Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Recovery done together

So I posted at Me So Scrappy today about evaluating your past spending habits & your scrapping habits in order to be more efficient in your shopping and scrapping. The First Step

I think it'd be fun to continue the conversation, if you were interested, because I'm curious how everyone else's spending/scrapping habits compare to mine.

I did the exercise again today to look in my gallery, and I totally felt justified in buying La's new penguin kit. ; ) I mean, her stuff never makes the "unused kits" folder!

But mostly I use my CT kits, just because I l.o.v.e. with a passion the designers I CT for. I wish I could remember that when it's time to spend money, lol.

What do your habits say to you?
Old 12-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I totally need to do that. I buy almost every new kit put out buy a certain three ladies here, and I have quite a few of those unused, BUT like 80% of my non-CT pages are made with their stuff, so I know they'll get used. But that is no way all that I have...

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her

Last edited by MommaTrish; 12-14-2010 at 12:22 AM. Reason: dumb stupid awkward phrasing.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have been reading your blog post and I am impressed with your restraint on spending! I just tend to buy when I want it. I have no restraint. BUT I will admit that I am not on a tight budget and haven't felt the recession like most. Mainly because I have a VERY financially responsibile (ie. FRUGAL) hubby that got us debt free (minus the house) almost 2 years ago. It is very true what Dave Ramsey says "Live like no one else so you can live like no one else" We were very tight and strict for a couple of years and now we are living the live of less stress. SO, I have an amount of money that I get to spend as I like.....I just happen to like to spend it at SSD!

Anyways.....all of that to say.....I am loving your post and I wish they were around when I was on a much tighter budget! I think that you are opening the eyes of many of us scrappers that may need it opened. In fact, even though I am not restricted on spending.....I still have a lot to learn about having some self control. Thanks for blogging about this!!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Loved the article. I actually haven't purchased much due to financial reasons but I did evaluate my scrapping habits several months ago and I have literally gone from shopping at 5 different stores to 2 stores and I use alot of CT kits. And I almost never not use recent purchases.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I realized a few years ago that I ONLY scrap with SSD stuff and a few extras like alphas from a couple other designers so i stopped shopping anywhere else. Even here, there are designers who I use everything they put out and other girls who have beautiful things that don't fit my "style" very much All that to say, it was freeing to figure that out, but I wouldn't write off other designers that may have made it into my "unused" folder now and then either...
Old 12-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't shop much at all because I don't scrap as much as I used to, I have a ton of kits on my HD already, and I never have any money to spend. Pretty much only buy something when a few bucks happen to land in my Paypal.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I too realized I liked to buy just to buy...I have so many unused kits that it's almost embarrassing that I haven't used them...I don't even want to calculate how much money I've spent and wasted...well not wasted because there is still hope that I will scrap with them...I haven't bought as much in the past few months because of those reasons...
Old 12-14-2010, 12:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My habits changed a lot in the last year. With Andrew out of work and money as tight as it was, I just couldn't shop the way I did before. Now, when I do have money, I go back and pick up those things that I really want and will actually use. And even then, I don't spend nearly as much as I did in the past. I'm really hoping to keep it that way now that Andrew is about to start a new job. I think the fact that I just deleted, without any back up, 20+GB of stuff I never used really put things into perspective too.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:13 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I didn't spend much while I was finishing up my Masters, but since I finished, I've been buying a lot more lately, but I've been making sure to use what I buy before I buy more. I only buy here and from a few designers over at another store.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post
I realized a few years ago that I ONLY scrap with SSD stuff and a few extras like alphas from a couple other designers so i stopped shopping anywhere else. Even here, there are designers who I use everything they put out and other girls who have beautiful things that don't fit my "style" very much All that to say, it was freeing to figure that out, but I wouldn't write off other designers that may have made it into my "unused" folder now and then either...
this is me...almost exactly.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
But mostly I use my CT kits, just because I l.o.v.e. with a passion the designers I CT for. I wish I could remember that when it's time to spend money, lol.
Kellie, if I CT-ed for Zoe, Dani and Cindy, there'd be NO need to buy anything else! What fun it must be to work with those fab products week after week!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

this is great. i have started being wiser about what i buy, mostly because i dont have a lot of free cash floating around like i used to. so when i buy kits and things, i make sure i know i'm going to use it. and i do have my favorite designers that never fail to inspire me, and i seem to obviously purchase from them the most. i dont really feel guilty anymore because i know now that whatever i buy i use. my problem is that i feel like i need to try to reuse kits. most kits i use once and never use again. i feel like it is a waste, like i need to use them atleast twice lol.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I'm getting ready to do the first part of the assignment. Clearly, I know I have been spending too much because I'm dreading adding up those numbers
Old 12-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Kellie, I totally love this series you are doing!!

I rarely spend money on digi-scrapping anymore. A while ago I figured out that I was just collecting kits from designers. I LOVED them, and they were fabulous, but I couldn't make them work with my style. Such. A. Waste!! Now with my babe position, forget it. I have everything I could ever need right here
Old 12-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post

I rarely spend money on digi-scrapping anymore. A while ago I figured out that I was just collecting kits from designers. I LOVED them, and they were fabulous, but I couldn't make them work with my style. Such. A. Waste!! Now with my babe position, forget it. I have everything I could ever need right here
Take being a babe away and this is so me, although I do CT for the most awesome ladies ever!! I do have a few more designers that I love and I buy from them sometimes but I have cut down alot since I first started scrapping in Feb 09, I deleted 14GB of stuff the other day and half of it wasn't ever used
Old 12-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Traci, I totally completely agree with you. I'm not against fun out of the box kind of purchases, but in general I think they should be kept to a minimum. I'm not even as much against spending money as I am against waste.

The flip side is that we're not plugging money into some big rich corporation; we're supporting people we know and love who make a living creating products we love. So that's definitely something to think about too.

But that's not what I'm blogging about, lol, just something I think about.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Great post Kellie...but I refuse to look at my digi habits. LOL I am a bit of a shopoholic, but I am over all happy with my purchases. Are there lots of unused kits on my HD? Hells yes. But if you just stick to what you know, you can miss out on something you might love.

There was once a time when I was intimidated by La's amazing doodly goodness, but I bought a kit on a whim and now there isn't a kit of hers that I can't scrap with! I think it is about finding balance. Find your style, and mostly buy from designers in that style and buys kits that you know you will use, but step of the box and challenge yourself to scrap with something different as well. It can help you evolve and grow as an artist.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Awesome post Kellie!

I realized the error of my ways when I got a new computer and was too lazy to move all my un-used kits over to my new one. Clearly there was nothing calling me to use them, LOL!!

There's a particular style I love and a particular designer whose kits basically fly onto my PS as a layout I love So I end up re-using kits from where I CT over and over again. Occasionally I will step out and buy a few new things, but mostly just alphas and embellishments like stitch packs and word art.

Realizing my style and sticking to it has drastically reduced my wasted spending.

Well, let me re-phrase that...the money still left my PayPal, but it went to a new camera lens instead of excess kits!

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rbeckie View Post
There's a particular style I love and a particular designer whose kits basically fly onto my PS as a layout I love So I end up re-using kits from where I CT over and over again.
lol Ditto.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 12-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Such a great post, Kellie!

I've spent more than I'd like to admit on kits here, but I do use them all. And it helps a lot that I get to CT for some of my absolute faves! But since I've quit my job to be home with my kids, we've lost 1/2 our income and some things need to go. Or at least be cut, drastically. So my scrap budget is basically nothing right now. If I can find a few bucks here or there, I might buy something. But I literally have nothing in my Paypal right now - and 57 cents in my "fun money" bank account. So the next time I want to use a "new" kit, I'll be shopping on my hard drive!

After all, one of the reasons that drew me to digi was that I could reuse kits over and over. I don't often do that, but I should, right?

Kara
Old 12-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I loved your post. Such thoughtful advice. I am new to digiscrapping and SSD. I don't have a ton of stuff, yet. What works for me so far is to earn the 40% sweet rewards coupon doing the portfolio and then only shop with that once a month. I can get a lot more for less but I am also forced to look and not buy the rest of the month. In fact this is my shopping week, yippee!!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post

Same here, except I do have a handful that I do scrap with (when I'm not working insane hours LOL) that I do buy from.

I most certainly don't buy nearly the amount I used to. I buy at most 1-2 kits a month elsewhere and usually not even that much any more.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Well written (and funny) article, Kel.

I was horrible abt keeping to a scrap budget until the last 12-18 months. If I saw something, I'd buy it and really go crazy over NSD and DSD weekends. Instead of buying new clothes, shoes, etc. it was digi stuff. I don't think I knew what my style was then. While I hope that I am still evolving as an artist, I definitely have a more defined style now and know better than to buy a kit, despite how pretty it may be, if it is not my style. I rarely have time to scrap outside of CTing, so my list of designers I buy from now is very small and they know they have my scrappin' heart forever and ever (like La ). I think I've spent $25-$30 on digi stuff since September, and most of that was over DSD weekend.

I will only buy from certain well established 'big name' stores, so that helps, and CTing for a store is helpful, too, as guests from other sites come and go so I can try a new-to-me designer at no cost and then buy from them at their own site when their guest spot is over if I really liked their work.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Good blog post, Kellie. We've talked about this a lot - and yes, I am always quick to point out that you get goodies from Zoe, and Dani, and Cindy (and other I'm sure!) but there is more to it than that and I know that you really are more about not wasting than not spending. Kellie always asks me - have you used the stuff you bought on black friday (nsd, whatever big sale) yet? And when I hedge my answer I know that I probably spent too much.

I think there are really 2 issues to consider -

***the purchases we make that we never use cause they really aren't our style, or they really aren't all that great or we just don't feel the love

***the purchases we don't use that we really DO actually love but for whatever reason don't get around to using for weeks or months or ever

My goal is to cute the former and actually use the latter.

In the first instance I've stopped buying those. I don't do dollar deals, I don't get newsletters from very many people at all, and I don't go window shop just to see what's out there. And when all the amazing christmas kits come out I go look at how many CT christmas kits I have to work with and factor that into my thoughts before I snatch up every kit that appeals to me (that has cut down my spending quite a bit).

In the second instance I ask myself - why aren't you using these? You love them, they fit your style, they speak to you....what gives? And typically the answer is that I'm getting too bogged down with facebook games or spending time web surfing and piddling during the precious few hours that I could be scrapping. I don't want to waste my time any more than I want to waste my dollars.

So anyway....my thoughts. Which took a good 10 minutes out of my scrap time you know.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Sometimes I wonder if all digi files were actual physical items that we had to store in our homes, would we be pickier about how much we buy?

I have always been really good about staying within a budget and keeping track of what I spent using Excel and/or Paypal. But I definitely fell into the trap when I first started scrapbooking of buying kits that were trendy at that moment or that were featured in layouts that I loved. It got to a point where I had to ask myself - do I really love this kit or do I just love this layout? Just because I loved what others did with a kit didn't mean that kit would be a good fit for me.

About a year ago I made the decision to stop buying kits all together. I just found that with being a Babe here, I never used any of the kits I purchased because I would always choose an amazing kit from here first. I do still buy some element packs or alphas but even then only really from one or two other stores that I really love and only items that I can combine with my CT kits.

I also set up a ScrapNews filter in Gmail so now all email newsletters (except the one from my most favorite store) don't even make it into my email inbox - they go directly into a separate folder. I'm sure designers don't like the idea of that, haha, but I found it's made a huge difference for me to not be tempted by all the goodies. It does mean I miss out on a lot of coupons or sales but I decided that I'd rather pay a few extra dollars to buy something I really love at full price than to buy a bunch of items I only kind of liked just because they were on sale. It seems to be really working for me.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
Sometimes I wonder if all digi files were actual physical items that we had to store in our homes, would we be pickier about how much we buy?
This sparked a question in my mind - I wonder if digi files were physical, would we all be so opposed to using them more than once? I know, I know, now 527 will post that they use every kit they buy 3 times (at least!) but ok, if so, I'm not talking to you. A lot of us use our kits only once but I know in the paper scrapping world it wasn't so much like that. I remember there, that the new releases only came 2-3 times a year so you'd see people using product more than once and trying to find new ways to use some of those same papers or embellishments. Do we keep buying because digital seems more disposable or are we only using once cause we need to work through our stash?

That being said, I just have to comment, I always feel it's a bit awkward to post about how we should all buy less or how we don't really buy much of anything anymore on a *store* board, lol. I have a mental picture of all the designers clutching their hearts saying nooooooooooooo, noooooooooo!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
In the second instance I ask myself - why aren't you using these? You love them, they fit your style, they speak to you....what gives? And typically the answer is that I'm getting too bogged down with facebook games or spending time web surfing and piddling during the precious few hours that I could be scrapping. I don't want to waste my time any more than I want to waste my dollars.
Or because you're busy homeschooling and cooking and dressing up those sweet baby girls like baby dolls?

Quote:
That being said, I just have to comment, I always feel it's a bit awkward to post about how we should all buy less or how we don't really buy much of anything anymore on a *store* board.
This is an excellent point. But does it count that I think people SHOULD keep spending their money here? I'm going to have a blog post about that in my series. SSD is where you get the most bang for your buck for sure!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
I also set up a ScrapNews filter in Gmail so now all email newsletters (except the one from my most favorite store) don't even make it into my email inbox - they go directly into a separate folder. I'm sure designers don't like the idea of that, haha, but I found it's made a huge difference for me to not be tempted by all the goodies. It does mean I miss out on a lot of coupons or sales but I decided that I'd rather pay a few extra dollars to buy something I really love at full price than to buy a bunch of items I only kind of liked just because they were on sale. It seems to be really working for me.
I actually unsubscribed from most newsletters for that reason. Paula and I were the leaders in money spent just at SSD alone when we calculated it last Fall (remember that Paula? hahah!). But I was still buying all over the place, at all the stores, because I just wanted everything...but I spent so much money on kits,that even to this day, I haven't used. I deleted some, moved some to my EHD, but if I haven't used them I probably won't, with all the new, cool stuff that comes out every day.

I also barely have time to do my CT stuff these days, never mind anything extra!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I bought that penguin kit.

And I have used it.

So there.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think you're right, E. It's very 'out of mind, out of sight' with digi.

So easy to justify 'one more' kit when it takes up invisible space on an EHD you already own rather than if you had to stuff those papers or embellishments into a tangible dresser drawer already full to bursting with other papers and embellishments. At some point, you'd be forced to quit buying just because you would no longer have space to house it all, but digi's best and worst attribute is that it takes up so little space -- literally and mentally.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I think you're right, E. It's very 'out of mind, out of sight' with digi.

So easy to justify 'one more' kit when it takes up invisible space on an EHD you already own rather than if you had to stuff those papers or embellishments into a tangible dresser drawer already full to bursting with other papers and embellishments. At some point, you'd be forced to quit buying just because you would no longer have space to house it all, but digi's best and worst attribute is that it takes up so little space -- literally and mentally.
I totally agree with this. If I've got 8 unused kits in a folder on a computer, I'm not going to think twice about it. But if I had that same number of papers and elements in physical form sitting on my desk it would be much harder to ignore. And if I decide to get rid of a paper product, there's a lot more action involved in getting rid of it than just sending a digi item to the trash on my computer desktop. I don't think that necessarily makes digi disposable but I do think it doesn't create the same visceral reaction that a physical item would.

Quote:
That being said, I just have to comment, I always feel it's a bit awkward to post about how we should all buy less or how we don't really buy much of anything anymore on a *store* board, lol. I have a mental picture of all the designers clutching their hearts saying nooooooooooooo, noooooooooo!
LOL! You do have a point, although I think the majority of us who've said we no longer buy a lot of product are also on amazing teams here. So perhaps it's the designers at other stores that should be worried. I know that if I ever stopped being a Babe, I would be spending all my scrap money here.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My problem is that I love to have a large array of kits to chose from when I scrap. So I buy without knowing exactly how I will use the kit, but I'm pretty sure that it will get used sometime.

I also buy from other stores, but I wishlist alot when stuff comes out and then wait for a big sale. That way, I'm pretty sure of what I want to buy.

But still, I have spent money on many kits that are stored on an EHD and that will never be used because they are just no my style (fantasy, etc). That was a couple of years ago, now I know better, even though I still spend to much. lol

I've never paper scrapped because of the space thing. It was a complete turn off for me, I'm not a majorly organized person, so there would be stuff everywhere. Ironically, the unused kits on my hard drive don't bother me and everything is sorted and neat, which is really weird for me. lol!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

When I first started scrapping in 2006, I bought nothing for like 2 years. I didn't have the money, I had great creative teams and the digi world was different then. Then I started to get a tiny bit of money and would buy during the BIG sales for a while. Then I actually got money and went wild for a bit, buying anything that slightly appealed to me. I am a cheapskate though and quickly realized this was not for me. So quite some time ago, over a year, I stopped buying any where except SSD. I use the kits I buy from here so I don't worry. And I keep myself on a budget and only buy during Sweet Rewards and when there is a free with purchase kit sale. For instance, this week at Sweet Rewards I only wanted to spend $25, my kit was at $30, yes, I could afford that extra $5, but it was above my budget, so I put something back.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've had a $30/month scrapping budget for the last few years. It's kind of arbitrary-I suppose I could afford to spend more, but that amount works for me. It allows me to have fun shopping and buy anything I really like, but it also forces me to show restraint and not buy things I don't use. I checked my PP and have been going over by about 1 kit a month. Not great, but I really am using everything I'm buying and going back to kits again. People are right, though-if this was physical product that had to live in my house, I'd be buying less and reusing more. I'd also have to cut back if I had more CT positions. As much as I love my 1 CT, with 2 new releases most months I have plenty of opportunities to scrap with my purchased stash.

One of the things that I credit with simplifying my spending is the SSD challenge system that has been in place for the last year. Most of my scrapping is for the Portfolios or my (non-SSD) CT gig. I've mostly stopped shopping at other stores because I wouldn't be using the things I bought there. The little bit of non-SSD shopping I do is mostly for templates or element packs that I can use with my SSD stash. Even at SSD, there are a handful of designers that I buy from and use all the time, and the others I buy from only when they have something I love. My spending would go way down if I ever got on Julie, Kristin, or Allie's teams, but that probably won't be happening
Old 12-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I know that if I ever stopped being a Babe, I would be spending all my scrap money here.
Yes, this!
Old 12-15-2010, 12:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I initially just did freebies when I first started then I discovered SSD now I spend probably $50 a month or so depending on exchange rates

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 12-15-2010, 03:09 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

ok...great post and I did the 1st part and actually was surprised that since Sept 1st, I have only spent $167.00 {roughly here} whic is roughly $42 a month and I can live with that I only shop HERE so that is where my money goes....unless I see a great kit for charity {even if I may not use it} sometimes I spend the money, but other than that...NADA also the fact that i have some AWESOME CT's also helps and I like the point where you said go look in your gallery and see if you LOVE those LO's....and I think lately I have really loved all my LO"s, there are a few I may re-do, but only a little bit....but I also make an effort to go through my unused folder kit 1st and then I head to some of my favorite designers and find something...lucky for me I have kids that range from 17-3 and can scrap with just about any kit! And I am one of those people {inspired by Vanessa } to try to scrap 2 page LO's! Last year I think I scrapped like 20 pages from Traci's Family Night kit for a Vegas trip!About 2 weeks ago, I just went and dumped 16GB's of stuff I KNEW I would never use {freebies and a few old CT kits that I knew I would never re-use} and that felt good~~~

THNKAS For the post Kellie!
Old 12-15-2010, 03:30 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Loved this thread, will have to go check out your blog Kel!
I've only bought a handful of things the 6 months as I've slowly come to the conclusion that I'd rather spend the full amount of money and buy the kits I can and will use RIGHT NOW as opposed to "saving" by buying pretty maybe kits while they're cheap
Old 12-15-2010, 05:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
Loved this thread, will have to go check out your blog Kel!
I've only bought a handful of things the 6 months as I've slowly come to the conclusion that I'd rather spend the full amount of money and buy the kits I can and will use RIGHT NOW as opposed to "saving" by buying pretty maybe kits while they're cheap
Haha, you hit the spot. Most "sales" are actually meant to make us spend more. I'm perfectly aware of it, but I tend to fall for as it's fun. Talk to me about shopaholic.

I seem to be hopeless when it comes to kits - my style has changes every couple of months, and each time I got too many kits I can ever use in THAT style, so my stash could last me a lifetime.

Still, I see some positive point in NOT using my SR this time, but seeing it's just 2 weeks after Black Friday, it's not SUCH an achievement. Right.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My husband gives me a $25 a month budget for scrapbook kits unless a good sale comes up then he may let me spend more. Since I have a small budget I am picky about what I buy. Then my husband also added the rule that I have to use everything I buy before I can make another purchase (which has actually motivated me to scrap more and use my stash).

Around my birthday I got a $100 visa gift card from my grandma and I spent every dime here. I went crazy. Sadly I ended up buying kits on a whim and didn't think it through. I used the kit once (so I could spend some more in September) but I used it only because I had to. I opened it and was like "ooo why did I buy this again?". But I have learned from my mistake and even if I have more then my small budget I only buy kits that I know I will use at least twice.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Red face

Quote:

I have always been really good about staying within a budget and keeping track of what I spent using Excel and/or Paypal. But I definitely fell into the trap when I first started scrapbooking of buying kits that were trendy at that moment or that were featured in layouts that I loved. It got to a point where I had to ask myself - do I really love this kit or do I just love this layout? Just because I loved what others did with a kit didn't mean that kit would be a good fit for me.

I cut out the paragraph about CT kits, but otherwise, this is me verbatim!

I have definitely cut waaaay back on the $$ I spend, but even with that I just don't have very much willpower when it comes to most SSD stuff.

My Blog: Quantum Leaps
Old 01-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

LOVE your posts, Kellie!

Well, I've got to say I've been doing major inventory of kits, etc over here. I HAD about 200 disks (3/4 of them being CDs) of scrapping stuff...and then there are the disks of photos, etc. LOL if I decide to do a CD album or any other craft requiring disks...I'm all set!
Since DH got me a 1 TB EHD for Christmas, I sat at my desk alot this week loading those disks...looking at what was on them...and tossing about 2/3 of what I had. I'm currently burning copies of what I'm keeping to DVD...
but it feels SOOOO good to get rid of stuff I will never (and for the most part, never did) use.

I've organized what I'm keeping on the EHD into folders (autumn, beach, birthday, etc...although SSD has its own folder). Apparently, I have a weakness for autumn, patriotic, and princess kits...who knew? LOL.

I don't think the sorting will change my spending habits...I'm on a budget because our entire life is on a budget LOL...$25 is pretty much my monthly limit, and I only shop during SRs or sales.

The sorting HAS given me a goal though...to scrap with my unused stash (which is usually 2 oe 3 kits max)...that's always a goal, and I'm usually pretty good about it, but I was gifted some great stuff from the designers I CT for, and so at the moment...well...I definitely need to get scrapping!

Last edited by pewtertm; 01-08-2011 at 07:56 PM.