Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default what do you do with old layouts?

Scrapping is an evolution, right? I mean, we don't just become great scrappers overnight, we learn and evolve with time, practice and in some cases training.

I look at some of my first LOs that I posted here:

or

And I shudder. I mean those are HORRIBLE. But they're some great pictures of my daughter.

So.....would you rescrap them or leave them be?

Also, for fun, show me the ones you'd want to rescrap from your own gallery.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know what you mean. What I have done is kept my old layouts because, like you said, it's an evolution and they're great pictures, but I have also used the same pictures in different layouts - baby pictures can be used in a "then and now" layout, you can use older photos in a collage sort of layout that uses several years of photos, or you can just scrap the same photos again but with a different "theme."
Old 10-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would keep them for memory's sake. In a couple of year's time you might end up not liking what you do these days, which would inevitably lead to re-doing everything every time your style / taste changes.

I'm weird and like my old LOs even though I prefer what I do these days, and the only time I re-do is because of the size (I started out doing a different format, so from time to time I turn the older ones to squares).

If you sometimes feel like it, you can re-use the photos on the old ones for new LOs, if not, you still have those old LOs. Memory remains a memory in whatever form.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I'm not big on redoing, either. Especially since the memory is more important to me, and I'd want to be sure I was caught up - I know not everyone has the same attitude towards scrapping, and that's cool. But my memory fails..I need to be sure I get them down before I got back and redo

That's not saying that some of my old paper scrapping layouts don't embarrass the heck out of me, but the boys still think they're fun now, and we can all laugh at them later
Old 10-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well I don't have any rules about only scrapbooking photos once, so if I liked the photos or had something else to say, I would scrap them again. I wouldn't seek out old layouts to redo though. Really the old layouts don't bother me, it's the newer layouts that didn't quite work the way I wanted that bother me a lot more, haha.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I have rescrapped some old ones cause I lost them all when my computer crashed!
this is one of my older ones {that actually I like}

but I redid it to this {even though the bath picture is not on this LO it is the same timeframe}

Last edited by nun69; 10-04-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

once i print them, i delete them. like darcy said, i scrap for the memory, not my scrapbooking 'skills'

Old 10-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I scrap for the memory too, but I have been known to rescrap old photos because the older LOs were just plain crap and I didn't want them anywhere in my scrapbooks. LOL
Old 10-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well said! I also scrap for the memory but some of them just hurt my eyes. I went through my gallery and in reality there are only 3-4 that I just can't cope with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
I scrap for the memory too, but I have been known to rescrap old photos because the older LOs were just plain crap and I didn't want them anywhere in my scrapbooks. LOL
Old 10-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaandjudah View Post
Well said! I also scrap for the memory but some of them just hurt my eyes. I went through my gallery and in reality there are only 3-4 that I just can't cope with.
I would totally just recape the ones that totally bother you. I mean, you want to think about the wonderful memories when you view a page and not how you wish you would have scrapped it differently.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlathrall View Post
I would totally just recape the ones that totally bother you. I mean, you want to think about the wonderful memories when you view a page and not how you wish you would have scrapped it differently.
In some way, the way you scrapped those LOs is a memory in itself. A memory of your scrapbooking beginnings. I think that's precious too. :-) My memory is very visually oriented - when I see a photo, I can remember my feelings at the time I made it, and also some details that I'd otherwise forget. Same with kits - they tend to trigger my memories as well.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:27 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

OMG... it is so funny you posted this because I was just going through old CDs yesterday with my DD and we were howling with laughter over some of our old LOs from when we first discovered digi-scrapping. I will have to dig them back out and post a couple even though I'm mortified at how awful they are.

It is the same with any hobby though. At my local scrapbook store today, the owner was telling me about how she looks back at her old cards and projects and is horrified about them now.

Total evolution.

The nice thing about digital is that you *can* go back and create a whole new layout now just for the heck of it because it isn't like paper scrapping where you have to reprint a photo and use new supplies.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I usually print into books, so I'm don't go back & redo LO's. It's too expensive to reprint the book just because I don't like it. I almost hate my 1st DD's 1st year book...lots of beveling & shadows, it's super ugly, but it is what it is.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

A little over a year ago I started redoing some of my older pages, but I realized a few months ago that I really don't want to redo them. This finally sank in when I started printing my layouts and I couldn't decide whether to print the original layout or the redo. Yes, some of my early layouts look pretty sad, but I like most of them because I did the layout for a challenge or a creative team or something else that I want to remember. The only ones that I'm redoing now are ones that really don't tell a story. If the page doesn't have journaling, I'm at least adding journaling before I print. Oh, and I have added drop shadows to some of my layouts before I printed them. I'm not even doing that anymore. They are what they are - and I scrap for the memories, not the artistic value of the layout.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've printed all of my layouts, the good, bad and ugly I definitely re-scrap photos though. I don't think of it as re-scrapping the page necessarily, just showcasing the memory in a different way.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:47 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I wouldn't rescrap them, and I'll explain why in a minute. But what really matters is how you feel about the pages. If you love those photos but can't enjoy looking at them because of the layout quality, then maybe you should re-do them.

Both my photography and digiscrapping skills have improved so much since I began 7 years ago. But I have so many photos and memories I haven't gotten into our books at all yet; I want to spend my scrapping time on those. I don't re-scrap photos unless there's a good reason beyond not liking the LO. The few photos I've scrapped more than once have generally been for "looking back" pages--so I may have scrapped a photo of someone's 1st birthday years ago for a page about their birthday and then do it again now for a page comparing all 3 of my kids at age 1.

When I look back at my earliest albums, there are plenty of pages that would make me cringe if I compared them to my current pages. But they're well journaled and help me remember our life then, so I'm happy enough with them. It's fun to look back and see where I started from as a scrapper. My family isn't evaluating my scrapping skills, and I think the quality difference would be more noticable if I re-scrapped a few pages and mixed pages from my current skill level with my 7-year old pages.

And just for fun, here are a few of my oldest digi pages. Designers have come a long way since 2004, too!

Last edited by rach3975; 10-05-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:28 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

The only thing I wouldn't do is throw out an old page. But if I have a new idea or a diffrent angle or something to add then I'll do it. There's no plan to redo all the pages/photos I paper scrapped but if the muse hits I'll follow.

It occured to me that this hobby is all about me. The bonus is that Niki will have a pretty well documented life but I do this because I want to do it. My way - so if I land up with 4 pages with the same pics, so what!!

I'd say if there's a page you want to redo, do it.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:33 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I keep all my pages, but I have re-scrapped many of my first ones. Sometimes because I ran out of stuff to scrap, or a way better kit appears for those specific photo's, but most of the time because I know I can do them better. Ive never printed anything though, so my thoughts will probably change when I do. But for now, if I get the urge to rescrap something then I do.