Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2011, 05:30 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm
Default GGG - How do you choose?

This is the fist time there hs been a GGG sale where I've not had to limit myself budget wise. Previously I've only bought kits that I had on my wishlist. So now I'm faced with the "what if I don't get it now and need it later" situation leading to me either going completly crazy and spending a fortune or buying kits that I may never use because they are there.

How do you deal with GGG?
Old 08-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I go through initially and just put what grabs my eye into my cart and see how much it all adds up to. Then I go through my cart and really ask myself if I'd use it, what for, etc. I have to set a dollar amount, even if I don't really "HAVE" to, just to control myself. It takes me a bit to settle on my final cart!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 08-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

On my first ggg I spent a fortune and still have some unused kits on my ehd now, around a year later! This time I'm only buying if I know I'll use it, I'm getting better at doing that now!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

ggg is such a bittersweet time for me. it literally takes me DAYS to go through. it's like...the retiring kits are one of my kids or something LOL

memmmmoriiiiiessss...like the corners of my mind.......

Old 08-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I do the same thing as Sara.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

And really - if you miss something, is it the end of the world? Take some time to go through the store, then come back a few days later and either look again or edit your cart. Buy only what you think you will really use..not just in case. While we greatly appreciate our sales, none of us want you guys buying stuff just 'cause.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
And really - if you miss something, is it the end of the world? Take some time to go through the store, then come back a few days later and either look again or edit your cart. Buy only what you think you will really use..not just in case. While we greatly appreciate our sales, none of us want you guys buying stuff just 'cause.
This. We all have enough kits if you think about it, and while a sale is always cool, never lose your head and just buy things because they're being retired. You will find you won't miss them, it's just a feeling - and the point of any sale is to create the feeling.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I throw everything I want at first glance into the cart.

I go "Oh. My. Gosh."

I take out anything that I initially think I could live without.

I go "Oh. My. Gosh." again after looking at the total.

I take out things that I think I might have enough other kits in the same theme, interest, whatever.

I still freak out over the total.

I just keep getting rid of things one at a time until the total is where I need it.

(This time, I have a job starting in a few weeks and my bank account still looks good.... so I'm buying most of what I want. I'm still limiting myself to $60-- usually my limit is $15 or 4 products, whichever is more).

ETA: Everyone is right, it's good not to buy kits just because they're retiring. My first sale, I wanted to snatch up EVERYTHING because I'd never get it again. Now I really consider it carefully... do I need 15 calendar templates when I didn't even make a calendar last year? Probably not... but I do need certain templates to help me accomplish certain layouts... so I should probably focus my energies on templates I'll USE. I don't need every Christmas kit in the shoppe, so I need to only buy ones I've had my eye on for ages.

New Siggy Coming Soon

Last edited by Jengerbread88; 08-20-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I do what Jenni does, so I've been "oh my goshing" a lot this morning. Three hours in, I've now gone through GGG and Penny Candy, but will be closely examining it again later when the "rush" has gone down. I feel like one of those Extreme Couponers. Good luck!
Old 08-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
memmmmoriiiiiessss...like the corners of my mind.......
you either got too much sleep.. or not enough last night LOL!
Old 08-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Even though Penny Candy is on a HUGE sale right now, I'm not letting myself get anything from it... I tell myself that Penny Candy will still be there when the sale ends, but GGG won't, so I'm focusing my money on that. If nothing else, I can always get the Penny Candy I like when IT hits GGG if I haven't gotten it sooner.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 08-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am getting only Penny Candy I know I can use right away. Doesn't mean I WILL, but at least I CAN!

This time is much better because I know I have 2 boys (last sale was right before we found out the gender of baby #2) so I know I can focus on boy kits!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 08-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm still going through my wishlist - but so far everything has been in the GGG, I think we will be eating beans and rice for the next 2 weeks :-)

Old 08-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

I'm going into hour 3 of looking through the sale, adding to WL, adding to cart, remove from cart, add to WL and on and on. I just better face the fact that I'ma need to set up camp for a while...
Old 08-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I also bare in mind that most themes and colour pallette resurface so if I miss something... then... oh well.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

i told myself 2 GGG and 2 new releases LOL im pretty sure ill be back for more GGG next week LOL
Old 08-20-2011, 02:22 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

All I can say is that I was kidding myself if I thought I was going to get any work done around the house today. I take the GGG sale very seriously, lol!
Old 08-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

youll have to enable ME this time Davita LOL
Old 08-20-2011, 11:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Maybe it's because I've been digiscrapping so long (7 years) and have a good feel for what I'll really use and how much is not leaving the store, but GGG doesn't phase me. By the time things end up in GGG, I've been eyeing them through multiple sales and rounds of SR. If I haven't bought them before they make it to GGG, I probably don't really need them.

So I take a quick look through for anything that I have a new use for (ie, like getting a dancing kit because I just signed DD up for her 1st dance class) or anything that's been on my wishlist that I would regret missing out on (usually only 1-2 things). No matter what theme or color scheme a GGG kit is, chances are good there's something newer in the store with the same theme or color scheme and you'll be able to get it when you need it instead of stocking up now just in case.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Maybe it's because I've been digiscrapping so long (7 years) and have a good feel for what I'll really use and how much is not leaving the store, but GGG doesn't phase me.
I haven't been digiscrapping as long as you have, but I think I showed some serious restraint today with this sale.

I bought Traci and Nettio's new template release (totally awesome, PLEASE do more collaborations, you two!) Other than that, I bought Susan Bartolini's "Autobiography" (from GGG) and I bought Misty Cato's Brag Book templates (from Penny Candy). I have one other kit that I may buy next week from Penny Candy, but if I don't, I'm sure I'll buy it eventually.

I had a pretty big wish list and wouldn't you know it, NONE of the kits in my wish list were in GGG and I don't think any of them were in PC either. But what I love about digiscrapping is that it seems like an amazing new kit or five comes out just about every week. If I miss something, something even better by the same designer is bound to come along. I have no doubt that every one of the designers here has got some amazing stuff planned for the fall.

All that being said, if I had a bigger budget, there's a lot more that I would buy.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Color scheme is where I have a lot of trouble limiting myself.

For example, I've fallen in love with Traci's "Make Lemonade" which has lovely blues and yellows. I love it, and it works for SO many different kinds of layouts, that I now want to buy Savannah Flea Market and Delightful because they are the same shades, and I can use them to stretch that kit further when working on an album.

I find myself frequently looking for kits in color schemes I love because they mesh well together... That's what REALLY gets me at GGG. Theme-wise doesn't bother me because so many kits come out with the same general themes (back to school, pregnancy, Christmas...). SOME themes I really am drawn to, though- themes that aren't done much. Like Traci's toddler kit... that's big for me because there aren't many toddler kits.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 08-21-2011, 02:58 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I actually have alot of templates in my cart right now but I did find a few KCB kits that I wanted and a couple of XMAS kits...I will probably weed through again and narrow it down some more...but I can't resist janet's school days template album so that will be one for sure! I actually don't NEED anything, but I would like to treat myself to a few of the kits that I really really want!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I Initially go through my wishlist and add anything that was in GGG or PC to my cart there the ones that I have been eyeing for months! Then I go through all the GGG stuff and add anything that catches my eye to my cart, I just keep adding and adding until I've got through all the GGG and Penny Candy. Then I look at the total and sa OK so you need to get rid of x amount and look through everything critically as in would I use it? have i got anything else like it? Am I being overcome by the "Its Great Deal Complex" or would I actually have bought it if it wasnt on sale? I had to set a budget otherwise I would have bought everythign just cause it was on sale..... x
Old 08-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

After not shopping or scrapping for months- I stocked up with tons of new stuff! Probably about $60 (after 2 trips) but I won't have to shop again for a LONG time either- and since I'm cheap and never spend money on myself, I think it's ok.

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!