Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-29-2018, 12:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default End of School

It got me thinking, with the calendar flipping to May in a few short days, when do our kids get out of school/college? How many more days?

My oldest is done with her Jr. year on May 24th. However, she has an AP exam next week and all of her finals start May 14th. But she also starts her three college classes at the local community college on May 29th, so she will get a 2-day summer vacation

My middle is done with her 8th grade year on May 25th. I do not believe she has any half-day due to finals as she's just in the middle school. She'll get a good amount of summer vacation, which she's excited about because she's about fed up with school--which isn't her favorite thing at all!

So we are looking at 19-20 more days of school for the kiddos!!

By the way, I'm probably that minority that LOVES my children being home and not at school. I miss them so much when they are away all day. I love having them home, interacting with them and enjoying their presence. Yes, I'm strange. But I dread the start of school and party the end of school. Maybe it's the former homeschooling mama in me, but I can't wait for them to be home!!
Old 04-29-2018, 01:28 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Trevor's last day is June 14th - that evening is 8th grade "graduation" and he'll be done. But, he goes back August 16th because of the harvest break he'll get in late September. This is the last year they are doing harvest break as the majority of the kids are no longer working on farms, so they voted to do away with it.

Vicky's last day is June 2oth but she won't go back till the beginning of September.

This year is going to be a bit screwed up with T getting out sooner but going back sooner and her out later and back later. Next year they will both be on the same schedule once again and that I look forward to.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:44 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Our kids go until the end of June here, we always start after Labor Day.

My daughter will be finishing grade 9 and my son will be finishing grade 4!! It goes SO fast!

Summers are hard here.. It is hard working from home sometimes because I feel even more guilty than usual when I have to work. Include a shift working husband and it's tough! I'm hoping to somehow find a way to just maybe work a little less this summer to enjoy our time together a little more
Old 04-29-2018, 02:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have one left in school. She will be done with her Junior year on May 24th and we are leaving on summer vacay shortly after for most of the month of June.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinShannon View Post
Trevor's last day is June 14th - that evening is 8th grade "graduation" and he'll be done. But, he goes back August 16th because of the harvest break he'll get in late September. This is the last year they are doing harvest break as the majority of the kids are no longer working on farms, so they voted to do away with it.

Vicky's last day is June 2oth but she won't go back till the beginning of September.

This year is going to be a bit screwed up with T getting out sooner but going back sooner and her out later and back later. Next year they will both be on the same schedule once again and that I look forward to.
What is a harvest break? They start school, but get a few weeks off in Sept?
Old 04-29-2018, 02:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
I have one left in school. She will be done with her Junior year on May 24th and we are leaving on summer vacay shortly after for most of the month of June.
Oh where are you going?

I also didn't know we had a child the same grade/age!!
Old 04-29-2018, 02:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thankfully mine are in school until June 15th (we start after labor day too!) I love having them home- but at the same time- it's a lot harder to get my stuff done/everything takes more time than when I'm home by myself (cleaning, shopping, etc.) Plus- we like to go do fun things in the summer so I end up scrapping less for sure! We are down to 35 days I think?
Old 04-29-2018, 03:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Mine are done on May 24th but I'm being "that mom" and pulling them out a day early (It's only a half day and they only watch movies anyways) because we're headed back to Disneyland! I want to avoid grad nights so I need that day for travel.

I'm really looking forward to having them home too. This school year has been so busy and we could really use a break! Besides Disney, we're headed home to WI for most of the summer so I don't know how much of an actual break we'll get but at least it'll be fun stuff instead of school work!
Old 04-29-2018, 04:58 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
What is a harvest break? They start school, but get a few weeks off in Sept?
Harvest break is a 3-week break that for years has been given to the high school students so they can work the potato harvest (Sept/Oct). Even when I was in high school here, I didn't work harvest - I worked my McD's job. Nowadays the % of kids that are actually working harvest on a farm is like less than 5%. It's costly cause it means the other schools are still open and buses still have to run, etc. They decided to do away with it since there aren't enough students who actually work on farms.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids don’t end until June 12 I’m a bit annoyed by that because I was hoping to have all of June with them home helping me go through all of our crap and cleaning/organizing before the move. I’m going to have to do it by myself now

Old 04-29-2018, 08:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
My kids don’t end until June 12 I’m a bit annoyed by that because I was hoping to have all of June with them home helping me go through all of our crap and cleaning/organizing before the move. I’m going to have to do it by myself now
And that also stinks for them too because when you move here, school starts August 13 so they'll have a short summer
Old 04-29-2018, 09:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our last day of school is my daughter's birthday, May 25. I struggle with them home every day because they get on each other's nerves so easily ha! My youngest still naps too so school breaks throw him off. I do love the laid back part of summer though!
Old 04-29-2018, 11:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My daughter's last day is June 27th or 28th, I haven't checked yet.

Summer doesn't mean much other than I get a couple weeks holidays. I work full time and drop her off before school at a dayhome and pick her up after, so the only difference is she doesn't leave the dayhome for school. Plus it costs a lot more :/

Old 04-29-2018, 11:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

June 22 for us ... my oldest will be going into HS next year, eeks.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:08 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My daughter's last day was supposed to be June 1 (a Friday) but is now the following Monday. I'm seriously debating on whether to bother to take her that day or not.

This is my first working summer with the kids so I'll have them both Mondays, my parents will have them both Tuesdays, and they'll go to the babysitter W-F. I'm trying to talk my husband into working from home on Fridays as it would save us $200/month to keep the kids with him & I am dreading our daycare costs doubling over the summer (and superdreading how much preschool + daycare will cost next year).

I am the anti-Wendy and so excited that my son is finally potty-trained and old enough to be shipped off to VBS and sports camp with his sister in the evenings!

I do love planning out fun things to do over the summer and am going to try really hard to plan our day trips to pick strawberries, to the zoo across the state, etc. on Mondays so I can still go. The nice thing is that my sister is a teacher & my mom is retired so they have superflexible schedules and should hopefully be able to come along with enough advance warning.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
And that also stinks for them too because when you move here, school starts August 13 so they'll have a short summer
Awww well crap. School years start late and end late here. I think they do that so the kids can get the most out of the sunshine

Old 04-30-2018, 08:01 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

School ends June 29 for Filip this year and he start again September 3! I love having the kids home as well . They do drive me nuts sometimes, but still, I just love to have them around
Old 04-30-2018, 10:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Schools go until June 20 this year due to so many snow days. But Cheyanne graduates this year from HS and is done June 6th with Graduation on June 10th.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Done first week in June and back third week in August. Except band camp is pretty much all of August. Both my kids will be in high school this upcoming school year.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My oldest graduates from High School June 8th! It's so exciting!
Old 04-30-2018, 01:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My son finished his year at college on Friday and came home yesterday.

I work in a high school, the students are here until June 27th (last exam day) and I am here until June 29th. We all go back the day after Labour Day.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Over the last couple of years they've been moving our school year earlier, and I'm not a fan. I prefer our old way, going back after Labor Day then going until late June with more breaks in the school year. But now we go back the week before Labor Day and get out June 15th with fewer breaks for the kids.

I'm mixed about the kids getting out. I don't work summers, so I like having them home the first 4-6 weeks. After that I'm tired of the oldest complaining because I'm making us go out while the youngest complains we stay home too much. And of course that leads to all 3 bickering and picking on each other.

This summer is going to be especially hard. We've had a lot of expensive home repairs this year, so we're doing fewer camps and activities, only 1 or 2 weeks per child. Plus my 12 year old usually attends a free morning special needs program through the school system for a few weeks, which at least gives me a chance to recharge and get things done. This year they don't think he needs it, so he'll just be with me almost all summer. Staying patient with him when I don't get any breaks is tough! DH feels like he's working over the summer and I'm not, so the whole summer is my "break" and he's the one who deserves to relax and do his own thing over the weekends. (Never mind that after a week off with the kids, he can't wait to get back to work because he needs the break from the kids' constant chatter & demands, Ben's needs, etc.)

So yeah, I'm not looking forward to this summer, and I feel somewhat guilty that I'm not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2018, 06:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
My daughter's last day was supposed to be June 1 (a Friday) but is now the following Monday. I'm seriously debating on whether to bother to take her that day or not.

This is my first working summer with the kids so I'll have them both Mondays, my parents will have them both Tuesdays, and they'll go to the babysitter W-F. I'm trying to talk my husband into working from home on Fridays as it would save us $200/month to keep the kids with him & I am dreading our daycare costs doubling over the summer (and superdreading how much preschool + daycare will cost next year).

I am the anti-Wendy and so excited that my son is finally potty-trained and old enough to be shipped off to VBS and sports camp with his sister in the evenings!

I do love planning out fun things to do over the summer and am going to try really hard to plan our day trips to pick strawberries, to the zoo across the state, etc. on Mondays so I can still go. The nice thing is that my sister is a teacher & my mom is retired so they have superflexible schedules and should hopefully be able to come along with enough advance warning.
Hey, kudos to potty-training! My strong-willed, now 5 year, old was a BEAST to potty trained! I thought he wasn't ever going to potty train! Took us TWO YEARS!!! I'm rejoicing with you, because I know how hard that can be and I know how rewarding it can be when they get to do big girl/boy activities because they are finally potty trained!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagi View Post
School ends June 29 for Filip this year and he start again September 3! I love having the kids home as well . They do drive me nuts sometimes, but still, I just love to have them around
I think it's just you and me who feel this way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
Schools go until June 20 this year due to so many snow days. But Cheyanne graduates this year from HS and is done June 6th with Graduation on June 10th.
Congratulations to your daughter on graduation!! You must be SO proud of her!! Does she know where she wants to go to college in the fall or what she wants to do when she's out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjersti View Post
My oldest graduates from High School June 8th! It's so exciting!
I didn't know you had any older kids...I thought they were just young little ones!! Congratulations to your child!!! I'm excited for them. Graduation is such a HUGE milestone!! I'm asking the same question above, do they know where they are wanting to go for college, what they want to be or what they are doing?

For those graduating, I only ask because while my daughter is finishing her jr year of high school, she's now a college student because she has met all of her graduation credits. She's currently passing the thought back and forth between Psychology, Criminal Justice, Forensic Science or Journalism. She just had her SAT scores (we don't even know what they are yet) to a handful of Ivy League schools to see if they would accept her. I'm so nervous for her, but it would be great to talk to other parents going through this right now with their kids as well!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Over the last couple of years they've been moving our school year earlier, and I'm not a fan. I prefer our old way, going back after Labor Day then going until late June with more breaks in the school year. But now we go back the week before Labor Day and get out June 15th with fewer breaks for the kids.

I'm mixed about the kids getting out. I don't work summers, so I like having them home the first 4-6 weeks. After that I'm tired of the oldest complaining because I'm making us go out while the youngest complains we stay home too much. And of course that leads to all 3 bickering and picking on each other.

This summer is going to be especially hard. We've had a lot of expensive home repairs this year, so we're doing fewer camps and activities, only 1 or 2 weeks per child. Plus my 12 year old usually attends a free morning special needs program through the school system for a few weeks, which at least gives me a chance to recharge and get things done. This year they don't think he needs it, so he'll just be with me almost all summer. Staying patient with him when I don't get any breaks is tough! DH feels like he's working over the summer and I'm not, so the whole summer is my "break" and he's the one who deserves to relax and do his own thing over the weekends. (Never mind that after a week off with the kids, he can't wait to get back to work because he needs the break from the kids' constant chatter & demands, Ben's needs, etc.)

So yeah, I'm not looking forward to this summer, and I feel somewhat guilty that I'm not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I wouldn't feel guilty. It's hard when everything relies on you. It's hard when you don't get those breaks and you need those breaks. I hadn't thought about the parents who still had to work and pay for child care during the summer months. That bums me out reading. Being an adult is hard and sometimes you have to make hard decisions and put yourself last in order to do everything for your child's needs right then. You are all amazing parents and I commend you for everything you are doing--even if it means a little dread that the kiddos will be home
Old 05-01-2018, 11:47 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My oldest son is done with his spring college semester on May 12th. My youngest son is finished with his Junior year in HS on June 1, then starts summer school on June 4. He will have about a 2 week break in August before he starts his senior year.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My girls last day is June 15th and they go back Aug 29th. This past year we started before Labor day, and it looks like they are sticking to that schedule. I would prefer to start earlier and get out earlier. Not start earlier and get out the exact same time as before! Oh well.

I like having my girls home during the summer, except when they start arguing. When that happens, I send them to different rooms and take away electronics. Seems to help.

We have one trip planned at the end of summer, but they'll be busy with VBS, Teen camp, and the grandparents season passes to a museum and a zoo that we can hopefully use some!

Now is when they throw all the end of the year activities onto the calendar though, so it gets busy!! Awards programs, band concerts, field trips, 8th grade trip, 8th grade dance, 8th grade graduation and all the extra projects the teachers want to finish up before the end of the year! Makes for a VERY busy life (with only one car!) Should be fun!
Old 05-01-2018, 06:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
My girls last day is June 15th and they go back Aug 29th. This past year we started before Labor day, and it looks like they are sticking to that schedule. I would prefer to start earlier and get out earlier. Not start earlier and get out the exact same time as before! Oh well.

I like having my girls home during the summer, except when they start arguing. When that happens, I send them to different rooms and take away electronics. Seems to help.

We have one trip planned at the end of summer, but they'll be busy with VBS, Teen camp, and the grandparents season passes to a museum and a zoo that we can hopefully use some!

Now is when they throw all the end of the year activities onto the calendar though, so it gets busy!! Awards programs, band concerts, field trips, 8th grade trip, 8th grade dance, 8th grade graduation and all the extra projects the teachers want to finish up before the end of the year! Makes for a VERY busy life (with only one car!) Should be fun!
It sounds busy and sounds about right!! The school always throws everything at you the last few weeks! I hope you are able to catch a break in between it all and enjoy it!
Old 05-01-2018, 06:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think my college daughter is done in a week or two? LOL

My high school daughter is done May 29th. They go back mid August and she's in band camp for full days for a month before school starts.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE when there's no school. Summers are never long enough for me in that regard.

Last edited by Keely~B; 05-01-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:06 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Well into June for us and I so wish we had a school schedule that got out in May.