Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Hybrid Chatter
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default cutting shapes & straight lines for hybrid?

I am not talking about using a cricut type machine for shapes but when you print stuff out to do hybrid work what do you use to cut it all out? Scissors or something like a craft knife or something else completely different? (not sure if there is something else but then Ive never done hybrid LOL). When I have used paper supplies though cutting with scissors I cannot seem to cut a straight line. Like it will be off just a little and it bugs me. I checked the main tutorial for cutting tips but got a 404 error so thought Id ask for tips on cutting and what to use. Hope this does not seem to silly a question!!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You could always use a paper trimmer, like one you'd use for paper scrapping. LIke one of these:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Fl8NnVUNex...20/trimmer.jpg

I've also seen a magazine ad for one that you can put different blades in it to get wavy, zig zag cut, etc. I think it also has a scoring blade so you can make perfect folds. I can't remember the company but I want one! I'll check my magazine for the company.

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 02-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

That is what I was thinking I need for the straight lines. See I am doing one of those photo trays like Kristin made this week only it is a real tray so I need to be able to cut out squares/rectangles straight. But I also want to use my supplies for like flowers and stuff so I have to cut those too. Im guessing scissors are easiest but I hate getting the little white lines around stuff and some stuff is a little harder to cut out with scissors so that is why I was wondering if people use craft/exacto knives?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

To be honest it all depends on the person and their particular preference. I use a guillotine cutter for straight cuts 90% of the time and a ruler and craft knife the other 10%. For cutting out of embellishements I own a pair of 4 inch Kai scissors that I inherited from DH's grandmother. If these ever wear out I will spend the money and buy another pair. You can get into the tiniest places with these scissoros and not have to worry about that white edge around it at all. A good friend of mine uses a craft knife and glass plate for cutting out her embelishments and she swears that it is the best method. I tried it and hated it.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

for straight lines I use a Fiskars cutter... for embellishments I use a small pair of scissors - Cutter Bee, and for the little details I can't get with the scissors I use an x-acto knife with a swivel top and my self healing mat underneath.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I use the same cutter as Heather for straight lines... and I use a plain ol' office scissors for other cuts... if doing something highly intricate... then I'll use an xtro-knife. It's all on preference... it took me a long time to feel comfortable with the knife.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Im fine with the exacto knife. I have used similar ones since I was little because my grandma had a ceramic shop and we used them to clean the cermics after they came out of the molds. I just knew my regular scissors were doing a crappy job of cutting everything and wondered if there was something better. Im probably gonna make a trip to the craft store to get some of those scissors and look at paper cutters too. Im not sure I will do a lot of hybriddy stuff so I do not want to spend a ton of money but I want to do the project I am working on now and know it is going to require ALOT of cutting.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

xacto knife, martha stewart fine point craft scissors, and a fiskars paper trimmer.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

For straight lines I use a metal ruler and craft knife, and for flowers and curved things I use my fine tip fiskars scissors. Love, love, love my scissors.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use a little of everything from my fiskars trimmer to little scissors like Jacinda posted to an x-acto knife. It really just depends on what I am cutting out... titles, x-acto knife for sure... flowers, scissors, etc.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I usually use a craft knife,metal ruler and self healing mat for most of my cutting. I also love my Honey Bee scissors - well worth the extra dollar or 2 for the non stick coating!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
For straight lines I use a metal ruler and craft knife, and for flowers and curved things I use my fine tip fiskars scissors. Love, love, love my scissors.

Ohhh, I forgot about these....I have these, too, but a different brand.... them!

Old 02-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did a hybrid essentials kind of post on the tutorial blog here and these are what I cut with