Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2015, 01:42 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Default Family History Scrapping

I am going to start working on scrapping all of the old family photos I have inherited (late 1800's - current). I would like to scrap them and put them in a book to help preserve them and so everyone in the family can enjoy them. I am trying to get family members to write down memories and stories so I can include those as well.

I am a little overwhelmed by the idea of this so I am looking for opinions and examples. Would you use one kit for the entire book or use multiple kits that fit with each page? Should I stick with vintage feeling kits or does that matter? If you have done this or have examples, please show me. I think I know how I am organizing the book but the actual scrapping is stumping me. I want to do justice to the photos. Any help, guidance, or opinion is greatly appreciated.

I have some time because just the scanning of the photos is taking me a while and I only have time on the weekends to work on this. I would like to be done in time to pass out at Christmas but that may be optimistic.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would totally switch kits... Otherwise, the project would get tedious, imo. I would just use whatever kits you like that go along with pictures and not worry about vintage.

It sounds like a great project! Good luck!
Old 08-11-2015, 05:44 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for responding. I appreciate it.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I love the idea of this project and want to do something similar with a box of pictures and newspaper clipping my mom gave me of me growing up. I want to make something a little more permanent than just a box of stuff. I can't wait to see what you come up with to give me some ideas!!
Old 08-11-2015, 09:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sounds wonderful! I've done some family history pages myself, although they are not that old. I wanted to make memory books for my son so that he would know the childhoods and histories of his grandparents. To him his grandparents are *old* so thinking of them as the 'class clown' in highschool just doesn't compute!

I agree that you should use what you feel inspired by. It's really no fun to scrap a page with product you aren't that interested in. Although...I suspect you'll enjoy exploring vintage looking product with your old photos, so I would definitely be scoping the shoppe for vintage type kits. I love Jenn Barrettes kits.

Here's one I did of my Dad from the 1950's.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Thanks, Kristi! I appreciate the input and love your page!
Old 08-12-2015, 12:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think it sounds like a great project. My parents got really into genealogy when I was little and now we know a lot about our family back through the mid-1600s. I've often thought how great it would be to make a book that tells that story. But I also know that it can seem almost overwhelming to start a project like that, so good for you getting started!!

I agree with the others on finding different kits that you love for the photos you're scrapping. Only because I know I'd have trouble sticking to just one kit on a large project. I don't think there is a "right" kind of kit to use... you know what inspires you and what you like

I'd also say make a plan and stick to it (being flexible where needed, of course). As you scan in those photos, you can start to organize them into groups/folders that eventually become a page or pages in the book. That way when you have a time after all the scanning, you have a place to start scrapping. I'm a big "to do" list kind of person, so I like to keep a running list in a document of all the pages I've planned to put in a book. Then I can check off what's done and see what I still have left. But that's the list person in me

I'd also say just from personal experience putting together large books, keep it simple. The way I scrap for fun and for my CTs is often different than the way I scrap a special project book. Because I just don't have time to make each page so elaborate. I use templates a lot for large projects.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-2015, 01:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I meant to say... I've used both Cindy's universal album sets and Erica's EZ albums sets
Old 08-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is what I'm currently working on, along with all my other scrapping.
So far I'm still in the collecting phase where I colelct and scan old pictures and try to get my hands on my husband's family history/pictures as well as mine. I've also handed out "grandma/grandpa tell your story" book to all living grandparents and my parents, plus my mil. Hopefully that will help jog their memory and get their stories down on paper for me to incorporate in the book. My grandfather on my mother's side already filled out his book from cover to cover, and in only a months time. I can't wait to read it.

I'm thinking maybe I will do a pocket style and traditional LOs in one book. Pocket pages for all the smaller pictures and full page layouts for important events like weddings, births, celebrations and other special events.

I can't wait to see how your project turns out. Good luck!
Old 08-12-2015, 04:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It's a big job. I like the idea of keeping it simple:

http://www.dimplicity.com/2012/05/ye...urb-books.html
Old 08-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Thank you for all of the responses. You guys are so great! As I am scanning, I am sorting them into folders broken up by family group. I am hoping that will help when I am ready to scrap. I was also definitely going to use templates for the pages. I have also sent questions to family members and asked them to jot down memories. I'll have to see what kind of response I get back.

I am now leaning towards using different kits for the pages. I have a ton of kits so it will be nice to use them.

Thanks, Jacinda, for that link. It had a good idea how to include a family chart in the book too.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerM View Post
Thank you for all of the responses. You guys are so great! As I am scanning, I am sorting them into folders broken up by family group. I am hoping that will help when I am ready to scrap. I was also definitely going to use templates for the pages. I have also sent questions to family members and asked them to jot down memories. I'll have to see what kind of response I get back.

I am now leaning towards using different kits for the pages. I have a ton of kits so it will be nice to use them.

Thanks, Jacinda, for that link. It had a good idea how to include a family chart in the book too.
Awesome!!!!

One thing I did was to fold 'history' scrapping into my regular scrapping, rather than trying to 'get-it-done'. That way it's always a work in progress and can be added to when I have new inspiration, a new story, or a connection with someone. For that reason, mine are printed single page and put in sheet protectors so that it can grow over time.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I have been working on a family history of my family and my husband's - which will be combined into a coffee table book. I have a partial gallery here:
http://scrapstacks.com/hollydolly/Heritage-26

Holly
Old 08-17-2015, 12:00 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Thank you for all of the replies. Hollydolly, thank you for the link to your gallery. Your pages are awesome!
Old 08-17-2015, 11:11 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydolly70 View Post
I have been working on a family history of my family and my husband's - which will be combined into a coffee table book. I have a partial gallery here:
http://scrapstacks.com/hollydolly/Heritage-26

Holly
Loved looking at those pages!