Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69
Default Passing your scrapbooks on question...

so for those of you that do books (I do these alot, print single pages to put on the wall)....do you
1. do a book for each child and then yourself?
2. do you save their books to give them when they leave home?
3. do you just do family books?
4. if you do hybrid, do you ever plan on passing those books down and how would you decide who got what?

I ask this beacuse I have a seperate folder for each of my kids for digital lo's...other than my oldest daughter, most of the kids have never really seen any of them....so I picked up some print credits when persnicity had a sale and I am now thinking I want to start printing all of their pages (12x12) and start placing them in albums and give them to my kids on their wedding days to be displayed at the reception.....or give to them on graduation day.....or the day they move out....(haven't really decided)....I also considered giving them each a 12x12 album this year for Christmas (with LO's) and then every so often print some and add to their books so they can have them now....

and ideas? just wanted to see what everyone else might do

BTW: I have already picked up 2 of BH PL Albums and love them!!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I print LOs for us to enjoy now. I get 1 copy of each LO and put it into the family album for that year. (I used to do 1 album per child every year, but it was expensive to print so many duplicates and my kids have more fun looking through albums that feature all of them.)

I figure that one of the nice things about digiscrapping is that I can save the files and decide later what makes sense. While *I* love every layout, I can't see my kids wanting to take 18 albums with them when they leave home. I've got a while to decide since my oldest isn't even 10 yet, but for now my plan is to wait until they're leaving home, then print them a couple of photobooks filled with the LOs I think they'd most enjoy having. Who knows...if they're interested, maybe I'd be able to let them choose which ones. Then I'll give them all the rest in a digital format.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I print all of my pages in one annual book, which I give to grandparents. I do not separate out pages by subject. They are mostly arrange chronologically, but it's not a perfect science for me. I do, however, only print pages featuring me in the version I print for myself I've never planned to give the kids copies of the books.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I print LOs for us to enjoy now. I get 1 copy of each LO and put it into the family album for that year. (I used to do 1 album per child every year, but it was expensive to print so many duplicates and my kids have more fun looking through albums that feature all of them.)

I figure that one of the nice things about digiscrapping is that I can save the files and decide later what makes sense. While *I* love every layout, I can't see my kids wanting to take 18 albums with them when they leave home. I've got a while to decide since my oldest isn't even 10 yet, but for now my plan is to wait until they're leaving home, then print them a couple of photobooks filled with the LOs I think they'd most enjoy having. Who knows...if they're interested, maybe I'd be able to let them choose which ones. Then I'll give them all the rest in a digital format.
I kinda of do this already with how I save them....I do save LO's I think they will all love to have down the road in EACH of their own folders along with LO's about just them My oldest DD (20) is very very protective of hers lol!!!! Her Senior album was 1 12x12 book with 136 pages It didn't have everything, but I tried to include somethineg from every year
Old 10-08-2013, 12:38 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Since I only have 2 kids, I do photobooks for each of them. If I do a page that is about both of them, then they each get a copy in their books. depending on how much I scrap, and who I print with, they get between 1 and 3 albums each per year. I create them separately because I intend them to take their albums with them when they leave home.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:27 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I create them separately because I intend them to take their albums with them when they leave home.
yes this is what I want to do and I know they will love and cheris them no matter where they go in life. And honestly, who DOESN't love to take a look back in albums...I would do that at everybody' house I went to if they let me
Old 10-08-2013, 04:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Since I started scrapping when Cheyanne was born I haven't done albums for Christopher so I only have to think about her. I have about 20 paper scrapbook albums and then when I switched to digi I started doing an annual photo book. I intend to hang onto them for quite a few years and then eventually they will be given to her but not when she first leaves home. She doesn't need to be hauling them off to college and then even after college she probably won't have them until she's finally settled into a fairly permanent home.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:21 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I only do family books. The boys can decide what to do with them when I pass on. I have all of my layouts on file in the computer and on backup that they can make copies of things they both want. It's one reason why I don't do printed books as opposed to the individual pages.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do a book per kid per year. They can get big lol but I like them in one yearly volume. Kinda like a family yearbook. The book contains any LOs done pertaining to them, and if it is a family thing or multiple sibling thing who ever is in the LO gets copies of it and if it is about hubby and I they get a few of those so they have memories of mom and dad as well. The AAM ones I keep separate and some day will have printed when there is enough of them.

When they move out mine are not getting them... I am going to wait til they are married or possible have kids because I think they will be appreciated more at that age and taken better care of.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I print a family book and intend to print books for each kid as well--with the pages they are in. Maybe not all of them--maybe just the favorites. I don't know. I have 2 books for 2 of my girls already printed from years ago and they both absolutely LOVE them. My 6 year old has read hers cover to cover a handful of times. They practically beg for more.

Since I am so behind, I am going to try and do 2011-2013 all in one and keep some pages out if I need to.

They love them so much and it brings me so much joy to see their excitement as they read about themselves--our own little family history.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not stressing it. If my stepkids want copies, I've got all the digital pages saved so I can print more for them. As for if we have any kids that want copies...well, that's at least 19 years down the line and who knows what technology will be like at that point.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've just got the family album printed. They can sort it out later if they want to. I'm not organized enough about how I scrap, so adding another layer if complexity would just keep me from doing the part I love.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've got albums for each of the boys. Big HUGE multiple albums with both paper and digi layouts in them. They are mostly chronological. I started this way and will keep going this way. The only exception is that I've done "Athlete" albums for them. All of them have played sports their whole lives and it's kind of fun to see all of those sports in the same book. That being said, I only have DS2's up to date.

The boys will get them when they have an established home, if they want them then. Otherwise, I will keep them until I'm gone, then they will get them.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do mini albums, and they're usually affordable. Right now, I don't have the space to order a duplicate of each mini album and store it (Zach is only 2-- I have a LONG time before he'll want his own copy, and I know I want copies for me even after he leaves the nest!)... for now, I print the one for us to share. When and if I have any other kids, I'll have to plan a new strategy, but this works for me right now, to just do the one copy. Later, he can decide if he wants me to print separate copies, or I can decide just to let him have the copy we have, or whatever...

I think my answer would be different if I did a big album... but like I said, I just do mini albums (for example, I did vacation, a summer overview, I'm working on a fall album right now, probably a December album... and then each year, I do at least 1, but sometimes 2, albums of just random layouts that I've done that don't mesh with an album). The mini books are so much easier for us to display on a little shelf and enjoy often, or pack up and take to show the relatives the newest books... so... hard to answer what I'd do if I did a big album!

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 10-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I plan on keeping up with my family album that I print as a photo book and a book per year per kid. Of course, I don't have children yet, so I may be dreaming. lol. I don't think I will ship off my 17 year old with all there books though. I think I will keep them until I know they will be taken care of. That time will probably be different for each child.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. No
2. No
3. Yes
4. Keira will get my albums went I'm dead & gone! Lol! I only have one girl & she is the oldest. I do save all my pages, so if the boys wanted copies, I could do them.
For now Keira will be my memory keeper.,

And I'm a chronological scrapper/printer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
so for those of you that do books (I do these alot, print single pages to put on the wall)....do you
1. do a book for each child and then yourself?
2. do you save their books to give them when they leave home?
3. do you just do family books?
4. if you do hybrid, do you ever plan on passing those books down and how would you decide who got what?

I ask this beacuse I have a seperate folder for each of my kids for digital lo's...other than my oldest daughter, most of the kids have never really seen any of them....so I picked up some print credits when persnicity had a sale and I am now thinking I want to start printing all of their pages (12x12) and start placing them in albums and give them to my kids on their wedding days to be displayed at the reception.....or give to them on graduation day.....or the day they move out....(haven't really decided)....I also considered giving them each a 12x12 album this year for Christmas (with LO's) and then every so often print some and add to their books so they can have them now....

and ideas? just wanted to see what everyone else might do

BTW: I have already picked up 2 of BH PL Albums and love them!!!!

Last edited by nesser1981; 10-08-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

LOL I only have one kid so this shouldn't be an issue

But with my grandma's older family photo albums, we've been scanning in all of the photos and putting them on disk for various family members to have.