Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-05-2015, 01:38 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Mother's Day ideas...

What do you do for your mom or MIL for mothers day???

I feel like I'm so sick of the bouquet of flowers idea. I need to do something different this year. Any ideas?

I'd like to do something special for my mom, maybe handmade? Something my kids can make her, maybe? My MIL is long-distance, so we might still have to send her something that can be delivered.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Instead of flowers I usually give a flower that can be planted. I gave my mom a choice this year of a pedicure or a flower. She chose a rose bush. So I have to go get that. I can't keep secrets so I may as well just tell them what it is lol!

If you want to get the kids in on it. Why not let them make a card or even do a tree with their hand prints? For the trunk you could use one of their foot prints.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

My mom likes for me to print off my layouts into a book for her. That is what she has asked for every year since I started. (I shutter at those 1st books. lol) Just about 15-20 pages. I try and pick out ones that are geared more towards her. My sis & me as kids or her grandsons.

I create for: Laura Wilkerson, Meagan's Creations & WendyP Designs ** Check out my Blog! **
Old 05-05-2015, 03:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My mum and dad are retired. Mum wants to replenish her food storage, but can't afford to, so this year my brothers and sisters and I (there's 5 of us) are giving her a Supermarket Gift Card and a bouquet of flowers. We'll each put about $100 towards it since in years past we haven't usually done much for mothers day besides a phone call and flowers.

My Dad's birthday is in July, and he wants to do things in his garden, so we're looking at getting him a gift card to the local gardening store too. We're all about practical in our family.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I always get my mom a hanging flowering plant for her to hang on her porch. She looks forward to it every year so I haven't switched it up.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think we are going to make a flower pot like this:

instead of flowers something like this & other little goodies:

And a framed photo that I took of her and the kids the last time we went to the beach.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I actually don't do anything. I always seriously overdue it for my mom on her birthday and Christmas, so she just gets a call for Mother's Day. I've stopped trying to give my MIL gifts long ago as there's nothing that I can give her that she'll actually like or use. I've made her countless things and they just end up shoved in storage or broken which angers me. It's better for us all if I just ignore her and she ignores me, lol

Old 05-05-2015, 05:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oooh - Amanda - love that idea!!

I don't do anything for my mom... it's one of those holidays that bug me - why is it just one day that we have to remember to "thank mom for all that she does?" We just spend time together... talking, having coffee... going rummage saling...

I don't have to worry about a MIL - DH's father is remarried after DH was on his own... and he does not look at her as his mom and she doesn't like Jake calling her Grandma.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Besides treating her to brunch (we go with my grandmother, aunts, uncles...) I think I'm going to give her certificate for a massage.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've sent both sets of moms (my mom, his mom) Jamberry nail wraps. I bought used their buy three, get one free special and had them directly shipped to the mothers. I'll have the children facetime his mom and show them artwork. My mom, since we are living with them while hubby is overseas, she'll just get some loving from the grandchildren and I'll do her Jamicure!
Old 05-06-2015, 06:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
I actually don't do anything. I always seriously overdue it for my mom on her birthday and Christmas, so she just gets a call for Mother's Day. I've stopped trying to give my MIL gifts long ago as there's nothing that I can give her that she'll actually like or use. I've made her countless things and they just end up shoved in storage or broken which angers me. It's better for us all if I just ignore her and she ignores me, lol
I don't do something for my MIL. That's my DH's job. It's his mother! KWIM???
Old 05-06-2015, 06:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
That's how I felt when it came to my MIL!! Now, we don't speak to her so neither of us have to worry about it.

I just ordered my mom an Edible Arrangements thingy. She's that lady that has everything. Plus, who doesn't like chocolate covered strawberries?!

Old 05-06-2015, 06:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We're moving back home to CA. I figure my presence should be gift enough.

Quote:
That's our rule as well. I usually will remind him it's coming but if he doesn't want to get anything, he can deal with the drama.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post

That's our rule as well. I usually will remind him it's coming but if he doesn't want to get anything, he can deal with the drama.
One year my DH missed his Mom's birthday. He remembered Mother's Day. (They are usuablly only about 1 week apart). It happened to be her 70th birthday, so he heard about it! Made up for it by taking her out to a special lunch next time he was in town!
Old 05-06-2015, 07:03 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

When we lived close together, we would usually do dinner out with all of the moms/grandmothers but now its usually just a phone call. Unless the boys do something at school, they don't do gifts for me either. Just like Valentine's, I'm happier for thoughtfulness during the other 364 days.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We're not a big gift family either. My parents give us checks, and we make sure to call and take them out to dinner if we're able to be together (which isn't usually the case since they're 7 hours away). When we do give gifts, it's usually something that the kids made or a photobook that I scrapped. As far as things that the kids made, some of my favorite gifts like that have been aprons or tote bags with their handprints (sometimes decorated as flowers, butterflies, etc and sometimes just handprints), special drawings, clay pots, and painted wood items (magnets, plaques, etc). My 6 year old wrote a book for Grandma's birthday (which is 2 weeks after Mother's Day), so she'll be getting that in addition to whatever I do. It's her 70th, so unlike Mother's Day we'll do something special.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
What part of Cali?

Old 05-07-2015, 10:23 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Last time my mom came to visit, she saw some canning supplies she mentioned she'd like so I picked those up. She's coming to stay with me this weekend and I told her I would grill. The only problem is I only know how to grill cheeseburgers which she said was fine, but doesn't feel good enough. lol
Old 05-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I would always get her a card, flowers and balloons. But she is not with us anymore so I will probably take some flowers and put them on her final resting place.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got my mom a photo canvas of all of her grandchildren. I know she is going to love it.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
What part of Cali?
Not sure yet but we're aiming for somewhere in the Sacramento/Bay Area since that's where all our family is.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:59 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

We don't really do gifts. My family is getting together at my parents' house for dinner this year, so we'll all be there to give her hugs and tell her we love her. We'll probably pop in to say hi to DH's mom, but nothing is planned. They never plan anything.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
You are awesome!!
If I left it up to my husband, he'd call several days, weeks, maybe month's later saying "happy mother's day". Although this year, he actually remembered to buy her a card and send it ON TIME--from overseas!!