Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default How is everyone dealing right now?

I know we try and keep things lighter here, but I have to ask how everyone is holding up after the school shooting?

As a parent of a 6 year old, I am really taking this hard I am taking some time off of all news and social media right now, because each time I see a photo or story I start crying.

* I don't want this become a debate on gun control, mental illness, or politics. Just a place to seek comfort please.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I, too, have a 6 year old. To be honest with you, I've intentionally avoided the media since this happened. I caught a blip on the morning news when I was getting ready for work today and started crying. It's really unfathomable.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

tbh, i'm ignoring it. i can't deal with it.
perhaps i'm a coward for doing so, but i just don't wanna hear about it.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I thought that I was doing okay with it - until we went to the mall today and it occurred to me that nowhere is safe anymore and I started feeling a little panicky. I'm going to have to figure out how to deal with that feeling because I am not putting my life on hold. It's just plain scary. And so incredibly heartbreaking. I can't stop thinking about these families and the fact that Christmas is next week.

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 12-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I have caught a few stories here and there on CNN online, but no TV on at my house since it happened....I not only have a 6 y/o 1st grader, but a 5 y/o kindergartner (and a 6th grader that are ALL in the same elementary school) and we safely have guns in our house (please don't judge, they are maintained in a safe that only my DH & I know the code and they are all unloaded)....so this hit way too close to home for both myself and DH.....I was so sad that I had to scrap my feelings on Fri night just to get through it.....
Old 12-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's so heartbreaking to think of all the families right now Friday I had one of the twins home with me sick while the other was in school. I caught some of the news but had to turn it off. I was just in tears and didn't want to upset Cait. The girls are 7 and I haven't told them a thing about it and won't let them see any of the coverage. That day the school sent home a notice on upped security and tips on how to talk with our kids about it but I just can't yet. My girls are some of the youngest 7 y olds I know and they are so innocent and niave, thats it's so hard for me to break that bubble for them, ya know? 'bad guys' don't exist for them yet. I've recently been talking to them about how sometimes people do bad things and what to do when bad things happen but I don't even know how I could even help them process something like this. I'm curious to hear some of your stories as well- how this is affecting your kids if they've heard or been told.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I was sad on friday and now I'm ignoring most of the media about it. I talked to my son this morning because I know he'll hear about it at school. The only time I checked was to see who the victims were and to give them a moment of silence and then hope for lots of strength for their family & friends. I'm going on with normal routine because that way, I can show my kids that despite what happened, life goes on, you must be strong and that mom, dad and the people who care for you will do whatever it takes to keep you safe.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

Honestly I've become obsessed with this story. As heart-wrenching as it, it's like a bad car wreck that you can't turn away from. And no matter how hard I try I can't turn away from it. I sit there and watch and get sick to my stomach and cry and get angry and yet I still can't stop watching. I want answers, and details.
And then I sit there and debate ever letting my child out of my home. I sit and snuggle her and cuddle and try not to think of the evil in this world.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

All the mass shootings have affected me, but this one is hitting me especially hard because I grew up 10 miles from where it happened. My parents still live there, and I was just home over Thanksgiving. It makes it more real than all the others for me. I've been afraid to look at the victim list because there could be kids of people I went to school with on it.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I'm really struggling, too. A good friend of mine lost her son in a tragic accident on Friday, so between that and the shooting, I'm a mess. Right now, I'm intentionally avoiding the news because it's just too much to handle. I can easily let myself get freaked out, and that isn't healthy. So, for me, it's better to turn it off and remember those precious children in my heart rather than subjecting myself to the non-stop coverage.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm having a hard time with it too. My son is six so maybe that is why it is hitting me so hard. I have also avoided most of the news stories. I am already so upset by it that I know seeing the families talk about it would only make it worse. I have prayed a lot, cried a lot and been very angry about it. Last night we had a Christmas program at church and one of the songs was "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" by Casting Crowns. It was sung complete with a choir of children (one of whom was mine) and I just wanted to sob because the words were so true and I couldn't help but think of those families who won't have their children with them on Christmas Day or any other day.

My husband and son were at the deer lease this weekend so we haven't told him anything about it, nor do I plan to.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Usually these things don't bother me... but given that it was 6-7 year olds... it hits too close to home for me. I'm very thankful that I do homeschool... but kiddo does go to classes at the YMCA and local museums - similar things could happen there or anywhere we go... I do try to avoid the news... but once in a while I get on an article from facebook and I'm drawn into the little lives lost and I loose it....
Old 12-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm in a major funk and avoiding media as well... I have to keep reminding myself that there is more good in the world than there is evil, otherwise I think I would never leave the house or let my kiddos go... I had changed me dramatically though... my OLW for this year was "intentional" and I made me realize I haven't been at all this year... so now I am working diligently to do that... love my neighbors, actually meet them and be available for anything... I wish I could be in CT for those families, and I can't... but I can be there for my own neighbors
Old 12-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Hugs to everyone, I see I am not the alone in how hard this has stuck me. I think the holiday season has us more open to emotions good and bad as well. I have had trouble sleeping, and feel a little on edge when my kids are not home
Old 12-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I watched the news briefly on Friday when I started hearing about it on Facebook. My kids are 8 & 9 and we decided to wait a day or so before saying anything to them. To give the police time to find out actual info and tell the media rather than the 24/7 driven news cycle that needs to report something-anything-who-cares-if-it-turns-out-to-be-wrong stuff we were getting on Friday. It just made me so sick to hear about it & then to watch the media feed on it. I couldn't decide if I was angry or sad, crying about what happened & shouting at the news anchors until it was close to the time the kids came home & i turned off the tv

We don't watch the news regularly & it was unlikely it'd get much coverage on ESPN (unlike the whole Jerry Sanduski thing) so we thought we'd have some time to work it out for ourselves. We were both too shocked to know what to say or how to say it & honestly I didn't want to have that conversation until I was sure I wouldn't cry in the middle of it.

Well, that didn't quite work. Turns out both boys heard all about it from friends while playing Minecraft Friday evening but didn't say anything to us until they heard us talking about what we ought to say to them. They seem to be dealing with it ok. I'm kind of anxious about what will happen when they get home today, what their teachers/friends said, what they now think. They've had a limited exposure until this morning, despite Minecraft.

Seriously, I'd rather have again that incredibly awkward conversation about what Jerry Sanduski did to young boys than try to explain about Sandy Hook.

Last edited by Stacey42; 12-17-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:48 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

It's messed with me. I am grief stricken for those families. I am ill thinking about those children's last moments. I'm proud that the teachers and staff tried to shield the children. And most of all I hope and pray this never happens again. I watched the news a lot on Friday and a while on Saturday. Just trying to understand why this happened. My birthday was Saturday and I was not in the mood to really celebrate. It was hard to care that it was my birthday when I thought of those children that would never have another birthday. I've had tension headaches since Friday.

I'm also in Oregon... so the mall shooting earlier last week was also heavy on my mind.

And to top it all off, I have both a 20 year old son and a 9 year old son. These incidents have made me think about the struggles of people in their 20s. Wondering what makes them snap. I feel blessed to have a happy, smart, balanced 20 year old son. But one thing this all makes me aware of is to take all warning signs seriously. In Oregon, the shooter gave many warning signs that were ignored.

My 9 year old son already knew about the mall shooting in Oregon. It's a mall we've been to countless times and he isn't eager to go back. I'm an online shopper for the most part, so I have no immediate plans to head there anytime soon anyway.

Then with the school shooting... I wasn't sure if I'd tell him. However, he came home on Friday from school already knowing a little about it. The teachers all had told the kids that some kids were hurt at a school and that they would get an extra long recess in memory of the children. I ended up telling him a little about it and we talked about the right way to handle things if you are upset and that guns don't solve the problem. He also saw the President's speech last night. Logan seems to be okay. I doubt he'll think about it until we go to the mall. I don't watch the news about it with him around. I try to not desensitize my child with violent video games, movies too old for him, or the news in it's unfiltered horror.

My mind keeps going back to those children. Those parents struggling with grief. And the families of the adult victims. The sadness is crushing.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As another mom with a kinder and first grader, its got me shaken up. I don't have tv so I only see it online. I watched it too much Friday. Enough to freak me out. I've been avoiding it since and just squeezing my babies closer. I seriously thought of going home early. I sent them off to school very hesitantly this morning.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I am having a hard time. Since Friday I haven't been able to stop watching the news. I am feeling uneasy when I leave the house. I am so heartbroken for the families, the community, everyone in the school and frankly our whole country. Things just shouldn't be like this. I wish I knew what to do to help. I hope all of your children are ok and feeling safe. Kids deserve to feel safe and loved.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I have a first grader and it made me sad and horrified. As far as lingering fear...my kids are much more likely to die in a car accident on the way to school so...I'm not really afraid, just saddened for the families of the babies.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a 6 year old and an 8 year old. It was hard to drop them off at school today, especially since it is my oldest's birthday. I can't think about it too much or it will totally overwhelm me. Every place I go, I think about how easy it would be for something similar to happen -- the post office, the playground at school, Target, etc. No place and no one is immune.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I came here to post about the same thing since I'm really struggling with it. Every time I catch a glimpse of the story, I weep. I can't stop thinking about the kids and their families and wishing that somehow we could just wind back the clock and make it not happen.

I know that this wasn't at my kids' school but I still kind of feel like this WAS at my kids' school. That basically IS my kids' school -- you know what I mean?
Old 12-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcorey View Post
I'm having a hard time with it too. My son is six so maybe that is why it is hitting me so hard. I have also avoided most of the news stories. I am already so upset by it that I know seeing the families talk about it would only make it worse. I have prayed a lot, cried a lot and been very angry about it. Last night we had a Christmas program at church and one of the songs was "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" by Casting Crowns. It was sung complete with a choir of children (one of whom was mine) and I just wanted to sob because the words were so true and I couldn't help but think of those families who won't have their children with them on Christmas Day or any other day.

My husband and son were at the deer lease this weekend so we haven't told him anything about it, nor do I plan to.
That song is the first thing that popped into my head. The funny thing was that I kept thinking of that 3rd verse all night the night before. It's so hard to see such evil acts. And now, I see so much violence in the world and it makes me so incredibly sad. My kids aren't in school yet, so I luckily haven't been able to watch the 24/7 coverage. The thought of those precious little babies having to witness such horror breaks my heart, and as much as my kids drive me crazy on a daily basis, I've been enjoying it as if it's the last time I will be driven crazy by them.

Some people feel guilty moving on with life while so many families are suffering right now, but I almost feel like I need to move on with life, so that those who wish to instill terror in the lives of all of us will never succeed. My kids (3 and 1.5) don't know about it, so I've just been pushing through. I cry every time I see a flag at half mast, and I cry every time I click on a news story. I feel like it's my way of working through this. As the song says "The wrong shall fail the right prevail with peace on earth, good will to men." If I keep doing good, then he didn't quite succeed, right? If I keep praying for those families, he didn't succeed. If I keep Christmas magical for my kids, then he didn't succeed. If I love and serve others, he didn't succeed. I can't do anything personally for those families, but I can do things personally for my community, and then he hasn't succeeded.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm heartbroken and keep thinking about those poor families. I watched way too much news on Friday and parts of Saturday. I was getting so depressed and finally told my husband we weren't watching anymore.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Really sad. I can only handle so much media and honestly there were some other occurrences over the weekend, law enforcement officers killed, shooting at a hospital etc. that just put me over the edge. I shed a lot of tears but I've had to kind of step away. I have a lot of empathy but I have to step back and not let myself get too sucked in to the nastiness of the world. There's a lot of good too, it doesn't get the 24/7 coverage. I also don't want to be so sad/mad/depressed that I can't be present for the things in front of me.

Quote:
As far as lingering fear...my kids are much more likely to die in a car accident on the way to school so...I'm not really afraid, just saddened for the families of the babies.
That's me too.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I have been in tears off and on all wknd. My son is 15 now - but - wow - it hit hard. I quit watching the media yesterday - I just can't handle it - or imagine what the the families that this has impacted - are going through. This will have such a huge , huge, horrible impact on so many people's lives - for the rest of their lives... families of the victims / the teaching staff / police officers/ emergency response/...........

Holly
Old 12-17-2012, 05:09 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I'm another mom of a 6-year old. This whole thing is so heartbreaking. I'm kind of at a loss for words. We have kept it quiet around the house. We really don't want our kids knowing about it, mostly because of my 8-year old. He has the kind of mind where he will obsess about it for days and ask millions and millions of questions trying to understand. There's just no way to explain it and have it make sense. Because it will never make sense.

I'm the kind of person who likes to find out everything about a story. I want to read everything and watch the press conferences, etc. Maybe my son gets that curiosity from me. I don't know. But, I've had to tone it down on this one and stay away from the coverage more than I normally would. I don't want my kids to hear about it, and it just makes me sad.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Im just heartbroken over this and when I heard the news on Friday and picked my babies up from school I immediately started crying. My kids asked what happened so I told them. My kids have not been shielded from death- they know that they both have a brother who died and is in heaven. I wish we didnt have to talk to the kids about bad people in the world but I think we are going our kids a disservice if they are shielded so much that they don't know bad things COULD happen.

We have had the news on here and Im watching Katie right now who is talking with those families who lost their kids. When a parent is grieving over a lost child one of the things that helps the most is to know that people are listening to their story and that they care. I have been so open about losing Colin and it would hurt me deeply if someone told me they didnt want to hear about it. So I feel like Im helping those families out by hearing their stories and letting them talk about their kids. Yes it pains me deeply to see them cry but my pain is NOTHING compared to theirs.

I'm more angry over the insensitivity of people out there who ARE debating gun control and brining politics around right now. For GOD's sake- those children were MURDERED and haven't even been buried yet. There will be a time and a place for the debate BUT NOT NOW. Let that community grieve, let the parents of the children who were murdered grieve and let them bury their child before a national debate ensues.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have to say this is one time that I'm very glad we don't have TV. (We just watch movies occasionally and don't have dish or cable). I haven't been on Facebook as much because it just makes me so sad to hear the different things. I have read about it in the newspaper and I actually found out about it about 10 minutes after the police had been notified due to a good friend of mine being a sports reporter in that area. He had his scanner on and heard about it and texted me all morning with updates I just keep thinking about Cheyanne and all her friends when they were 6/7 and it makes me tear up each time. Also, about an hour before hearing about the shootings, my grandfather passed away Friday morning, so yeah, not a great day all around.

Cheyanne is 12 so she is fully aware of what happened. In fact, one of her teachers (social studies) let them have an open class today to discuss anything about it they wanted to discuss. I've always been open and honest with her but it has always been that way due to how her father died. As she got older she has always asked questions and I decided from the beginning that I would be honest with her and let her talk things through. I always let her direct the discussion and not tell her things she didn't ask about when she was younger whenever she heard something on the radio or at school,etc.

Okay, done rambling now...

Last edited by mariewilcox; 12-17-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The news is all over the newspapers and television here as well. It's so sad. It takes me back to three years ago when something equally horrible happened over here. Some lunatic forced his way into a daycare and stabbed a lot of babies and a couple of nurses with a knife. It happened only 30 minutes from where I live. I was pregnant then and cried for weeks. It was one of the reasons I decided to become a SAHM. I cried again today when I saw the photos of all those 6 year olds. How in the world can people be so cruel? Children are the most innocent creatures in the world.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I generally shut down and avoid the media when these kind of things happen. I always tell people I don't the emotional capacity to handle such things. I have been reading a bit about this and it makes me so sad and I will just start crying. I have two young girls, almost 4 and almost 5 1/2. I don't necessarily worry about this happening to my kids, but in my line of work, I see some pretty horrendous things happen to kids.

I have been having a lot of anxiety today. I'm not if it from this but I had a few panic attacks this morning.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Barrette View Post
I know we try and keep things lighter here, but I have to ask how everyone is holding up after the school shooting?

As a parent of a 6 year old, I am really taking this hard I am taking some time off of all news and social media right now, because each time I see a photo or story I start crying.

* I don't want this become a debate on gun control, mental illness, or politics. Just a place to seek comfort please.
Thank goodness for a place to seek comfort. I work in a K/1 building and this hit very close to home. I am in a kindergarten classroom all day long, and all I can do is imagine this happening in our building. Today as I was opening fruit snacks for kids who can't yet do it themselves, I thought "this is one of our special needs kids (one of MY kids, I'm an LRE aide) at twenty, blowing away children who can't even open their own fruit snacks.

I work with students who have the very same types of disorders the shooter did. I'm not afraid to go to work...I would do anything for my tiny humans, including take a bullet for them if needed--the whole thing just makes me sick to my stomach and so sad I can't stop crying. So I too will stay away from the news, the papers and even Facebook till the there's something else that they'll go on and on about.

Thanks for posting this thread and giving me a chance to speak in an environment free of judgement.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a teacher. I teach 3 to 6 year olds with autism. Our building is -- thankfully -- a locked facility, but that doesn't always mean much. My thinking was less about the loss of lives (because I just can't think about that... just can't) and more about what I'd do.

Bottom line? Twice a day, for three hours at a time, my students are my kids. Just as much as my three biological children, for those three hours, they are in my care and my responsibility is to those children above anything else. Normally this means that any decision I make is for the benefit of the child, but that also means that should there be danger, I will willingly put myself between a child and danger. I won't even think twice. We live in a tornado prone area. If one should happen while we are at school, and my children are unable to keep themselves safe, I will physically lay on top of that child and protect him or her. It goes the same for any situation that is dangerous, and more so because my students will not be able to understand the danger and help keep themselves safe. The parents of my students, whether they like me or not, have to trust me to do this. And as a parent myself, each time I send my children off to school, I have to trust that their teachers would do the same. It's not why I teach, but it's a responsibility I take serious. This tragedy may make me more aware of it, but it's always there.

I'm proud of each of those teachers in that school. God bless them and their families.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Breaks my heart. Keira is 7 & Coop is 4. I didn't even know about it until late Friday when DH got home from work. Haven't been watching the news, makes me cry.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have to say, I'm kind of thankful I was SO busy with errands out of the house on Friday. I only caught tidbits of the story on the radio, and I did cry in the car but told myself to get a grip because the kids were with me. My first thought was : People are sick bastards and WHY OH WHY?? I was also instantly relieved to have my kids home with me, despite being grumbly and ungrateful about homeschooling just that morning.

Then I spent most of the weekend in bed sleeping the flu away. I've tried to stay away from any news or media about it, because I know my weakness... I don't want to fuel the fear I already have about things that COULD happen... things that likely won't happen. I have a vivid imagination and enough nightmares as is. Ugh. I just have to try to walk away from it. I've prayed for the families, and I am holding mine more tightly!!!

Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

My kids are in Middle and High school. Today we received letters from both principals telling us how we should approach our kids about all of it: little to no media, talk with them and be honest if they ask questions, and let them know crisis counseling is available at the school. Otherwise, don't make a big deal about it. They also said the county is reviewing their safety and lock-down procedures. You never thought you'd be at risk being a teacher.

My DD's school had to deal with a violent death of one of their students last year and it really rocked the school community off it's foundation. But they really stepped up to deal with it all.

My kids go to school with a tough population (the kids from the closest thing to the projects that our county has) and the schools really are on top of things in areas such as gangs, substance abuse, domestic violence, etc. Last week DS's school was in lockdown because a kid took a realistic-looking BB gun to school. Stoopid.

Long and short of it - I pray for their safety every day, knowing that they are in God's hands, and that the school, teachers and administrators are doing the best that can possibly be done. I can't worry about it or I'd be a wreck.

But my heart is just broken over what happened. I just can't imagine the grief they are going through right now. They are all in my constant prayers.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I agree with Amber in that talking about their kids helps them. I think losing a child at anytime in anyway is the hardest thing you will ever go through so it always makes me cry when I think about their mom and dad at home. And it makes me really sad that kids that young have to deal with violence like that. Ive had talks with my son about what to do and what not to do but I think in reality being in a situation is a lot different then talking about it and imagining it.

Oh and my son felt sick today and called to be picked up. My husband was stopped at the guard station (he is in high school so they have a guard station) and was asked for ID even though he know who my husband is. He was asked for ID in the office. And when he went to the clinic they asked for ID. Then he had to show ID to leave the school and sign out. So they have defenitely stepped up security here. But then I heard there were some threats going around so that could be why.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by jessica31876; 12-17-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't watched the news at all. Read a few things about it, but I really really try hard to stay away from the emotional sensationalism of it. There are, of course, legitimate things to be discussed, but for me, not in the emotional aftermath. I am not going to tell my 6 year old. He goes to a a small private school and I just don't feel like it's something he needs to know.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

My kids both know... I have a 6 year old too and I can't watch the coverage.. I just cry and cry. J found out at my mom's on Friday, he got on her computer and it was a headline on AOL, he asked her what a massacre was. Abby knows too, but I talked to her about it more than I did J.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest (9) knows what happened. I knew he'd hear about it, and I'd rather it be from us so we could address his fears. He hasn't seen any news coverage, though. I haven't said anything to my younger 2 (a 6 year old with mild autism and a 3 year old). I knew it was going to be too abstract to really affect or worry them, so I decided to wait for now. It will probably come up at some point, most likely from my oldest asking a question about it while they're around.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am just beyond sad. I've watched very little of the coverage because I end up in tears. We had an incident of violence at work on Friday shortly after this happened, which really brought home to me that no one and no where is safe. We all just have to live our lives as best we can and pray that our loved ones come home each day.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've really been trying to avoid it all. I'm with my kids pretty much 24/7, and I try not to watch the news. I had been doing good avoiding thinking about it for the most part, but then tonight Chris and I put on tonights The Voice episode, and the first thing that came up was them singing and holding the name cards of each of the kids and teachers who died. I started bawling. I am very glad none of the kids would have been downstairs when that happened - I haven't told them about it. It is unimaginable to me the pain that those parents are having to go through.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I wanted to share what our H.S. principal sent to the school community. I highly respect her, and she couldn't have worded this any better. I thought that it may be of help.

Quote:
As we all help our children through these next days and weeks, we offer some suggestions for working this through with your child. As kids ask questions, answer them truthfully, but do not dwell on the topic. Please be observant for signs of distress and do not hesitate to seek outside support for your child if needed. Share your feelings about what happened, but be careful not to transfer your anxiety to your child. Regardless of your child’s age, it is vital to avoid too much exposure to media coverage of the event. While we all need to process these tragic occurrences, try to avoid allowing children to overhear you talking with other adults about the tragedy. Children pick up on your anxiety and fear. Also remember that routines are extremely important to children, especially when scary things happen.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a 3 and a 7 yo. My 3 yo isn't in school yet, but my 7 yo is in 2nd grade. He and the kids in his class are about the same ages as the victims in CT. It really makes me a little panicky to send him back to school this week. He was sick yesterday so he stayed home, today is his first day back since it happened. I hate the thought of sending him back this week. I'm glad next week is their holiday vacation! But my son's class has a field trip to a local small museum today, and they aren't accepting any chaperones because they don't need them. Makes me a little uneasy, but I have to remind myself that this museum has good security and you have to walk through metal detectors before entering.

We usually go to the mall or other larger shopping centers once a week or at least 3x a month, but I haven't even considered bringing the kids in the past few days, and I know I won't again for the rest of this month at least. I think with the Christmas rush I probably wouldn't have anyway... but especially not now. I haven't brought them back since the shooting at a mall a week or so ago.

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Last edited by rachaelsscraps; 12-18-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Here are some possible answers for some questions that children might have about what happened from Sojourner's. There's some religious content, but it is very generic.

http://sojo.net/blogs/2012/12/18/fiv...y-hook-tragedy
Old 12-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I ball every time I see a news report and try to avoid them, too. My oldest boy just turned 7 and I also have a 4 year old and a 2 month old. Sandy Hook doesn't seem much different size-wise or community-wise as our own school, although I think they had more funds and better security in their school which makes it even scarier. It was so difficult to send them to school even this week. My husband who is normally a rock in situations also couldn't help crying every time a news story was on. It is such a horrible thing to happen.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Friday I held it together okay. I knew nothing about it until around noon when I first turned on the TV after getting home from work. I work at a 2nd-3rd grade school building. I have a 7 year old 1st grader and a 10 year old 5th grader. They each go to different buildings since our school is divided into attendance centers. I knew they were both safe and I knew the kiddos at my building were safe (I have a 7 year old 2nd grade nephew who goes there) so I tried not to think about it. When I went back in to pick up the kids after school (they ride the bus from their buildings to mine where I get them, my building is the closest to our house and our 'home' school), they had the doors locked and the secretary was a little flustered. Our principal was out of the building on Friday so the secretary was the one handling things and it all hit her really hard so her first instinct was to lock everything down.

Friday evening I told my kids, very briefly, what happened. They understood and seemed okay with the knowledge. I assured them that every on of the teachers and staff members at their school would do everything they could to protect them at all times. They accepted that and we went on.

Saturday it hit me. I cried quite a bit on Saturday just thinking about the terror those babies must have felt, all of them, not just the ones who lost their lives. I think about the terror that those left behind had to endure as well and how their lives have changed forever. It tears me apart just to think about it.

On Monday we went back to school/work. I am one of the first people in the building and I greet the children in the lobby and monitor the buses, etc. in the mornings. The principal arrived early and informed me that the superintendent had emailed her saying there would be a police officer at school in the morning. The officer arrived shortly after. We have had an officer in our lobby or outside of the front of the school every morning and every afternoon this week. According to the two officers I've spoken with, there are indefinite plans to have officers at our schools (all 3 buildings) on a daily basis. It definitely makes me feel a little more comfortable. They aren't there ALL day, but they are there enough to really make their presence known and I think that would serve as a deterrent. The officers are also making several rounds during the day by the school so an observer would probably think twice...

On Monday after school my daughter came home with some of the stories her classmates told her. She had heard about the teacher who put her students in cabinets and closets and told the gunman that they were in the gym. She asked if I would do something like that to protect kids at our school. I told her that no one knows what they would do in a specific situation but that when I was there it was my responsibility to protect those kids to the best of my ability. She was pretty distressed to think I could actually die at work. She was less concerned about her safety at school and was focused more on mine. I, of course, worry more about the kids.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

I have been keeping my thoughts/feelings to myself. It took me awhile to get used to sending my child to daycare and to have such a tragic thing to happen to these babies...I do not like the thought it. I pray for them and their families whenever I think about it.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I thought I was handling it pretty well, and then I had to send Rachel to school on Monday. She knew nothing about it...I didn't think she needed to see that on the TV. But some of the other first graders came in after having watched it all over the news the entire weekend...one went so far as to describe the gunman 'blowing kids heads off'. So of course everyone got very upset, kids were crying, and the teachers had to sit the kids down and talk with them.
Rachel didn't have much to say about it to me, until bedtime Monday. And then it was 'what if...' Hard talk to have with her...I thought the sex talk was going to be the toughie.
Anyway, we got through it, and things were feeling better...and then I picked her up today and found out they had to spend the day on lockdown because there were rumors flying around the high school that one of the students was planning a massacre at Rachel's school on Friday. Police found no evidence...it was a 'he said that he said that he said...' kind of thing. But that's not really helping me feel much better about sending her to school on Friday.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:08 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh Stacy! How terrifying!! I'm so sorry that all of you with school-aged little ones are struggling so much. My older kids are in high school, and the baby is just 10 months. So, I'm thankful that I'm not dealing with scared little ones on top of the other emotions. *HUGS*
Old 12-20-2012, 12:16 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

My son's school practiced their lockdown procedure yesterday and the kids asked lots of questions about what if something like that happened in their school. My son is in 4th grade. He told me that he isn't worried because his teacher is a man and will wrestle with the gunman and take away his gun. I didn't dare argue with him or say how a woman would do the same, because I don't want to take away that fragile reassurance that he has.