Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2010, 05:23 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm
Default I need a republican..

LOL.. you are probs never going to hear me say that again ^_^

But I need an explanation .. A CLEAR .. lacking emotion and all the grr passion stuff.. I do not want anyone arguing in this post.. I just do not understand and wish to understand the view of the republican.

an explanation on why you think "less government" is good.. Not just that-- but WHAT exactly in detail.. what it means to you.. and.. Where you think the $$ (as less government statements always include less taxes) to fund things/programs that you want to stay/to create should come from... and any other pertinent information- like where you think the government is currently- too active in your life right now.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a republican. And I believe in less government (actually a whole lot less I lean pretty heavily libertarian). But there is no way in heck I'd go into all the reasons why on a public message board LOL. Everybody would just knitpick my every viewpoint and reasoning!

I'm interested in your question though LA, are you just so far on the democrat side of the view that you can't picture the other side so you're wanting to get a feel for why someone would feel that way?
Old 05-29-2010, 05:38 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

I'm not a democrat..
I really want to understand as it's something that is continuously brought up- and contradicted- whenever someone argues it to me. So I want to hear someone with a clear concise explanation so it doesn't make my head wobble.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:39 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

and i said there was no arguing allowed in my post. I will kick anyone who does
Old 05-29-2010, 05:40 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Umm. I'm not a registered Republican. But, I am relatively conservative and have Republican tendancies. However, I do also consider myself to be pretty open minded without extreme leanings to either the left or the right, so . . .

For me, it's not about less government as much as it is about local government. I think the state and local governments should have more say in how things work in their communities. In particular, I feel like education is an area that would be so much more efficient and effective if local communities were able to identify their own problems and figure out what they need to do to solve them instead of having to meet a standard set up by some guy in Washington who has never set foot in the state, let alone the individual communities.

Now, I recognize that this brings with it a while new set of problems about funding and college standards and all sorts of things. And, I don't have good answers for all of that, so maybe I'm no help in answering your question at all. I just think that the people who are in the local communities and who know their local problems and the source of those problems should have more say in how those problems are dealt with.

As for areas where I feel like the government has too much control of my life, I can't say that I feel the presence of the government holding me back that much. But, I would dare say that people who deal with government services more than me would have some stories to tell about inefficiencies, red tape, and regulations that are pretty ridiculous. My main gripe with the government is that it's really expensive and doesn't accomplish much. I don't feel like there are many politicians out there who are REALLY looking out for the people. They have a lot of other interests with a lot more money attached. So, I can't say that I'm in love with either party right now.

So, after all that, I'm pretty sure I didn't help you at all La. LOL!

Old 05-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow......I hope we can all stay nice in this thread! I mainly vote republican due to my moral believes. MOST republicans vote along those guidelines for me. I know there are some democrats that tend to toe the line on those issues. That being said.......I don't vote for someone due to what party they claim. I vote on that person and their agenda. I have voted for people in all parties.

As for government assisted programs.........it just depends on what you are talking about. If it is the heath care program I am totally against it. My hubby and I are self employed and have employees. We are already paying out the butt on health premiums (seriously....my family alone (2 adults and 1 child) who don't have health issues and not on any medication pay over $1000 a month in premium AND our health plan doesn't cover ANYTHING (not even a discount) until we reach 5000 in expenses. We have shopped each year and this is still the cheapest plan out there for us) but this would be a HUGE hardship on us. We would probably have to close shop. Seriously. I know this is a concern to many small business owners. It is already a financial burden on so many and this would just be overwhelming. Why should my hard earned dollars go to help people who are ABLE to work that refuse to? I don't think that is fair to those of us that work hard and budget our money accordingly. I am all about charity and giving......but I shouldn't be FORCED to. I do fully support our government helping those that can't work due to disability, mental illness, ect.

I fully think the government should fund programs. I don't think that comes for free. I hate to see taxes go up but I know it has to come from somewhere. It is not like the US has been a great steward of the nations money (no matter who is in office!). The budget is crazy. Too many bills and not enough money. There are going to be cuts in the budget. There is no way around that. They have to start digging out of the hole somehow.

Is that making sense?
Old 05-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am not very good at clear and concise....I'm kind of a rambler. So I probably can't help much but I will say in general I believe in less government because our government doesn't do things very well. It seems like most programs and things that are run by the government are far less efficient than they could be - so I just think giving them more to do is a big mistake. As far as how that translates into taxes - I'm not sure what to say, I'm probably not well versed enough to speak to that succinctly.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:03 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

I do not love either party either.. They both have major issues. Major. Our government has major issues- I agree to all those points...

Correct me if I am wrong... please... But I do believe that individual states do have power to make their own legislation even if it is opposing to that of the federal government (prime example being gay marriage-- not to open that bag of worms- but at state level, you can make it legal- it will just not be recognized by the federal government ).

I've had to work directly hand in hand with a lot of govt run programs the past few months. Directly hand in hand with members of the govt. They sucked.
Big time.

I agree that the govt does a LOT of things wrong. and a lot of things need to be addressed/changed/overhauled/fixed/etc. I believe that other democratic nations- balance themselves far better than we do, and I do not know/understand what is broken with our system.

tara, i am too- obviously ^_^ - self employed. I recently, had to obtain medicaid for myself and my son. We are contributing to the system- and I have been.. since my first job forever ago (fyi i didn't take any offense to what you said i'm just explaining myself lol).Health insurance however- with all his health issues- would have beyond broken us.
Being self employed and seeking insurance- sucks- i agree. Are you against the changes to the health care system that are to take place? including the pooling for self employed/small business owners who have x amount of employees. Isn't this more government and could essentially benefit you? or are you just against your taxes/contribution towards funding the medicaid system?
Old 05-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I really have no business in this thread, as I am not conservative in the slightest, nor am I a Republican, but I had to post that the title of the thread made me seriously LOL.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:06 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

lol I had to catch people's attention ^_^
Old 05-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Also self employed and having to use Medi-Cal here...the health care bill isn't neccisarily just for "welfare moms" and people ripping off the system There's no WAY we could afford health care even though we live comfortably.

I have no business in this thread, I'm interested to see points of view though too

I like the stance that it's not really "less government" but rather local government, though in that case we might as well just split up into 50 countries, which I'm not opposed to haha.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I'm an Independent with Libertarian leanings. To me less government means less red tape, less bureaucracy and more sense in govt. It also means less laws & bills. In many many cases there are already perfectly good laws on the books that simply are not being enforce properly.

There is a govt office that is supposed to hand out grants for rural broadband internet access. They have hundreds of millions to give, and almost 2 years so far to give it and to date they have only recently parted with $20 mill. Maybe I'm just cynical but since that whole office will cease to exist once the money is handed out I suspect they have little incentive to do so. And it's not the only one.

The federal government has gotten involved in managing & making laws for things that ought to be states laws - like medicinal marijuana & abortion. I think the feds have gotten out of hand, taking over things that are not their responsibility. Less govt to me mean less federal rule & more state & local rule.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think this is SO funny because I have been trying to figure out why a rational person would be FOR big government!
I agree with Emmy that government doesn't do anything well. I think the less the govt. is involved in private business the better. Take for instance this whole BP oil spill thing. You know the only reason BP has an operation in the gulf is BECAUSE WE LIKE TO USE OIL. And BP is taking responsibility for cleaning it up. So why does America expect OBAMA to do something about it? It's not the govt. responsibility.

I think we've become waaaay to dependent on govt. to do things we should be doing for ourselves. I support govt. schools, hospitals, roads, justice system, etc. But the more govt. gets involved in private business and our personal lives, the less I like it.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm hoping we all can post in this thread. I'm a die hard democrat, and have been since I knew the difference.

My hubby is a die hard democrat too, but his family is 110% republican. It is a huge issue with us, and we can't have political conversations with his family at all! (Well we could, but they just tell us we're stupid and wrong, so we don't.)

So why am I in this thread? Because I would love to hear from republicans. I want to understand their perspective, and that is something that can't / won't ever happen with DH's family.

Love the thread title, too!

Last edited by Kim Mauch; 05-29-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
I agree that the govt does a LOT of things wrong. and a lot of things need to be addressed/changed/overhauled/fixed/etc. I believe that other democratic nations- balance themselves far better than we do, and I do not know/understand what is broken with our system.
I am a registered Republican, but that is probably because I live in Orange County, and grew up in Yorba Linda, the birthplace of Richard Nixon, but I definitely lean more towards the left. I think our system is broken because of bipartisanship. The two parties refuse to work together and until they can compromise and work together towards a better America, it cannot be fixed. And unfortunately I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:08 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

So- those of you who support stronger state government and less federal involvement- There is still the taxes issue yes? Would you be opposed to much higher state taxes if you take away the high levels of federal funding, federal involvement, and so forth? This would also be unbalanced btwn the states as different states obviously need varying amounts of funding.
(fyi I'm not opposed to stronger state governement-- I am just curious as to how you would approach that. If you want the federal govt to back off- it has to be across the board yes?).

And yes, Kellie, I agree... I kind of chuckle a little @ all the ranting that the govt isn't doing enough (they are infact, doing a lot though), when everyone is saying they want less govt. This is one of the millions of points that I just do not understand. When everything falls apart... we want the govt there. We can't have that support only when it suits us. It's there or not.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:10 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

and of course dems can post.. as long as you're nice LOL..

and if i get annoying - someone is allowed to tell me to shush it too. I really just want to understand. I don't *get* the back and forth. My opinions are......................... very strong.. but I promise I'm not bringing 99% of them into this haha.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey42 View Post
I'm an Independent with Libertarian leanings. To me less government means less red tape, less bureaucracy and more sense in govt. It also means less laws & bills. In many many cases there are already perfectly good laws on the books that simply are not being enforce properly.
Same here.
Two of my main issues with the way the government handles things are with the welfare/foodstamps/medicare and education. With the first set I think that there are far too many loopholes in those programs so that they do not run in the ways that they should. (I say this as someone who lives around one of the poorest areas of the country) People find ways to stay in the programs when the time limit (because there is one on welfare) is up by working around the system. And at the same time I feel that the requirements for those three can be overly strict so that those who are working but do still need the assistance find it extremely difficult to impossible to get the help they need. We were on medicare when the boys were little since John's old job did not have insurance. When Zach turned two his doctor noticed mole on his back was getting progressively larger and darker. We had to go to six different doctors to get second opinions because medicare kept denying to let us take him to get it tested. When they finally did approve it we had to take him to the worst hospital around us to a specialty group there, which had a three month wait to be seen. He finally got a biopsy on it and the results came back as pre-cancerous we had another 3 month wait before medicare would approve for it to be removed. (sorry about the rambling rant... we were on it three years and it was just a horrible experience...)
As for education yes the states and local governments have some control over that, but the vast majority of the control is held by the federal government which I think is just wrong. I think the federal government should have SOME control, but I think the state and local should have the most. That way it is more individualized and in the end more beneficial to the students.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 05-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
So- those of you who support stronger state government and less federal involvement- There is still the taxes issue yes? Would you be opposed to much higher state taxes if you take away the high levels of federal funding, federal involvement, and so forth? This would also be unbalanced btwn the states as different states obviously need varying amounts of funding.
If I thought that it would go to the benefit of my community and stay primarily in the community, I would have no problem paying more taxes.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 05-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

Something I have never understood about Republicans and the fact that they want less government, is why they are for laws against abortion, against medical marijuana or legalizing marijuana altogether, and against legalizing gay marriage. It is such a contradiction of less government to me. I guess this is where my liberal side comes out. I don't necessarily participate in all or any of them, but if there is an explanation about this from a Republican that is something I have always been curious about. And please don't let this start an argument because i realize most people have very strong opinions on them all and arguing about it will not change anybody's views. I just want to understand how Republicans want less government, but only when it comes to specific things.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:29 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopert View Post
Something I have never understood about Republicans and the fact that they want less government, is why they are for laws against abortion, against medical marijuana or legalizing marijuana altogether, and against legalizing gay marriage. It is such a contradiction of less government to me. I guess this is where my liberal side comes out. I don't necessarily participate in all or any of them, but if there is an explanation about this from a Republican that is something I have always been curious about. And please don't let this start an argument because i realize most people have very strong opinions on them all and arguing about it will not change anybody's views. I just want to understand how Republicans want less government, but only when it comes to specific things.
yes.
this is in the list of millions of things i do not understand. :] I was really hoping someone would have explained all of the "exceptions" to the general repub stance but no one has yet.. lol
Old 05-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

In an ideal world, I think there would be a greater deal of accountability and responsiblity at the local level. If things worked out in my perfect world, every family would have a strong work ethic (which applies to just more than holding down a job), would be there for their families and their neighbors, etc.-elying less on government. However, it's just not realistic that it will happen that way, so I do see why government subsidizing and internvention is necessary. If, however, people invested more (time, energy, money, etc.) into their own communities, I think it would definitely undermine the argument that the federal government has to get involved.

On another level, I'm okay with some government intervention. For example...car seat / seat belt laws. If people were responsible, there wouldn't be a need for the laws because people would just do the right thing. Instead, thousands of needless fatalalities spurred legislation.

It's probably not a bad thing to have someone overseeing pharmaceutical industry, making sure stuff we take is safe--but I bet almost anyone you talk to probably thinks even the FDA isn't doing the best job it can (due to lobbyists, money, etc.).

So, I'm torn. I guess until more people choose to do what's right simply because it's the right thing to do, we have to have Big Brother wasting our money to tell us how/when/what to do.

eta:
Just read the response above. Despite being pretty conservative, I am actually not supportive of legislation that interferes with people's way of life as long as it doesn't harm others (emotionally or physically). Gay marriage, for example, is not something I necessarily support, but I think it's wrong for the government to butt in and make it constitutionally wrong. There are no freedoms being removed through the practice of gay marriage. No one is dying. Etc. Etc.

Last edited by krystalhartley; 05-29-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:57 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

I too would like to live in your perfect ideal world krystal.. lol. unfortunately of course, our very country is based on capitalism and greed.. corruption and manipulation to get ahead.. to beat out the others in the great rat race. I don't think this is something that will ever change.. I think it's ingrained in human nature (not that I am one who thinks all humans are evil..)/

This is also however, why i think large government- when applied properly (erm)- is important. Because we need regulation w/ the greedy companies.. We need regulation to protect our children- to keep them safe, to ensure they are getting an education, to ensure they are getting health care.. etc... and I'm not sure how to balance that. I think- at the base- our government system is awesome. Checks and balances and all that. We just need a reset button.

I also- agree with your statement wholeheartedly.. and I appreciate it even more since you are opposed to things such as gay marriage personally & that there is no harm to you or others, there should be no legislation or government involvement reguarding those sorts of things. There are many t hings in the world that i may disagree with.. but if it's not hurting me/others, I have no business in saying it's wrong for other people to do so.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalhartley View Post
So, I'm torn. I guess until more people choose to do what's right simply because it's the right thing to do, we have to have Big Brother wasting our money to tell us how/when/what to do.

eta:
Just read the response above. Despite being pretty conservative, I am actually not supportive of legislation that interferes with people's way of life as long as it doesn't harm others (emotionally or physically). Gay marriage, for example, is not something I necessarily support, but I think it's wrong for the government to butt in and make it constitutionally wrong. There are no freedoms being removed through the practice of gay marriage. No one is dying. Etc. Etc.
Krystal Hartley, you are pretty close to perfect. I agree with most of what you said.

In regards to abortion, it's not just a moral issue. I support legislature that makes abortion illegal because it DOES harm others. It protects an unborn child with a beating heart but no voice. Of course others don't see it this way, but that is my reason.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am not against state assisted insurance programs. In fact, my youngest son Landon is benefiting from it. Since I adopted him from the state system, he gets state insurance until he is 18 as a benefit. I AM SO THANKFUL FOR THIS. I don't think that all people on state assisted health care are dead beats. There are many reasons that it is there for and it being used for. BUT there are many that take advantage of this too. Those are the people that I have a hard time with. Those are the people that I tend to run into A LOT since I have been a foster/adoptive family through the state. There are HUGE holes in the system that needs to be corrected. I didn't mean that judgmental. I promise! I was mainly thinking of those that lie to get it or simply don't work to qualify instead of doing a honest days work and be a grown up. Unfortunately we don't qualify due to making too much money so we are paying out the A** for crappy coverage.

Universal health plan - I have looked into the provision for small business owners and I have to be honest........I think there is A LOT of unclear terminology that will be up for interpretation that in the end would screw us. If it was VERY DETAILED and left no room for gray area, I would rethink my stance on it. Our state has a program to "help" small business owners and we used it for one year........then it blew up in our face. Seriously. It was a way to help us offset the cost of providing it to our employees (didn't help us because we made too much. grrr) and then it was taking away from us due to giving our employees a raise for cost of living. Seriously. Not a HUGE raise.....a very small percentage. So in the end, it cost us and our employees MORE money even though they got a raise. No good. So that is my fear. Also, once you are in those programs, then you have constant reporting to them. I still get statements from them even though it has been FIVE years since we did it. It is a required for them that I will have to send in or they put a lean against our business. It is just craziness. It just get to be too Big bother for me.

I agree with all the statements of it starting locally. It is important to get involved, contact your state reps and be informed.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:16 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
Krystal Hartley, you are pretty close to perfect. I agree with most of what you said.

In regards to abortion, it's not just a moral issue. I support legislature that makes abortion illegal because it DOES harm others. It protects an unborn child with a beating heart but no voice. Of course others don't see it this way, but that is my reason.
I accept your opinion on that one.
I don't want to get into the abortion debate.. or the gay rights debate.. or all that other stuff.

But you explained your position clearly. You believe it harms others. Good.
If someone tries to argue that gay marriage harms them though. I will probs not accept their opinion.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:20 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracotta7 View Post
I didn't mean that judgmental. I promise! .
No worries :] I didn't think you were being judgemental- and I agree.. I mean, I see it with my own eyes when i have to go down to the DHS office to report, or provide documentation etc. I don't think there is a way to fix that- that wouldn't hurt countless HONEST participants though, and that is really really unfortunate. People will always lie and cheat and manipulate the system.. We need to all go live in krystals bubble ^_^
lol your quote was too long so i just left that line so you knew i was talking to you hahaha
Old 05-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
(fyi I'm not opposed to stronger state governement-- I am just curious as to how you would approach that. If you want the federal govt to back off- it has to be across the board yes?).

Not all states have a state tax.

As I get older I seem to be more middle of the road. I see and agree with points on both sides. I don't think I could ever 100% lean either way.

I am not opposed to being taxed more. I do get irritated when I think about how my money is or isn't being used. I kinda wish you had little checkboxes when you filed your taxed indicating what you want your tax money used for.

I am not opposed to health care reform as long as I don't have to what we currently have.

I think that states do have a better grip on what is best for the citizens that live within that state.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Totally agree. There are so many families that would love to have that child no matter how it was conceived (rape, unplanned, drug exposed, ect). I, as an adoptive mother, am very passionate about this topic. All my adoptive kids were born to drug addicted mothers that used during pregnancy and all the babies were positive to cocaine, meth, and/or marijuana at birth. I WANTED them. They are PERFECT for me. I am so glad that their moms made this correct decision even though they were making other bad choices. I can't imagine my life without them.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:24 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiefamily View Post
Not all states have a state tax.

As I get older I seem to be more middle of the road. I see and agree with points on both sides. I don't think I could ever 100% lean either way.

I am not opposed to being taxed more. I do get irritated when I think about how my money is or isn't being used. I kinda wish you had little checkboxes when you filed your taxed indicating what you want your tax money used for.

I am not opposed to health care reform as long as I don't have to what we currently have.

I think that states do have a better grip on what is best for the citizens that live within that state.
I know i meant.. I worded it wrong ^_^ I meant if you take away federal taxing and put it all on state level-- there would be massive state taxes for everyone- as there would be no funding to support all the things we take for granted.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I know i meant.. I worded it wrong ^_^ I meant if you take away federal taxing and put it all on state level-- there would be massive state taxes for everyone- as there would be no funding to support all the things we take for granted.
That is true.

But what happens when states don't want or need more federal help? Why should they take/accept money and assistance when they don't need it? I know the Texas Governor (a whole other discussion!!!) did not want to take the stimulus money. His argument was that there were too many strings attached. That the programs the money was earmarked for would be put in place but eventually the money would run out. The money for the program would then become the state's burden.

All I know is that at the end of the day, I am blessed to live where I live. This county is far from perfect but we do have "certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." For that I am thankful.

And unlimited high speed internet. I am also thankful for that.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:47 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

hmm...
lol i actually said hmm outloud.
In the case of a state not wanting to accept federal aid- I think it would have to be a matter voted upon by the public obviously- as one mans opinion should not govern the entire state (thus our democracy). Obviously, this doesn't exist .. I know that we have to vote (in my state) where funding goes to... (transportation, development of parks etc etc).. But I think it could be expanded upon.. and I think you have a valid point.

We are certainly lucky. We're lucky we can disagree so vocally with the decisions of our government, and we are lucky for all the advantages we have. Things could certainly be a lot worse.... but that's not to say they are fantastic either.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Very interesting topic. I always like when I can read an opinion that is extremely different from mine and understand why they think that way. Much easier to discuss political topics without fighting, you learn more this way (even if it doesn't sway your opinion in the slightest). Can't answer the original question, but I enjoyed reading some of the answers.

do have to say as far as the insurance issues, I applied for state insurance for my son recently (just him, I didn't want it for myself). We have no insurance, I am a single parent with no child support, I make enough to make sure we can have the basics and a couple of extras (like cable, internet and a new toy for my son once a month), but I didn't qualify for even the highest income level insurance. I made $52 too much a month. I work 3 jobs and it kinda seemed like it would be smarter for me to quit one job and get assistance after you see stuff like that, you know? A couple of weeks later though I got a job to replace the full-time job that pays more so I can afford to get insurance now when I get my first paycheck, but it makes you think, no wonder people don't work to get help.

Last edited by lovely1m; 05-29-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with your statement about public vote. I think a lot of the grumbling about governmnet comes from the feeling that we don't have a say. Yes, we vote for our senators and representatives but do they really represent your own opioions, beliefs and feelings?

I think that is where the level of trust is lost. If my representative was truly representing me I would be more inclined to have more government. But right now I think they are a bunch of idiots and I don't trust that they have my best interest in mind.

I wish we were able to express our vote more. I wish I was able to vote for specifically what I want and not have someone do it for me. You can only trust yourself.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:10 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
Very interesting topic. I always like when I can read an opinion that is extremely different from mine and understand why they think that way. Much easier to discuss political topics without fighting, you learn more this way (even if it doesn't sway your opinion in the slightest). Can't answer the original question, but I enjoyed reading some of the answers.

do have to say as far as the insurance issues, I applied for state insurance for my son recently (just him, I didn't want it for myself). We have no insurance, I am a single parent with no child support, I make enough to make sure we can have the basics and a couple of extras (like cable, internet and a new toy for my son once a month), but I didn't qualify for even the highest income level insurance. I made $52 too much a month. I work 3 jobs and it kinda seemed like it would be smarter for me to quit one job and get assistance after you see stuff like that, you know? A couple of weeks later though I got a job to replace the full-time job that pays more so I can afford to get insurance now when I get my first paycheck, but it makes you think, no wonder people don't work to get help.
SSD is awesome like that I really don't think we've ever gotten politically ugly LOL..

anyway..yes. and this is yet another problem. Tightening regulations even further because of those who abuse the system would just hurt more and more families... and otoh- your statement, unfortunately, is what a lot of people DO do. Manipulating the system, once again. I understand why there are guidelines. I understand if you make 52 dollars too much you don't get it the end... But no child, should be without insurance. I think that all children- should be covered... and all working adults should have a means to obtain Affordable insurance. I don't think it should just be a blanket system..
Our situations are similar- in the fact that we're both single parents, receiving no CS & no medical insurance from the other parent. This isn't a "unique" situation.. there are a lot of honest hard working people who need these programs.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:12 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiefamily View Post
I agree with your statement about public vote. I think a lot of the grumbling about governmnet comes from the feeling that we don't have a say. Yes, we vote for our senators and representatives but do they really represent your own opioions, beliefs and feelings?

I think that is where the level of trust is lost. If my representative was truly representing me I would be more inclined to have more government. But right now I think they are a bunch of idiots and I don't trust that they have my best interest in mind.

I wish we were able to express our vote more. I wish I was able to vote for specifically what I want and not have someone do it for me. You can only trust yourself.
This is one of the problems i I have with a more local government focused system.. because I don't believe that the small scaled government is......... governed LOL enough. We do not have all the branches in place in the same force of the federal government.. so at the end of the day- the public doesn't have "as much of" a say on the local government. This is the way I see it anyway.
Maybe THAT is what needs an overhaul. Not the federal government as a whole- but how we operate on state level.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
But no child, should be without insurance. I think that all children- should be covered... and all working adults should have a means to obtain Affordable insurance. I don't think it should just be a blanket system..
Our situations are similar- in the fact that we're both single parents, receiving no CS & no medical insurance from the other parent. This isn't a "unique" situation.. there are a lot of honest hard working people who need these programs.
I completely and totally agree with this.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I just wanted to say something about health care, I'm beyond greatful for Medicad. If it wasn't for that government program we would be about $70,000 in debt from Keira's cancer.

They've paid for everything, the surgery alone to remove her her tumor was $60,000, chemo is $1000 a pop, she has 10 visits left.

I find myself smack dab in the middle on most issues, but when it comes to health care, I think we all should get it. Don't care how you slice it. As far as other things, I hate how Welfare and things like that get misused, our taxes should be spent better, there are a lot of problems with our government, but there are a lot of good things too.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
anyway..yes. and this is yet another problem. Tightening regulations even further because of those who abuse the system would just hurt more and more families... and otoh- your statement, unfortunately, is what a lot of people DO do. Manipulating the system, once again. I understand why there are guidelines. I understand if you make 52 dollars too much you don't get it the end... But no child, should be without insurance. I think that all children- should be covered... and all working adults should have a means to obtain Affordable insurance. I don't think it should just be a blanket system..
Totally agree. This is where we couldn't get state insurance either when we applied.......it was less than $200 away from not qualifying. When I said we made too much money.......it doesn't mean that we are rolling in the dough! LOL That is when we really had to make some hard decisions. Since I am a SAHM we sold a car and bought a very cheap car with cash just so we could pay our insurance premiums. I know that there are many in the same boat that you are in and I totally agree that it completley sucks. This is why I think it is horrible that people are on it that don't NEED it, they just find it as an easy way out of working.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:56 PM

profile gallery send pm

This is such an interesting thread. And, I love that we can have a respectful discussion here.

About state taxes going up if we had more local control . . . I thought the exact same thing. People would have to get on board with paying more state taxes. But, I feel the same way as a PP said. I wouldn't mind paying a little more if I knew it would be used well.

And, you are also right La, that if we gave more control to state/local governments, there would need to be a massive overhaul in the way we elect our representatives, the way things are regulated, etc. It would be a HUGE shift. But, in my dream world, that's still the way it would be because I really do believe that state/local leaders know better how to deal with their problems.

I do think that we need a strong federal government for certain things - like the military. I'm definitely not for getting rid of the feds entirely. I just wish my voice was heard more. And, the way things are right now, it sounds like we all feel that way. The system is broken. But, I also feel really grateful to live in this country. Our flawed system is still the best one out there IMO.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:11 PM

profile gallery send pm

Oh - and another thing I thought of . . .

To a lot of people, issues like abortion and gay marriage, are moral issues. So people who are opposed to them are opposed to them on moral grounds and it doesn't really have anything to do with big or small government. They will be opposed to them no matter what and no matter where. And, if they have to use the federal system to get the laws they want, then they probably will try to do that. Maybe that's a little hypocritical if someone says they want smaller government but still wants federal regulation on particular issues. But, I think we all agree that the federal government does have its place, and everyone will have different opinions about where that place is.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:24 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post
Oh - and another thing I thought of . . .

To a lot of people, issues like abortion and gay marriage, are moral issues. So people who are opposed to them are opposed to them on moral grounds and it doesn't really have anything to do with big or small government. They will be opposed to them no matter what and no matter where. And, if they have to use the federal system to get the laws they want, then they probably will try to do that. Maybe that's a little hypocritical if someone says they want smaller government but still wants federal regulation on particular issues. But, I think we all agree that the federal government does have its place, and everyone will have different opinions about where that place is.
I'm going to try to keep my response as toned down as possible ^_^
I think it is highly hypocritical- just as i think it's hypocritical to rant that obama isn't "doing more" when you ask for less government the day before. I think ....
what it boils down to is what amanda said- that it's about trust and having a voice-- NOT imo (not amandas here lol) specifically, more or less government/regulation. I think everyone wants the government there to do .. what they want it to do. Whatever that may be.
I do think. In general however. That morals are a messy thing to mix into politics... There are those that will argue that...... murder is illegal because it is morally wrong- and therefore my argument is mute. (moot? it doesn't matter lol). I disagree. Laws are there to protect the citizens of a country. Not to impose morals. It's morally wrong to cheat on your spouse- but it is not a punishable crime by mans laws (in our country). Mans laws, are there to protect the citizens from harm inflicted by other citizens. Stealing, physical harm, i'm losing my train of thought crap... lol.. This is why I accept Kellie's argument against abortion. She believes abortion is murder- she sees a fetus as a person. She sees it as harming another person- therefore this is not a moral issue- this is a protection issue to her.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:47 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I am a republican for moral/religious views. That being said does not mean I only
vote for republican candidates.

As for as more or less government...I say let's make the agencies and programs work more efficiently. I know some probably do and have a hard time getting funding..and funding is hard to get from taxes or wherever it comes from in a time of recession and job loss. Another thing that runs our budgets and debt into the red is the pork barrel politics...of sure I will vote for this or that if you give me/my state/or cause x amount of dollars. This is both parties. What happened to just voting on an bill to get the greater good. Pipe Dreams, huh? But ya's know what I mean.
That's just my little 2 cents.
Great thread BTW!!!
Old 05-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balinda View Post
I am a republican for moral/religious views. That being said does not mean I only
vote for republican candidates.

As for as more or less government...I say let's make the agencies and programs work more efficiently. I know some probably do and have a hard time getting funding..and funding is hard to get from taxes or wherever it comes from in a time of recession and job loss. Another thing that runs our budgets and debt into the red is the pork barrel politics...of sure I will vote for this or that if you give me/my state/or cause x amount of dollars. This is both parties. What happened to just voting on an bill to get the greater good. Pipe Dreams, huh? But ya's know what I mean.
That's just my little 2 cents.
Great thread BTW!!!
YES!!!!! I vote based on my views too but that doesn't always mean republican. Also on that note.......I know Christianity isn't everyone's view. I am strongly convicted by my views though. So I would HAVE to vote with that in mind just to stand by my beliefs. I don't judge others by their choices in their life........we all make decisions, good and bad, and have to live with the consequences of those actions. It is not up to me to decide for others. I do have to go with my "gut" and convictions though. I don't live a perfect life and I do make mistakes. I just try to be the best person I can be and show God's love and grace to others. I just hate that there are many "christians" claiming to be doing "God's work" in hate and making it hard for others to live their lives. There is no reason for hateful things to be said or done to others that I don't agree with their views or lifestyle or choices. I am not one of "those".

Also, YES on programs need to run more efficiently. Not only will that cause less head ache for those seeking assistance but it will also save our great country MAJOR dollars! What a concept. It sounds easy doesn't it? I wish I understood how this is not happening. It just seems like common sense to me.

I love this thread. I am so glad that we are all adults and can have a healthy discussion on even political matters! SSD is the best! Thank you ladies for being part of this awesome network! I just love it here!
Old 05-30-2010, 03:07 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Agreed. Totally. The Government stepping in to protect a life to me is valid.

And I think preaching small government and walking a different walk to promote legislation that protects neither life or liberty of US citizens is hypocritical.

Last edited by krystalhartley; 05-30-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:31 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I was going to add that my little sister and I used to argue...

We were both married with little girls, but I was 24 when I had Avery, and she was just 19. She was still in school, and her husband waited tables and various other things for income. My husband was a salaried white collar worker, and I was a SAHM.

We would constantly argue over democrat vs. republican view on things regarding size of government, welfare, healthcare, etc. She leaned liberal, and I leaned conservative. It was hilarious to me that later, when her husband landed a regular job and they bought a house, etc. that she started to see my point of view more. She finally "got" what I had been trying to say to her. She really adjusted her perspective from a young, kind-hearted, peace-love-and-happiness kind of thing to someone who was paying lots of taxes and working her butt off while friends would continue to abuse the system with their 6 kids, living on gov't funds to go to school and using it to buy fully-loaded minivans and plasma TVs, etc. And then the argument comes full circle to a discussion about how it's just not working...yes people need help, but there has got to be a better way. Just nobody has the answer.

This is very anecdotal and I know millions of women who were in my shoes who still would lean / are liberal in regards to the role of government. I also know that there are millions of women who want a smaller government but have compassion in their hearts and just accept that what we have to make the most of what we have...even if it's not a perfect system. We gripe and complain as we see system abuses, money wasted...but we don't have any answers. Even if we had a brilliant idea, the liklihood of it being implemented isn't very good. Newton's Law and all that.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:31 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

This is also however, why i think large government- when applied properly (erm)- is important. Because we need regulation w/ the greedy companies.. We need regulation to protect our children- to keep them safe, to ensure they are getting an education, to ensure they are getting health care.. etc... and I'm not sure how to balance that. I think- at the base- our government system is awesome. Checks and balances and all that. We just need a reset button.
Okay but WHO is going to regulate the greedy companies? Greedy congressmen and senators. No thanks. My dad is a very honest and well respected local politician, and he says that to get to that level, you HAVE to have sold out somewhere...and have to be willing to sell out a lot more places to stay there.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
But no child, should be without insurance. I think that all children- should be covered... and all working adults should have a means to obtain Affordable insurance. I don't think it should just be a blanket system..
This I completely agree with and it's already that way in my state, and has been since I moved here. The only problem I see is the word "affordable". Who is going to define what that means and how can we truthfully define it for everyone? Every situation is unique so there has to be some limitations set up and in doing so what is affordable for you might not be affordable for me. I don't know how we ever get past that.

What scares me about gov't run healthcare is that I work in healthcare. I see what happens to hospitals and clinics when the govt is reimbursing vs. a commercial ins. carrier. It bites! I'm scared that more drs. won't be able to keep their practices open because reimbursements will go down. You can't run a hospital or clinic on just medicare/medicaid patients because the gov't reimbursements are way too low.

As far as taxes, I don't mind when my local taxes get raised as much because I know where that money is going. On the local level my taxes get raised for a specific purpose: better roads, improve the local school system, etc. On the national level taxes are just raised because the gov't needs more money. Well honestly, with the national deficit, that's just not good enough for me. My state and local govt budgets are balanced (hasn't always been that way here on the state level, but we've had a good Dem. gov. who helped us and I feel has done a pretty good job the last 8 years and yes, I'm pretty much a Republican on the national level). My household budget is balanced. I have a huge problem with the national govt not doing anything I can see to try to rectify the situation except keep asking for more money. To me they can't manage what they already have and I don't feel like they'll be able to manage any more in any better way. So until I see the govt (both sides, I don't really trust politicians of any party) cutting back a little themselves and trying to set things right, I have a huge problem with them wanting more of my money that I have worked hard to get. And this is how I feel about "bigger government". I guess it all boils down to the fact that I don't trust "Washington" at all. I think they all say what they think we want to hear and then do what fits their own personal agenda. I keep a very close eye on how my federal Congressman are voting.

I didn't mean to go on so long. Hope that sounded ok and didn't offend anyone. Ducking out of the way now.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Okay but WHO is going to regulate the greedy companies? Greedy congressmen and senators. No thanks. My dad is a very honest and well respected local politician, and he says that to get to that level, you HAVE to have sold out somewhere...and have to be willing to sell out a lot more places to stay there.
I think that's part of why we in the US desperately need campaign reform. We've created the monster we detest. When it costs so much money to get elected we really limit the pool as well as create the perfect environment for the shady relationships and revolving door practices between government and big business. Even at the local level it's gotten to be way out of kilter.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci Reed View Post

I like the stance that it's not really "less government" but rather local government, though in that case we might as well just split up into 50 countries, which I'm not opposed to haha.
See I agree with you here...but I am not a republican, I am heavy liberal. I have never truly gotten the entire state's rights thing. If we are to be a unified country than there are unified laws that we need to have an a unified government that controls them.

If we allowed all the power to go back to the individual states I think we'd see a pretty interesting map emerge. The entire middle of the country would abolish abortion rights, allow excess guns and would ban gay marriage. The perimeter would be the opposite.

At that point why be a unified country?