Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Sweet Reads-Book Club
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner
Default Should I branch out or spend?

(Hope it's ok to start threads/book chatter here?) So, the only book available for e-download from my library from this month's choices (that isn't all out) is the only one I'm not interested in reading. WWYD? Should I branch out and try a new book, since it's free and I'll have support LOL? Or should I just spend for one of the other books through Amazon? The only one my library has is Madame Tussaud...I see that it is highly acclaimed but IDK.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Madame Tussaud was the only book that was available to check out from my library, so that's the one I'm reading first. I'm about 100 pages into it; it isn't a real page-turner, but I am enjoying it. The worst thing that could happen if you DL it from the library and don't like it, is that you read a few chapters then stop. I'd go for it.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:38 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Can you not go to the library and get a regular copy of one of the others?

Kate has a good point. I think it's worth a shot. Give it a start, and if you hate hate hate it, then stop and send it back.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
Can you not go to the library and get a regular copy of one of the others?

Kate has a good point. I think it's worth a shot. Give it a start, and if you hate hate hate it, then stop and send it back.
I could, but I prefer the eeader times a zillion. I never could read a book on the elliptical or treadmill, but I can read my Kindle that way. Also, all physical copies of The Help are out, too. There are 9 waits for the ebook!
Old 03-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I'm a book buyer :0x I use my kindle a good bit but I love holding a book in my hand.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Personally, I don't like wasting time on something I'm not interested in, so I'd just buy the one I want to read.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For me, there's no way boring-but-free could win over paid-but-interesting. Why waste time for something you don't want to do just because it's free?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Because then you never get to experience anything new She might try it and love it, who knows. And if she hates it, she's only out a few hours time and then she can go buy one of the other ones she's more interested in and probably would have bought anyway.

ETA: I mean Lena, if you REALLY don't want to read it, then just go buy one of the other ones, lol. I just think it's worth a shot since it's free, and I wouldn't mind that "wasted" time if I ended up hating it.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
Because then you never get to experience anything new She might try it and love it, who knows. And if she hates it, she's only out a few hours time and then she can go buy one of the other ones she's more interested in and probably would have bought anyway.

ETA: I mean Lena, if you REALLY don't want to read it, then just go buy one of the other ones, lol. I just think it's worth a shot since it's free, and I wouldn't mind that "wasted" time if I ended up hating it.
True enough. Since it's an e-product, Lena can always delete it if she doesn't like it. It's not that easy getting rid of real stuff that you don't like (I know what I'm talking about, and I didn't even get my unwanted stuff for free, LOL).

Old 03-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

the kate morton book is waiting for me at the library. i doubt i;ll be able to get madame tussaud unless i buy it. download it and see how it is.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

My library's budget cuts have severely limited thier ebook selections so none ofthe books are available that way to me. I asked how long the hold was for each of the books & The Help will available first. It's not my first choice, I'd rather have Madam Tussauds but it'd be the end of the month before I got it. I'm going with it rather than buy one of the others because I am cheap. I only buy certain books.

That is what I love about the library. If I decide 4 chapters in that I don't like the book I can take it back & I am not out a dime & don't feel obligated to waste precious reading time finishing something I don't enjoy just because I paid for it.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
I'm a book buyer :0x I use my kindle a good bit but I love holding a book in my hand.
I have a kindle too but never really use it. I am with ya...I love having a book in my hand and physically turning the page.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ther View Post
I have a kindle too but never really use it. I am with ya...I love having a book in my hand and physically turning the page.
Let me join and say that I don't even own a Kindle because it just doesn't compare to holding a real book in my hand. And yep, a friend of mine has a Kindle, so I saw it. A really cool device, but nothing for me.

Forgive me, Lena, for OT-ing your thread! And tell us how you decided in the end. :-)

Old 03-31-2011, 05:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i couldn't use a kindle. i just am not interested in spending my book time staring at a screen. i get enough of that as it is already!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have a Kindle, I put it off for a long time because I love browsing the library and I don't know just the all around thrill of getting that email saying a book I had on hold was in. However, the straw that broke the camel's back was the last time I borrowed a book from the library, actually it was "The Help" someone had smeared buggers on several of the pages, I have not been back to the library to borrow a book since!!

So back to the subject, I'd try the book. There are plenty of books that I've never finished, but you never know, you may really enjoy it. I wouldn't call it a waste of time more a broadening of the mind =)
Old 04-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by junipers View Post
However, the straw that broke the camel's back was the last time I borrowed a book from the library, actually it was "The Help" someone had smeared buggers on several of the pages, I have not been back to the library to borrow a book since!!

So back to the subject, I'd try the book. There are plenty of books that I've never finished, but you never know, you may really enjoy it. I wouldn't call it a waste of time more a broadening of the mind =)
EWWWW!!! That would probably kill borrowing books from the library for me too. I do the friend "library" option.