Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-10-2014, 12:30 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Photo Overload

For the last 4 or 5 weeks we've had a big picture taking event every week. Preschool graduation, a class play, Mother's Day, etc. Now I'm drowning in photos for those weeks and I don't want to deal with them. What I really want is for someone to come over, go through them for me, and give me 20 or 30 from each week to choose from. I need to make myself tackle them, but instead I've spent the last few days organizing supplies and playing online so I can keep putting it off. How do you deal (or not deal!) with with photo overload?
Old 06-10-2014, 02:27 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ha! I don't deal. I procrastinate big time. I have several hundred photos from my trip to the States, but I've only scrapped a couple of pages. I kind of don't really know where to start, so I do nothing. It's a system that works for me
Old 06-10-2014, 06:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd pick a few from an event and put them in pockets -- and scrapbook the rest in a big regular page devoted to the event later. For the ones in pockets though, I'd choose either a few standouts (maybe 3 or so) or turn a few 4x6 pockets into collage squares and incorporate maybe 5 or so photos in a square.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I try to keep a Word document with dates and a little journaling about the events/days so that when I do finally come around to it, I don't forget the special little things like what was said or that little detail that made the day special that wasn't obvious from the pictures.

I also try to stuff one or two pictures in a Project Life layout and set aside the big pics for later. I have a hard time choosing which pictures I love most however lol.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the advice (and commiseration)! I have journaling notes done, and I am planning to scrap a few of the best ones from each event on their own non-pocket LO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashersmommy View Post
I have a hard time choosing which pictures I love most however lol.
LOL-this is where I'm getting hung up! A quick look through didn't turn up a small number that were much better than the others, and I don't want to go back through and have to look at them all critically. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with PL. I love that it has forced me to get control of my photo clutter and deal with photos on a weekly basis, before there are so many that I get intimidated and do nothing with them. But I also hate that I have to put in the weekly time to be on top of my photos. It's easy on the weeks that I just use my phone, but when we have a big photo event and I take out my real camera I end up with mountains of photos. I need to learn photo-taking restraint. (And my family needs to learn to cooperate so that I can take a handful of good photos and then put the camera away, rather than having to take photos stealthily all day in hopes of getting a few decent ones.) At least it falls in the category of "good problems to have."

Last edited by rach3975; 06-11-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclelady View Post
I'd pick a few from an event and put them in pockets -- and scrapbook the rest in a big regular page devoted to the event later. For the ones in pockets though, I'd choose either a few standouts (maybe 3 or so) or turn a few 4x6 pockets into collage squares and incorporate maybe 5 or so photos in a square.
This is what I do!
Old 06-12-2014, 11:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've had a pile sitting around too. Mine were most end of school year photos with outdoor school adventures thrown in.

My son is in summer camp every day and it's too far for me to drive home, so I take my computer to the library and am making myself catch up. Having this scheduled time has helped.

Plus, I bought a new kit from the store that I really wanted to play with just for these photos. Nothing like having some great new product to get me going!
Old 06-16-2014, 11:44 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I split my screen, I open my photo viewer on the right and Elements on the left. I look at the pics and then move over only the ones I really like. Once I know how many I have then I look for a template that will work. With Traci's 365 Unscripted #6 you could easily fit lots of tiny pics on a page if you really wanted to. Once I pick my template I stick with it and add and subtract photos. I but my photos in first and then I embellish.

When I'm totally overwhelmed with a special event for the week I either dedicate that whole week to the one even - so two whole pages for the event or pick one photo to represent the event and then I can do another layout for our family album about the event so I can keep my PL moving. Don't sweat it. You don't need every photo. Pick 1-2 for the event and get your week done. You can always come back and make a mini album about the even when (and if) you get caught up. Just another way to think about it.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! For the first time in a long time, today I had a big chunk of kid-free time to spend however I wanted, and it motivated me to tackle all these photos. I didn't get anything scrapped yet (and I didn't expect to), but the last 6 weeks of photos are finally sorted and ready to work with. I know what's going on my PL pages, what's getting scrapped separately, and what's not making it into the album at all. It feels so good to be back on top of it!
Old 06-26-2014, 07:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am also always collecting hundreds of photos until I get myself together to finally edit and save them with dates. ;-) Usually I do that when I can not sleep.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttt83 View Post
I am also always collecting hundreds of photos until I get myself together to finally edit and save them with dates. ;-) Usually I do that when I can not sleep.
What program do you use to edit? You can batch rename them with dates when you import them from the camera. I do this and have them go into a folder by day. And glad your insomnia is at least productive...mine just means the TV is on and I'm desperately trying to find something to watch!
Old 06-27-2014, 08:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use photoshop I have all dates in my filenames and folders. But I am always creating new folders and name them with some details. I am complicated lol, but it works fine for me. (and keep the unedited ones too)
I gave up watching TV when I can´t sleep. Usually I am watching stuff like Roseanne or Golden Girls lol.