Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-14-2018, 01:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default PS CS5 vs PS CC

Piggy-backing off my previous post about losing all of my styles---deep breath, it isn't the end of the world........

I got a free year subscription to Photoshop CC through my photography class (see that's positive! ). I didn't want to go over to Photoshop CC until I was confident with my shadow styles. Since I lost everything, should I just take the leap and uninstall Photoshop CS5 and move forward with Photoshop CC?

Or is it a major learning curve going from an older Photoshop (I only missed Photoshop 6 before CC came out) to Photoshop CC?

I think I need someone to give me a hug (I need one--maybe a couple--today) and hold my hand

Who is using Photoshop CC?

**********THIS IS AN OLD QUESTION
Someone recently (in December) bumped this post. I have decided to continue using my Photoshop CS5 and not upgrade to CC because I cannot justify paying to rent a program when I already own the program.

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 12-09-2018 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I just made the jump two months ago! I went from CS5 to Photoshop CC. It's fantastic and I love it. There isn't a big learning curve at all.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

That's good to hear. Maybe that's what I'll do. Maybe that's why my computer closed down (dumb updates--I know, they are necessary and needed), so I could make the leap to CC since I've had it for almost a month and haven't done anything with it. Maybe God knew that and knew I needed this to happen to make the leap
Old 03-14-2018, 01:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

How do I make a shortcut to my desktop if I access Photoshop CC through the Creative Cloud Shortcut?

Also, how do I make a transparent background with a new canvas? It only allows black or white?

Old 03-14-2018, 02:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

With CS5 if I had too many layers and the file got super big would just turn black. So I had a 12X12 black paper after 5 hours of work!! Now I can have as many layers as I want (the file size can be huge) and if the computer somehow shuts down....it automatically saves the layout! Yay!
Old 03-15-2018, 11:14 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I moved from CS3 to CC three years ago and I never looked back. There was a very mild learning curve but you will love all the things you could possibly do with CC. And I love how they save a "recovery file" when the program crushes suddenly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjersti View Post
With CS5 if I had too many layers and the file got super big would just turn black. So I had a 12X12 black paper after 5 hours of work!! Now I can have as many layers as I want (the file size can be huge) and if the computer somehow shuts down....it automatically saves the layout! Yay!
Old 03-14-2018, 02:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm using Photoshop CC. Before this one, I had Photoshop 7 (you know... Like BEFORE the CS versions). It took me less than a week to get the hang of it. You'll love it!

Old 03-14-2018, 09:35 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I am still using CS4 and I don't see myself taking the leap any time soon
Old 03-15-2018, 01:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
I am still using CS4 and I don't see myself taking the leap any time soon
That was me. I can’t see paying to ‘rent’ a program when I paid for my CS5. But through my photography class I’ve been gifted a years subscription to both Photoshop CC and Lightroom. I’d be a fool to completely pass up the year. But I struggle with change. Depending on how the next 11 months go I’ll probably go back to CS5 because I can see that hindering with our budget, especially since we just started paying for a kid’s phone and she will be driving next year (gag, teenage insurance rates!!)
Old 03-15-2018, 09:01 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
That was me. I can’t see paying to ‘rent’ a program when I paid for my CS5. But through my photography class I’ve been gifted a years subscription to both Photoshop CC and Lightroom. I’d be a fool to completely pass up the year. But I struggle with change. Depending on how the next 11 months go I’ll probably go back to CS5 because I can see that hindering with our budget, especially since we just started paying for a kid’s phone and she will be driving next year (gag, teenage insurance rates!!)
That's what it is really... My husband is very reluctant to 'buy' me CC, so I thought since I am happy and comfortable with CS4, I'll just be content about it As long as it is working perfectly fine and doing what I want it to do, I am good.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:43 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
That was me. I can’t see paying to ‘rent’ a program when I paid for my CS5.
If you have a free year it definitely makes sense to use it, but I wonder how hard it will be to make yourself go back to CS5 later. There are some features of CC that I don't think I'd be able to give up after I got used to them.

The subscription is part of why I'm still using CS6. We have other subscription software, like Microsoft Office. But for some reason it seems different with CC. Maybe because I'm the only one who uses it, unlike MS Office. Part of it is also how they're used. Between work and school, someone here will always be using Word and Excel. But if I go through a long scrapping slump, I'm going to have to choose between paying for a program I'm not using and having no access to Photoshop. I bought my CS6 with an education discount, so the entire thing cost me what a single year of CC would cost. But here I am on year 4 or so of using CS6.

I looked into Affinity Photo recently to see if it was coming to Android, and it turns out it's a full graphics program for PCs and Macs that's meant to be a challenger for Photoshop. As of now it's $40 to buy, no subscription. I'm planning to keep using CS6 until it stops being compatible with a future computer--I don't know if that will happen in 1 year or 5. But when the time comes, I may research Affinity Photo again and give it a try before committing to CC.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:18 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
That was me. I can’t see paying to ‘rent’ a program when I paid for my CS5.
Exactly - My brother got a job at Adobe and gave me the family discount. Otherwise I'd still be using CS5.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Dealing with the same thing now and this is exactly how I feel about it! I purchased it and now I don't want to "rent" it too.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:05 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by abm234 View Post
Dealing with the same thing now and this is exactly how I feel about it! I purchased it and now I don't want to "rent" it too.
I have a couple more months of my free yearly subscription. Since April of this year, I have tried to use CC, but the ease of it isn't as easy as my CS5. I struggle, I get frustrated and then just open my CS5 where I feel comfortable and can do it with my eyes closed. I do however LOVE using the Lightroom that came with my subscription! I will miss that when my subscription expires, especially since I purchased a few addons for the program to edit some baby photos that I took earlier this year.

Alas, I decided to keep using the product that I outright own, rather than spend $9.99 to rent a product. Why spend money, that we don't necessary have, on a product that I own and isn't broken?

So no, not upgrading and probably won't until Adobe kills my CS5 or they allow us to outright buy a new program like in the past.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I have a couple more months of my free yearly subscription. Since April of this year, I have tried to use CC, but the ease of it isn't as easy as my CS5. I struggle, I get frustrated and then just open my CS5 where I feel comfortable and can do it with my eyes closed. I do however LOVE using the Lightroom that came with my subscription! I will miss that when my subscription expires, especially since I purchased a few addons for the program to edit some baby photos that I took earlier this year.

Alas, I decided to keep using the product that I outright own, rather than spend $9.99 to rent a product. Why spend money, that we don't necessary have, on a product that I own and isn't broken?

So no, not upgrading and probably won't until Adobe kills my CS5 or they allow us to outright buy a new program like in the past.
This makes me happy. I recently made the decision to reinstall CS5 instead of purchasing CC. I was questioning myself, but now I am happy. I use PSE at work... 16 I think. I don't care for it, it isn't as intuitive to me as PSCS5, but I received it as a gift so I installed it at work. Now, the boss has said he'll get me CC. If he does, I'll learn to use it. If they want to foot the bill, that's fine by me.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I went from PSE to CC so I'm sure there is much less of a learning curve for you! I wouldn't go back if my life depended on it! lol!
Old 03-16-2018, 11:20 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I know it's different since I'm a designer and the paying each month is easier to justify but gosh it's so nice having lightroom and photoshop! I think the photography plan is sooo worth it. I just wish they'd offer illustrator as cheap :P
Old 03-16-2018, 08:50 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I keep saying I’ll make the switch when CC comes up with a tool that magically extracts my elements for me LOL! As of right now I don’t know if it has a feature I can’t live without. I have the latest versions of PS, Lightroom and Illustrator before CC, and they work pretty well for my purposes, including auto-save in PS.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use CC and I love it. I don't remember much difference between older versions. Just cool added tools.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

LOVE CC! I came from PSE so there was that learning curve- but not much time lost! ALSO- SAVE YOUR STYLES/ACTIONS/Preferences as a set somewhere so if you lose them, you can reload them!
Old 12-08-2018, 09:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I went from CS6 to CC a couple of months ago. I am in HEAVEN. No learning curve. Just jump in!!!

Old 12-08-2018, 09:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

There really isn't much a learning curve with any of the PS upgrades. In most cases, it's just added/refined features. Also, technically you don't have to uninstall an older version if you have the space on your machine. I'm sure you know this, but definitely save a copy of your styles after you get them rebuilt! That way if something happens, you can reload them all with a click or two. Good luck with your decision!
Old 12-09-2018, 03:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I actually went back to PSE cause I wasn't using CC enough to justify the cost each month especially when the intro price ran out on me and was increased

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 12-09-2018, 05:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Appreciate everybody's input. What added features or tools does CC have that would be helpful for scrapbooking?