Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm
Default I think VBS is gonna kill me...

..but it's awesome!

I haven't taught it in a few years, and am starting back up this year. The boys and girls are great, Connor is one of my helpers, I've got an awesome co-teacher, and it's fun...but man...it's gonna KILL me!

I need a nap!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ours starts next week, so I'll be feeling your pain. However, I told our children's director that I needed a special assignment since teaching kids is definitely not my forte. I'm doing registration, assorted other computer stuff, and taking photos for the end of the week slideshow, so hopefully that will work out better all the way around.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It can be exhausting..for some reason a few years ago our church started having it at night which I really don't like..I mean to me VBS should be in the morning when everyone is fresh and ready to go.

I'm not teaching this year...it's scheduled for right in the middle of Brian's leave..so they knew not to even ask me this year lol

Old 06-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

We did ours last week, and I can say that I felt how you feel now. LOL. Mind you, I was in a room of one-year olds...so we just touched on the curriculum. But I was beat when I got home every day.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I'm on staff at our church. I share an office with our children's director (I'm the adult ministries director) and this is the time of year when I look at her and say: "I'm so glad you're in charge of this and not me!" LOL This will actually be the first year in several where I"m not in charge of anything because we're leaving on vacation in the middle of the week. It's always fun, but always very exhausting!

And Nikki--I agree that I always thought VBS should be during the day, but we had to move ours about 10 years ago because no one wanted to help during the day. So rather than scrap it altogether we compromised. But by the end of the week, I've had it!!
Old 06-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I miss helping out at VBS. The year I was in charge of the whole 3-5 age group did me in for a while!! Maybe it is time I help out again.

The boys are going to go to VBS next month at my parent's church and are very excited!!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I helped out when I was in high school. I remember making a broom guy (I forget which one it was, maybe Noah) with the kids. It was fun. I can see why they would do it at night, working parents.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I so feel you! I taught a 2nd grade class a couple of years ago at VBS and thought it was going to kill me! Loved the kids and had a great time overall but I was clearly not made to teach elementary school aged kids. Love how the Lord likes to stretch us like that!!

This year we are going to help a church planter do a VBS in his new location. It will be at night and our director organized it so that we will each teach only one lesson - to a different group of kids each night and then we'll accompany that group of kids through the various activities. I think it will be fun!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

Ours is at night too. I'd much prefer daytime!

Good luck Darcy!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like it when VBS is at night because then my husband can come along and enjoy seeing what the kids have been doing too. In the town where we used to live, all the churches would have VBS at night and they would arrange it so that they didn't fall on the same week. That was really nice because you could send your kids to VBS at a neighboring church and recuperate from your own and it was a small enough town you would know the other families. Also, they would have a night where they would have a bonfire and roast marshmallows at one of the churches! Fun!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:53 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Ours is during the daytime which I definitely prefer, and then we have a huge carnival on Thursday night that's free to the community - and they have a special preview of the service for all of the families so the parents can see what has been going on all week long.