Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Question Do you use DROPBOX.com ??

I was wondering if anyone has used www.dropbox.com and would either recommend it or warn me away from it???

I'm looking for possible other recommendations to store photos, files, etc. for our robotics team. I would like to be able to provide photos for the team to download (you know all that 5-6 GB of photos I took at Nationals!...about 20 GB of photos for the school year) ... for the website team, notebook team, and CAD teams be able to share files and have the 'latest' uploaded and available for use. I'd like to be able to change access, watch the level of storage, etc.

Ideas? Recommendations? Thanks ladies!!
Old 05-11-2010, 03:07 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

mh... I don't know anything about dropbox, but I'm using Memopal. It is an online backup solution, BUT it's different from others, you don't need to keep the file you just uploaded there, and it's more a Storage solution. You can share with friends files by giving them a link and they can download it... plus you can browse yur files very easily from any computer, you just need to go on their homepage and put yousername and pw... you can see pictures as if you were browsing them on your computer. I really like it. http://www.memopal.com/en/
Old 05-11-2010, 03:14 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

I absolutely love dropbox! My pictures are kept on my main computer, but I do my scrapping on my laptop, so that is how I get my pictures to myself for scrapping. We originally got it so that we could share video of our babies with my inlaws in England. It has been the easiest way to share pictures and video with them.

It really is easy and basic to use. You do have to download their software onto your computer, but I have not had any troubles with that.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It sounds like cloud computing - I know that windows live msn.com has basically the same thing for free - a shared file on line

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland

Last edited by nonnie; 05-11-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

I've been using dropbox since my oldest was 10 months old. I LOVE it. I have all my photos/videos/even the majority of my scrapbook pages stored there. I paid the lifetime fee and it was well worth it. I can always go back and pull the full size photos and save them to my HD again if I need one. You can PM me if you have any questions or anything

Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

looks like they don't offer a lifetime option anymore.

(aka L. Reid)

Old 05-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

I don't really use it for storage, just for passing photos and layouts between my computer and laptop, and video to my in laws, so I have a free account. I think it is about 2 or 2.5 gb of space. I have invited quite a few people to get an account and every time I get another .25 gb. I am up to 3.5 gb.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sharon Kay, you should check to see whether Shutterfly might meet your needs -- it has really great group sharing abilities. They have a variety of templates that you can use and customize -- that's how I share our soccer team photos. Here's our website if you want to see one in action: http://redracers.shutterfly.com . Password is: racers.

You can also upload videos and files to share (like I uploaded an excel file of the game schedule), add a team roster, maps of event locations, a calendar of events, snack schedules, the local weather, etc. It used to be that you could not download photos from Shutterfly, but it looks like you now can download from these group share sites.

You can password protect and change access as you go.

It's free and so easy to set up (and looks pretty impressive when you're done ) that it's worth looking into.