Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny
Default What temp do you keep your house at?

During the summertime when you're home, what temperature do you keep your thermostat at?

I was reading about this and every site I looked at said to keep it at 78*. I don't know about ya'll, but if my house was 78* all day long I'd KILL myself!

So I'm just curious... what temp do you keep your thermostat at during the summer?

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 02-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

79 - seriously. We have too much heat too long....couldn't afford the bills if we kept it comfortable all the time LOL

and we keep it at about 65 during the winter.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We keep it at about 72 but if I get hot I have no problem bumping it down and at night it goes down to about 65...can't sleep hot no way..but you know we're in Mississippi..the humidity kills.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

we keep ours at 71 in the winter and 77 in the summer

Old 02-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I don't have central air, but I let that baby run until I am comfortable. No point in being hot in your own home, but I don't live down south either.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hubby bought one of those great little programmable air conditioners last summer. Insisted he wanted the place at 68 all summer.

Our electricity bill payments doubled.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

When I was growing up, my parents turned off the central air completely at night in the summertime...it was MISERY...I vowed I would be comfortable at night when I grew up no matter what lol. I understand why they did it..but I hated it just the same lol. You just can't NOT have a/c in the South..even at night. lol

Old 02-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Electric here is so expensive in the summer. We keep ours at 80, but occasionally bump it down a bit to 79 or 78 if we can't take it anymore!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

We just use a fan in each of our rooms (just the 2) at night in the summer..so that we're not cooling off the whole house at night when no one is up.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

76-78 in the summer

freakin' cold in the winter. Joel and i fight back and forth. He'll put it at 62/63 and I'll bump it up to 65/67. It's too cold. No WONDER I'm sick!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

ummmm...doesn't matter...we do NOT have central air in the PNW...so whatever the temp outside, that is what the temp inside is!

Last edited by nun69; 02-16-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

probably 78 to 80. A little cooler at night. We could not afford it if it was any lower because we have like nine months out of the year where we run the AC

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 02-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

About 72. It's just too sticky hot here for it to be set any warmer. I try to keep it at 68 in the winter, but I still freeze most of the time.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Summer... that is a a fight with my hubby. When it's really humid, then the air goes on and the house sits at 72ish... if hubby had his way, air would be on all the time from June through Aug... but I don't like air, it causes sinus problems for me and I love to have the windows open and house smelling fresh... I love heat and being warm!

So... that brings Winter... I love it warm so the house is 71... and I'm still bundled up on the sofa with a thick wool quilt. Hubby would like it 65 at night... but kiddo kicks off the blankets and his bedroom is on the Northwest corner of the house... the coldest area.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

We're in humidity central here in Florida and we keep it at 78...I can't stand a high bill.
At night we turn our master bedroom unit down to 74, but the other ones stay at 78.

Winter time we freeze...we keep them at 63 downstairs and then L.J.'s room upstairs we have at 68 so he won't be too cold at night.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh gosh Rebecca we have our air on sometimes in December and January. Typically I dont run it everyday until April but it does not go off everyday until November sometimes December. I need to move away from Florida because I HATE the hot humid mugginess that is the south

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 02-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We keep ours at about 77 in the summer. I'm going to try 78 this summer.

I could be wrong, but I think 77 feels much better to us who are used to 95-110 degrees for several months. If it was only in the 80s, 77 wouldn't feel very cool you know?

If I get hot though, I definitely turn it down. Oh, and this is with ceiling fans in every room (2 living areas, all 3 bedrooms) that are always on in the summer and each of our bedrooms also has a fan by the bed--shane and I each have our own fans right at our faces. Even in the winter.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJenny View Post
During the summertime when you're home, what temperature do you keep your thermostat at?

I was reading about this and every site I looked at said to keep it at 78*. I don't know about ya'll, but if my house was 78* all day long I'd KILL myself!
Yes see but that 78 doesn't account for just how intense the sun is here in Colorado. 78 here is like 88 everywhere else. Our house came pre-wired for AC but we decided to wait to put in an actual unit since the highs here were only supposed in the low 80s and that's totally reasonable coming from CA but ummm yeah, I about died the first two summers here. This will be the first summer we have AC and you can bet I'll be using it. I get cold easily so I don't know what I'll run it on but I wouldn't be surprised if it was at 75 or lower, haha.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

69 is our night-time temp. Usu. a few degrees higher during the day - 74-ish?

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 02-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

We're at 73 in the summer, 70 in the winter. Any higher and Jordan complains about it being too hot, any colder and I complain that I can't feel my toes. We have the ceiling fans in the house running whenever we are home in the summer. It goes off at night and during the day while we're at work (well, goes up to like 85 in summer and down to 60 in winter).
Old 02-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

summertime i try to keep it around 72. but Indiana can get some hot humid summers so sometimes i crank that baby to below 70!

now in the winter, its at around 73 when its really cold. this house is drafty. i like to be warm. though sometimes at night i turn it down to 67 cause DH is like a space heater, then Aidan is usually on the other side of me. so i get hot, lol. but then in the morning it goes back up again cause the floor is cold!
Old 02-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
ummmm...doesn't matter...we do NOT have central air in the PNW...so whatever the temp outside, that is what the temp inside is!
yup, we are the same here, no A/C. We keep the house shut up during the day on the side(s) where the sun is, open everything wide up as soon as the sun goes down to allow the breeze to flow through. Amazingly though, our house stays really cool in the summer, even during the day. Which is weird with no insulation in the house, but whatever works. lol

We keep the heat at 72 in the winter.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kresta View Post
69 is our night-time temp. Usu. a few degrees higher during the day - 74-ish?
Ditto! Seriously...cannot stand the heat here and we PAY for it, but both of us are miserable when we are hot! So we pay pay pay! 78 would just make me grumpy all day!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

In the summer, it's on 82ish. We have a ceiling fan in the living room in addition to a regular stand fan. Everyone has the stand fans in bedrooms. At night, I turn it down closer to 75. I'd prefer it be even colder, but if it runs too long at night then I start thinking about our bill, so I turn it back up.

In the winter, usually 62-63 at night, and 68-70 when we're home. It's on 70 right now, and I have my legs wrapped in a wool blanket. Kids have slippers and blankets. Our bill is probably not high compared to others, but I hate paying a lot for it.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:29 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

We have a programmable thermostat, so in the summer I have the A/C turn on when it is hotter than 77 and the heat come on if it gets colder than 68. If I get hot and it's lower than 77 I just use a fan, that's cheaper for us than using the A/C for the whole house.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

it seriously depends on the day...we try to open it up at night & close it down before daylight, & keep as much direct sun out as possible (although that makes me CRAZY, a high power bill makes me crazier) we usually get a nice evening breeze, & that helps --so summer anywhere from 72-80*

--normally winter 71*, sometimes higher or lower, depending on how much is going on inside, if I'm cooking a lot or cleaning, then definately lower...if it's a lazy winter day, up to 73 (never higher than that though).
Old 02-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

In the winter we keep it at 67/68. In the summer, 75 during the day and 73 at night. I'm warm-natured and would not be a happy camper any warmer than 75 during the summer!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My thermostat stays around 72, summer or winter.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We use ceiling fans in every room too lol..even with the a/c on.

In the winter I don't run our downstairs unit much at all b/c we have gas logs and if I can manage to keep the bedroom doors and the upstairs doors closed they will keep the entire downstairs nice and warm. I do run the upstairs unit at about 72 at night b/c the kids are up there and they tend to kick off their blankets. We don't run any heat downstairs at night during the winter...cannot sleep hot...are you sensing that I'm really hot natured lol

Old 02-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we keep our house at 66-67 year round...anything warmer than that and i get cranky (yes, even when it's below zero outside ). our ceiling fans are always on also.

i've been known to bump it down to 64-65 at night if i'm still too warm, which dh usually doesn't appreciate in the winter. too bad
Old 02-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Okay, I'm in Canada, but our new house has all Fahrenheit thermostats (the guy who flipped the house was crazy cheap and probably got a good deal on them, not caring that we use Celcius here) so I can say for sure that we keep most of ours at no more than 65. It's pretty warm though, so I dunno if they are all wrong or what.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

In the summer we set it at 70ish. In the winter we *usually* have it at 62 during the day and 58/60 at night. But with the new babies in December - well, that was way too cold for them, so we've had it set on 70 since they came home. It's been a bit hard for DH and I to get used to it being so warm for sleeping at night - we are all quite accustomed to a very cool house in the winter, particularly at night.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
In the summer we set it at 70ish. In the winter we *usually* have it at 62 during the day and 58/60 at night. But with the new babies in December - well, that was way too cold for them, so we've had it set on 70 since they came home. It's been a bit hard for DH and I to get used to it being so warm for sleeping at night - we are all quite accustomed to a very cool house in the winter, particularly at night.
I would freeze! Freeze.

Ours is at 72 in the winter. It's between 70-72 in the summer. However, our thermostat is upstairs, in the warmest part of the house, b/c an idiot built it. So our a/c runs CONSTANTLY during the summer. I'm on level billing w/ the electric company b/c of it.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

After reading what everyone keeps their heat at, I think we need new windows or something. (Scratch that--I know we do, but it's not happening.) I have to keep our heat way up during the winter, and I'm still cold. Seriously--I have it at 75 and am about to go get my fleece blanket. Two of our upstairs bedrooms stay pretty chilly even at that temp, and since it's the ones the 2 littler kids are in, we just have to pay for the heat.

In the summer I'm perfectly happy at 77 or 78. My DH roasts and insists on sleeping with a fan on, which makes me freeze.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

In the summer for the past 3 years in the desert we had no AC so the 120 it was out side it was 125 inside. We had fans but no ac. We will see what this year will bring in a new climate. Usually we don't turn on AC. If we do its set to 82 ish. I love the heat and enjoy the warmth. DH hates it. So winter comes around I let it be cold. It is usually set around 66 ish. I wear loads of layers!
Old 02-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our house has THE worst insulation ever so we keep it at 80... and our electric bill is still nearly $200 during the summer (for a tiny 1000 sq. ft. house). It's not comfortable, but you do what you gotta do. And in the winter our heater is set to 62.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have it set at 73-74 during the winter, and at 74 in the summer. We have central air and a 3 floor townhouse so we want all the floors at the same temp.

~~Siggie by Laura (emmasmommy)~~
Old 02-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

72 year round AND the ceiling fan and pedastal fan on in the summer...but that's Louisiana for ya...it's like Mississippi...the humidity will kill ya.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

In winter, it is between 16 and 18 Celsius, 16 at night, 18 during the day. Ar night, I also shut my bedroom door and crack open my window. The ceiling fan is always on. I sleep so well all bundled up in the cold.

In summer, we don't have central air, but only a wall unit that runs almost all the time, with fans.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

We keep ours at about 77-80 in the summer depending on humidity. We have an underground house and it traps humidity so the a/c works as a dehumidifier. We have ceiling fans but the do nothing for the humidity. They are nice when the humidity is low though

The winter is 70-73 depending on the winds. There is a lot of glass in our house & even the double pane stuff passes a chill through when it's 20 degrees and 20MPH winds.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

65-70 depending on the weather, can't seem to find that perfect number in between. Occassionally at night it will get bumped up some, but we've had the coldest winter of my lifetime this year. Never seen anything like this in eastern NC. In the summer is when we splurge, all of us are hot natured. It stays around 70, sometimes lower. Can't take the heat!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't know if it's due to the type of heat, or the insulation, or what, but houses set at the same temp can feel very different. My parents' house is heated with a furnace, and it's comfortable at 65 to 67, way too hot at 70. We have a heat pump, and if the temp goes down to 65 we're freezing and have to put coats on.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well, we don't have AC, but we haven't really needed it during the summer. It gets so cold here at night that we open all the windows and let it get cool in the house, then we shut them during the day. That coupled with the ceiling fans keeps it cool all day long.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

68 in the winter & 72 in the summer

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 02-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I don't know if it's due to the type of heat, or the insulation, or what, but houses set at the same temp can feel very different. My parents' house is heated with a furnace, and it's comfortable at 65 to 67, way too hot at 70. We have a heat pump, and if the temp goes down to 65 we're freezing and have to put coats on.
We have a heat pump too and I HATE HATE HATE it. We had to have it serviced last summer and the guy who serviced it said he never understands why homes in the South have heat pumps installed..that it never gets cold enough here for the outside thermostat to recognize that it needs to blow HEAT..so when ours comes on it will blow warm air for about 5 minutes and then it clicks off and it feels like cool air blowing from then on. And it will run and run blowing that cooler air b/c it can never regulate itself or something. I HATE it. I want heat when I turn on the heat kwim? So we rarely use it at all downstairs and use our logs instead.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Out of frugality, we keep our house at 78 during the summer. On occasion we will bump it down to 76 or maaaaybe 75 when it's particularly humid, but no lower than that. We noticed sizeable differences in our electric bill when we dip below 77.

Growing up, my dad always kept our house at a frigid 65 degrees. When my parents divorced, my mom cranked the air up to cut costs and we became used to higher temperatures. DH had a similar experience so we've just stuck with it.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Ours is usually around 76 - 78. This will be our first summer in South Carolina, so we shall see.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I live in Phoenix, and we set it at 79 during the day, 78/77 at night. If it goes above 115, it is 78 during the day and 77 at night. Again, this becomes a tense issue at our house sometimes too.

Sweet Shoppe Gallery
Tiffany's Tidbits
Old 02-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We are 68 in the winter...but my feet and hands freeze anyway. I hate being hot in the summer though...and I can't remember what we had the thermostat set to last summer...but I have no problem bumping it down when I get hot! hehe

And on heat pumps...I grew up with them in SC...not that we needed true heat much there. Here we have gas heat and it is so much warmer when the air comes out and makes the house feel really warm pretty quickly...but my problem with it is the dry, dry air in the house. I keep shocking my kids and even my laptop and when it gets shocked it crashes! LOL Anyone know of a good humidifier?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Unfortunately we don't have Central Air. I wish we did!