Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to tettletop20 Send a message via Skype™ to tettletop20
Default Knoxville, TN

So of course, not 6 months after we just moved to our dream home, remodeled the kitchen, and added on, we are finding out that hubby may have to take a job somewhere within his company....in Knoxville, TN. Nothing is set in stone yet, just early phases but I'm born and raised a Michigan girl, so if any of you have any info on that area I'd appreciate it! Do you like living there?

Honestly though, the milder winters are a big YES for me, but moving away from family scares me.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I know nothing about TN, but I am SO with you about moving away from family. I am so connected to my family I'm having a hard time thinking about moving, too.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

One of my best friends lives in Oak Ridge which is just outside knoxville. That town has a great school system and she is very very happy there.

She is a pastor at a church nearby.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've been to Knoxville for business a number of times and loved it... had a coworker who was born and raised in WI move to Knoxville just for the winters! haha... an so many other friends from there that would go and on about how great it was to live there...
Old 08-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm... all I know about Knoxville is the weather is slightly more mild than it is here because it's in the mountains. lol! I don't leave west Tennessee too often. Correction - I don't go to east Tennessee almost ever. I've been like once. Nashville is as east as I get in this state.

Oh and as a Memphis fan I have to agree with this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7G7loR2VVw
*not the state by the way. lol if you move to Knoxville be prepared for lots of University of TN fans.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her

Last edited by MommaTrish; 08-19-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have only ever been through Knoxville and stayed the night a time or two, but it seems like everyone I know who lives in TN really loves it! It is definitely really pretty and warmer!
Old 08-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I lived in Knoxville for about three years and I LOVED it. My daughter was born there. We only moved away because my husband couldn't find a job (it's a college town--competition is fierce). I would move back in a heartbeat.

The weather is always pleasant! Spring is AMAZING. There are these Bradford Pear trees that "snow" petals. And summer is almost without humidity. I moved there in July (from Florida) and I was amazed that you could sit outside in the shade and there would be a sweet, cool breeze. With the humidity we have here, you can't escape the heat. Fall is gorgeous and full of color. No one knows what to do when it snows, though. LOL! Knoxville sits between two little hills in a little valley, so you see trees and mountains all the time. Plus, you have the Smokies!

If you need any practical advice on neighborhoods, just let me know! I'd be happy to help.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm about an hour and a half from Knoxville, my Sister lived there for many years and loved it! I'm in a small town here so I consider Knoxville a "big city". Lots and lots of UT football fans, plenty to do. Lots of good Doctors and schools. We actually see Aiden's neurologist in Knoxville because he is amazing!
Old 08-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I've lived in Knoxville for most of my life -- grew up here, moved away when I got married, but moved back after three years.

The winters are usually very mild, the summers are usually brutally humid (not as bad as Memphis or points further South, though), and fall and spring are divine.

It is a major college town....frankly I am kinda tired of all the UT stuff (and I have two degrees from the school!), but you get used to it. And football Saturdays are the best time to go shopping -- during game time anyway!

The school system is pretty good -- some schools are better than others. If you end up moving here, I can give you an idea about the schools in the different parts of town. The Oak Ridge school system (about 20 minutes from Knoxville) is pretty good, as mentioned above.

Oh -- and we just got a Publix and Trader Joes. And we're getting a Costco at the end of the year. AND a Whole Foods is supposed to open up in 2013.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the area!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I have no idea about living there but I love love love Tennessee.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to tettletop20 Send a message via Skype™ to tettletop20

You guys are making me feel more at ease. Thank you, I really appreciate it!

I know he's got to interview yet and all that stuff, but it's most likely gonna happen one way or another (if not TN, some other state....), so we'll see.

I will definitely be in touch with you guys if it's the case.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyovol View Post
Oh -- and we just got a Publix and Trader Joes. And we're getting a Costco at the end of the year. AND a Whole Foods is supposed to open up in 2013.
Well, golly. Now I really want to move back! Ha! I had heard rumors that a Publix was coming years ago and I was like "Yeah... never! They are a Florida store!" Well, look at that. Now no one will ever need to waste time at Kroger again.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have friends there who LOVE it.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by webseitler View Post
Well, golly. Now I really want to move back! Ha! I had heard rumors that a Publix was coming years ago and I was like "Yeah... never! They are a Florida store!" Well, look at that. Now no one will ever need to waste time at Kroger again.
Seriously!

The Publix opened at the intersection of Northshore and Pell. Parkway (not sure how much of that was built up when you were here) and there is a Kroger store about a block away -- on the other side of the interstate. That Kroger location has really stepped up its customer service and free samples since the beginning of summer....I am curious to know how long it will last!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, yeah! I know where that is. I've been to that Kroger, too. That's near the place where my church built a new building (on Westland). We used to meet at West High School for years--those were the days!