Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-13-2017, 01:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default What I did on summer vacation . . .

So, who's had summer vacations so far? Please share where you went and/or what you did! Was it all you hoped and dreamed?

We spent last week in Nova Scotia, Canada. We rented a house with my in-laws right on the coast. Aside from it being a difficult place to get to from Arizona (and the airline losing my hubby's luggage) we had a fantastic time. The weather was rainy right at the beginning and end of the trip but, otherwise, was glorious! We enjoyed the house which had gorgeous views of the ocean and inlets in every direction, we drove along the coast to quaint little fishing villages, saw the worldecord tides at the Bay of Fundy, ate tons of seafood, had a "sports day" where we played mini-golf, went candle-pin bowling and took a beautiful hike along the shore, and went shopping, dining and touring in Halifax. We really enjoyed spending time with hubby's parents. Just pretty much a great summer vacation.

How about you?
Old 07-13-2017, 02:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

sounds wonderful!1

We have been on a few weekend trips camping and lake house. We are LOVING summer so far!!
Old 07-14-2017, 04:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Both of our vacations this year were kind of a wash.

We spent a week in/around Mammoth Cave, KY and a long weekend over the Fourth of July at a lake in Tennessee.

Going with family and all that baggage that entails + a mixmatch of expectations/things to do + a wide age range made both vacations not-so-fun. There were fun moments, but overall, not something we will be repeating next year without some major changes.

Having a 3yo didn't help matters, either, since it makes it hard to plan things he + everyone else can do & he just takes more hands-on time since he has to be changed, fed, etc. My two kids are the youngest on both sides of the family (and they are almost 5 years apart) so he doesn't have cousins to 'pal around' with like my daughter does.

Last edited by LeeAndra; 07-14-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:06 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Nothing exciting yet! We are going away to western NY in August.

We have had plenty of leisurely beach and pool days so far. And the kids have done some camps. Next weekend we are going to see a Cirque Du Soliel show, Ovo, which will be exciting.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Going with family and all that baggage that entails + a mixmatch of expectations/things to do + a wide age range made both vacations not-so-fun. There were fun moments, but overall, not something we will be repeating next year without some major changes.

Having a 3yo didn't help matters, either, since it makes it hard to plan things he + everyone else can do & he just takes more hands-on time since he has to be changed, fed, etc. My two kids are the youngest on both sides of the family (and they are almost 5 years apart) so he doesn't have cousins to 'pal around' with like my daughter does.
Yes, I remember those days well. I always half dreaded vacations until my kids got more self-sufficient. Little kids require too much stuff and are too inflexible to make vacations very relaxing.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Next weekend we are going to see a Cirque Du Soliel show, Ovo, which will be exciting.
I LOVE Cirque du Soleil! I'm jealous! Is it a traveling show? I feel like they so rarely come here to Phoenix.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:29 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
I LOVE Cirque du Soleil! I'm jealous! Is it a traveling show? I feel like they so rarely come here to Phoenix.
Yes, it is! They come to Miami and Ft. Lauderdale often. I haven't been to see one since I was pregnant with my son 11 years ago, so I am stoked. This show has a ton of aerial acts so it should be amazing from what I've heard.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I leave for Ireland next week, getting so excited! Was looking at going on the boat mid August for a few days but that will probably not happen as I just started a little part time job on the weekends.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It's winter here, and we're spending 11 days of the 2 week school holiday break with my in-laws in the South Island of New Zealand. It snowed here the other day which the kids were delighted about, and we went up to the ski field yesterday. Well we tried to. They ended up closing the road to the ski field because the upper car parks were full, so we ended up finding a park nearby and the kids played on the hills there instead.

We've got 3 more days here before we head home. The kids love winter, but me....not so much.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Our summer started early in the end of May with a trip to Italy for my brother-in-laws wedding... spend 10 days touring Venice, Padua, Pisa and Rome. It was a great trip outside of a few clash of personalities... our group included hubby, kiddo and me... my parents... my husband's 92 year old grandma and 82 year old aunt.

Then at end of June, we had a long weekend in Utah. My mom was presented with award and had to present at the Hearing Loss Association of American National Convention in Salt Lake City. We flew out at the end of her convention and then we toured Salt Lake City, drove up into Idaho to visit the Idaho Potato Museum and the Oregon Trail Museum, came back to SLC to see the Great Salt Lake and Copper Mine - and got to meet up with a few of our favorite digi friends that live there!

Now we are on a well need break... no plans for travel in the near future, but things can change if hubby finds a great deal on airfare!
Old 07-16-2017, 09:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We haven't traveled yet but this summer has been busy! We started it with my sister's wedding, car problems leading to buying a new car, getting a puppy, and family coming into town. We've had 4H almost every morning, hiking, more family coming into Utah to visit, doctor visits/surgeries, and so much more. It's been fun, crazy, and exhausting

We leave for the Oregon coast in a few weeks to spend a week there with my family. We'll come home a few days before school starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2017, 07:27 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We attended a conference in Thailand, so we snuck in a quick trip to visit friends in Laos. It was so much fun! Laos is so beautiful, and after living in the Philippines with its 100 million citizens, Laos felt almost empty (its population is only 6 million). I would move there if only their language wasn't so hard (and also if we had a job ; ) Now that we're back, though, the days just feel so long and boring.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
I leave for Ireland next week, getting so excited! Was looking at going on the boat mid August for a few days but that will probably not happen as I just started a little part time job on the weekends.
Ireland is on my bucket list! Bet it is beautiful this time of year!
Old 07-18-2017, 12:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
It's winter here, and we're spending 11 days of the 2 week school holiday break with my in-laws in the South Island of New Zealand. It snowed here the other day which the kids were delighted about, and we went up to the ski field yesterday. Well we tried to. They ended up closing the road to the ski field because the upper car parks were full, so we ended up finding a park nearby and the kids played on the hills there instead.

We've got 3 more days here before we head home. The kids love winter, but me....not so much.
The whole summer/winter flip always amazes me. I imagine that it might get annoying when most of Europe & N. America are blathering on about summer when it's winter in the Southern Hemisphere.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:36 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We leave this weekend for 6 day road trip. We did two huge vacations last year so this year we are sticking with a smaller trip. I'm pretty excited.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Our summer started early in the end of May with a trip to Italy for my brother-in-laws wedding... spend 10 days touring Venice, Padua, Pisa and Rome. It was a great trip outside of a few clash of personalities... our group included hubby, kiddo and me... my parents... my husband's 92 year old grandma and 82 year old aunt.

Then at end of June, we had a long weekend in Utah. My mom was presented with award and had to present at the Hearing Loss Association of American National Convention in Salt Lake City. We flew out at the end of her convention and then we toured Salt Lake City, drove up into Idaho to visit the Idaho Potato Museum and the Oregon Trail Museum, came back to SLC to see the Great Salt Lake and Copper Mine - and got to meet up with a few of our favorite digi friends that live there!

Now we are on a well need break... no plans for travel in the near future, but things can change if hubby finds a great deal on airfare!
Um, wow! busy summer! What a great combination of trips/activities.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaneejean View Post
We haven't traveled yet but this summer has been busy! We started it with my sister's wedding, car problems leading to buying a new car, getting a puppy, and family coming into town. We've had 4H almost every morning, hiking, more family coming into Utah to visit, doctor visits/surgeries, and so much more. It's been fun, crazy, and exhausting

We leave for the Oregon coast in a few weeks to spend a week there with my family. We'll come home a few days before school starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like you've had lots of excitement in your summer even without vacation! I've always wanted to go to the Oregon coast. I've heard it's beautiful.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
We attended a conference in Thailand, so we snuck in a quick trip to visit friends in Laos. It was so much fun! Laos is so beautiful, and after living in the Philippines with its 100 million citizens, Laos felt almost empty (its population is only 6 million). I would move there if only their language wasn't so hard (and also if we had a job ; ) Now that we're back, though, the days just feel so long and boring.
Your life seems so adventurous to me. I have visited Thailand (would love to go back even though I got the chicken pox there) but can't imagine living and routinely traveling around Asia. I'd love to, though! Adding Laos to my bucket list maybe combined with a trip to Cambodia -- which has been near the top of my bucket list forever.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
We leave this weekend for 6 day road trip. We did two huge vacations last year so this year we are sticking with a smaller trip. I'm pretty excited.
We did a short road trip early in the summer and I really enjoyed it. I think America is so diverse and fun to meander around.