Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree
Default Are these hives?

Just a little background: C has an ear infection and has been on amoxil since Monday Feb 1st. He has been congested and snotty and I thought he sounded wheezy so we went back to the doctors yesterday and he was diagnosed with RSV and is on albuterol. Well at the appointment yesterday we discovered a rash on his stomach and the ped said it's probably just the virus "coming out" and to watch it and if it starts to look like hives to let him know. Well I've never seen a hive, I've been lucky enough to never have them and none of my kids have had them so I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for, but as of this morning that rash now covers his entire body....it's even on his palms and the soles of his feet It's red and "dotty" and it looks raised but it's not really. I *THINK* I can feel it and then I think I can't. I don't have the luxuary of just running into the peds since we are in the middle of a blizzard but if I had enough people think it's hives I'll call and see if he wants me to fax him or email him the photos. So what do you think (I had to use the flash since I was trying to hold a wiggley baby, cover his privates and take the pictures so I edited them to darken them a bit and bump up the contrast, but surprisingly they look like almost what I see with the naked eye!!)

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 02-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just went to webmd to look up roseola (which I think that looks like to me).

this link has a slide show, and this definitely doesn't look like the hives they have pictured:

http://children.webmd.com/slideshow-...-skin-problems

My kids both had roseola at around 6 months. They had fevers for a few days, then once the fever went away, they broke out ALL OVER with a rash like the one in your pictures (their rashes looked more like yours than in the webmd pic). They acted like they felt fine the entire time they had the horrible rash, too.

I would say not hives...does he seem to be itchy? I know, hard to tell with an infant! but if he's not showing visible discomfort/frustration, I'd vote that it is NOT hives.

HTH!

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Since you already have the photos why don't you just give the Ped's office a call and ask if you can e-mail the photos so they can take a look.

Hope he feels better soon.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was initially going to say no but I looked on Wikipedia and found this picture:

That looks like your poor baby's rash. I would put a call into the doctor.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Nope no discomfort infact he's sitting right here beside me just a boouncing in his bouncer and jabber, cooing and laughing like there is no tomorrow!!!

And now he just filled his diaper

After 5 kids you would think I have seen it all, but I guess I just freaked out because I've never seen a rash cover the entire body!!

Elizabeth

Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I second a vote for emailing in the pics. I hope your sweet one gets better soon! Keep us posted!
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My daughter had a rash like that after taking an antibiotic and the ER doctor said it was an allergic reaction to the med. He said it was an amoxicillan rash. I would contact your doctor.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissab View Post
My daughter had a rash like that after taking an antibiotic and the ER doctor said it was an allergic reaction to the med. He said it was an amoxicillan rash. I would contact your doctor.
dito, owen had a reaction to amoxicillan. we just had to change his prescription but i remember being scared to death. i would say it looks like more than just a "rash" because it is everywhere on his body. it warrants a call to the dr.

poor bubby and poor mommy!

Old 02-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had a rash like that when I was a child and I was taking amoxil. And two years ago, DS took amoxil and got a rash like that. I think it's a common effect of amoxil. I went to the Children's Hospital with DS, but there was nothing they could do for it, it goes away by it's own. Of course, we stopped the antibiotic, but I think there was only 2 or 3 doses left.

BTW, I have also had hives when taking another kind of antibiotics, and I can tell you, it itches! This amoxil rash was not uncomfortable.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissab View Post

Madelyn also had a reaction like this when she had an allergic reaction to amox.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Another vote for a reaction to the meds. My sister, while our family was on a vacation states away from home, had the same exact reaction to amox. She was older (around 7 years old), but she was covered head to toe with the same rash.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've had hives lots of times and I'm pretty sure what your baby has aren't it. It's probably just a reaction to the meds.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Yup. Most likely an antibiotic rash. Not an allergic reaction. Hives that occur with allergic reaction are larger and more 'whelpy' and they do itch. Still should call your doc.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Hives are more like welts ... I get hives when I haven anything related to penicillin. But with the rash spread all over, I'd definitely contact the doc -- I was on an antibiotic for something else but it masked the symptoms of strep throat. It wasn't until I broke out in a rash kinda like that one that they realized I had scarlet fever. Better safe than sorry, right?
Old 02-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My son had a rash exactly like that and it was from the antibiotics.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've had many medication related "hives" ... including to sulfa and penicillin ... mine were raised ... and they CAN cover your entire body but they are itchier than all get out!!

I would call the pediatrician to see if there is a way to "share" the photos ... especially if you can just give them a link to your photobucket or something... it could be they will start "raising" if you give him more medication and he is allergic to it. ...just keep a VERY VERY VERY close watch and if it gets worse...get him checked out ASAP!
Old 02-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Susan Bartolini

I agree with everyone else, I would email these photos and call your doctor. Looks like a reaction. Better safe than sorry.

Susan
Old 02-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny

My son had the exact same reaction to antibiotics when he was a year old. Its a reaction to the antibiots, but don't confuse that with ALLERGY. What my Connor had (and what your Callum probably has) is a harmless reaction to the antiobiotics. He'll probably grow out of it before he turns 2 (Connor did). It never bothered Connor. He was happy as a clam like nothing was going on.

BUT... its worth a call to the doc. You can never be too careful.

eta: I should add that Connor also had it EVERYWHERE. Palms of hand and feet, eyelids, groin, etc.

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 02-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny

You might not be able to see these pics very well, but here is a very old LO I made with photos from when Connor had that rash...

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 02-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Yep, amox rash. Mine have had it too.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

I get hives occassionally and mine don't look exactly like that. He'd be itchy if he had them, and they tend to come on really fast. With me at least. Might be different in babies.
Looks like an allergic reaction of some sort. ditto the other girls.
Hope he's feeling better soon
Old 02-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Evie got this way by having an allergic reaction to amoxicillian. Looked just like this.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks guys I did call our Ped and he had me email the photos to him and he is positive (he did actually see it yesterday when it was just on C's belly) that it is not hive and is not an allergic reaction to the amoxil. It's still either just the virus coming through or a delayed reaction to the antibiotics. No need for us to be see since C's last dose was this morning but he did give me a dosage amount for benadryl "just in case" and told me that if it looks like it starts bothering him to rub him down with a bit of hydrocortisone cream!!

Elizabeth

Old 02-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My son had a rash just like that when he was about six months old and it turned out he had an allergic reaction to oatmeal that I had just started feeding him. My pediatrician told me to give him Benadryl and it went away.

You could also try Eucerin cream.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Just as an FYI ... especially since we're talking a little one ... if the Benadryl has red dye in it ... if it looks worse after you give it to him ... check to see if there is "dye free" for that age. I found out after a bunch of reactions to sulfa, penicillin, etc. ... that I was allergic to the red dye in the Benadryl!! I was so happy when they came out with the dye free ... in fact my Allergist met me at the door with a "sample" when it did! lol