Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm
Default Shadows and Photo Effects

I'm just starting to get back into scrapping again after a hiatus and I'm still using shadow styles from way back when. I notice that some people have more definition to their shadows and although I know how to adjust them, I'm curious if everyone tends to use more of a style approach like I do to this or if you adjust shadows with every layout. Any tips on making my elements/papers pop a little more with shadows? I'm using PS CS5.

Also was wondering if you tend to use photo effects a lot and if so which are your favorites from the store? I get impatient and don't want to fiddle around with my photos too much so actions are usually a good way to go for me.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Can you give me some examples of layouts that have the look you're interested in achieving? That would be helpful.

I use some basic actions that I made myself to boost brightness and sharpen (usually my actions are just: levels, high pass filter, curve, and a transparent color overlay of some sort). I also have a B&W action called "Gorman Holbert BW Conversion"... it's awesome, can't remember if I bought it or got it for free. I also grabbed some free ones online... CoffeShop, MCP, and a few free ones by My 4 Hens. If you google 'free photo actions' you can find some good stuff.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

There are some awesome shadowing tutorials in the Tutorial section you might want to check out before purchasing actions. These really help give you some different looks.

I also like to search on You Tube to find someone that shows you how to do it step by step.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:28 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I guess I feel like many times my layouts look flatter to me and I've tried adjusting shadow settings since then. I have slightly darkened and increased the size of the shadows for certain objects on a layout, but I'm always second guessing myself. Maybe I'm just being too critical lol. I may have to play with making some new actions, too, like suggested.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think your shadows are perfectly fine. However, you might want to try to play with them a bit. I personally don't use styles/actions for shadows. Instead, what I do is the following:
1. I start applying shadow to the top elements of my layout (usually a flower).
2. I copy this "layer style" (right click on the layer-->copy layer style)
3. Paste this shadow (layer style) to all elements and then adjust each that I don't like enough because sometimes the layer style that I pasted is either too dark or too light; too shallow or too deep so I adjust it to my liking.
I sometimes like to make a layer of that shadow style and warp it a bit for a more interesting look (e.g. on ribbons' ends).
Do check the tutorials, I believe they're very good.
--
Mama to Albert
Old 07-09-2015, 04:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Andrea, I would definitely check out our tutorial section on shadows, there are lots of great tips included. I wrote a couple of them way back when. There are a lot of effective techniques and there is definitely no one size fits all for everyone
Old 07-09-2015, 04:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelia View Post
I think your shadows are perfectly fine. However, you might want to try to play with them a bit. I personally don't use styles/actions for shadows. Instead, what I do is the following:
1. I start applying shadow to the top elements of my layout (usually a flower).
2. I copy this "layer style" (right click on the layer-->copy layer style)
3. Paste this shadow (layer style) to all elements and then adjust each that I don't like enough because sometimes the layer style that I pasted is either too dark or too light; too shallow or too deep so I adjust it to my liking.
I sometimes like to make a layer of that shadow style and warp it a bit for a more interesting look (e.g. on ribbons' ends).
Do check the tutorials, I believe they're very good.
I don't know what program you use, but did you know you can save your own layer styles so you don't have to recreate them with each page? Everyone has a different method, but I find being able to reuse the styles I frequently use to be a lot easier than making loads of adjustments on each page. I have about 7-8 shadows that I regularly use on my pages. I do make adjustments, but it definitely reduces the amount of time I spend modifying the layers.

Last edited by SeattleSheri; 07-09-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love using pre-made shadow styles, and usually I'd tweak them a bit to fit the page that I'm scrapping. I'd use pre-made shadows when I put papers & embellishments, and then after I'm done, I'd take a final look at the overall page and tweak some element/paper shadows if needed.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:44 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I pretty much only use Jenn Barrette's styles from the shoppe for my shadows, Im lazy like that.
https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/s...d=21075&page=1
Old 07-25-2015, 08:31 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

I also so not use actions with shadows. I enjoy playing around with the adjustments. Like Anelia, I start with the top elements. Most of the time copy/paste the layer style to most elements. Thanks for the tutorials learned some new things too.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Here's a tutorial I wrote, about how I do my shadows: https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/t...ghten-up-baby/
At the end of the tutorial there's a link to a free shadow style by Krystal. I use hers ALL the time because I don't like really dark shadows. I like the page to look more natural. I see some lovely pages in the gallery that are overwhelmed with super dark shadows, and often think that if they'd only lighten their shadows a bit they'd have a stunning page.