Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2023, 07:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Keeping Layouts

Do you keep all of the layouts you've created?

Do you keep unflattened copies of them?

I recently deleted 100's and 100's of pages were created more than 10 years ago. Now, looking back, wish I would have kept them and just updated them with more recent kits. (Many of my pages have journaling on them, so am afraid I lost some great memories once I deleted them!)

I keep unflattened copies of my layouts in a separate file folder from the finished copies.
Old 12-12-2023, 08:26 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I don't typically keep the .psd file unless it's something that I think I might need to edit. I don't delete layouts but I'm sure there are quite a few layouts that are older that I never had printed.

Old 12-12-2023, 09:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I keep all my jpg pages, and print them when I have enough for a book. I don't tend to keep layered files as they take up too much hard drive space. I don't care if my older pages aren't as good as my more recent ones - the memory is documented and that's all that matters. I'm a slow scrapper, so I just don't see myself going back and redoing pages either.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I only keep flattened images. The 700x700px are in the folder of the kit I used and if I plan on printing them, I save the full 3600x3600px size in a separate folder reserved for printing. I print my own 8x8 pages.

Old 12-12-2023, 11:39 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I have my layered images for most of my layouts. I am missing some of the older ones that were kept on an EHD that died. These days I have all my older layered files on multiple EHD's and only keep the most recent (last 3 or 4 years) on my hard drive.

A couple years ago I did a companion layout to one I had done about 10 or 12 years ago. I actually wanted to use the layered file and switch out the photos but it was one that got lost. I also no longer had some of the papers and elements used on the layout as I had done a purge of freebies at one time. So instead of matching pages of the 2 boys Naval portraits (they are cousins and both served in the early 2000's), I have 2 layouts that are as close as I could get.
Old 12-12-2023, 11:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I keep everything on an EHD.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I keep everything, tif file, jpg, the 700x700 and the one with watermark, all of it, on an ehd.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:37 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I keep the flattened tif file and the 700x700 jpg on an EHD.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:46 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I keep the psd until the layout goes for printing, mostly in case I notice an error or need to make a change when I'm organizing layouts into the photobook. After the book is printed, I delete the layered copy and save the flattened one.

I save the flattened versions forever. I want them backed up in case something ever happens to my printed copies, and I also want the ability to reprint. For example, when my oldest left for college last year he wanted me to make him 1 photobook to take with him, something that spanned his first 18 years and included all the most important moments for our family. If I'd had to start fresh and scrap 100+ pages for the book, I'd never have finished!
Old 12-13-2023, 08:25 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I print almost all of my LOs, so I "keep" them in physical form. I do keep all JPG copies of all LOs in full, 12x12/3600x3600 size. I don't keep TIFFs(or unflattened) copies, but I will make templates out of pages I made that I like the look of.

Jill, how long ago did you delete stuff? Like, is it still in your trash, or could it be found in a recovery? Perhaps getting an EHD just for those files would be nice, so you have them but they're not all on your HD (if that's where they were)?
Old 12-13-2023, 10:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I keep the psd and the flattened file backed up on a couple of external hard drives. I print all of my layouts, but I like to keep the files just in case.

Old 12-13-2023, 10:45 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I keep the flattened ones, but as soon as I print an album, I purge the layered files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
Do you keep all of the layouts you've created?

Do you keep unflattened copies of them?

I recently deleted 100's and 100's of pages were created more than 10 years ago. Now, looking back, wish I would have kept them and just updated them with more recent kits. (Many of my pages have journaling on them, so am afraid I lost some great memories once I deleted them!)

I keep unflattened copies of my layouts in a separate file folder from the finished copies.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:54 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't keep the layered files. I don't see the need to go back and fix things. As much OCD I have, I have always felt, that the "small mistakes" in journaling etc were the "human" touches I was adding to a digital page.

Thinking back to old photo albums and things when I was growing up where there would be a name crossed out or a wrong date, those were human mistakes, and me trying to make my digital pages perfect was missing that human touch so to speak.

So I only keep the print ready layout. I keep them forever, even after I print, in case I want to print an album for a grand parent or if I ever have to print that album again.

I do have a ton of CT pages, or just simply pretty pages that I don't think I will ever print, that I haven't decided what to do with just yet.

Old 12-13-2023, 02:30 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I also only save mine at 8x8 because that's what I've always printed

Old 12-13-2023, 02:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree City View Post
I print almost all of my LOs, so I "keep" them in physical form. I do keep all JPG copies of all LOs in full, 12x12/3600x3600 size. I don't keep TIFFs(or unflattened) copies, but I will make templates out of pages I made that I like the look of.

Jill, how long ago did you delete stuff? Like, is it still in your trash, or could it be found in a recovery? Perhaps getting an EHD just for those files would be nice, so you have them but they're not all on your HD (if that's where they were)?
It's been awhile, so they are gone, gone. I actually did have them all on an EHD, and was "cleaning house" when I decided to delete them. Lesson learned - lol.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I keep the tif file in the folder with the photos. I have a separate "ready to print" folder for the flattened images. I should go back and delete layouts that I have updated (re-scrapped), but haven't taken the time to do it.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:32 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Jill, might some of those layouts still be in the galleries where you posted or FB or Instagram posts?

I keep all my layouts thus far. I think I have deleted 2 or 3, and they were what I call "dumb" layouts - layouts done for challenges just so I could get a freebie or something. LOL They meant nothing - at all.

What I need to do is make 3600x3600 jpg versions of all my layouts, in case I want to print them, and then delete the unflattened files. I have kept the PSDs and TIFs just in case I need/want to change something, which I'm glad I did, because there's one that I made in 2009 that I printed last year, and the journaling needs to be lightened - it was very difficult to read. I've been trying to do layouts in TIF, and they are much smaller than PSDs.

I started scrapbooking because I wanted to journal. I can't see myself throwing out any layouts that have journaling regarding an event or moment or certain thoughts. I probably would throw out stuff like Top Ten Lists, Resolutions, stuff like that.
Old 12-13-2023, 05:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I only keep the flattened layout to print. I have many old layouts that haven't been printed yet, but I am way behind and can't see redoing THAT many pages! I have redone a few here and there, but not large amounts! My albums show how my scrapping styles has changed, and I'm ok with that!

Even when I rescrap a layout, I keep both of them to see which one I like better in the album when I'm ready to print. I've even used a couple as front or back covers (that didn't make it into the album as repeats), or as an extra filler page at the back of the album.

Also, having 4 girls, I have the option to someday print multiple copies of albums for us all to have one. With different rescrapped pages, I may like one for one girl, but not for another. Who knows if/when we will get to this point, but I keep as much as I can Layout wise, because you never know!
Old 12-13-2023, 06:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I keep it all. There's just not a reason to delete it, to me. My EHD is huge, and I'm not paying for backup space anymore, so if it brings me some comfort to have the layered files, I'm going to do it.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I keep them all... lol. I print into books, so I will keep the flatten ones in case I need to print again. I also have kept the layered ones because I've had flatten ones be of low quality (from 15years ago) and want to re flatten at higher res. I wouldn't go back and redo them because I have way too many pages to scrap yet... just in pulling memories off FB - I have 542 in progress pages, haha.
Old 12-13-2023, 08:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It's so interesting to learn other's thoughts and habits as to keeping layouts and layered files!
Old 12-13-2023, 10:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I keep a flattened 3600x3600 jpg, and the 700x700 jpg that I put into my Mac Photos so it syncs to my phone (that's where I track credits too). I like to print my pages but haven't recently (I print 8x8 and put in albums by year)

Old 12-14-2023, 10:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hi my name is Kimberly and I am a digital hoarder. I keep the TIFF layered file and the larger jpg...now I will delete the 700x700 version once I put it in the galleries. I am bad about printing...I am hoping now that I am working and my income will be "extra" then I can get more printed.