Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Default HELP! Mac Question

Hi! I got a new Mac one year ago today and I have YET to scrapbook on it! I had a PC. I'm not buying any kits or scrabooking until I figure out how to use it. I figure since it is NSD I should start to figure this out!! All my scrapbook stash is on an external hardrive organized from my pc folders by themes. They have the pretty little picture of what is in the kit on the folder. I'm so visual and love this but I can't figure out how to do that on my mac. It shows just an brown folder. Also, I can't get a workflow going and I feel like I need to bring my kits and pics from my pc(external hardrive) over to my new mac but I'm stuck. I wish there was a class of workflow for people that use a mac showing how they organize their kits and photos. I'm loving my mac but this area is not as good as it was in the pc. I must be missing something. I see Janet had a class but it is for Elements and I have Photoshop. Anyhow, does anyone use a mac that uses i-photo to organize their kits? How do you set it up so you can see the picture on the folder? I feel like I'm a beginner all over again. Thank you for letting me ramble. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I organize the same way on my mac that I did on my pc. I use Adobe Bridge though to organize not iphoto. Somebody here uses iphoto thought lemme see if I can search and see who it was for ya maybe she can help you.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 05-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I use picasa to organize my kits and I love it, I personally wouldn't recommend iphoto but I guess it is a personal choice
Old 05-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm on a PC so I don't know if there's a better or easier way, but I did a quick search for you on how to use an image as a folder preview and came up with this tutorial. Good luck!
Old 05-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Img2Icns is all you need to make your folders look pretty. It's free to download ( you don't need the paid version). Then all you do is drag your preview image jpg from Finder onto the window and then drag the folder icon onto the preview and it'll make an icon for the folder for you. SUPER easy once you get the hang of it.

This is the link for that: http://www.img2icnsapp.com

I don't do anything fancy for organizing my scrap stuff outside of Finder so I'm afraid I'm not much help there.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:23 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I do the same as Lynnette. I love Img2Icns. It goes really fast once you get the hang of it. I keep every designer's kits within a folder with their name, no other organization beyond that since I typically stay within a kit when I scrapbook.

we had a conversation about this program in this thread. Just mentioning it because it helped explain some confusion some were having.
https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...light=Img2Icns

Last edited by Julie Billingsley; 05-04-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Here is a tutorial we have about getting started...
https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/t...oppe-products/
At the bottom of the post it tells you how to make a picture for your mac folders.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

There's a way to do make the folders the preview, without the app, but for the life of me I can't remember it right now!
Old 05-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapsuzy View Post
There's a way to do make the folders the preview, without the app, but for the life of me I can't remember it right now!
Yep, you can by opening the info panel for the folder and copying and pasting the preview image to the icon there. But seriously, the app makes it SO much easier and faster.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:35 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Thank you everyone! Img2icns was a GREAT TIP!!! I'm ecstatic! I so appreciate each one of you responding with help. You all are wonderful!
Old 05-14-2014, 01:16 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

If you use the Mavericks operating system it has a new tag feature that is fabulous. I was using ACDSee to organize, but the tags are better and easier in Mavericks and will never be obsolete since it is part of the Mac operating system and not a third party software.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizj View Post
If you use the Mavericks operating system it has a new tag feature that is fabulous. I was using ACDSee to organize, but the tags are better and easier in Mavericks and will never be obsolete since it is part of the Mac operating system and not a third party software.
I've been wanting to play around more with this for awhile. How do you find your tagged items - Spotlight search?
Old 05-14-2014, 01:30 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
I've been wanting to play around more with this for awhile. How do you find your tagged items - Spotlight search?
I've been using Finder tags, not to keep track of my stash so much (except I do tag my templates according to how many photo spots they have), but mostly to keep track of layouts . . . which designer's products I used, etc.

Spotlight search works great with Finder tags. Also, in the Finder sidebar, there's a link for All Tags. If you click on that, it brings up a list of all your tags and you can click on one of them to bring up anything that uses that tag. Make sense?

ETA: You can also Sort By and Arrange By Tags in the View menu.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:20 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I use the sidebar for tags, as well as for saved searches. You do have to put in a little effort to tag stuff initially, but it helps go beyond simple finder searches for supplies that are not named by the designer in a way that finder can find. You can use colors or names now with tags under Mavericks, whereas under older operating systems you could only color code.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I am using ACDSee for Mac, I always loved it, and when I got my Mac last year, I went with it.