Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scrappychic
Default Cost of movies

I was reading Becca's post on Baby Mama and saw that I'm not the only one waiting for movies to come out on DVD. Last time I went to the movies was back in Aug for my b-day (and it has to be a special occassion like that for us to go). We had to pay $8.75 for each ticket (x2=$17.50) plus popcorn and drinks. So it seems like getting the DVD is just as much or just a bit more, depending if they're on sale at Target or something.

How much is it in your area? Matinees are $6, and that's what you use to pay for regular price. I think I'll stick to the comfort of my home, microwave popcorn and the option to rewind if I miss something.

*Dianne Rigdon*Jan Guest for Krystal Hartley*
Old 04-28-2008, 01:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

This program is the only way we go to movies in the theater anymore:
http://fivebuckclub.net/

We also use Redbox a lot, too. Can't beat a movie for a buck! You just have to remember to return it the next day.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

That's exactly why we don't go to the movies anymore. We went twice on our vacation in august cuz there wasn't a whole lot to do, an it was easily $35 each time. It's ridiculous.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We don't go that often either! Unless it is a Five Buck Club movie and even then we usually wait for it to be on DVD! It is very expensive to go to the movies anymore! Not to mention the gas to get there too! LOL!!
Old 04-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Tickets here for the "big" theaters (ie, not the cheap theaters) is $13/ticket. Matinees are like $8 I think. If you buy popcorn & drinks, that adds another $15 or more to the cost...it's crazy!

I don't know about everywhere else, but I know that at the Costco here, you can buy packages that you can get 2 tickets to the movies and snacks for like $20.

Also, I signed up and got a promotional card from Cineplex, you get points every time you go to the movies, and once you collect so many points you get a free ticket. You also get 10% off at the concession stands. So far I think I've got 300 points (you need 2000 I think to get a free movie), and I've had it nearly a year...we don't go very often!
Old 04-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

The only time we go to a movie is if a good one's playing at the drive-in. It's 10 bucks a car so we can swing that every now and then. But as for the theatres- it's been a long time since I've been to one. We just do netflix.

Tickets here are 8.50 but the drinks and popcorn are what really eat you up.

facebook
Old 04-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We rarely go to the theater to see movies these days. Last summer, DH & I took JP to see two movies. For three matinee tickets and snacks, it was more than $50 each trip. We're considering taking Devin to a movie this summer (it'd be his first theater movie), but after paying $50 for three of us...I'm hesitant to go with four! At least the gas wouldn't cost too much...the theater is less than a mile from our house.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

When I lived in SoCal it was $12 for a night show. We would do the Costco deal if we REALLY wanted to see something. Now I live in Utah, and before movies are released to DVD (but after they've left the "big" theater), the $1 Theater plays them. I live in a college town, so it's often crowded with the young singles, but you can't beat the cheap price!
Old 04-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Mandy, I wish our cheap theaters were a dollar! I think even they are up to $8 here now...and those are movies that are out of the "big" theaters and just prior to their DVD release. It sucks!
Old 04-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

I guess we're an exception to the rule. If we go to the small town by where we live we can see a firstun matinee on Sat or Sun for $4 each. Usually DH and I will just go and spend $8...I bring a few bottles of water in my purse and a ziploc of snackfood (crackers, chips, m-n-m's or something) as well. We are out $8 and that's all! Of course we have large plex's with higher prices and evenings are higher too..then there's the cheapie theater if you care to wait...but overall if I can't wait (like last weekend when I didn't want to wait any longer to see 21) we just pay the $8
Old 04-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

JB and I went last weekend to see Forgetting Sarah Marshall (*eye roll* he's an Apatow-nerd) - I think we spent close to $35 for just to two of us - after the $8.50 tickets, then a combo popcorn/large soda dealage (cuz.. really. I can grab two straws)

Fan of:

Old 04-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We actually go about once a month. The prices here aren't all that bad, the matinee/military discount price is $5.75 so it's only $11.50 for both of us. We do usually get a drink and popcorn which is about another $10 or so. I'll gladly take that over the prices in California - it was easily 10-12 a person just for tickets.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have one theater that has regular times for $6 and matinee for $4. I don't know how either! It's a nice theater! Then we have a dollar theater... which is what we usually do if we go to a movie. And then most theaters are $8 and $6 for matinee. We don't go much though, that's for sure! And actually, we usually reserve movies from the library once they are ordered and get to check them out for free when the DVD comes out--that's our favorite way.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

i think movie ticket prices are crazy. i think it is over $9 here.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have On Demand movies at home, so we may be watching a lot more of those!
Old 04-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If we want to go out, it's almost always to the $1 movies. The full price aren't terrible (7.25 for an evening and 5.50 for a matinee), but still pricey. DH installed a projector with a 108" screen last summer, so now we stay home, pop our own popcorn, drink our own sodas, rent from Redbox, and now we don't even have to hire a babysitter!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah i have no been to the movies in i dont know how long for this same reason. We have a lot of movie nights at home.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ya know, it's sad. I don't even know the cost of a movie in our area these days because it's been so long since we've been to one. I want to say it's about 7.50 though. DH and I used to go to the movies weekly, but then kids happened. No more movies for us, except on the rare occasion we actually have a sitter.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, California gets gouged on everything - movies, gas, houses, etc. I couldn't think of anywhere else I'd want to move to though. Everything is so convenient here, I guess that's why you pay up for living here.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's about $8-9 here as well for any of the local theaters. You can go to see movies after they've gone through the first run at the $2.50 discount theater, but it's a long distance to travel (so we eat it in gas money) and they are scuzzy. We end up doing the matinee which is (last I knew) $5.75 each. And we don't get the snacks there - I usually sneak something in in my pocket or purse, or we eat just beforehand at a nearby chain restaurant (like Steak & Shake) since we'll pay about the same amount for food but at least at the restaurant we get better quality. We only go to a movie if both of us REALLY want to see it and DH is feeling well enough. Otherwise most of our movies are via Blockbuster/Netflix.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fan of ALL the designers at:
Old 04-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We don't get to the movies as much as we used to (mainly due to having no babysitter) but I agree that it's getting so expensive. An evening movie is almost $10 per adult here. The prices for the food is high too. I usually bring in my own candy from CVS and we share a large drink. Most of our movies are seen via Netflix now.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

Matinee is $6.50, adult evening is $8.75. Add to that the cost of a babysitter - $30 for an average length movie plus drive time, $40+ if we get dinner first (plus another $40-50 for dinner), then there is the cost of 2 gallons of gas to get there & back & any drink & snack we want at the theater. Plus the Fandago processing fee because there is nothing else to do in this town & if you don't pre buy your ticket you may not get one.

No wonder we never do "dinner and movie" date nights any more. We use Netflix mostly. Last movie I saw in a theater was Ratatoille, but I do already have a sitter lined up to go see Indiana Jones.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We probably go to the movies once a month. We used to go more. DH was an assistant manger for 10yrs of our marriage!! Rockin' deal there. We never paid for a movie!! It was awesome. But we let that job go. I miss it and yet I don't. We used to be total movie freaks. But now we are lucky to make it once a month. I think the prices are $9+. I usually just buy the tickets at Costco, can get two for $15. Then I hold on to them until we can use them.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I don't have any idea how much movie tickets are here, even. We never go. I think the last movie I saw was Elmo In Grouchland and that was the summer kids movies w/ Abby. LOL

I'm going to see Indiana Jones though.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We hardly ever go to the movies... Usually it is like almost $20.00 just to get in the door!

Once we took the girls to see Shrek 3 and it was $30.00 not including popcorn or soda!!! I about fell over when they said the total.

~~Siggie by Laura (emmasmommy)~~
Old 04-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

ya evening movies are 8.50, matinees are 6 and we have a cinema saver for 2bucks! we go to that one a lot! movies go to that cinema about 3-6 weeks after they premier. =) a lot of times we wait to own them also!
Old 04-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I was so shocked to go the movies with my gf's the other day and a movie was like $12!!!! That means if DH and I want to go to a movie it's $24 for the movie, plus snacks, plus a babysitter. No way. We're redbox all the way! LOL

*My Etsy*
Old 04-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hmm, I'm gonna check out this Redbox thing. Never heard of it before but it's cheaper then it's worth a try. I would like to see some movies in theaters like Indie Jones!

Old 04-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

We have a $1 theater here too, but the kids always want popcorn and drinks, so it is not too much of a savings. The food is ridiculously expensive! We usually wait til it's out on DVD, then usually rent from the $1 box if we can.

I am waiting for PS I Love You to come out on DVD- my dh recently saw it on a plane coming home from a trip and he said it was awesome- he cried. And he is NOT a chick flick kind of guy! It must be good!

July Guest:
Old 04-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We just DON'T go to the theater anymore..A family of 6 holy crap, I could buy 4 DVD's for that price.......We do go to the drive-in every so often but have not been in a while, it is def cheaper!!!!! I wait until they come out on DVD for sure..My 14 year old has been to the movies more this year than I have in the past 3 years........

Proudly creating for:
LCC by Amy Stoffel, Cori Gammon, DIGI SCRAP ADDICTS Site CT,
Faith True, Geek Chic Scraps, Jac Bernardo, Laura Banasiak, Litabells Designs, Kelley Mickus, Micheline Martin Designs, Nikki Epperson,
Penny Springmann, SCRAP ORCHARD Site CT, THE DAILY SCRAPPER Site CT