Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg
Default ~Little Earthquakes-Discussion *May Contain Spoilers*~

Feel free to discuss as you read/finish reading

I just reread this one (for like the 4thish time) still so good!

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 06-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Finished this book last week - really really enjoyed it! And it totally reminded me of what I have in store for me in a few months....ugh! I'm not looking forward to the lack of sleep!

Old 06-24-2011, 03:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I deeply disliked the book and I suspect I might be alone in this. :-)

When I was still fuming, I wrote this review over at GoodReads. It's long, so I didn't want to post it here all, still I think I have some questions to ask later, because some of the things that seemed unreal to me might be very much real overseas. :-)

Old 06-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I enjoyed this book too.

I agree that alot of the situations & characters were a little contrived, but that I think made what is essentially a novel about how NOT wonderful having a new baby can be more acceptable to most people.

There were lots of situations that I could identify with: the lonliness, total fatigue, trying to figure out how to have a shower before lunch, the constant worry about doing the right thing, breastfeeding in public, and definitely feeling unable to admitting when things aren't going well... the list goes on.

Making some of the situations/ people more glossy or funny than they would be in real life made it a much easier book to read and enjoy, whilst still being able to identifying with lots of what the characters went through - good and the bad.

I was actually pleased at the large numbers of references to breastfeeding in the book - its such a fundamental part of having a new baby, and it really really did feel like it took up most of my day! BFing a child after the first couple of weeks has become not the normal thing to do over here now - and doing it in public is parctically a social disgrace. There is a big movement over here to make it more socially/ publically acceptable, but it will take time to overcome our Victorian attitude.

Negatives? I did feel it a little long in places, particularly with respect to Ayinde, and sex during the first months after childbirth???? Yeah right

Last edited by livelys; 06-28-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was totally pleased with a book that decides to take a look at the less rosy side of motherhood. I think it's a good, realistic concept.

What quibbled me most was the way it was written - for me it was all about telling and not showing. That's pretty much bad writing in my book. It wasn't an un-enjoyable read (I wouldn't have finished it if it was), but there is a difference between enjoyable and good and I do think she ruined the book's potential. It could have been memorable, but this way it's just another chick lit summer read that is forgotten once you close the book (for me, that is, I'm pretty much aware other people loved it, which is fine - they're the happy ones.)

Old 06-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I didn't love it, but it was a ok read.

I will admit that it reminded me how hard the first few months with a new baby can be and that Becky's MIL reminded me of mine. Seriously...eek.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Barrette View Post
I didn't love it, but it was a ok read.

I will admit that it reminded me how hard the first few months with a new baby can be and that Becky's MIL reminded me of mine. Seriously...eek.
Oh. Did she? Ouch. I thought her MIL was overblown, but I was aware that I have to be careful when judging that part, because there really are all sorts of weird people out there. Still... *shudders*

Old 06-29-2011, 03:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So my questions...

1. Is breastfeeding really such an issue in the US? I mean - almost every mother tries to b/f, but sometimes it just doesn't work out, and that's ok as well. But having to watch your baby so that your MIL doesn't force a bottle on her, or having to explain it to people all the time seemed out of this world for me. But I admit I don't know the situation everywhere. All I know is that my friends who are mothers didn't have any such issues and never made a fuss about it - it just seemed like such a natural thing. We talked about it, but was never an "issue" the way it was in the book.

2. Another thing - when Ayinde said to the other wives of sportsmen that she was just mother, was it really so weird? Here on the forum I see so many women who are "just" mothers (I don't think it's a just, BTW, it's as much a demanding job as sitting in an office - even more demanding as it's 24/24) that it made me wonder if people really are this unadjusted to stay-at-home mums.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

We've come a long way on the breastfeeding thing but some still find it very uncomfortable to be around. Most employers have lactation rooms now. If in a hotel you can take your milk to the front desk if no frig in your room and they will put it in a frig/freezer for you to pick up next day. However, bf in public is still not that common. As for families, yes the bottle thing can be an issue still. My gf went through that with her mom who just didn't understand why she wouldn't allow them to give bottles as supplements so they didn't have to deal with the breastmilk. It caused some family rows.

As for "just a mother" I was a little surprised by that. We have a huge population of white collar job husbands with stay at home moms in some of the more affluent areas where I am. Being able to stay home with the kids for them is almost a status symbol. My sil and cousin's wife are in that group. They are PTA presidents, involved in every charity, and are very positive in groups that they "get" to stay home and spend times with their kids. So I did have a little difficulty relating to this piece. Maybe it depends on where you live? Not sure.