Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2022, 12:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Curious Question

I am curious
Do you start with a kit or collection and then search through your photos to scrap
OR
Do you have specific photos to scrap and then search for a kit or collection?
Old 12-11-2022, 12:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It depends on the purpose of my page. If it's a CT/Babe page, then I start with the kit I want to use and look for photos. If it's just for me or a non-new release page, then I'll start with my photos and look for a kit! Sometimes I know right away how I want to use a kit, and sometimes I need to think about it and look through photos for a loooooong time!

Old 12-11-2022, 01:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Always start from a kit or template then look for photos since I scrap for my CT designers.
Old 12-11-2022, 01:21 PM
Banned

profile gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
It depends on the purpose of my page. If it's a CT/Babe page, then I start with the kit I want to use and look for photos. If it's just for me or a non-new release page, then I'll start with my photos and look for a kit! Sometimes I know right away how I want to use a kit, and sometimes I need to think about it and look through photos for a loooooong time!
This is me, too! I swear I spend more time looking through photos than actually scrapping!
Old 12-11-2022, 01:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
This is me as well.

Old 12-11-2022, 03:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For me it depends. I have a project that I am working on so I have the photos then kit. I also have a folder of kits that I bought but haven't used yet so sometimes I will randomly pic one and look for pics for the kit...Just depends on my mood really! LOL
Old 12-11-2022, 03:44 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I'm not on a CT so I start with photos, choose template then kit.
Old 12-11-2022, 04:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Depends on the project - a lot of mine are CT layouts so I'm either starting with a kit or a template, then I find pics to match. When I want to scrap & have no CT commitments to complete- then I often dig back to OOOOOLLLLDDD pics that need to be done & try to get some of those scrapped!
Old 12-11-2022, 04:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with what everyone else is saying: if I'm using a CT product, I start with that and look for photos.

BUT IF I'M JUST SCRAPPING FOR MYSELF, I'M CERTAIN TO SPEND HOURS AND HOURS LOOKING FOR THE RIGHT TEMPLATE AND KIT!
Old 12-11-2022, 05:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

As a CT scrapper, it's always the product first.
And for the most part I've stuck to that even when I'm just playing in my stash.

Old 12-11-2022, 05:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't join CTs anymore because I switched to scrapping somewhat chronologically (a 6 month period at a time, but within that I jump around) and often can't make that work with CT requirements. So 95% of the time I start with photos. Once in a while I have a new kit or template that I really want to use and start there, but most of the time even my new kits are purchased with specific photos in mind.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't had the opportunity to CT for any of the wonderful designers here so I generally only purchase kits and templates that I know I will use with the photos that I have.

Old 12-11-2022, 09:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When I'm scrapping for CT, I start with a template and find photos to go with it, then pick a kit. When I'm scrapping for myself, I start with photos, look for a template, then kit.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:11 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Like others, if it is for a CT page, of course I start with the product.
I joined a few CTs early in my digiscrapping career: that led me to scrap based on the kits instead of on any type of chronological order of my photos. A couple years ago I left many of my CT positions--not because I didn't want to scrap for the designer or site, but rather because I wanted to narrow my scrapping focus. I had scrapped so many of the photos I needed to scrap that now I wanted to focus on specific ones that were less CT-page-scrappable (if that makes sense). I needed to start scrapping based on event and not on kit. CT pages make that tough, so it felt like it was the responsible move to leave many of my CT positions.
Wow, this reply seems more based on CT stuff then on kit or photo stuff LOL, but for me the question is quite intertwined with CT obligations.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:36 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree City View Post
Like others, if it is for a CT page, of course I start with the product.
I joined a few CTs early in my digiscrapping career: that led me to scrap based on the kits instead of on any type of chronological order of my photos. A couple years ago I left many of my CT positions--not because I didn't want to scrap for the designer or site, but rather because I wanted to narrow my scrapping focus. I had scrapped so many of the photos I needed to scrap that now I wanted to focus on specific ones that were less CT-page-scrappable (if that makes sense). I needed to start scrapping based on event and not on kit. CT pages make that tough, so it felt like it was the responsible move to leave many of my CT positions.
Wow, this reply seems more based on CT stuff then on kit or photo stuff LOL, but for me the question is quite intertwined with CT obligations.
Totally understand! Same thing for me. I've actually gone back and scrapped more photos from events that I had scrapped 1 photo for a CT layout. Thankfully because I kept all those kits I could keep the continuity of the event. I'm like that... event pages must match!

I actually enjoy scrapping "my way" and not to requirements these days. If a challenge doesn't fit my vision for a layout, I don't do it. And CT requirements would probably not fit my vision these days.
Old 12-12-2022, 10:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Both! For CT work, it's kit first and then figure out photos. But for challenges, I usually start with an "idea" first. Photos or a theme that fit the challenge. Then I get the photos, then a template and then the kit.
Old 12-12-2022, 11:33 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It's funny, but I think I actually work better when I have the added pressure of a Babe requirement. It stretches me outside my normal box and I have to find creative ways to use kits. When I can choose whatever I want, I find that I am often overwhelmed by too many choices, lol!

Old 12-12-2022, 01:18 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

-In the past, when I was on a CT, it was obviously kit first, photos second.
-Right now I'm working on a set album, so it's the 5-6 mix-and-match kits I'm using for that first, photos second, but it's because it's on a specific theme and I know that the kits will work with the selection of photos I'm going to be taking anyway.
-Otherwise it's usually photos first, kit second, and I'll usually pick papers and most elements (flowers etc) based on colors and overall vibe, then pull in specific elements I need otherwise, trying to match style as closely as I can. I'm not afraid to grab some pizzas or golf clubs or moving boxes from one kit and put them in a different layout, even if the colors aren't exact, as long as the style is and the overall tones of the colors are and it makes a cohesive image in the end! So when I AM pulling a kit, it's actually less by specific theme and more by what matches my photos the most... with specific themed items brought in from elsewhere later.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:27 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Most of my scrappin is CT based, so I start with the kit or template that I need to work with and search through my photos or beg my kids to let me take a staged photo of them.... LOL
Old 12-12-2022, 07:21 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I do either way. Sometimes I start with a photo and sometimes I start with a kit. Depends on what I am doing.
Old 12-12-2022, 10:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I do it both ways, but mainly start with the kit and then find the photos.

Old 12-13-2022, 02:09 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
It's funny, but I think I actually work better when I have the added pressure of a Babe requirement. It stretches me outside my normal box and I have to find creative ways to use kits. When I can choose whatever I want, I find that I am often overwhelmed by too many choices, lol!
This for me as well. If I do not scrap a babe layout, I get too overwhelmed with all the choices as well. And then I grab a kit that I have used over and over again because I know what is in the kit and I know how my layout will look in the end. If I do not do that I spend way too many hours looking for a kit. And I do not have that time right now.

Old 12-13-2022, 02:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It depends on the project I'm working on. I usually start with photos or an idea of what I want to scrap then find a kit and templates. If I have a specific story/project I'll find the kit, then see if I have any photos I can sneak into it.

Currently working on a family recipe book, so not many photos.
Old 12-14-2022, 09:30 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Typically I start with the photos, but sometimes there is a kit I'm just dying to use and I'll start there.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:34 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I do both as well.

CT pages, kit first.
Right now though I am trying to do our latest Disney trip, so pics first.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 12-19-2022, 01:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Honestly I do both, depends what is inspiring me at the time

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 12-20-2022, 03:15 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

When I'm on a CT/Guest CT, I'll start with the designer's kit or template and then choose photos. Otherwise, I choose the photo(s) that I want to scrap and then choose a kit - I'm almost always a one-kit scrapper.

I rarely do challenges anymore, because they tend to really limit me. I will say, though, that the Summer Scrap-A-Thon (and other SSD scrapping events) got me scrapping subjects that I never would have done on my own yet I loved the challenge; there were some that I really didn't care to do, though. I have tons and tons of kits and templates, so I have a lot to choose from, and I usually spend time thinking about which kit and/or template would ld be the best for the particular photos.