christmas can go hand in hand.

Last edited by aussiegirl; 12-08-2023 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-08-2023, 02:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
They do spoil us rotten- it helps that my hubby is an only child- so we are the only recipients of their spoiling! My daughter used to say "I just say papa please (nicely)- he will buy me whatever I want" - except he refused to get her a pony when she was little!

Side note- he was in a very serious motorcycle accident a little over a year ago. Thankfully he's mostly recovered but will have some life long issues. Since then, I think he realized that life is fleeting- he's been living life to its fullest and I think he's trying to make as many memories/experiences with what he has left- hopefully MANY more years to come! And luckily, most of those include our little family too!
Old 12-08-2023, 04:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
Ugh, having teenagers is the worst- everything is so expensive!

My daughter (15) is pretty easy to shop for as she loves all the hair/makeup/clothes stuff popular now. She wants lululemon shorts and tank tops- although she's sent me some amazon dupes links that I've forwarded on to my mom/sister for her. She wants a new bat for softball & of course the one she wants is $500. So that's pretty much all she gets.

My son (12) needed a new gaming system, his old one was almost 8 years old & either needed a new hard drive or just replaced. So he is getting a new xbox. That's all he pretty much cares about. His list was a new xbox, xbox giftcards and a Kraken Jersey.

My inlaws are taking us to Hawaii for Christmas, so the kids both get their big gift from us and then I've loaded their stockings with reef safe sunscreen, waterproof phone cases and travel supplies. We all are getting new swimsuits for Christmas too. We've been preaching to the kids that Hawaii is for Christmas and that we will want to do some adventures there as well as buy souvenirs, so I think they understand that under the tree will not be much this year- but our gifts are plenty!
I bet your kiddos will be thrilled with your gifts - and WOW to a HI vacation from your inlaws! That will be amazing, so many memories created (and thus, so many scrapping opportunities! LOL!)
Old 12-08-2023, 04:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post

lol

I'm out of the loop too. My kids are 18/19 and they are long away from toys and even farther from trends. We've always been a frugal family. So never been trendy anyway, always find the dupes if we can.

Last year was the last year for "lists" since my son was 17 - technically not an adult. lol
So this year I'm just doing whatever I feel like, which will probably be some Visa gift cards. and other little things I know they like.
I think that sounds perfect! Sometimes "less" is really much much more!!
Old 12-08-2023, 04:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
My 17-year-old son is very into speech and student congress so he always asks for dress clothes and books. So this year his big present is a second suit in a more fun color (burgundy), he's gonna be excited about it. I also got him books, hoodies, a video game, and gift cards for fast food places he likes to go with his friends.
I bet he will be thrilled!! How cool that he is into student congress!!
Old 12-08-2023, 04:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
We do 4 gifts each: something they want, need, wear, read and because I have a hard time keeping to that sometimes, we add in a couple extra gifts too.

My girls also do "secret sister". They each draw the name of one of the other girls and with a $20 price limit purchase something for that one sister. Now that they are older and they all have jobs, they use extra money and purchase at least something for each of their sisters also. Then they are given a budget to shop for me and my husband also. It started as 1 gift from 2 of the girls for my husband and the other 2 girls picked out something for me. But this year, they all combined and purchased the gifts all together.

We usually do a Secret Sister shopping trip one weekend before Christmas where we are all supposed to finish our Christmas shopping (or sometimes it's been starting it). But I'm not sure what they have planned for this year. I believe most of them are finished with their shopping!

When the girls were younger, we had a hard time with Birthday parties. We live farther away from most of their friends, so noone ever came to any parties we threw. So we started doing a different "thing" each year. Out to dinner (the girl picks the restaurant), an Event (we have done- the zoo, a movie, a concert, a sports event, water park, etc). Also, when they turned 16, each girl chose a dream vacation for that year. We went to the UP of MI, on a Disney Cruise, a WDW Halloween vacation, and a trip to CA/Disneyland. We have a birthday 3 days before Christmas, so for us, coming up with a Birthday idea and Christmas can go hand in hand.
I love each of your family - oriented ideas!! You've gone on some wonderful, memory making vacations!
Old 12-08-2023, 10:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have 2 boys (17 and 20) and a girl (almost 15). My daughter is into trendy clothes and makeup, and she makes me a wishlist with Canva, giving each item its own slide with a photo, price, where to find it, etc. So she's getting some of the things she asked for: Brandy Melville zip hoodie, Brandy Melville sweats, a Baggu purse, and cash. Her birthday is also in December, so she's getting Ugg slippers and maybe a small gift card or item.

My boys aren't trendy at all, so I have no idea what's trendy for young adult males! My 17 year old is into cubing and nothing else, so he's getting a bunch of cubes and some cash. My 20-year old is a computer gamer. He got a really nice new computer for high school graduation and a new gaming headset last year, so there's nothing on his wishlist this year. (He waits for games to go on a good sale, so he monitors them and buys then rather than asking for them.) He got a Visa gift card, an IOU for a new suitcase he needs (which we'll pick out together when he's home from college for Winter Break), and some fudge covered Oreos just so he has something he can open and have right away. He just bought himself a new game, I think something in the Assassin's Creed line.

Last edited by rach3975; 12-08-2023 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-09-2023, 12:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I have 2 boys (17 and 20) and a girl (almost 15). My daughter is into trendy clothes and makeup, and she makes me a wishlist with Canva, giving each item its own slide with a photo, price, where to find it, etc. So she's getting some of the things she asked for: Brandy Melville zip hoodie, Brandy Melville sweats, a Baggu purse, and cash. Her birthday is also in December, so she's getting Ugg slippers and maybe a small gift card or item.

My boys aren't trendy at all, so I have no idea what's trendy for young adult males! My 17 year old is into cubing and nothing else, so he's getting a bunch of cubes and some cash. My 20-year old is a computer gamer. He got a really nice new computer for high school graduation and a new gaming headset last year, so there's nothing on his wishlist this year. (He waits for games to go on a good sale, so he monitors them and buys then rather than asking for them.) He got a Visa gift card, an IOU for a new suitcase he needs (which we'll pick out together when he's home from college for Winter Break), and some fudge covered Oreos just so he has something he can open and have right away. He just bought himself a new game, I think something in the Assassin's Creed line.
Your daughter sounds very organized!! I love the idea of her putting the items on Canva!!

I think, in general, boys are more difficult to buy for all around! Sounds like you have it all covered though!!
Old 12-09-2023, 02:04 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We're getting a pool!
I say that plus some new bathing suits, pool toys, etc. IS the Christmas present for everyone, but my husband disagrees
My daughter (9 years old) wants/needs a new bike- she asked Santa for that and "lots of lollipops" as well as a book series (The Bad Guys). My son wants Pokemon cards.
Old 12-09-2023, 04:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
Your daughter sounds very organized!! I love the idea of her putting the items on Canva!!
She is definitely my mini-me, very organized and researching all decisions first.

The Teen Girl vs Boy Christmas Lists video from The Holderness Family says it all. The girl characterization is 100% my daughter, and my sons are only a step above the teen boy characterization!
Old 12-09-2023, 06:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids are all teenagers and not the easiest to buy for. My 13 year old son doesn't know what he wants and has been no help with a list. My 16 year old son is probably the easiest because he gave me a long list with lots of "options" he said, but they aren't cheap. He is a runner and wants new shoes and running shorts from chicknlegs. If you don't know what they are, you should google them. They have weird things on them like pickles, rubber duckies, pink famingoes. The boys on his team all wear coordinating shorts to run during practice, LOL. He also wants some Carhartt stuff, new cowboy boots,cowboy hat...he is my country boy! My daughter made a list of mostly clothes, but also snacks & stuff for college which I had to LOL about. SHe said she was being practical. I did get her a pair of converse that she wanted. Honestly, I really miss the days of fisher-price toys, barbies, and matchbox cars! Things were so much easier and more fun when they were little.
Old 12-09-2023, 06:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
The Teen Girl vs Boy Christmas Lists video from The Holderness Family says it all. The girl characterization is 100% my daughter, and my sons are only a step above the teen boy characterization!
OMG yes! I just sent that to our family chat & my daughter was laughing so hard she cried. She said it was like her & her brother made it. Lol!
Old 12-10-2023, 11:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have 2 boys...13 and 19. The dang 19 yr old may get coal...LOL He won't stop buying stuff for himself. We do 3 gifts from us (clothes, something fun, and then book/vinyl etc). My youngest is getting books, clothes, and an experience with the penguins at Sea World. (we have done dolphins and beluga whales too). He is a huge animal lover. The oldest we have clothes, a vinyl and not sure on the third yet.
Santa also brings some fun things as well. The oldest is getting a new radio for his car (it has a back up camera, android auto etc) He drives a 2006 honda...then some smaller stocking stuffers like lottery ticket, Beatles playing cards, candy
The younger we don't know. I found a remote and case for the Switch on clearance...not sure what else though...