Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Back to school is cramping my style!

We started back to school a week ago today. That meant it was time for me to go back to work as I work for the school district (official title is an aide, I look over the detention/ISS room and share the job with another woman who also works part time). I haven't had much time to pop in here and chat since we got back to school because I've been dealing with all the craziness that comes along with the new year. As this week winds down, I think we're settled in to a pretty good route. I'm happy about that because it means more time to scrap!

For those of you with kiddos already back to school (or those who work at school, I know there are a few teachers here, including Aaron) how is it going?
Old 08-31-2012, 04:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For me school makes life easier Since I work from home 90% of the time having Cheyanne gone all day is nice. I get my work done quicker and have more time to scrap.

She's settled into her routine after just 2 days. She was not happy she had homework already yesterday but is happy that soccer practices are under way.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Busy, busy, busy. (did I mention busy? ) My kids have had a great first week, my 4th grader really likes her teacher and so far I do too. My oldest did great her first week of high school but I can already tell I'm going to miss her, I only really saw her for about a half hour the whole day yesterday. I'm having a hard time juggling schedules etc but if that's the worst I'll take it. I'm really proud of both of them, they seem so mature this year, very independent and responsible. ( I hope it stays that way!)
Old 08-31-2012, 08:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love back to school because it makes our routine come back. I like knowing our schedule and having that stability. It works wonders on my DS also. I have to admit though...........I am HATING getting up to an alarm clock. I have never been a morning person. It is a struggle for me. That is the part I dread but trying to work through.

I am happy to report that it seems we have an excellent teacher this year and Landon is LOVING school this year. This was a nice change from last year. So it is worth early morning to see him WANTING to go to school and WANTING to read! *happy sigh*
Old 08-31-2012, 11:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have to say that it's had the opposite effect for me so far! I was actually *gasp* bored for a while yesterday afternoon because the house was clean, the laundry was done, and it wasn't time to get dinner yet. I had time to scrap AND read - usually I'm picking between the two because there's never time to do both.

Things will pick back up in the next few weeks because the girls will start dance, Callan will start soccer, and our Wednesday night church programs will start back up. For now, I'm just enjoying the peace!

The kids seem to be settling into their routines nicely but I can tell that it's going to take Callan a few weeks to get used to being up and around so early every morning. Going to school 4 days instead of two is an adjustment for him also - he took a nap this week and that almost never happens!
Old 08-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We don't start until wednesday. Part of me is ready and part of me is sad.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Oh the beauty of year round school! My 4th grader is in 9 weeks and then out 3 weeks. She goes to camp when she is "tracked out." But she only has a short period of down time and camp keeps the same basic schedule as school......so our routine never really changes. So much more convenient since my husband and I both work full time. Works well for us!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Year round school would be nice (says the girl who just enjoyed 3 full months off for summer!). I don't know how my co-workers would feel about it but I would sure like it. Having 3 weeks off of every 12 would make for a pretty awesome gig. It would be so much easier to plan family vacations at times other than the hot of summer too.

I am excited school is back in session for sure. It has just taken me a few days to get my head wrapped around going to bed early, getting up early, getting in to our routine, etc. I got all off schedule and lazy over the summer.

This time last year, I had just sent my baby off to kindergarten (we have full day kindergarten) and I was just past the missing them stage and starting to enjoy having 8 hours a day to myself. Then I went to a PTO meeting.... and left with a job. LOL Being a SAHM to kids in school full time didn't last long for me. I definitely didn't get a chance to get bored! Maybe some day. I do have 4 hours a day without kids. It's nice. Today I did some shopping, came home and took my hubby out to lunch.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

My feelings about back to school can best be described in picture form!!

We had a GREAT summer but I am loving only having 2 kids at home and next Wednesday I'll start only having 1 kid at home!!!! *happy sigh*

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-31-2012, 04:40 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

LOL Elizabeth!!! Love that!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Elizabeth - that is one awesome picture!

I'm missing my sleep. I got spoiled over the summer not needing to have the kids at camp until 9 am. So I'm cranky, and tired. The kids are doing really well so far. I just hope it keeps going like this and I find a way to go to bed earlier or nap during the day!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!

There, I feel better now.

It's been a rough start here. A week before the kids started, our principal resigned. Throw that on top of a brand new language arts curriculum that we had a TWO HOUR training on, as well as a year-old math and science curriculum. I'm a tad bit stressed. Thankfully my kids are getting better- falling into a routine and knowing what's expected from them. So that helps a lot. I'm just tired of bringing work home all. the. time. I'm the type that likes to leave work at work. But I'd never leave if I did that.

Our new principal starts on 9/17. She is relocating from North Carolina with her family. Oh! And this year's saving grace may be our semi-balanced calendar. We get a full week for fall break, two full weeks for Christmas and a week and a half for spring break. *sigh* I can't wait.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow, so sorry, Kristin! I can't imagine how crazy that is for you! Our principal is such a pillar of support for everyone and she keeps it all together for us. I can't imagine losing a principal on such short notice on top of all the normal new stuff.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

Thanks! I'm sure everything will work out and be fine. I'm just a whiney baby right now. LOL