Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2008, 10:58 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm
Default so my other thread got me thinking..

What are some things you did as a kid/teenager/young adult even that you no longer do and sometimes miss?

I never really thought I was too "active" .. but looking back I realize I miss all the stuff I did

Like I said I danced for 10 years, I played a variety of musical instruments (and was a music major) for .. 8 years (well played.. LOL I wasn't a music major for 8 years lol btw I totally just counted on my fingers lmao).. I played soccer (I sucked at that lol). there was a variety of other sports/activities that I "tried" and "failed" too but we won't count those. I was majorly into performance art before becoming a mom.. I seriously NEVER imagined I'd be designing or anything even REMOTELY similar.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mostly just the soccer, and I guess I'm doing that now so woot.

I do miss sleeping in, though, does that count? LOL
Old 05-17-2008, 11:01 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

lmao YES.. sleeping SO should be added to my list
Old 05-17-2008, 11:06 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I use to show Quarter horses competitively - and my mom forced me to do a few rodeos (and really - it was cutting, where the horse does all the work on getting cattle away from the herd, and the rider just pretty much hangs on, sits up straight, and looks pretty) - but I was an actual Rodeo queen in my youth
I do miss the hours on end I would spend in the barn - a lot of alone time, with animals - and animals don't judge, make demands, or even throw tantrums (often).
I was also on my schools Pom squad - and really? I miss being young. LoL

Fan of:

Old 05-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Brooke W

before going to college, i did lots of things. I rode my bike everywhere. Went to the pool and park with my friends. I was in 4-H with a horse project for 6 years.
Then came college. I learned to bowl and was in a mixed league with good friends. Played WAY too much pinball then too,lol. I have a bachelor of fine arts in printmaking (and almost as many hours in painting). But I've never done much with the art egree. Didn't want to go into teaching and didn't go for a masters. Instead, I got married,lol.
Haven't bowled in close to 30 years and couldn't tell you when I last rode a bike.
Still have critters around, horses, cats, dogs and yes, the dh too .
Old 05-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

hmm..I was a Jill of all things when I was young....baseball, basketball, badminton, S.A.D.D., cheerleading, gymnastics...and I played the recoder when I was in Kindergarden, LOL!!! Most of all I miss the sleep part too!!!!

Proud to be creating for:

Old 05-17-2008, 11:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Brooke W

Jill, another horse person! I showed Appaloosas. Most the time tho, my horses were shown by others. My old girl (she's 29 now) as a three year old was top ten at the Appaloosa Worlds in jr. reining and made the semi finals that year at the NRHA futurity that was held then at Congress. I do miss those days, they were a lot of fun. These days I just go and watch my friends compete,lol.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

Oh gosh a ton of stuff Lauren. Dancing mainly. We did a lot of dance routines in cheerleading and they were always so much fun. I hated the rahah and pom poms, I stuck around for the stunts, dances, and getting out of class.

Working out, playing basketball (which i was terrible at), singing, swimming (wouldn't be caught dead in a swimsuit now). I was always in school plays and chorus. Loved acting. Fishing and shooting is pretty much the only things I've kept up with and that's because it's really the only thing me and dad can do together. Burly old men aren't much for scrapping

facebook
Old 05-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I miss singing--in a choir really. And sometimes I miss playing the flute. I try to do a little in church, but it's not the same. I do sing all the time at home and my girls (3 and 1) do a little too, but still... it's not the same.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

Oh, and mudslinging Seriously, it was fun. All the guys had at least one piece of junk old truck. We'd take it out just after it rained in one of the bazillion fields of red mud around here and just go wild. Turn the thing over, throw mud all over everybody.....yeah, redneck but fun. Those little old boxy jeeps were the best for it LOL

facebook
Old 05-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I danced and did gymnastics for quite a number of years..played soccer and softball..had a horse or two (gonna do a LO in a few with one lol)

I don't necessarily miss it, my kids play soccer and dance so i stay a little busy with that in the spring and fall...

Gymnastics did a # on me though..like you Lauren i had (still have) a terrible body image. I never really wanted my kids to get into gymnastics or tumbling for that reason alone.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 05-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I miss my sleep most of all. I was a singer in HS. In fact I lettered in Choir. (yeah, I know how can you letter in Choir?) I was on the dive team, I miss being in the water! And then there was College. I majored in Photography. And I was really good at the fine art landscapes and the alterntive processes, but I got prego with kaylee my last semester and couldn't finish up. I really REALLY miss being in the darkroom. Hours upon hours standing in a dark room smelling those fumes (I really miss that smell) trying to get one photo just perfect. And when it comes out just the way you had envisioned it... AHHHH those were the days!

Old 05-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I tell you what I WAS NOT when I was growing up...CREATIVE! It was completely foreign to me. I was a wellounded academic, with my extra curricular stuff being cheer, drill team, violin, and piano. I was an artistic musician in the sense that I was not robotic about it...same with dance, but I still couldn't do anything remotely related to painting, drawing, sewing, crafts, etc.

Then when my daughter was born, it was like a sleeper gene called into action...BOOM! All of a sudden, I'm tole painting, sewing, scrapbooking, making cards, making home dec projects...the whole 9 yards. It was the biggest joke ever to my mom...she went to the grave laughing about it.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I played softball all throgh out my life and really really miss it! I was SO girly so some found it funny but it just was such a special experience from me. Really kept me in shape to because omg my ass and photoshop are not friends LOL
Old 05-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scarletsierra

Ooh I miss a lot of my activties..singing in choir, horseback riding, playing sports (softball and basketball). Some how all of these things have faded out of my adult life.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalhartley View Post
Then when my daughter was born, it was like a sleeper gene called into action...BOOM! All of a sudden, I'm tole painting, sewing, scrapbooking, making cards, making home dec projects...the whole 9 yards. It was the biggest joke ever to my mom...she went to the grave laughing about it.
ME TOO!!!! I still often say I'm not crafty. And people are like WTH.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:01 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I miss softball and volleyball I miss being so active, I need to get my butt back in shape!

Old 05-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Definitely the sleeping!

Starting in college, I loved soaking in the atmosphere at living history museums. There were always amazing photo ops, too. Every couple of months I'd go off for the day to Sturbridge Village in MA or Colonial Williamsburg in VA, or whatever other museum was nearby. I also went off on silly quests, like I'd decide I needed a certain yarn for a project and drive hours going to 3 different yarn stores in search of it. It really had nothing to do with the yarn, but I loved the time to myself exploring areas I'd never been in before. I miss the freedom to just pick up and go by myself.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3hens View Post
omg my ass and photoshop are not friends LOL
Amen, sister.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:19 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

I do miss the freedom too.. I use to just get up and go with my friends, wherever.. whenever.. 3 am? sure.. let's go we'd drive anywhere... NH.. NY.. it didn't matter.. we'd just GO, no plan.. just enjoy it. That's not happening again for another 14 years at least LOL
Old 05-18-2008, 01:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Kat Stokes Send a message via Yahoo to Kat Stokes

The #1 thing I miss most is sleeping.

Other than that, probably racing. I raced Quarter Midgets from age 9 to 16 plus we pretty much lived at the local Sprint Car tracks from the time I was 6 weeks old.

I also played Volleyball and Softball, which I still love to do when I have the time and can find people to play with!

I ran track in middle school and unfortunately it didn't stick with me. I wish it did because now I want to run (long distance) and I can't. I feel like dying every time I try.

Proudly creating for:
Libby Pritchett

Old 05-18-2008, 01:07 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

i miss running! how weird is that. when i was hot and young and should've went outside the house naked i loved to run and i really miss that. also i played comp softball and volleyball...i really missed that. i do play rec volleyball now so that is good. i also miss sleepovers with friends. women should have more sleepovers.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:17 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

oh my gosh! i totally miss having FRIENDS! girlfriends who aren't related to me at all. i miss sleepovers and midnight swimming and after-midnight-swim trips to the Steak N Shake for a milkshake! I miss dejaying dances with my buddies. I miss driving around Washington DC in my 1982 BMW (in 1997!) with my crank-open sunroof getting lost trying to get to church dances. I miss checking myself out of school for an hour to have an extended lunch... driving to Sunshine and getting a hamburger at the dirty gas station! I miss playing the piano. I miss having disposable income ALL TO MYSELF! I miss spending HOURS in the darkroom and even more HOURS taking pictures for myself & for the yearbook. I was a total geek in highschool. No one remembers me. I made no lasting impressions on anyone, but I miss the sense of freedom I had. Most of all I miss the feeling that the world is a good place and my basic belief in innocence. It's sad how that disappears as you get older and realize that people you thought were good aren't.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:20 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcardall View Post
oh my gosh! i totally miss having FRIENDS! girlfriends who aren't related to me at all. i miss sleepovers and midnight swimming and after-midnight-swim trips to the Steak N Shake for a milkshake! I miss dejaying dances with my buddies. I miss driving around Washington DC in my 1982 BMW (in 1997!) with my crank-open sunroof getting lost trying to get to church dances. I miss checking myself out of school for an hour to have an extended lunch... driving to Sunshine and getting a hamburger at the dirty gas station! I miss playing the piano. I miss having disposable income ALL TO MYSELF! I miss spending HOURS in the darkroom and even more HOURS taking pictures for myself & for the yearbook. I was a total geek in highschool. No one remembers me. I made no lasting impressions on anyone, but I miss the sense of freedom I had. Most of all I miss the feeling that the world is a good place and my basic belief in innocence. It's sad how that disappears as you get older and realize that people you thought were good aren't.
this is beautiful! made me teary!! thank you for sharing those words.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Playing guitar. I took lessons for several years and really was pretty good, but I got tired of the practicing when all my friends were out playing and dropped it and now I really wish I hadn't. I should pick it up again.....
Old 05-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm, I worked 3 jobs in high school, didn't play sports, didn't do much in the way of crafty/hobby stuff, so the only thing I really miss is hanging with my friends because I surely don't want to work 3 jobs again although one would be nice about now! LOL! And I am always scrapping and I hang with my family so I really can't complain!

Old 05-18-2008, 07:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was in Brownies, Guides, Messengers, Explorers and CGIT (all different years) and used to play outside constantly. I don't remember even playing inside the house. LOL I was never a sports person and actually have a phobia of flying objects now because I got hit in the face with pretty much any ball/shuttle that we used in gym class. Like seriously...a baseball to the chin isn't fun. LOL I also was in the church choir for a few years when I was a kid.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

SPORTS! I was captain of the basketball team and softball team. I was a majorette captain my junior and senior year. Even after school and college, I was involved in co-ed softball teams and had a blast! I was a HUGE crafter - always had something on the table in the works. Guess that's why I lean more toward the hybrid stuff although doing albums and cards is kinda lame to me.

Now I chauffer the kids and try to get some sleep in between.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcardall View Post
You probably just summed up our total existance as youngsters - carefree and innocent. If only kids today would listen to us about the things we did. Now all you hear is "gimme...." Kids today (older ones like above 8 have no clue how to have fun.)
Old 05-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I miss reading. I miss just going away for the weekend on the spur of the moment without having to pack food, clothing & toys for 4 people. I miss partying until 4am. I miss going to classes. I miss going to lunch with my friends. I miss having time on my hands.

Mostly, though I miss my income. I started working in 1980, when I was 13 and was never without a job (or unemployment compensation) until my son was born in October 2002 and even then my various vacation & leave payments kept me with a paycheck until March 2003 when I officially became a SAHM.

Last edited by Stacey42; 05-18-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wasn't overly active. I was kind of a bookworm. Still am. I did play softball when I was younger, but not for very long. I played volleyball. I wasn't very good but i had fun. I was mostly active in my clubs at school; Science Club, Art Club and Spanish Club. We didnt do a whole lot, just mostly awesome field trips, lol. Or we'd get together and cook yummy spanish meals for Spanish Club. I lived for art. I used to sit and draw all the time. I don't remember the last time i sat and drew, lol. I want one of those wacom tablets to play around with. I really wanted to go to college (Ball State) for Graphic Design, but i couldnt find the funds to go. We tried that FASFA but got rejected cause they said my parents made too much money(WTF??) we were not rich, so whatever. So i never went. Met my DH got married, moved around a lot cause he was in the Army and had my kids. the end lol.

Last edited by junebug; 05-18-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

One thing I wish I still could do is go country line dancing. It was alot of fun and a great way to relieve stress and burn some calories. I also wish I could go up to my parents' cabin more often. It is so peaceful and relaxing up there, but we just don't have the time to get up there.

My Sweet Shoppe Gallery
Old 05-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Dance! I danced from 7th grade until I was a senior. I even got brave and took a few dance classes in college. Here's a layout I did about my high school dance team, RHS Dance. I also did gymnastics which I loved!!!! I didn't do it for very long, but again took a gymnastics class in college.

The other things I did that I miss are painting and drawing. I loved art. I remember going into my room and getting into my creative zone. NOTHING could break that mojo, NOTHING!!! Ahhhhh, those were the days.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny

I was very active as a child, besides some volleyball until I was 13. But I got into theater and drama in highschool and I really miss it. I can't sing for crap so musicals weren't my thing (although I LOVE them). But I miss having that type of creative outlet. Getting to be someone else for a few hours and get lost in THEIR life rather than my own.
________
Vaporizer shop

Last edited by iJenny; 09-08-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sleep would have to be #1 for me too...I have an internal alarm clack that just wakes me up WAY too early!!!!! I was a swimmer from age 6 all the way through HS and miss that terribly. We lived at the pool all year cause 1 older and 1 younger brother were swimmers too!!! I also miss the fact that when I was younger we could just hop on our bikes ans go wherever, whenever!!! I try to explain to my kids how dangerous it is out there with all the kids snatchers and they just look at me like I am crazy, they just don't get it. I also miss the fact that we could trick or treat until like 9 pm or later and now there are rules and a curfew....They enforce it heavily too!!!! The world we used to live in is so different, my kids do not know the difference but it makes me sad that they do not have the kind of freedoms I did when I was growing up!!!!

Proudly creating for:
LCC by Amy Stoffel, Cori Gammon, DIGI SCRAP ADDICTS Site CT,
Faith True, Geek Chic Scraps, Jac Bernardo, Laura Banasiak, Litabells Designs, Kelley Mickus, Micheline Martin Designs, Nikki Epperson,
Penny Springmann, SCRAP ORCHARD Site CT, THE DAILY SCRAPPER Site CT
Old 05-18-2008, 11:40 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I miss being a whirling dervish w/o needing to worry abt how to get there or how to pay for it!

My junior & senior years of HS, I did Spellbowl in the fall, Academic Super Bowl in the Spring, played handbells at my church all year long, ran my church's youth group during the school year, was co-editor-in-chief of the school lit mag, and worked at the local mini-golf and arcade place during the summer. I borrowed my mom's car or she drove me whenever I needed to go somewhere and whenever I needed money, my mom gave me some. I had no chores, no allowance, no worries. I was accepted into a state school the second week of my senior year, so I didn't have to worry abt where I was going or working on my grades. Boys terrified the crap out of me, so I just did my own thing and wore dumb teeshirts and jeans and hung out with all sorts of different people: Marching Band peeps, literary mag artsy-fartsy peeps, troublemaker peeps in French class, youth group peeps. I wasn't popular, but I didn't care.

Those were the days...
Old 05-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I used to ride my mountain bike EVERYWHERE and I used to swim two miles a day! I sure miss that.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I miss having my own SPACE and freedom to do with my time what I wanted.

Wasn't really overly physically active. Was on HS tennis team (but mostly b/c I was forced to). I used to write, wanted to be a writer but I liked the idea of being a writer than doing the actual writing.

Probably the thing I miss most from my younger days (i.e., college years) was having a close group of friends and going to clubs to dance. ahh, fun times . ..
Old 05-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3hens View Post
I played softball all throgh out my life and really really miss it! I was SO girly so some found it funny but it just was such a special experience from me. Really kept me in shape to because omg my ass and photoshop are not friends LOL
ROFL, this is me! Well... minus the super girly part. That wasn't me, but the rest is.

I also really miss singing in a choir. I also lettered in choir, as well as academics. I was a little bit of a nerd....
Old 05-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Sleep. Oh how I miss sleep. I desperately wish that my children would sleep past 7 am on the weekends.

I miss going out all the time and dancing.

I did gymnastics when I was young but I was not good at it. Abby is doing dance now and enjoys it. She's overweight for her height so I'm hoping this will give her a good energy outlet to get her back to a healthy weight for her.

Other than that, I didn't do much in school.. I was a theatre geek. I miss the productions though, and wish I had an in around here to do directing or stage managing but the rehearsal hours would not be good for my childcare. Sigh.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow - I could write a book on the things I used to do - I was active - cheer/swim team
I was an adrenaline junkie - when I joined the army I had jump wings - I have my padi cert (scuba dive) - I used to rock climb, ran 2 marathons drove a jeep wrangler - - now - not so much - I am a football mom and a GIANT TAXI!!!!!

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland

Old 05-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Pretty much just doing what I want, when I want. Being able to lie in bed and read all day. Having my prebaby body back would make me happy LOL
Old 05-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to suze

great question!

I spent most of my time playing basketball and cheerleading. I tried to go out and shoot around recently. oh it was bad... and I use to play varsity in high school.