Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default RQOTD - Do you make any of your Christmas gifts?

When we were first married I hand made gifts for people every year. Rubber stamped card collections, blankets, ceramics, etc. Now that I've gotten older and our budget is bigger I find myself not making so much by hand, well other than calendars.

So what about you? Are you crafty? Do you make any of the holiday gifts you give?
Old 11-14-2013, 09:33 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've crocheted a few things for my MIL, last year I made a hat & scarf for Keira's teacher. We usually bake cookies for the teachers too. This year I'm thinking if crocheting them each a scarf & ear warmer. That's about it. I want to make more, but always run out if time it seems.

I do calendars for MIL too.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Vanessa - you reminded me that I usually will bake and make candy each year. I send a huge tray to Jason's work. I also bring in one tray for the IT guys where I work (it helps to be in good with these guys when you need something!) and one tray for everyone that works in the same suite with me.

I do usually make some kind of packaging for the teacher's gifts. This year we have high school and middle school teachers so I'm not even sure if I'm giving gifts. There are 15 of them in total. o_0
Old 11-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

yep, I do. But not all of them. Mostly because a lot of the family wouldn't appreciate the time and energy put into homemade gifts.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes I do too. I have a small family and other than Cheyanne and my son and grandkids I give gifts to only 6 other people.

My parents are older and have everything they want/need so I make them a calendar every year and other things they would like. I make my sister something every year. I make my bachelor cousin who spends Christmas with us every year frozen meals to put in his freezer. My niece and nephew have more than enough toys so I make them fleece pants or quilts (they love to use them when watching TV on the couch). I bake about 15 different kinds of cookies and make a platter for my 3 closest friends and their families.

I buy a couple things for my grandkids and make a calendar for my son and his wife. I usually get them a gift card to help them out with things they might need around the house.

And that's it. Small family, low-key, stress-free Christmas
Old 11-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I LOVE LOVE making handmade gifts. But, I am so bad about starting my projects early enough. I always think of starting them around now and it's just not enough time! I need to start them back in August.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use to a lot more so. It seems most don't appreciate it so I don't bother. :/
Old 11-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We, too, keep gift giving to only a few people. We give gifts to all sets of parents, our long time friends, and we do fun things for each other. I do make scrap book albums for our parents, but otherwise, I don't make anything else for gifts.

Our families and friends appreciate handmade items, but we all have so much. We try to get everyone experiential gifts to enjoy like dinners out, short trips, computers, a day at the spa, etc. Things people enjoy, but don't always do for themselves.

Last edited by catgoddess; 11-14-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:56 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

outside of the ornaments I make for my son's church teachers... and calendars - I do not... DH's family wouldn't appreciate it, in fact they would think I'm incredibly cheap.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

As our family has grown, we've made the decision to focus our gift giving on the kids. So I give each of the adults a calendar I scrap, but that's it. I also bake for the teachers and therapists at my kids' schools and sometimes decorate the containers with scrappy stuff. There are so many of them (11) that I save their bigger gift (gift cards) for the end of school.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

All my Christmas cards and gift card holders are handmade every year for close family. In the beginning members of my family didn't understand or appreciate handmade crafts but the more they've seen they now look forward to the unique gifts. Last year I made journal books, address books, recipe books for the women and they loved them
Old 11-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I make a calendar for my folks (and I really need to get started on that) and sometimes I do them a photo book as well.

I used to make book marks but they both have kindles and ipads now.

We're not really a hand made bunch.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I make all sorts of stuff. This year I'm hoping to at least make some doll clothes and some felt super hero masks. I also might make the new Ana White play stand she just posted. Our kids would love to put up a puppet show, and all of the options will make it a new toy all the time.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

When I had less money and more time, I made more. Now, I just make the calendars (the grandparents specifically ask for these).
Old 11-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do the calendars for the grandmothers and myself, and I will quilt something here and there... last year mom and mom in law both got lap quilts. This year I figure they do not need another one lol
Old 11-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i don't have time. 3 kids, two of which are homeschooled, the third is too young.. yeah no. we do make an occasional hand print give for grandparents, but those take like two seconds, lol

Old 11-14-2013, 07:18 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Not as much. I used to make jewelry or candles, but I have less time than before I had kids. I do make Photobooks each year, but those are not homemade in the traditional sense.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I usually make scrapbooks/photobooks. We mainly give to the kids and grandparents now.

I'm making tutus for my niece and her dolly this year (if I get my act together).
Old 11-14-2013, 11:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Lord no. That's why I scrap on the computer!

If I knew how to do things by hand, that's how I'd do my scrapping, too. Besides, isn't that what Target is for?!
Old 11-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I do make those "Cookies in aJar" type things or assemble foodie or spa type gift baskets for my girlfriends. Sometimes we do a "Date Night" or "Family Fun Night" baskets as well.