Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Can you stand more make-up talk? Redness...

I don't wear makeup often so I didn't post in the threads about make-up. However, I do suffer from what I believe is rosacea. I can't seem to find a foundation that will cover the redness. Its not horrible but I always look like I'm blushing or have a slight sunburn. I want something light. Cream makeup seems to get stuck in my pores and to my dry skin cells making me look a lot older than I am. Something liquid or powder would be better, but I especially want something light. Suggestions?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Sherri - I've been using bare minerals for 'that time of the month' when I get a little redder than usual, or for church. While it doesn't take away the red, it tones it down a lot. I've also found that I use a little blush just under my eyes to help even out the difference in their white compared to the red..and it just gives me a more even look.

It's worked so far
Old 04-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I used to get serious redness, especially in the winter. I also had a really hard time finding foundation to cover up the problem. I started using Hope in a Jar moisturizer by Philosophy in October and it has made such a huge difference in the amount of redness on my face. While it isn't gone completely, now I am able to use normal foundation to cover the remaining redness. It may not be a miracle cure for everyone, but it seems to be for me.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:40 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

You need to moisturize before putting makeup on and then if you want to use makeup, probably something with a yellow tone to it.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

Sherri, I have rosacea, too, and like Terra mentioned, a good moisturizer/skin tone evener is really what helped me more than finding the right make up (which I don't wear often at all). In the past, the best I've ever used is Estee Lauder Idealist Even Skintone Illuminator. It's pricey, but that little bit does go a long way. I'd love to find something that has the same effect but cheaper, though.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Redheads naturally tend to have red/ruddy skin. I know I do. I see you have red hair in your avatar and it looks like you are a natural redhead -- so that may be your problem. My mama, who is also a redhead, has a much redder complexion than I do and she has to work harder at covering it up.

There are many things you can do to help calm the red. Clinique has an entire line of skin products as well as foundations that are specifically for red/ruddy skin. I think it is important to start at the source -- your skin. A good skin routine is essential. It doesn't have to be Clinque's -- while my Mama uses theirs I tend to mix and match my skin products. Someone mentioned earlier Philosophies moisturizer. Philosophy has a fabulous skincare line. It can really make a huge difference in the texture of your skin. They have value packages that contain cleanser, treatment, and moisturizer. I have personally used them and have had really great results. And... both Clinique and Philosophy aren't too expensive -- they are actually a few dollars less than most of their competitors (at least for their skincare products).

After you work on your skin you can start trying to find a way to cover up some of that redness. Smashbox has a foundation primer that has a green base -- which is the color you need to counteract the red. Yellow can work as well -- but green is usually preferred. I personally didn't see much of a difference when I used it -- but there are people who swear by it. There are many other makeup companies who offer similar products. For foundation you don't necessarily need a really heavy one. When my skin is redder than normal I use the one that Clinque makes. It really does cover up almost all of my red -- and I don't need to use a ton of it to accomplish it. If I add some loose powder to set it -- that helps even more.

HTH

Eva

Eva Kipler
BLOGSWEET SHOPPE STORE TWITTER FACEBOOK FAN PAGE NEWSLETTER SIGNUP

♥ SNAG IF YOU ARE A FAN! ♥ ------------->
Old 04-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks everyone!

Eva, I am a natural redhead. I never realized that it was a redhead thing. Its really only been the last 5 years or so for me that I've had the redness to my face. I figured it was an age thing. Then again, it may have been there before but I'm just noticing it more now as I'm scrutinizing my skin more now that I'm in my late 30's.

I will look in to some of these suggestions and try some out. I use tons of moisturizer and I still have dry patches at the bridge of my nose and around my eyebrows. Those places aren't red but when I use foundation they stick out because of the dry skin.