Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default sectionals (living room furniture lol)

love them or hate them?

do you have one?

just curious.. might look into changing out ours if we can find a really good deal to save up some room in our living room.. i REALLY want to create a desk area along one wall to have a desk and storage but in order to do this we would need to change out our living room setup..
Old 03-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We have one, and I love it!! I used to have one years and years ago that I absolutely hated though. So, I think it has to be the right sectional.

This is ours:

Old 03-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

LOL - I read that at first, Kristin, and thought - oh...this one time, at band camp.....

(cause sectionals, you know - well, band geeks would know)
Old 03-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

gorgeous Libby....love the leather. we have one too, about the same size - it's tan microfiber and we love it!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Banned

profile gallery

We have one and LOVE it! I like to sit in the corner and the girls climb on my lap and we snuggle and watch movies. It's great for a few extra seats without taking up any extra room. We would just put a table or something between a chair and sofa. This way we can seat a couple extra kids and another adult for the same space.

Ours is Microfiber and we had it treated with Stain guard. We don't like anyone to eat away from the dining room table, but movie nights are an exception. Stains just wipe off and they don't leave a water mark.

This is ours:
Old 03-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
LOL - I read that at first, Kristin, and thought - oh...this one time, at band camp.....

(cause sectionals, you know - well, band geeks would know)
hahahaha
not a band geek but I totally thought the same thing.

we have a sectional in our family room, and I love it. ours has the chaise, too.
I think sectionals can look dated though. I think "boxier" shaped cushions make them look less dated (vs. big, poofy, rolled cushions).

Ours is ginormous tho...my 6'3" brother-in-law loves to sleep on it and has plenty of room.

Last edited by krystalhartley; 03-06-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Darcy, you crack me up. I was a band nerd in Jr. High. I was a flute player. SO, the whole "this one time at bad camp" movie quote always gave me a giggle! I love your dorkyness. (yes, I made up a word!) LOL

And K......I agree with Libby.....I think it depends on the sectional. It is what works best for you and your living space. I love the one that Libby has though. I really like the ones with the chace chair at the end. That would be MY spot on the couch. LOL
Old 03-06-2012, 05:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oooh, I love that! Our living room isn't big enough/set up correctly for a sectional. We just bought a new couch & love seat. The couch has a chase on it and I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScrap View Post
We have one and LOVE it! I like to sit in the corner and the girls climb on my lap and we snuggle and watch movies. It's great for a few extra seats without taking up any extra room. We would just put a table or something between a chair and sofa. This way we can seat a couple extra kids and another adult for the same space.

Ours is Microfiber and we had it treated with Stain guard. We don't like anyone to eat away from the dining room table, but movie nights are an exception. Stains just wipe off and they don't leave a water mark.

This is ours:
Old 03-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracotta7 View Post
And K......I agree with Libby.....I think it depends on the sectional. It is what works best for you and your living space. I love the one that Libby has though. I really like the ones with the chace chair at the end. That would be MY spot on the couch. LOL
Oh totally! That's where I spent my entire pregnancy! LOL

And I TOTALLY thought the band reference when I first saw the thread title, too!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

I think Vanessa hit the nail on the head about the room being set up correctly to put a sectional into. I have a sectional and while I really like it, it only fits in my living room one way because we have a very long and narrow living room. Also, consider where the vents are in your room, too, if they're on the floor. I tried to put mine over the vent with one of those "flow directional" thingies and it just didn't work.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have one and I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love how comfy it is, and the space, but it's hard to move and very heavy, and with how often we move that is a real consideration. We won't do a sectional again until we are out of the military.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Banned

profile gallery

Ours is 4 pieces and it's super easy to move. It definitely depends on what type you get, so be sure to look into how many pieces it has.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Generally not a fan but I really love Libby's!! I hate the furniture we have now. The cushions are not removeable so they are not washable. With just us and a teenager in the house I hope that will not be a huge issue as it was in the past (when the kids were younger). ETA:I did not notice the cushion issue at the store when we bought the furniture. So make sure to really look at the furniture you are buying to make sure whatever is important to you is there!

Oh another thing to consider is the opening to get the furniture in/size of the furniture. (think Ross via the show Friends LOL). We had issues with our new furniture and my daughter told us that her mother-in-law bought a sofa and could not get it in the house because it was to wide. They had to remove a window to get the sofa in the house.

Last edited by jessica31876; 03-06-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We have enough room for a sectional, but decided to get two full sized couches instead. I was afraid of the sections fall apart or it not holding up well because it's so many pieces. I lthink the one LIbby posted is gorgeous, but it's definitely all about fabric and the room setup.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Don't have one but would sure love one. The problem is our awkward shaped living room. Seriously, there isn't any good way to arrange furniture in there. I need professional help (for the living room... really!)
Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We just bought one at Lazy Boy. It has a recliner on either end (you know the ones that pop up!). It will be delivered the week after we move into our new house. I am so excited!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm so jealous! I reallyreally want a big sectional
Old 03-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScrap View Post
Ours is 4 pieces and it's super easy to move. It definitely depends on what type you get, so be sure to look into how many pieces it has.
more so because of the weight, not the amount of peices, lol
Old 03-06-2012, 06:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have a microfibre sectional like Jennifers, but without the chaise bed bit at the end. We got a large ottoman made at the same time so it all matches, and made it so the lid was removable. This made it possible to use it as a toybox for the kids. When the lid is on no-one even knows it's a toybox. Makes clean up in the lounge so easy.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Banned

profile gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverendingJen View Post
more so because of the weight, not the amount of peices, lol
Oh yes. That, too! lolol Ours isn't too bad. Have the salesperson lift it in the store to see if it gives him a hernia.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
We have one and I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love how comfy it is, and the space, but it's hard to move and very heavy, and with how often we move that is a real consideration. We won't do a sectional again until we are out of the military.
We don't have one for this reason - because I figured it'd be a pain in the butt to move, haha. But I would LOVE a couch with a chaise attached to it. I never sit properly on the couch anyway so it'd be perfect for me.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
We don't have one for this reason - because I figured it'd be a pain in the butt to move, haha. But I would LOVE a couch with a chaise attached to it. I never sit properly on the couch anyway so it'd be perfect for me.
Our next sofa will be exactly that(said as I sit on the sofa with the sofabed out so I can sit how I like). We had really limited choices when we originally bought(living in italy) and this was the best option at the time. We regretted it as soon as we realized how bulky it is to PCS with, lol. We are pretty sure it will break during our next move and we'll replace it then.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have one and we really like it. we bought it at a more upscale furniture store so we were able to get it upholstered in fabric that we really liked. It's very comfy and holds more people than we could otherwise fit in this space.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

DH loves them and really wanted one when we redid our living room a few months ago, and I was on the fence. The room definitely has to be sized right for it, and ours isn't. The few sectionals we could find that would fit were very small and couldn't have been used for sleeping, which was a deal breaker for us. Instead we went with a regular sofa and a large, moveable footrest that can be used as a table or extra seating. We've been very happy with that combo.

ETA: The footrest is a lot like the one in Libby's picture, size- and shape-wise.

Last edited by rach3975; 03-06-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We are in desperate need of new living room furniture and I really want a sectional. We have a great space for it but I want one that comes in pieces so its easy to move.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
We are currently sofa shopping and right now, everyone is trying to sell us a sectional. But with being in the military, we never can know if our house will be large enough to have a sectional in the living/family room. One of my neighbors, had to toss some of her sectional to fit in the old-ww2 housing. Its crazy.

So no, we dont have a sectional. I would love one but while we are in the military moving every 1-3 years we can't afford to downsize if the house doesn't fit. Hopefully we can find something to replace our 14+ year old sofa because its starting to show its true age
Old 03-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have this:

And I love it b/c each piece is separate, so we can rearrange it as desired. However...my kids still play with toys that have eleventy million tiny pieces (namely Squinkies and Polly Pockets) and they are forever falling down into the cracks between each seat. I pull the whole thing apart every few days and retrieve toys. But it won't be like that forever, I guess!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Banned

profile gallery

Oh Joana, that looks beyond comfortable!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

We just got a sectional when we remodeled the living room. I love it. It's a microfiber and it's great that the whole family can snuggle up on it. Here's a link to the one we got.