Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom
Default To template or not to template

So that is the question. How many of you use templates and how often? I am always like I wish I only used templates because my pages always turn out so much nicer. But then I feel like that is cheating so I don't like to use them very often. What are everyone's thoughts on templates?
Old 04-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I use templates 95% of the time...I only have a limited time to scrap and I don't want to spend it thinking about composition
Old 04-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

To template. Always. No brainer for me, even when I did some original pages before working full-time out of the house, I use to make the layout in template form first, then use it.

Plus, we don't want all those template artists to starve!
Old 04-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think template layouts are so beautiful and so many people here use them so well! But for myself, I don't use them very often anymore. I almost always like my pages better when it's my own composition. But then I digi-scrap like I paper-scrap, so that's part of the issue, and my pages are not most people's cup-of-tea. I'm OK with that - they mesh well in my albums with my paper layouts.

And that doesn't mean I don't own a lot of templates. Because I just never know when I might feel like using one again.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanienamou View Post

LOL!

I dont use templates very often....but lately I have been caught by some that I just LOVE and have bought them.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I template. my time is precious and I don't like to waste it fighting the composition of a layout. Sometimes I end up doing something without a template, but it always takes me three times as long and I don't like it as much.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOVE them...gotta use them to at least get me started and then I may do some rearranging, deleting, etc...but it takes the guess work and time spent figuring out where to start out of it for me, which makes the process smoother and I get more done Template designers are the best!!
Old 04-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I love templates. The only time I don't use them is if I have a composition idea in my head before I start. Sometimes the templates look nothing like they originally started, but it makes it easier to base my page off of them. Plus there are some really talented template designers out there!
Old 04-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I mostly use templates and then sometimes, I'll do my own pages when I have an inspiring moment. I'd say maybe 90-95% of the time, I use a template.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to looove my los without templates, and I had a hard time making templates turn out how I wanted. BUT, since I took a looong break, honestly since I've been back, 99% are templates. I haven't really found my groove this time around, and templates are saving me - besides the fact that they make my scrapping faster, and they make my los so awesome! At first, I always loved Cindy's los, and for some reason, couldn't even make one of her templates turn out how I wanted, but in the past couple months, it's been easier and easier to turn them out how I want. I do sometimes feel like i'm 'cheating' like when someone comments on a specific aspect of how I did something in my lo, and that part is aaaaaalll template!

Sometimes I use them as is, and sometimes they're almost unrecognizable when I'm finished. But either way, if you want to use them, do it! If not, that's fine too. You can do both! lol, if templates were truly 'cheating' there wouldn't be template designers
Old 04-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverendingJen View Post
I template. my time is precious and I don't like to waste it fighting the composition of a layout. Sometimes I end up doing something without a template, but it always takes me three times as long and I don't like it as much.
This.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love templates. I mostly just use them when I'm short on mojo or short on time. I try to keep my gallery about 50/50 but it's probably closer to 60/40 (heavier on templates). I really like the way I feel after doing a layout that I love with no template. That being said though, it is so much more work to start from scratch and sometimes I just have too much on my plate to not use a template (like this past week...). Who can resist an amazing template though?? Even if there are already tons in the galleries. My family won't ever see the other ones, so it will still be special to them.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Templates. All the time. I love them! I feel I am in fact often more creative using them, because I can concentrate on the things I enjoy, instead of coming up with a new page design every time. I adore people, who do. But it's not my strong side and I have no desire to get better at it.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I scrapped for years without templates, but now most of the times I do use them. They save me time. I do like to completely mess them up from time to time so that it's almost an entirely new composition. And on rare occasions I still enjoy scrapping without one as well.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Even though I don't use them all the time, I love templates. I hate the argument that it's "cheating" to use a template. I don't view scrapping as an art contest... I am truly trying to get my family's memories down on paper so things are documented for the future. My kids don't care if I use a template or not, and outside of galleries -- nobody else who looks at my pages cares, either. How is it cheating if it helps you have more time to get more memories documented? Nope, I simply can't subscribe to that idea.

I use templates about 60-70% of the time (that's a guesstimate and not derived in a scientific fashion! LOL). The rest of the time, if I "freehand" a layout and end up really liking it, I just make it into a template for later/repeated use in the future.

Like others said above, I find it's quicker/easier to scrap with a template -- and my creative/scrap time is SOO limited (sooo... I'd rather waste it on my perfectionist tendencies when it comes to elements, shadows, etc... ha!). Seriously, though, I find I can pull together a layout quicker using a template and I fuss around with it much less.

That said, I don't like seeing the same template over and over and over (and over!) in the galleries all the time, so even if I buy a new set -- I'm not likely to use it for a while... I love delving into my template stash and pulling out templates from years ago. That way, I still feel like what I'm creating is unique and fresh, but I don't have to work so hard to compose it on the page.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanienamou View Post
I like your thinking.

I don't personally use a lot of templates other than my own because I like the challenge of coming up with compositions and such, but I'm kind of weird like that, haha.

But I don't see templates as cheating. They're a starting point that allows you to focus on other things like adding your own details, telling your story and spending more time making new memories with all the people you love.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
But I don't see templates as cheating. They're a starting point that allows you to focus on other things like adding your own details, telling your story and spending more time making new memories with all the people you love.
Exactly.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverendingJen View Post
Me too. I have been trying to do more layouts lately without a template, but I really struggle trying to come up with something new, that doesn't look like the last 'template free' page I did.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use templates loads, I do a few pages without as well but I love opening a template and playing with it to get it my way!
Old 04-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Templates 98% of the time. I'm not a quick scrapper by any means, so I spend enough time choosing photos, papers, and elements. Even when I have an idea for a LO, I'm likely to start by finding a template that's similar and altering it since it's so much quicker for me than starting from scratch. And since templates are so easy to change, there's almost never a time when I can't find something in my stash that will work.

Before templates became popular, I scraplifted, used a sketch, or found some other sort of inspiration to help me with composition and speed things up. Combining that with the convenience of clipping masks makes me a very happy scrapper.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I love templates but sometimes it takes me twice as long cuase I fret over which template to use lol
Old 04-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Out of the 39 pages in my SSD gallery, 7 are from templates. So... that's about 17% of the time. Part of the creative fun for me is laying out my page. I went to college for graphic design and art... so this is what I love to do and I can do it pretty fast. If it was a hurdle or if I didn't find it enjoyable I would totally do templates all the time. I love using templates when I'm in a rut or if I just really love the layout of the template! Some template designers think differently than I do (like Cindy, especially) with her many many papers, so it's fun to use a template that is different from my usual style. I also love templates like Nettio's who constantly comes up with such unique ways to design a page.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am a template lover. I use them a lot, especially for pages with multiple photos. I can usually come up a pleasing composition for one or two photo layouts on my own, but after that, I need help. I can't understand why any one would think of templates as cheating, but if so, I will be happy to keep on cheating.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use templates regularly, but I'm also not opposed to flipping them, changing them, adding photos, getting rid of photos, piling on elements, removing elements, etc. I feel like there are many times when I use the same template 3, 4, 10 times, and, for the most part, you'd never know the difference.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 04-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i use them a lot, but i never feel guilty about it bc i make them my own. a lot of times, i'll only use the photo placement. i have lots of issues with that...

Old 04-07-2012, 01:55 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbrie View Post
I do sometimes feel like i'm 'cheating' like when someone comments on a specific aspect of how I did something in my lo, and that part is aaaaaalll template!
This is exactly why I sometimes feel like I'm cheating using templates. When I get compliments on my composition and the composition came entirely from the template, then I feel like I've somehow misled people about my skillz (even though my credits clearly state that I used a template).

That being said, all my layouts this week were with templates - mostly because I had soooo much amazing stuff to work with, and I just wanted to scrap, not think about composition. AND, a bunch of the amazing stuff I had to work with were templates, so that's a win/win.

I do like to make sure that I create several completely original layouts every month no matter what. If I don't do that then I feel like I forget how to. And, I like the feeling of looking at a page that I love and knowing that it all came from my own creativity (with the help of some amazing kit designers, of course).

Old 04-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post

I do like to make sure that I create several completely original layouts every month no matter what. If I don't do that then I feel like I forget how to. And, I like the feeling of looking at a page that I love and knowing that it all came from my own creativity (with the help of some amazing kit designers, of course).
I think this is a good and important point Lydia. I've been trying to do at least one or two this month with my own composition for this very reason. I've felt very satisfied with the results which is a wonderful feeling.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by whites19 View Post
Even though I don't use them all the time, I love templates. I hate the argument that it's "cheating" to use a template. I don't view scrapping as an art contest... I am truly trying to get my family's memories down on paper so things are documented for the future. My kids don't care if I use a template or not, and outside of galleries -- nobody else who looks at my pages cares, either. How is it cheating if it helps you have more time to get more memories documented? Nope, I simply can't subscribe to that idea.

I use templates about 60-70% of the time (that's a guesstimate and not derived in a scientific fashion! LOL). The rest of the time, if I "freehand" a layout and end up really liking it, I just make it into a template for later/repeated use in the future.

Like others said above, I find it's quicker/easier to scrap with a template -- and my creative/scrap time is SOO limited (sooo... I'd rather waste it on my perfectionist tendencies when it comes to elements, shadows, etc... ha!). Seriously, though, I find I can pull together a layout quicker using a template and I fuss around with it much less.

That said, I don't like seeing the same template over and over and over (and over!) in the galleries all the time, so even if I buy a new set -- I'm not likely to use it for a while... I love delving into my template stash and pulling out templates from years ago. That way, I still feel like what I'm creating is unique and fresh, but I don't have to work so hard to compose it on the page.
This... every bit of it... I about died when 3 of us babes used the same template with the same exact kit this week LOLOL... but I did switch it up quite a bit so that it was different than the others... I very rarely use a template as is... I'm always mixing it up... using less elements... adding more paper... using paper for photo spots... shrinking it... doing whatever I can to make it look like my own yet still saving time on the layout... and then after all that... I remind myself that I'm doing it for my kids and family and they don't care whether or not I use a template, as long as the story is told and the memory recorded and yes, I'm about 60-70% templates... and I think it's because I'm on so many template creative teams... if I were on less template teams than I'd be using less templates because I enjoy being inspired by the kit and the photos and the story... and many times is therapeutic for me to create a layout w/o a template, but it's also therapeutic for me to make a template my own instead of using it as is
Old 04-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

here's what I mean about making it your own... 3 totally different layouts - same exact kit, same exact template... to me they aren't "cheating" at all because each of them have their own spin and style to it...

Old 04-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Also... here's an awesome tutorial by Traci and making a template your own
Old 04-07-2012, 02:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I go in spurts... sometimes I look at the kit and I know exactly what I want to do with it... other times, I just want to scrap and not worry about photo placement.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Cheating at what?

"Oooh sorry great-grandchild #3. You probably shouldn't look at that page. I used a template to make it, so it's not really a story/memory preserved to share with you. "

I say use whatever you want to tell your stories. They are YOUR stories. Your memories. Your pages.

eta/p.s.
I don't use templates 'cause I suck. really, really suck at it.

Last edited by krystalhartley; 04-07-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

If you had asked me this question 4 months ago, I would have said that pretty much all my LOs were from templates. But lately, I've been challenging myself to try to come up with page compositions myself. I don't view templates as cheating in the least, but I do want to keep my creativity sharp, so I NEEDED to try to think outside the template box. And like Laura and Heather said, very often, I change a template so much you'd never even know that that was the one I started out with.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I am totally a template lover!!! I use them a lot and I love it! Of course, I always try to give my LO my personal touch, but it's great to have a starting point! And, as you say, they are wonderful time savers! I do make my own compositions sometimes and I even make freebie templates out of them. I guess I love templates so much that I think mine can be useful too! lol!
Old 04-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This thread makes me feel so much better. Honestly, I didn't really consider myself a "real" scrapper because I always use templates. However, I 100% agree that I am doing this for my kids and future grandkids, to document our story and they won't know/care if a template was used.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by abm234 View Post
This thread makes me feel so much better. Honestly, I didn't really consider myself a "real" scrapper because I always use templates. However, I 100% agree that I am doing this for my kids and future grandkids, to document our story and they won't know/care if a template was used.
Heheh, the scrapbooking police is coming to get you, if you don't love EVERY aspect of scrapbooking. I simply don't enjoy the page designing that much.
And if you ever doubt, that it takes creativity and talent to use a template perfectly, just look at some of the layouts the templates are based on. Will we all scrap like Lynnette and Cindy now? Just because we have their templates? We wish!

Some people love fantasy layouts with extractions, but hate patterns. Others cannot get clusters right and don't like them anyway. This is meant to be fun for us all. Just do, what you enjoy.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't even try to do original pages anymore. There's an obvious point in my albums where I switched from painfully trying to do my own thing, to where I started using templates. Ie- the layouts with a template are actually good! Lol. I just don't enjoy, nor am I any good at original composition. I do always end up changing the template, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. But I definitely don't see it as cheating. I doubt I'd still be scrapping if I still had to make my own original designs.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I love using templates!! I use them most of the time, unless I'm going for a really simple and clean layout...that's what I end up with most of the time when I scrap without one.

I feel like I am learning a lot about composition because of using templates. Using them more gives me more confidence to go without them from time to time.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When templates first came out I kind of felt like they were cheating but I was so used to no real tools of that sort for digiscrappers (I had color blocking templates for paper scrapping though). It was kind of like quickpages. It felt like the lazy way to a layout. I used them when the designers I CT'd for had some that needed to be showcased but that was the only time I used them. Then I got so behind in my scrapping and so wrapped up in designing that it felt like I never had time to scrap. My love affair with templates AND with quickpages began then. Like it has been said, its all about preserving the memories.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

I am so glad I asked this question and that is has helped some of us feel like it's really "ok" to use them and not feel bad about yourselves because we do. I have 5 kids, started a part time job which actually has been ending up being more of a full time job and all the house wife stuff to do too and sometimes I just want to be able to slap my pictures down and be happy they are scrapped and not worry about how should I design this page what should I do. I am so happy that you guys don't feel like its cheating. And now I will be relaxing about it more and getting my scrap on.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Banned

profile gallery

I love templates and never feel guilty about using them. I've seen tons of pages using the same template and they all look different. I don't see them as me being uncreative. I see them as freeing me to be creative.

I always thought that "cheating" argument was really silly since we all use the same kits and don't think twice about them making us uncreative. How are templates any different? I say if you like them, use them. As women, we make ourselves feel guilty about too much. I sit in my chair and shove chocolate in my face while scrapping with a template as often as humanly possible. lolol
Old 04-07-2012, 07:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am like the majority here. I LOVE templates and using them, but also enjoy creating my own pages too. I would like to say I have a good mix, but in reality I do use alot of templates. If someone has already done all of the hard work of making a perfect composition for a layout, I say why not use it?!? And I agree that they are MY memories... no one in my family will know if it was a template or not... honestly they probably would have NO IDEA what I was talking about if I tried to explain it! haha
Old 04-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScrap View Post
I always thought that "cheating" argument was really silly since we all use the same kits and don't think twice about them making us uncreative. How are templates any different?
This is how I think about it, too. In the earlier days of digiscrapping, people made a lot more of their own scrap supplies and did more to alter the ones they bought, like applying overlays to papers. I don't feel guilty because I'm using a paper that someone else designed and distressed, so why should I feel guilty using another kind of scrap supply? My template-based LOs still reflect my taste and scrap style, and they tell my family's stories.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I very, very, VERY rarely scrap without a template. When I do, it feels forced and a lot of times, the pages look all very much alike. While I love the creative outlet that scrapping provides me, my main goal is just to preserve my family's memories & the fun part for me is telling the stories, taking the photos, and picking out colors & patterns to mix & match. So, I'm not a standout scrapper, I'm not crazy original, I'm no rockstar but...my albums look awesome with pages in them that I created with love, and that's the most important part to me.

Of course, sometimes I have to remind myself of that. In fact, I just scrapped a page (with a template!! ) about my issues. It sometimes DOES feel like a creativity contest, but I am to a point where I am good with my pages & I hope that shows.

SO, in conclusion, TEMPLATE.

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 04-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

When I first started digi scrapping, I NEVER used a template....in fact...I really disliked template challenges b/c I had no idea how to use them and make them my own...I ended up deleting most of them b/c I didn't use them. And then something happened in the past year two years...maybe when I discovered Cindy's templates at PC....I fell in love with templates and use them all the time.

This week I challenged myself to scrap without templates though and I did it on all but a few layouts!!!!
Old 04-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i have VERY little time to scrap so i use a template. i don't care if it's cheating because it's getting my pages & memories scrapped. that's what matters. plus, the template designers make AMAZING templates so why try to upstage them? lol
Old 04-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaneejean View Post
i have VERY little time to scrap so i use a template. i don't care if it's cheating because it's getting my pages & memories scrapped. that's what matters. plus, the template designers make AMAZING templates so why try to upstage them? lol
couldn't have said it better

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 04-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My scrap time really comes down to the weekends, so I'm lucky to get 1-2 done a weekend. So I will absoluely grab a template - my kids won't care and some of my favorite pages started with a template. There are so many designers out there that I'm fortunte to have an eclectic mix.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Who said it's cheating??? Not me. I don't think anyone here is passing judgement on the use of templates. We all use templates... whether it's all the time or once in a while. It's a totally common thing and 100% acceptable!! No need to feel defensive. And those of us who don't use them the majority of the time are NOT trying to upstage the template designers or trying to win a contest of any kind. Promise!

Old 04-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

100% template user here. I SUCK at making my own layouts and get utterly frustrated that I want to hit the computer screen or throw something. So for the sake of my computer and things in my house.... I use templates! LOL.