Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Currently Reading Week of 6/28

What's the last book you finished?
What are you reading right now?
What's on your TBR?

What's the last book you finished?

Since the last thread I've finished...

Storybound by Melissa Burt - I gave this book 1 star. I was actually kind of angry when I finished b/c honestly to me it was a total rip-off of Harry Potter and a terrible one at that.

The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien
5 stars of course

Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon (Book #4 in the Outlander Series)
Loved it..gave it 4 stars.

The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton It was good...3 stars.

The Old Maid by Edith Wharton (on audible) This is a short story and very good...4 stars

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (on audible) 4 stars

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness I was so hugely disappointed in this book. You can read my review on goodreads for more info...I gave it 2 stars (although more like 1.5) and did not finish the second in the series.

Witches: The Absolutely True Tale of Disaster in Salem by Rosalyn Schanzer - Middle Grade non-fiction account of the events of Salem Village and the witch trials. It was quite good with great illustrations.

The World of Ice & Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, Elio M. GarcĂ*a Jr., Linda Antonsson
This book is gorgeous and I read a little at a time over the past couple of months. Beautiful illustrations..it's written as if a Maester is writing a history of Westeros. Perfect for GOT fans.

What are you reading right now?

Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan - still reading this with the kids..it's slow going b/c of summer and stuffs.

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson Book One of the Stormlight Archives I'm switching back and forth between the hard copy and audible on this one. It's soo good so far and I already love it more than his Mistborn Trilogy. I think if you love Patrick Rothfuss this is a great series to look into..

Hild (Light of the World #1) by Nicola Griffith historical fiction set in seventh century Britain.

What's on your TBR?

Honestly I haven't got anything set in mind right now other than...

Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson which is book 2 in the Stormlight Archives

Old 06-28-2015, 04:19 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Wow, that's a lot of books, Nikki! LOL

I most recently read the first 2 books in the Selection series. Should get the 3rd one from the library any day now.

Not sure what I'll read after that. I haven't read much lately, so I need to get back in that mindset and figure out what I'm in the mood for.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Nikki, I love the Stormlight Archive. I love the voice on the audiobooks too.

Finished...

Bel Canto by Ann Pachett - I think my expectations were too high. Good, but not great.

Eyes on You by Kate White (The Big Library Read)- As I wrote in the big read thread, it was ok. The plot was interesting enough to keep me reading. The characters weren't particularly well developed. It kept me entertained for a few hours, but will be quickly forgotten.

Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch - Loved this first book in this series. I liked this one too, but not nearly as much as the first.

Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - Excellent

Matched by Ally Condie - entertaining, good summer read

Currently Reading

A Man Call Ove by Fredrik Backman

To Read

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese - still sitting on the shelf waiting for me
Old 06-28-2015, 10:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I finally finished Crossed which was a fun read. My daughter lost interest before the 3rd book so I need to rent the last one.

I really liked Finding Audrey. I chose "next available Popular Book" online at the Library and it popped up!! It was a sweet story of a teenage girl recovering from severe bullying at school.

This totally sucked and I don't recommend it 25 Things to Say to the Interviewer to Get the Job You Want. I'm trying to prepare in case there is another gov't shut down...so I can get a nice job at Google. Hehe. I'll keep dreaming!!

My last book was The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I didn't even put two and two together - it's by the same author as the Graveyard Book!! I'm about 1/4 way through that book.

I'm currently Reading The Friday Night Knitting Club.

This book was inside the car of this cute guy that I date and I snapped a photo of it.... Holy War, Inc.: Inside Secret World of Osama bin Laden I might read it just so I can sound super smart. I should probably just buy a cute dress and sexy shoes!!!