Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2014, 12:35 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm
Default vaccinate. just vaccinate. please.

i know it's a hot button topic...... but i'm seriously frustrated right now for my poor brother (and hey, maybe me in two weeks time, we'll see! )

There's a huge outbreak of measles going on (especially in NY -where he just moved a month or two ago- and california where he travels frequently for work), I think whooping cough in those areas too.

Please vaccinate your babies and kids.. stop the increase of these diseases and stop the spread. 98% sure my brother has measles (cdc contacted, running the blood work right now, it's either standard measles, or german measles.. don't know yet) and of course he was home and exposed all of us to it too. We both had the vaccine as kids, but clearly he's special (and we all know how fabulous my immune system is.. so i'm holding my breathe here hoping I didn't inhale any of his infectedness).

Just do it.. delay them, stagger them, whatever it is you want to do.. but do them. :[ no ones babies should have to suffer with these diseases, and no ones baby (nearly 30 year old whiney) brother either.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

AMEN!!
Old 04-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Ahhhh! Crazy making La! I'm hoping for the best for you!

<3 Shawna on Taptalk

Old 04-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh goodness. Prayers for your brother.

I have a sister-in-law who doesn't want to vaccinate. She's pregnant. I think (?) they think I'm joking but her children will NOT be around any future babies I have before they are old enough to be vaccinated for whooping cough.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh my goodness. I hope your brother is okay!!
Old 04-28-2014, 03:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, no! I hope he's feeling better soon and that you don't catch it. I know a lot of people who only partially vaccinate; I'm surprised we haven't heard about more outbreaks in the DC area.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2014, 04:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is definitely controversial and I do not know enough about why people choose not to do it, but I could never choose to not do it for my kids. They things they could catch and suffer from are horrendous. I am so sorry for your brother, La. Hopefully he will not have it to badly if it measles.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh, gosh, I hope he's ok. It's scary.

I vaccinate and do not understand the other side, I am happy to hear that pro-vaccinators are finally starting to speak out after many years of not hearing that side.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hope you don't get them La and I hope your brother doesn't suffer too long! I vaccinated both my kids for everything. I can still remember my mother having mumps and my grandfather went nearly blind from German measles when he was just 20 or so and it changed his life forever.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh La, I sure hope he's on the mend soon and you're free and clear.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hope you won't get infected, La!

I had measles when I was very little, and chickenpox when I was a kid. I hope my body knows how to fight them if I ever get infected again. I think I had vaccin / shots for those too in school. We get so many vaccines / shots in school that I lost track of what they're for.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:09 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I have a sister who doesn't vaccinate, and her kids all got whooping cough several years back . . . even her little baby. It was scary, and even after going through that, we couldn't talk her into vaccinating. I don't really understand all her reasons, but she says she has them. :/

Hope you stay healthy, La.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:18 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post
I have a sister who doesn't vaccinate, and her kids all got whooping cough several years back . . . even her little baby. It was scary, and even after going through that, we couldn't talk her into vaccinating. I don't really understand all her reasons, but she says she has them. :/

:[ poor babies.. whooping cough is so sad to see. Neither my brother or I were fully vaccinated for pertussis... but there were medical reasons ( i had a severe severe reaction to the first dose and since my brothers asthma/allergies were so extreme at that point our pedi decided it was safer not to vax him for it either). It's scary, we were lucky that we were never exposed to it as little ones :[ We were vax'd for everything else.. even the chicken pox that we still both managed to get severe cases of hah. at least chicken pox are no big deal
Old 04-28-2014, 05:22 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
I hope you don't get them La and I hope your brother doesn't suffer too long! I vaccinated both my kids for everything. I can still remember my mother having mumps and my grandfather went nearly blind from German measles when he was just 20 or so and it changed his life forever.
thankfully both of my parents had measles as kids so him staying there all weekend shouldn't be a problem for them. pretty sure we inherited our terrible immune systems from dad, so I would have hated seeing what measles did to him at this age (ok he's not that old.. LOL. but he's still my dad, so he feels old to me lol)
Old 04-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post

Oh that is so scary. There has been a couple babies die in Oklahoma from whopping cough the last couple of years. It bothers me so very much.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:24 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Amen. Anti vaxxers really scare me. And when Hadley was a baby I was terrified of him getting whooping cough through unvaccinated kids.

Megs xxx
{Using Tapatalk}
Old 04-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

*cough*
Actually a baby is more likely to get whooping cough from an adult than from another child.... and really it's not just vaccinate your kids, EVERYONE of ALL ages are supposed to regularly get their vaccinations redone to completely eradicate diseases.

and that's all I have to add to this.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 04-28-2014, 08:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I agree with Trish, there are lots of vaccinations that require periodic boosters throughout adulthood.

Lauren, I hope your brother makes a speedy recovery and you aren't affected. Can you take anti-virals as a precautionary measure?

Last edited by SeattleSheri; 04-29-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:56 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I agree with Trish, there are lost of vaccinations that require periodic boosters throughout adulthood.

Lauren, I hope your brother makes a speedy recovery and you aren't affected. Can you take anti-vitals as a precautionary measure?
ribavirin would mess with my coumadin, it would interact pretty much the same as antibiotics which isn't awesome (last time I took abx it pretty much doubled my INR to dangerous level in just two days) but we'd just adjust my meds around it every few days... it makes me sick but it might be worth it. once we get a 100% confirmation (tomorrow) on which strain he has I'll be putting a call into my doctor to find out what they think I should do...
Old 04-28-2014, 10:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It is important that those of us who can vaccinate do. That helps protects those who legitimately can't vaccinate!

I had my measles booster redone in college. And I've travelled overseas to 3rd world countries so I've kept my vaccines up to date.

Now that we are in a rural area, when I enrolled my kid in the school out here (it's small) they said he was the ONLY one fully vaccinated. SCARY.

Most people think chicken pox is a no brainer, but chicken pox can go sour and when it does, it's bad.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
ribavirin would mess with my coumadin, it would interact pretty much the same as antibiotics which isn't awesome (last time I took abx it pretty much doubled my INR to dangerous level in just two days) but we'd just adjust my meds around it every few days... it makes me sick but it might be worth it. once we get a 100% confirmation (tomorrow) on which strain he has I'll be putting a call into my doctor to find out what they think I should do...
So sorry you are going through all this. Hope you get some good answers from the doc.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:36 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

The only vaccine my kids didn't get was the norovirus vaccine. And we've skipped the flu vaccine the last 2 years also. But I am all for vaccinating!!! I think some people don't do it because it's trendy not to... Not because they actually have a good reason for it. Scary stuff.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flergs View Post
Amen. Anti vaxxers really scare me.
This. Scary, dangerous and not seeing the big picture.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm all for vaccination. Here vaccines are free and our government even pays us if we get our kids vaccinated. Yet a number of parents refuse to do it - studies have shown that they are typically in 'trendy' and affluent postcodes. Anyway, hope you stay measles free!
Old 04-29-2014, 05:59 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I have a European friend who just had her first baby here in the states and she went on and on for weeks about how unfair it was and how she didnt want him to get the shots... The day before she finally agreed and got the vaccinations, thank goodness! I couldn't believe it!

On a positive note even my sister got a whooping cough booster when my baby was born in November! Yay! How kind and respectful was that?!!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2014, 06:08 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I don't understand the anti-vaccine either! Reading this, I'm glad my boy is all vaccinated!
I hope he gets better soon and that you won't catch it, La!
Old 04-29-2014, 06:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm all for vaccinations, right down to my annual flu shot. It definitely seems like more people are choosing not to vaccinate than 20+ years ago & there is way more debate about it especially on social media now

Sent from my GT-S5300 using Tapatalk 2

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 04-29-2014, 10:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I dragged my kids vaxes out because both sides of our families have various allergies & sensitivities & if the boys were going to react to something I wanted to know exactly what it was. 4 different shots at the same time would not tell me that, so they had one vax, back a month later, another vax, etc. Fortunately the family practice we attend offers both a 'regular' vax timetable, and two different extended vax options. Apparently this approach works well in our area for getting people inclined to be anti-vax to get the vaxes & nearly 90% of the kids in the boys' school are fully vaxed.

Didn't stop some of them from coming down with whooping cough a couple years ago but it could have been much much worse.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Two out of three of my kids are fully vaxed. Rachel has to have her spaced out due to her medical condition. I think she has three more to get before she's fully vaxed.

I hope that you don't have it. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I also hope that your brother has a speedy recovery.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree that its scary so many people don't get their kids fully vaccinated these days. I think that people either don't realize how deadly these diseases can be (including chicken pox which I got as an adult and was very, very, very sick from -- and scarred) or they are relying on the "herd immunity". Unfortunately, the "herd" isn't as disease-free as it used to be thanks to the anti-vaccine trend and more international travel.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
The only vaccine my kids didn't get was the norovirus vaccine. And we've skipped the flu vaccine the last 2 years also. But I am all for vaccinating!!! I think some people don't do it because it's trendy not to... Not because they actually have a good reason for it. Scary stuff.
We also skip the flu vaccine... but J has all the rest of the shots. 90% of the shots he got, I got as a kid... so it has been around a long time and have been proven. It saddens me that people would not vac their kids for no reason but they think they are trendy...
Old 04-29-2014, 11:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

None of us get the flu shot. I did wait for the Hep B vaccine until both of my boys were one month old. Only because, I don't want to give them a shot that early. The other reason being I had a bad allergic reaction to it. So I felt safer waiting until they were a little older. They have had all other shots though. Well Cade is fixing to get his six month shots. I totally just almost put sh*ts lol!
Old 04-30-2014, 10:02 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

We definitely vaccinate on schedule. With all of our allergies and other respiratory issues, I just feel like it's the best thing to protect my child from whatever I can. We don't get the flu vaccine either. I did the shot/mist for my daughter up to age 4 and I got it until she was 3 years old, and after that I just stopped.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:37 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, no! I hope your brother goes through it well and you don't catch it!?! How is he doing?!

Time for a side rant - we vaccinate, but I do know some people who don't. When Chicken Pox was going around the school, the non-vaccinated kids were sent home for TWO WEEKS and the district sent them tutors to teach them one-on-one. Nice use of MY TAX dollars, NOT. If it's their choice to not vaccinate, then they should be responsible for the consequences.

Penny
Old 05-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had mumps, chicken pox, and measles when I was a kid. But my kids have all been fully vaccinated. My oldest had chicken pox when he was about 3 years old because the vaccine had not been invented yet. He gave it to 4 people - 2 adults, his cousin, and my other son who was 9 months old at the time. DS2 had to get vaccinated for the CP when he was a teenager because his outbreak was very mild at 9 months.

La - hope your brother recovers quickly and you don't get them!
Old 05-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

Oh no!!! Praying for your brother!

I had whooping cough a few years ago. I have no idea where it came from. I was vax'd for it as a kid and had my boosters and everything, but still managed to get it. It was horrible and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. (Although I did share it with Luke's teacher!)

I don't get the non-vaxing side either, but I have a LOT of online friends who don't vax. We just don't discuss the topic b/c they can get pretty heated about it.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

Oh and I don't do the flu shot either... and I work in a school.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I hope your bother gets wells soon and you can dodge that bullet.

I had a whooping cough booster when I got my tetanus shot several years ago. Mainly because there was an outbreak then, and now as a matter of fact, from missionaries not vaccinating, going to countries where it's common and bringing it back here. At the time, my nephew was a preemie who had just come home from the hospital and I didn't want to give it to him.

There have been a few vaccines that were recommended and I was like, yep, give it. Including Gardasil for my teenage son, who could one day carry HPV and spread it to women who weren't vaccinated.