Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've been a SAHM since my son was born in 2006. I just love it. It really fulfilled a big empty place in my heart that being in the work-world couldn't provide.

Before that I have an electrical engineering degree. I worked in that field about 5 years. Then went to work for friends at an independent bookstore as a buyer. That was fun...spending other peoples money! I've also worked at a yoga/meditation ceneter doing office work, program development and teaching!

Once my son is in kindergarten I really want to do more volunteer work at our church!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a WAHM. I am fortunate enough to have started my own business, well its actually developed into 2 businesses now. LOL I do web/graphic design, and also have a professional photo printing business (need your layouts printed, anyone?). I also design some digital art, print it (on the previously mentioned printer), and mount it onto canvas. Lots of custom stuff. I love that I can stay at home with my kids, use my brain, and be creative!!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I spent 2 years after college teaching in the New Orleans public schools, and that was enough to convince me that I do not ever want to teach again. For the last forever I've been a SAHM, and I am very happy in this role. If we ever moved back to the States and I had to work, I'd want to work at Target. : ) Low stress is what i"m all about.

We also supervise an education project, and I handle the finances for it. I volunteer at another education project locally, but it's only twice a week.

Last edited by joelsgirl; 03-12-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I graduated from college with a degree in Accounting, but never worked in it. I became a programmer analyst for the electric/water utility here right after college - worked there 15 years. During that 15 years, I had my first child but kept working, telecommuting from home. Had second child, kept working, telecommuting from home. Worked through my twin pregnancy, took a 7 month leave of absence, then quit. Just could not work at home anymore with 4 kids, 2 being babies.

I was a SAHM-only for about 2 years, then started working for Creating Keepsakes free-lance as a contributor and author - had my own column for a year. Also worked for many manufacturers on their design teams, including design team leader for Creative Imaginations, plus an online store.

About 6 years later, I quit scrapping professionally cold-turkey and started working for my sister's business TJ Formal. I've done quite a few different jobs for her, but currently am social media manager and do website maintenance.

For the past about 10 years I've also done a ton of volunteer work, from yearbook for 5 years, to PTO president, to now the annual high-school activity calendar and a bunch of other stuff in-between.

While I've been home with my boys since they were born, there was only about 2 years where I didn't work at least part-time. And all of THAT is the reason I'm a lousy housekeeper, even though I'm home. At least that is my excuse.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
being as I was a deployed military member {and even though I didn't take advanage of this cause I didn't know at the time} I think this is an AMAZING thing to do for military families
Thanks Angie

It's not widely known here in my area yet, so most of my families are on their 3rd or 4th deployment and when they contact me it's usually the first time they've heard of the program and they are always so appreciative of the photos.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's so interesting to read about everyone's jobs and backgrounds! I've been a SAHM for 8 years now. My youngest will start full day kindergarten in 2.5 years, so with any luck I'll be able to find a part time job and go back to work around the same time.

I was certified to teach elementary school after college, so my first "real" job was teaching the before and afterschool program at a day care for a year. It didn't take long for me to realize that I although I loved working with children, there was no way I'd be able to spend all day with other people's kids and then come home and have the patience for my own. (At that time we didn't have any, but we thought I'd need to keep working once we did.)

I switched to health education and worked for a non-profit group doing education and advocacy on the link between nutrition and chronic diseases. After 3 years I went back to school for a Master's in Public Health then worked for the federal government. It was interesting but not very rewarding since the majority of what I did dealt with awarding, overseeing, and evaluating grants to the people who were in the field. Necessary as my job was, I felt too removed from the people benefiting from the programs.

The only job I've loved was working at a preschool throughout high school and college. When I was working, what I really wanted was to be a mother and stay home with my children. Now that I've done that and know how different it is from my idyllic pre-kid imaginings, I think I'll appreciate work more when I go back. It has been so long since I worked that I don't know what I'll be able to go back to. I'd love to do something in public health, but I've probably been away from it too long. I've at least had some education involvement through working at the kids' schools and my son's special needs. Next fall I have to start researching the job market here and making decisions so that I have time to take some classes or find relevant volunteer work. I'm dreading the job search part of going back to work.

Last edited by rach3975; 03-12-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't currently work but hope to in about 3 1/2-4 years from now once I am finished my degree.

Currently I am studying full time a foundation style course for those of us who have been away from education a while to enable us easier entry into the Bachelor of Nursing. Hopefully I will start that mid this year otherwise I'll start early next year. Prior to that I completed a Certificate in Community Skills which unfortunately doesn't get me very far unless I chose a different career path.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 03-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm loving learning more about you all, and it's so cool to find out what you all do!

My job history is so boring compared to all of you!! Right out of high school I had to get a job and move out, so I worked in a gas station. I did that for 6 years, working up to back-up manager. fun lol. I didn't have time to take classes for anything - I worked between 2 different stations in 2 different cities, and baby sat every weekend night. When I got with dh, I quit to move to TX with him for a while. I got a warehouse job after we came home, then when I got pregnant, I quit. I've been pretty much a sahm since then, except for the 2 1/2 years that we opened our own video game store. We ended up deciding to sell recently when dh's dr appts and procedures were starting to interfere with it.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:26 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

This is such an interesting thread!

I've been a SAHM for the last 7-1/2 years. It's all I ever wanted to be, but it is definitely the most challenging thing I have ever done.

Before becoming a mom, I worked as an editor and technical writer for 10 years. I first worked in marketing and communications for a health insurance company. I loved that job, but had to leave it when we moved to AZ in 2002.

After we moved, I worked for the University of Arizona on a scientific journal called Meteoritics and Planetary Science. That was such an interesting experience. I was the Production Editor. We took articles that had been written by some of the most well-known scientists in the field, sent them out for peer review, and then got them ready for publication in the journal. It was so fun being involved in something from the very beginning and seeing it all the way through to a physical publication (with my name in the front cover!!!).

Also, I got to meet so many interesting people. I didn't know anything about Planetary Science before I started working there, and it was so fun to learn about it, even though I didn't comprehend a lot of the complicated science. I think the most exciting thing was working in that field during the time that the Mars rovers were launched. Everyone in the field was so energized about that at the time, and it was really fun to be there on the periphery.

I have to admit that I felt very competent in my profession. I was a good editor. And, motherhood is something that I feel very inadequate in doing. Some days I long for the times when I went to work and could feel confident at the end of the day that I had done a good job. It's so difficult to measure how you're really doing as a mom, and I have failures every single day. But, I really feel like the most important thing I can be doing right now is being here with my kids.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:52 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

For first 10 years, I worked for major cell phone company, manufacturing, analyzing and repairing the cell phones. Remember those brick phones? That's when I started there! LOL While there, I got married, had kids, went back to school and switched the jobs in IT field. Still working in telecommunication industry, which is also another household name. Over last 15 yrs, I've worked as web developer. Right now, I've been working on Web Based Training programs. I've done everything from helping create the training, QA the process, maintain the standards of the training, help the designers. Right now, I usually have anywhere from 8 to 15 spreadsheets open with all the course info, database and analyze the common issues students are facing and what's being done, assign the work to others to fix the courses.

I love the flexibility my job provides. I work in the office first part of the day, then pick up the kids from school and finish rest of the day from home. Kind of best of the both world. I get to interact with others at work and also get to be with kids when they're out of school.

I was home for 6 months in summer last year when I was unemployed and loved every minute of it! But I also knew that I was going to be home for only 6 months, so that made the difference too.

Last edited by ripal; 03-13-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:03 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Fun thread!

I am a hair stylst and i still wait tables a couple days a week as well!

I would love to be a SAHM, without the "M". LOL! That way I can design full time =)
Old 03-13-2012, 02:07 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have worked in the newspaper industry full time for the past 25 years. I do marketing and business development. It used to be great fun but with the drop off globally in newspaper sales - added to the recession - it is pretty horrible at the moment. Hoping I'll be in a position to retire in another 3 years !
Old 03-13-2012, 02:11 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have loved reading this thread

After finishing college I worked in a childrens home for children with special needs, I left there to work in a school for children with special need. I have been doing this for 8 years now. I had 12 months off on maternity when I had Hollie and I went back 3 days a week. I love the balance of being at work and being at home with my little girl
Old 03-13-2012, 02:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a teacher in a special needs school. I teach 6 little people with profound and comPlex needs and I manage the complex needs within the whole school. I love it and can't imagine doing anything else for paid employment.
I work in the evenings and at the weekend For our online store which keeps me very busy and I love doing that too
Old 03-13-2012, 04:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a SAHM, I volunteer with my sons class. I also was a FRG leader for awhile here. (too much drama) I also do photography on the side. I love it. My youngest starts school in the fall and I don't know what I will do at that point. It will open up a lot for me I feel like. But part of me says I will be even more busy running around two kids instead of just one. Not sure. Eventually I would like to go back to school and teach HS kids photography class/journalism.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So fun to read about everyone

I have a degree in biochemistry but don't work in that field anymore. I worked in that field though until Cheyanne was born almost 12 years ago. She was born so prematurely that her doctor told me not to put her in daycare until at least the age of 2.

So, I started to look for something I could do from home to help out with expenses (her brother was 13 at the time and his needs/interests were getting more expensive too - LOL). Also, I knew that staying home without something to do would drive me bonkers.

I landed a job as a medical transcriptionist and it has worked out great, especially once it became just me and the kids. It's been a blessing to be able to have a job that gives me the flexibility to be where I want to be when I want to be.

Now I'm an operations supervisor for a transcription company up here in Maine. I don't do much transcribing anymore. Now I supervise a team of transcriptionists, handle quality assurance/editing of reports, and client calls. With the evolution of technology; i.e. my Blackberry, I can work from ball games, track meets, swim meets, etc. etc. Most of my work day is at home but with my Blackberry I can handle anything from anywhere, which makes it even more flexible. I honestly love my job and can't imagine doing anything else now. Not sure what I'll do once Cheyanne is off at college and it's just me!
Old 03-13-2012, 06:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a program coordinator for a nonprofit. We teach teachers about economics.

It's great & I love the people I work with and for. We are small - only 3 in the office. I love the challenge that it brings - trying to get people to attend and the way that it is different every day. It has only taken me 10 years to find what I was made to do.

Before that I worked in the marketing dept of a mortgage company, I was a designer at a production house {then the economy tanked} and before that in college I was a certified barista. I also worked on the assembly line in a factory for a company that makes candles, cleaning supplies and so on and before THAT, I was a florist in High school & Valentine's Day was my favorite day. I was pulled out of school to work for 2 days straight.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a stay at home mom who sells Avon on the side.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a SAHM and have been for 10 years, I'm getting the itch to do what I want now the youngest is 6 (7 in November) I'm looking into a college course doing professional cookery, I'm just waiting to hear back about the hours.

I did think about photograhy but there's so many around me and if I use my camera for too long I end up getting a headache which isn't good if I was doing a photoshoot lol, plus I judt don't think it's for me anymore!
Old 03-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Great thread! What fun to see what everyone does in their "real lives".

My degree is mechanical engineering, so I worked for a defense contractor for 11 years. When the contract was up I was hoping to be a SAHM, but now I work part-time as the adult ministries director for our church. I love it! I miss some of the things about engineering, but not enough to go back
Old 03-13-2012, 07:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a French teacher to public servants . Many jobs in the Canadian government ask for bilingual candidates, so we offer private and semi-private courses. I teach a 3-hour course in the morning and a 3-hour course in the afternoon. I have to prepare course plans, as well. I love my job.

Prior to that, I was a SAHM for 8 years. And before having kids, I was in editing, proofeading school books. While in college, I used to be a sales clerk at a few clothing stores.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Nice to see what everyone does for a living!

I am a finance worker. I work 4 days.
I love my job....
Old 03-13-2012, 07:19 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Now I'm a photography/SAHM & student, although I'm taking the rest of this semester off, I've just missed too much school. I've gone every semester since August 2009. Some semesters I've taken 3 classes, some I've taken 2, I'm so burned out on school. I'm going for my photography degree and then a certificate in Sales & Marketing.

And before that I spent 10 years in the Air Force doing signals intelligence.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I teach special education for 3-5 year olds. In my morning session, I have a program that works with three year olds who have just qualified for special education. I take them and teach them the routines of school, set up communication/schedule systems as necessary, help them learn to separate from mom, etc. They stay in my room 9-12 weeks (any that start now will be with me through the end of the school year) and then move on to our district's inclusion classrooms.

In the afternoon, I have students with severe behaviors who are older (3-5) that need age appropriate curriculum but don't function well in those inclusion classrooms with 20-25 students. I only have 5 students, so it allows us to really personalize their curriculum and do what works for them. We do go to a regular ed room for about an hour every day. We sometimes have rough days, but I love those kids so much. I look forward to my afternoons every day.

I've taught ECSE for 15 years, but my AM program was just started last year and the PM program just started after Christmas break. I'm very lucky to have a principal who sees needs to programs and makes them happen.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:42 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

oh, this is fun!!

I'm a SAHM for the last 4 years... love it! I do dabble creating learning aids - as you all know. I also help my hubby in his various online businesses.

Before that, I worked for just shy of 10 years for a Fortune 500 (geez, used to be 200) as a information technology corporate trainer and course developer... most of my career was traveling all over the US (and a 9 week stint in UK) training our mill folks new computer systems... LOVED IT!! Then 9/11 hit... and I was freaked to travel - so I changed departments and was their computer FDA standards control... HATED it!! Begged and pleaded my old team leader to take me back... where I was back on the training team, but was the resource manager (assigning projects to my team) and exclusive IT trainer on new systems to senior management... LOVED IT!!

Back in college... I was worked in computer installs (installing and troubleshooting computers) for the university I went to... and in summers worked in a bakery and cheese store. I've also worked as a open house hostess for a local Realtor for about 5 years (only was on Sunday afternoons)... that was a fun job!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have my master's degree in Geology and Geography and am...wait for it....an accountant. True story.

I work out of the house three days a week so I get to do the SAHM gig part time. I have to say that SAH is hard work and I admire those who do it full time.

I'm thrilled to have the best of both worlds.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've been a SAHM for almost 4 years now and can't imagine doing anything else

Before that I spent 10 yrs working for a North American company with a branch here in Ireland. I started in IT, working as an IT support manager, which I liked, but didn't love. While still working I studied human resources, and that's what I was doing at the time I left the company. I enjoyed that much more than the IT work, but I much prefer my current job
Old 03-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I spent the first 5 years as a full time student (high school then college). With college I took as many classes as I could cram into a day (and night) after having Ryan because I wanted to get my degree done. Ended up having to leave a semester before beginning student teaching due to Bella's health problems.

I've worked on and off since Bella turned one at my church's Parents Day Out. Officially I'm still working there, I'm just on maternity leave.

The rest of the time I consider myself a part time SAHM since working PDO isn't exactly a full time job.

Oh and I LOVE working PDO. It's the age group I was wanting to work with when I started my quest to getting my Early Childhood degree, and by the time I was getting close to student teaching I had decided that I wanted more to work as a preschool/nursery director at a church instead of teach so working at a church and having to incorporate all of that with with planning lessons has helped a lot.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her

Last edited by MommaTrish; 03-13-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a WAHM...for the past 7 years. I work as a medical transcriptionist from home....basically part-time, 5 or 6 hours a day, while the 2 older kids are in school...I've got Carter (2) home with me and baby #4 on the way, so squeezing in the work is challenging at times to say the least, but it's soooo nice to be home but still contributing to our financial situation Before MT I worked for 10 years at a recruitment advertising agency (where we helped companies market themselves as "employers of choice" for candidates).
Old 03-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Well when I was first married I was a SAHM to our oldest for two years. Finishing up my degree (Major in Physical Education, that I have never ever used once in my whole life And probably never will).
Then I got a job at Wal Mart in 2000 and worked there till Nov 2005. I worked just part time and I use to change all the new prices in the system that would "drop" each week. It was actually really really fun!!! I was my own "boss" and didn't answer to anyone!
Then in November of 2005 my hubby got promoted and we moved and I've been a SAHM ever since!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I have been a SAHM for the past 7 years. I am a homeschooling SAHM now, too, with two first graders, one preschooler and a toddler. Believe me, this is a full-time-I-have-no-time-to-breathe job!!! I love it, though!

Before I had children, I taught special education for 7 years. I taught a self-contained middle school class. My specialty was in learning disabilities, but I had a mix of everything in my classroom. Sometimes I miss it, but I don't think I would ever want to go back into the classroom.

I would love to learn graphic design one day. I like dabbling in web-design. I would love to learn design and code. I've designed blogs for my husband and myself. Eventually when I can breathe again (if that ever happens) I'll focus on that, but for now, I'm just going to enjoy teaching my little ones.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm another - used to be a teacher and now I stay at home. I was a SAHW for 4 years before we had kids though..I haven't worked in 10 years! It's crazy to think it's been that long but I love staying home with my kids. I guess I'll probably work again someday..but I have no desire to be a teacher again.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got my degree in Mechanical Engineering, and had an awesome internship for my last two years of school as a Piping Engineer, where I worked on piping systems in mine processing plants. I focused on tanks and pumps, but dabbled in a lot more, including some HVAC. I loved it, and they would have allowed me to work part-time after DS was born, but DH's only job offers came across the country, so I'm 100% SAHM, and I switched from AutoCAD to Photoshop. I'm currently working on starting up an Etsy shop to bring in a little more fun money. It'll hopefully be ready in a month or so.

I love being a SAHM, though. There are so many moments and memories that I love to be able to share with DH, that neither of us would have I weren't able to stay home. We make some sacrifices, but we had NO money in college (just my $585/mo from my internship) and learned to live very frugally, so we feel like we have plenty now, even though we make less than if I were working too.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have a Master's degree in English Literature and taught 7-8th grade special education until my hubby graduated in 2001.

Now, I am the office manager of my friend's local gym.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Skype™ to Damayanti Studio

Sooo exciting and interesting girls!
Nice to write more about you!
So I was a nurse but after I gave birth to my second son, I decided I would like to do work that I was keen on. I enrolled in and graduated from a college, and now I am a graphic designer on documents
In fact, now working as a photographer with my colleague opened photo studio before few months
If you interested look here
I'm sorry that everything is in Bulgarian, but the pictures speak louder than words ...I hope
Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

First, and foremost, I am a Mom.

Second (which pays the bills), I am a technical problem manager for a large outsourcing/contact center company. Basically, we provide call centers and billing services/application support to various clients such as AT&T, Comcast, TMobile, etc. I work within the Corporate Network Services team to provide follow-up, resolution, and root cause details of technical outages. I've been employed at the same company for 12 years and started my journey within their Corporate Helpdesk and then moved around from that point; usually trying to avoid being laid off.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a secretary... I promote 4-H and work with agriculture producers. Currently, I am the only one in my office which means I am doing the work of two for the cost of one. :/ It's a bit of a sore spot with me.

I studied political science and planned on going to law school, but I fell in love with a farmer and moved back to my home town after graduation. We live in the middle of nowhere (2000 in the county) and there are NO jobs at all.

I'm unhappy with my job and would be back in school in a second if I could afford it. I want to get my masters in Political Science and then be an on-line professor. Once we have babies, I will hopefully be a stay-at-home mom/ farmer's wife.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

SAHM here, but up until 2 years ago I worked full time as the alumni services director at my college alma mater. Prior to that, I worked as an international marketing manager for a high-tech company and an international trade specialist for a government agency. I've also taught part-time at the college level. I have bachelor's and master's degrees in international relations.

I suppose I'll go back to work outside the home at some point, but not sure in what capacity. I've had my fill of the corporate life, and I'd really like to do more teaching.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is such an interesting thread!

I've done a little of this and that. I worked fast food out of high school while going to college. I left there and started at a photo printing company (makes enlargements, develops film, etc.) After that I went to a cabinet company. My husband (before we were married) and I worked side by side at that job. I loved working with him but hated the job itself. It was rough on the body and I ended up with wrist trouble because of it. I left there to work at another sort of printing company, this time a forms manufacturing company. My husband followed me after about 6 months and he still works there 12 years later. I left after 2 years and became a SAHW and, eventually a SAHM. I was home for almost 11 years. In that time I baby-sat for a while, sold stuff on eBay and ran my design business for about 5 years. My youngest started kindergarten this year. I had NO plans to go back to work. I had even decided to take a hiatus from the design gig and just focus on things I wanted to do around the house, volunteering at the kids' school, being a PTO mom and all that fun stuff.

Long story short, I went to the first PTO meeting of the year and was offered a job. Now I have the most amazing job EVER! I work at an elementary school. My official title is 'aide' but I'm not a classroom aide. I run what is, essentially, in school suspension/detention. When I don't have students in my class, I do projects for teachers. I do grading, laminating, whatever. I also do the yearbook for the elementary school buildings (this is actually my 4th year doing the yearbook so it didn't come with the job). I absolutely LOVE my job. I only work 3.5 hours a day (though I'm there 4 because my own kids catch the bus at my building in the morning to go to their respective schools) and I get off every holiday and inservice day that my kids do. I greet smiling little faces in the morning and get high fives and hugs every day. Teachers send me kids that need a little extra help with homework or studies and I get to work with them. I gave state assessment tests today. I love everyone I work with and I love being 'in the know' about the school district since it was so much part of our lives even before I started working there.

If I end up leaving my job at some point then I have every intention of going back to being a SAHM. I don't need to work and my husband has a crazy enough schedule without me adding to it by having a crazy schedule too. As much as I love working I do look forward to summer when I get to be a SAHM again (full time anyway) for a while. I still consider myself a SAHM despite my little part time gig. I still haven't wrapped my head around the fact that my 'job' is actually WORK. Its too awesome to be work!
Old 03-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a SAHM and have been for 7 years. I will admit this is something I had to get use to. The first year, I totally hated it. I felt isolated from the world. Then Landon entered our life as a 12 month old ball of energy (adopted) and I have loved it ever since. Hardest job I have ever had. The pay sucks and the lack of sick days/vacation days is hard BUT I love it.

My hubby and I also own a karate school in our town. We have since 2002, I do book keeping, design our marketing materials and anything else needed from home. This is my hubby's dream and I love supporting him in it.

Before I was a SAHM, I was in the banking/finance industry. I have been everything from a teller, new accounts rep, assistant manager, branch manger, corporate office personal........you name it and I have done it. I enjoyed it most days. I was good at it. I also was a investment brokers assistant which was my FAVORITE job. I even got licensed so I could sell investments myself. My goal at that point was to be a investments broker with my own agency. I am so glad that I did not go down that path now.

Eventually one day I will go back to school. My goals have completely changed. I now want to be a Speech Pathologist. I don't want to juggle school while a baby is at home though. SO this will wait until Peanut is in school (if we get to keep him - foster son) or until he goes back to his birth parents and no longer in our home. (sob!)
Old 03-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Let's see - right now I work at a major bank in their Default/Loss Mitigation department. Thankfully I don't have to talk to anyone - just deal with all the paperwork after homes are sold via foreclosure, short sale or 3rd party. I do that 20 hrs a week - at night - so during the day I am at home with the boys. I also coaching a synchronized skating team - and have taught Learn To Skate in the past.

When we lived in CA - I worked as an administrative assistant at a energy consulting company. And I also taught skating out there.

I received my bachelor's degree in History and maybe someday I'll go back to school and get my Master's in Library Science. I would love to be a librarian

Old 03-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

PE teacher. I love it, but hate the politics and 90 degree + days.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

currently, I am employed as an administrative assistant at the Military Fitness Centre at Canadian Forces Base Edmonton.
It is a temporary posting, covering for someone on maternity leave. If she comes back, I will move back to being a Community Recreation Association Clerk, in the same location (checking ID of all patrons, adding & maintaining patron membership {military members are the only ones that get in for free, their spouses must be members of the facility to use it, and we are also open to general public}, enrolling in community programs, selling discount area attraction tickets, etc).

I do all the same work I did as a clerk, but a lot more on top of it. I am mainly in charge of our publicity & promotions, and basically doing the dirty work for the Coordinators and Directors. We are a Non-Public Funded company.

Some days, I love my job. Others, not so much.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
I am a stay at home mom for the past 12 years now. Before being a SAHM I worked for American Express, training new hires for customer service .... just, ugh!
Tanyia!! I had no idea! I worked at AmEx for 7 years - the last 5 as a training coach and then an instructor! I actually liked it until I got laid off I was there 2000-2007

Now I work for my dad. He owns a machine shop and I run the office. Working with family definitely has it's pros and cons! I love working with my dad - my step-mom not so much

Last edited by WendyBird; 03-13-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I work as a Production Planner for an International Fruit Company. It suits my personality very well as I love to organize things. Sometimes I think about changing jobs, but my husband's death left me terrified of financial insecurity, so I stay and am happy that I am able to earn a comfortable living for my son, my mother and I. That and the health insurance keep me right where I am.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm currently a SAHM, although my days are probably limited since my son is in kindergarten now. I have an MBA and was a produce buyer for about 8 years until the company I worked for went bankrupt. I worked at Michael's corporate office for a year, then went to work for AAFES. I was able to work there part time after I had my son for about 18 months. Then the company had an influx of new upper management come in and they decided that I needed to go back to full time. I told them no thanks and have been at home since then. I have completely enjoyed being a SAHM and really have no desire to go back to the corporate world. But, I will probably try to find something in the next year or so. I'm hoping I can find something part time from home-that would be ideal.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlathrall View Post
I studied political science and planned on going to law school, .
That's my degree and what I had planned to do, too. But I had a good job and just really never went for it properly. I still think about it.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

I'm currently in my 13th year as a 2nd grade teacher at the same elementary school and I absolutely LOVE it! Prior to that I taught ESL at another school in our district & English and music in Ecuador, South America. (Angie- the summer before I went to college I worked as a phlebotomist! I loved that job, too!)

Aside from the time Luke goes to his own class til the bell rings at the end of the school day, I am fortunate enough to be with him. This year, he's in the classroom right next door. He technically wouldn't go to my school based on where we live, but we have a GREAT district and they allow him to come with me b/c his "childcare" is at my school. And they're so great about letting him hang out with me before and after school, too, since I'm technically "on the clock" for about an hour before & after.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I'm currently a 2nd Assistant Manager at McDonald's.

I also work part time as a professional figure skating coach (which I've done for almost 20 years)
Old 03-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm a Clinical Laboratory Scientist (aka Medical Technologist). I'm with the same hospital I started with right out of college. We have a large outreach program and I've always worked in that side. I've done work in our clinics, sales/marketing, management and technical consulting. I'm currently the manager of about 13 of our physician office laboratories. I am in charge of all their testing and personnel and I also keep them running as they should and get them ready for inspections by being their technical consultant. I also help out with the technical consulting at all of other physician office labs that I do not manage.

Technical Consulting has been my favorite out of all my roles. I love problem solving and keeping problems from happening in the first place. I have always loved working in the lab and can't imagine myself doing anything else.